MARKING HIS TERRITORY

Foolish
After that awkward, less than successful date with Simon, the night could only get better, right? Wrong! I should have known no good could come out of a night out alone with Gerald. I wish I could say that we had a wonderful time dancing and drinking the night away but that’s just not how things work out when the two of us are within close proximity.

None of us were familiar with the cool places to go to in that distant town but I was thrilled to explore new places.

“This place looks totally happening. I pick this one Ge!”

Gerald: I don’t know Kimmy. There seems to be a lot of big bikes outside.

“The more reason why we should check this place out! Is there any place cooler?”

I have always wanted to be friends with a bikie. They seem so cool and Mel told me that they are actually the nicest people despite the intimidating exterior.

It’s always been one of my wild dreams to hit it off with such a cool crowd along with my wish to one day check out a strip club and a shop. (By no means are those dreams a reflection of what’s really inside my head.) I know most people my age would have done all that but I have never had the opportunity. Tonight is one of those nights that I get to cross out one of the lists on my ‘things to do before I die’ checklist.

Gerald: Kimmy this is a mistake. Let’s go somewhere else.

Oh I am so not letting Gerald stand in the way of my life’s success! Trust him to sabotage my strategy everytime!

“Gerald, don’t be such a wuss. Sure some of these guys’ muscles may be a little over the top but we’re all here for the same reason…to have a good time.”

Gerald: No Kim, trust me on this. I’m not leaving without you. Let’s go.

“Will you snap out of it and stop being so judgemental? Come on, let’s get some alcohol in your system so you can chill.”

I did feel a little uneasy as I was dragging Gerald towards the bar. They seem to have a dress code at that club which involves tattoos, metal chains, metal piercings and anything metal. I could see why Gerald insisted that we were totally out of place there. A few of them even stopped and looked at us in a less than welcoming manner. I was starting to think that maybe I should have listened to Gerald.

“Hey there pretty lady!” I jumped at the sight of a scruffy looking man with bulging muscles, handing me a bottle of beer. “Compliments from my boss Brandon, over there.” He pointed to this even bigger, scarier looking dude that could surely snap both me and Gerald into pieces just for fun. Oh !

Gerald: Sorry brother, she’s with me.

I could tell from his shaking hands wrapped around me that poor Gerald was nervous as hell. I snuggled closer grateful for the offered protection no matter how useless it may be.

Bikey #1: I ain’t no brother of yours little boy!

I held my breath, praying for dear life. I could not thank God enough when the scary biker dude surprisingly left and walked back to their pool table. I turned to face Gerald who was still holding me tight and I rubbed his arms.

Gerald: Are you okay? We should definitely go.

I could only manage to nod, still holding my breath until we could get ourselves safely out the door. Unfortunately the boss Brandon stood in our way of freedom and survival.

Brandon: Leaving so soon beautiful?

Gerald: We have a family emergency.

Brandon: Let the woman speak boy! Guys like you are the reason why women struggle to get equal rights.

His voice was so loud, dominating the whole club, that everyone turned around to witness our whole fiasco. I swallowed a lump on my throat and almost squeaked when his huge hands lifted my chin.

Brandon: Have a drink and sit with us beautiful.

. I never thought that I could die this young. They weren’t kidding when they said life is short! Taking their drink is as good as drinking a whole lot of dangerous drugs.

“Uhm…I appreciate the offer but we really have to go. Perhaps next time when we have no family emergency?”

Brandon: You are not rudely turning me down in front of my mates here are you?

Goodbye cruel world! Maybe I’ll have more chance of survival if I try to get along with this scary- men.

“No! Of course not! In fact, I was just about to take that beer.”

Gerald: What are you doing?!

“Relax sweetheart. Just one beer and we’ll go okay?”

I gave Gerald a little, shaky smile, trying to convince him to play along.

Brandon: That’s my girl! Give pretty boy over here a beer too will ya, Butch?

“Drink real slow and as little as possible.” Gerald whispered calmly as we sat down with the bikers.

“Maybe we can leave quicker if we get through our drink faster?” I whispered back shakily.

“Just do it okay?” He held my hand as two bottles of beers were placed before us.

I could see that he was going through his beer like he was a parched drifter, seeing water for the first time after days without a drink. I listened to Butch’s story that glorified his boss, feigning fascination and interest.

As I held my beer, getting ready to take another tiny sip, Gerald pulled my arm down. He swapped my full beer bottle with his empty one. That was awfully chivalrous of him. I have always known that he’s a good guy despite all our bickering but I have never appreciated his presence in my life until this night. I know he totally hates the taste of beer.

I placed a hand on his lap and gave him a thank you smile. If we survive this night, I am going to buy him something nice. Maybe help him find a date.

Brandon: I like your girl here pretty boy. She sure is a hot little thing. Is she your girlfriend?

Gerald: Yes. She’s my girlfriend.

Brandon: I’m gonna take her home unless you can mark your territory.

Mark his territory? What does that even mean? I know dogs do that by weeing on their ‘territory’. I sure hope this thing doesn’t involve Gerald draining his lizard on me. Gross! But then again…if that’s the only way for us to be granted a much desired life extension…

“I’m so sorry about this Kimmy.” He whispered as he held me close.

“You can do it Ge.”

Brandon: We ain’t seen nothing yet pretty boy and our patience is fast running out!

Oh God! They wanted him to pee on me right there in front of the whole club? Poor Ge, he is about to expose his privates just to save us.

Before I could think of something to say to the bikers, Gerald’s lips was kissing mine! Whoah! Is this what ‘marking your territory’ means in human lingo? I supposed I have to respond as best I could to make it clear that I am very well Gerald’s territory.

We were kissing like our lives depended on it because well…our lives did depend on it! I was surprised how good a kisser Gerald actually is that for a good minute there, his lips and tongue took me to another world where it’s just the two of us and we weren’t in present danger. I don’t remember his kisses being that mind-blowing the first time we kissed back in high school…but then again, I was drunk that time…and that was both our first kiss ever…I guess he has learnt a thing or two in the kissing department since then.

I was surprised and a little freaked out to feel a pang of disappointment when our lips had to part. At that point I actually didn’t mind running out of oxygen and dying from his kiss than any other forms of death. The kiss of death. How tragically romantic! Man! This must be what that emergency fight or flight response can do.

Brandon: I’m not convinced. I’ll show your woman how a real man claims his girl!

I gasped as Gerald swiftly maneuvered my body so I was lying down on the table. He claimed my lips like I was the most desirable woman he had ever gotten his hands into.

I could feel the heat from his muscled chest on top of me, rubbing against my body. The friction was causing intense heat deep in my loins and I found myself and whimpering against his touch. Man! I never knew he had it in him! This guy sure knows how to turn on parts of my anatomy long neglected! I could not stop kissing him.

I was mentally scolding myself for enjoying the way his hot mouth felt against mine. This is sick. This is almost like . He’s practically family but I can’t stop wishing that we were in bed……just the two of us! I shouldn’t be lusting for him! This is like so against rules of humanity!

I was all breathless and flustered as he pulled me up. That was when I noticed the whistles and applause surrounding us.

Biker: That was hot!

Brandon: I can respect that. Go take your woman home!

I was still a little dazed and wobbly but he didn’t have to tell us twice. We were out of there before he could even finish his sentence. I don’t even remember tripping and leaving one shoe behind on our way out, in a Cinderella fashion. Heck, everything was so fuzzy, I don’t even recall my feet ever reaching the ground! Was I floating? I don’t know which one was the offending hallucinogen…Gerald’s kisses or something mixed in that tiny drop of beer?

Gerald quickly drove the car out of there and stopped only when he felt that we were at a safe distance away from those scary bikies. I started shaking, the minute he wrapped his arms tightly around me and rubbed his palm up and down my back to comfort me.

Gerald: Oh honey! I’m so sorry. Don’t worry Kimmy, we’re safe now okay?

I couldn’t understand what I was feeling. It was a combination of fear, disgust and the thrill of being kissed and d in front of a crowd. My lips as well as my insides were still tingling. I could still feel his luscious lips pressed hardly against mine. My body was craving for his heat.

It was just so wrong in so many levels. I was mentally cheating on Josh, enjoying the warmth and comfort that Gerald was providing. We were on the brink of joining all those dead souls just a few minutes ago…my mind should be focused on the grave danger we were just in…instead, I could not shake Gerald off my system.

“Ge, I should drive.”

Gerald: Don’t be silly hun. I’m not letting you drive after what we just had to go through. You’re still all shaken up sweety. I’ll drive you home first then we’ll talk okay?

I could only nod trying to reassure myself that all these things that I am feeling are really just an aftermath of the terrifying ordeal that we just went through. By tomorrow, surely these feelings will all go away and Gerald and I will be back to strangling each other. This must be what people describe as post traumatic stress disorder that most soldiers suffer from.

***********************************************************

At last, although my nerves were still very excitable, I was relieved to finally be in the comfort of my own home. I was back in my foolish reverie as Gerald surprised me with one long, heartfelt embrace. Snap out of it Kimberly!

Gerald: I didn’t know what was going to happen back there but I feared the worse. I can’t believe we made it back home!

“I know. I’m sorry Ge. You tried to warn me but my stubborn streak almost got us chopped to pieces.”

Gerald: Don’t be sorry Kimmy. I’m just so happy nothing too awful happened to us. Are you sure you’re okay?

“For the millionth time Ge, I’m okay. Just a little shaken up but I’m fine.”

Gerald: You know, what happened to us tonight got me thinking about how many things in life I still want to accomplish. While we were surrounded by those big guys, all I could think of was that I still have a very important unfinished business and I am not ready to leave this world just yet. I could have died without telling the one important person in my life about how I really feel.

“Don’t worry Ge. You’ll find that girl, that love-of-your-life one day.”

Gerald: You must have been thinking the same thing…about Josh I mean.

“Uhm Josh? Uhm, yeah. I mean, there were too many things to process at once but I guess Josh was partly on my thoughts as well...in between the fear of being a victim of a heinous crime and trying to find an escape.”

I probably thought of Josh once, for a second. Gerald’s kiss abruptly deleted all those thoughts of Josh that have taken permanent residence on my brain for so many years. Unbelievable! I never would have expected that I’ll be lusting for Gerald while I’m on the brink of death!

It felt cold all of a sudden…I didn’t want his arms to let go. What is wrong with me?

Gerald: Are you going to tell him about your feelings?

“Eventually. This is not the right time though. Maybe that’s one reason why God let us out of that danger. We haven’t accomplished our purpose…it’s not fair to kill me when I haven’t even kissed Josh yet.”

Gerald: Oh, right…he’s the reason for your will to live. Josh is one lucky guy and he doesn’t even know it. Speaking of kiss though…

“Ge, if you are worried about me being mad, don’t even think about it. That kiss saved our lives. I’m sure it was just as traumatic for you to do to something that intimate with an arch enemy.”

Gerald: I wouldn’t exactly call kissing you traumatic. Coming close to becoming one of those huge bikie guys’ …now that’s traumatic. I just feel really bad that I had to do something that intimate with you in front of all those people, against your will.

“Look, it’s done now so let’s put that whole thing behind us. We got out safe all thanks to you. I can endure a little round of humiliation in exchange for a life extension. At least I had to do it with you and not with any of those men in that club. Besides none of those people know us anyway and I don’t plan on coming back to that place ever again.”

Gerald: You know I would do anything to save you. I could not let that disgusting man put his hands on you…

“Stop it Ge! As of tonight, let’s drop this subject okay? I’m gonna go take a shower. Help yourself with whatever’s in the kitchen.”

***********************************************************

Yeah, a shower is definitely a good idea right now. I need to erase the memory of Gerald’s hands on my skin and wash off the taste of his lips. I need to shift my focus back to Josh. I am not the unfaithful kind and I’m not about to start now. Particularly when the man involved is family…no matter how un-related we are…bloodline-wise.

I felt a whole lot better after that cleansing. Even though we argue a lot, I have never felt uneasy around Gerald and I hated feeling tensed towards him after our intimate encounter. I was glad that we were back to our bickering ways over our cups of decaf coffee. By the next day, I’m sure everything will be back to normal especially after I see Josh having his waffles at the bistro.

Gerald: You can kick me out all you want but I’m staying here tonight.

“Ge, I can take care of myself. I told you, I’m fine!”

Gerald: Woman you are crazy if you think I am going to leave you all alone after getting all shaken up like that. If you need anything at all, I’m right in the next room okay?

“If you sleep over, I am not going to give you a minute’s rest. I will tickle and bug you the whole night until you can put it in your head that I’m not a little kid anymore and I can handle a little scary experience.”

God! I sure hope these tired, sleepy eyes will cooperate.

Gerald: Kimmy it’s perfectly okay to need me sometimes you know. Do you remember when I used to baby sit you?

“I am not a baby anymore!”

Gerald: Bedtime, baby. Look how tired you are! Come on, your babysitter will tuck you in.

“Bite me!”

Gerald: I mention the word bed and you get on me! Can’t say I’m not thrilled.

“Do you realize how annoying you let yourself become? You’re lucky I’m too sleepy to whoop your !”

Gerald: Biting, whipping me in the , it just gets better everytime!

“In your dreams buster! Hey, you better not get any ideas buddy! Touch me in my sleep and you’re dead!”

I have to admit, I did feel extra safe having Gerald around. Those butterflies made themselves known deep in my gut when I felt Gerald’s lips on my forehead, giving me a goodnight kiss. When he was pulling the blanket to cover me, I couldn’t help thinking how nice it would be to have someone do that for me every night. Of course in my daydreams it will be Josh doing those things.

***********************************************************

Thank you for reading. :) I’ll update this one for now…I can’t think of anything to write for You’re Still the One. I might be able to get out of this hospital bed in a few days! Can’t wait!! =)

xxx Jess