MAD AND DANGEROUS

Foolish

The ride home was awkward and silent. I felt bad that Ge was mad at me. After what he had done for me throughout the night, I was dying to talk to him but his dark eyes got me lost for words.

I had a heavy heart as I walked out of the car. That heartbreak that I was feeling the other night when Josh handed me over to Dave is back again. Only this time, seeing Ge drive off without so much as a goodnight felt 100times worse. Call me a drama queen and all but it really felt like he ripped my heart out of my chest and dipped it in a cauldron full of boiling acid.

There was no use staying home to catch up on sleep since chances are, no amount of sleeping pills can turn my mind off. My head was infiltrated with all kinds of thoughts involving that certain caring, thoughtful, funny, undeniable good-looking man who answers to the name Gerald. (Funny how those descriptions used to wrap around the name, Josh.)

After a shower and a phone call to Dave, I headed to work to get my mind off things. Unfortunately, Ge seemed to have the same idea as his face was the first vision that jolted me upon my arrival.

Mel: Oh my gosh! How are you Kimmy! Why aren’t you resting at home?

“I’m okay. I just needed a shot of epinephrine to get me back to a less monstrous state.”

Gerald: You should be at home!

His tone was cold and slightly mad but I can’t figure out why my heart leapt to hear him address me. It turned out to be the last conversation (If that even counts as one) I had with him for the day. I never even noticed him sparing me a single glance causing a sharp pain to penetrate deep down to my very core.

Why do I care anyway if he’s mad at me? Why does his opinion matter all of a sudden? Why the heck am I hurting at his coldness? I need to get a hold of my blood test results ASAP. Surely something evil has invaded my blood cells causing me to feel this way!

Mel: Girl, you are so lucky that your ever so loyal hero was there to rescue yet again his damsel in distress!

Even though his casual snort was getting me teary eyed, I still have to acknowledge his heroism. I fought hard to hold back those tears and acted like my old cheery self.

“I am so going to bang my head on the wall later for admitting this but I am very lucky that Ge is in my life. If not for him, God knows where would I be!”

I was sure those words would warrant me at least a smile but he acted more interested in mixing the sugar in his coffee instead!

“Is everything okay with you and Ge?” Mel later whispered after she interviewed me about what happened with Dave. Ge was in the back gathering his tools or something.

“Are we that obvious?”

Mel: I’m not used to the silence. You two are not arguing like usual and that really bugs me for some reason.

“He’s mad at me for forgetting that I’m allergic to seafoods. Shallow huh?”

Gerald: I’m mad at you for backing down on your promise. The minute that Josh’s face shows up, you lose a few screws off that head of yours!

I don’t know what shocked me more, the fact that he came out of nowhere or that he’s actually talking to me. Before I could even come up with a million valid arguments about how unreasonable he is getting, he had yet again faded quickly into the back room. Arghhh! How I wish that I just stayed home instead.

 

***********************************************************

 

Mel: Here, bring this juice to Ge’s table. It will give you an excuse to talk to him.

I didn’t realize that I was staring at him while he was talking to our friends over lunch. It has been my third day of being the recipient of Gerald’s silent treatment. It’s not like this is the first time we have one of these childish charade, but this time, there’s a difference. I was actually letting it affect every aspect of my life. I keep telling myself that he’ll soon come around and before I know it, he’ll be back in his annoying, pestering self. I can’t shake off this horrible, nervous feeling though, that he might keep his distance for quite some time. Even more disturbing is the devastation I was feeling.

Mel: Just go talk to him, you know you want to.

“I am not the type to back down on a cold war.”

Mel: I never pictured you as the type to stare longingly at the enemy either but here you are.

“I object! There is absolutely no longing in my stares! If I was staring, that is…which I am NOT!”

Mel: Puhleeeze! You guys have been stealing glances at each other since you two decided to have a silent war, it’s driving me nuts! Please Kimmy, patch things up with your hero already so I can regain my sanity!

“He’s the guy, he should make the first move.”

Mel: My God! That attitude is so last century ago before my grandma was even born! Haven’t you heard? Men like women on top now.

“Ewww. We’re talking about Ge here.”

Mel: You miss him, don’t you?

“He works for me. I see him everyday. Wherever did you get that silly idea that I am missing him?”

Mel: I know way too much already Kimberly. You can’t start keeping secrets now.

“It’s really stupid of me Mel. I don’t know why I am feeling this way. I mean I see him all the time. I don’t know why I have been feeling so empty and lonely these past few days that Ge’s been distant.”

Mel: Oh my God! I have to savour this moment! This is absolutely major!

“Melissa! You cannot tell a single soul or so help me God, I will kidnap you, chop you up to pieces and eat your remains!”

Mel: You really worry me sometimes, you know that? Hello, even if I tell someone, like as if anyone is really going to believe that you have a soft spot for Gerald!

 

 

***********************************************************

 

I was dead tired by the end of the night as I was counting the till with Mel. Despite our silent war lately, I have noticed Ge’s car tailing not far behind every night as I make my way home. So, it wasn’t any wonder that he was still in the kitchen tonight trying to look busy with God knows what, while Mel and I were packing up.

Mel: You two are going on that family camping trip in two days! You need to talk to him or else your parents will notice something is up. Can you imagine how much your mom will be bugging you that whole trip?

She does present a very valid argument. I would pretty much do anything to get my mom off my back. Since Matt and I were kids, we have been having this yearly family tradition of going away on a camping trip. I tried to get out of it this morning but since I abandoned tradition two years in a row, Dad worked on the guilt trip knowing that I can’t say no to him. Which means, I have to toss out my dignity and start negotiations with Ge.

I was nervous as hell when Mel left knowing that Ge and I are finally alone. I headed to the kitchen in a bad need for coke. Unfortunately, Ge happened to be leaning on the refrigerator door, arms crossed as if he is all geared up for combat. Damn! I really need that coke! I don’t know how he managed to up all the surrounding moisture with just a stare but I felt more desperately parched than ever before.

I really wanted to just ask him to move but I was too afraid of what will happen if I open my mouth. Eyeing the kettle nearby, I decided on a cup of tea instead. Not really my first choice for a bonafide thirst quencher but it’s liquid and I’m desperate.

Damn! The tea had to be shoved so high up in the cupboard, I had to stretch my whole body causing my shirt to ride up past my belly button and still, I could barely reach it. Not a very dignified look when I am under enemy’s watchful eyes.

“If showing some flesh is your way to get me talking, mission very well accomplished hun.”

I managed to let out a startled shriek before getting completely paralyzed. His hands were leaning on the counter, trapping me in between, causing a raucous to every nerve ending. As if that wasn’t enough, the ticklish sensation of his whispers coupled with the feel of his chest against my back was causing such an outburst of giddy joy and lust, my pelvic region was having a party!

Holy Gods of fertility! There was no saving me from my state! If I turn around to face him, there was no way I can resist the sudden urgency to jump him, and maul to my heart’s content. (Can you really blame me?) My best bet was to step back, forcing him to back out, giving me enough room for escape. A good plan in theory. The execution however did not turn out quite as brilliant. The minute my back pressed against his body, he took it as my sweet gesture of leaning against him and he was quick to lock his arms around me. Damn!

His chin was on my shoulders, he was holding me tight…what’s a girl to do? I haven’t exactly found the accurate definition of my mental state lately but I was actually rather enjoying the giddy, gut-twisting feeling that Ge was providing.

As I closed my eyes, he whispered, “I miss you Kimmy”. I was pretty much screwed. They were just simple words that any friend can say to another but it was during that moment that I felt something deep…a strange feeling that I haven’t yet encountered in my over 20 years stay on earth…a feeling of intense yearning to have him not only for my ual gratification but something much deeper, penetrating through my bones, shaking my very core.

Could it be? Oh God, I am so not even going there! This is beyond wrong and shamelessly crazy. I refuse to entertain such filthy thoughts. I mean, lusting for someone that you have considered a brother all your life is crime enough punishable by hell…but LOVE??! Heaven forbid!

I prefer to repeatedly remind myself that the bit about longing for his touch and my strong desire to hump him like an angry bull are just reflections of my empty life. That’s it! I just need to get laid to get me out of this daze! Which brings this thing with Ge back to unadulterated lust. Right. Lust. That, I can live with.

“Hmm, I don’t recall ever giving you permission to suffocate me with those big muscles of yours!”

Gerald: You have been enjoying my hug for a quite some time, funny how you’re only complaining now. You miss me too, admit it.

It really rubs me the wrong way whenever he gets all cocky like as if he’s God’s gift to women and it’s almost impossible to resist him! What vexes me even more is that he’s darn right! Out of all the men in this world, why does it have to be Gerald that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when he’s holding me? I really hate to contribute to his already way too swollen ego!

“First of all, I would rather kiss an ugly toad than admit that I enjoy being in your arms!

Gerald: Oh honey, you’ve just made my day!

Arghh! The guy just never learns when to quit! As my clever act of intimidation, I stepped in closer that we were practically chest to chest, nose to nose.

“Secondly, why would I miss you when your face is always around to bug me?”

Gerald: Because lately we have been oceans apart and deep inside you’re dying.

“Ahhh!! Ang yabang mo talaga! As if!”

He already has that speed thing worked out, what other superhero powers could he possibly possess? ! I would so die if he turns out to have this amazing ability to read minds!

I was about to shove him again but he pinned my hands to his chest while our faces were just millimeters apart. The mischief on his boyish grin was making my heart beat way past the legal speed limit of any country. Those smoky bedroom eyes felt like he had laser vision that allows him to penetrate through my clothes and see what’s underneath my bra! Great! Another possible superpower! The man is a God and don’t I know it!

I swallowed nervously, trying to put up a brave front but really, my knees were turning to jelly.

“Like you would know what’s on my mind.”

Gerald: Oh, I have a pretty good idea.

Damn! As if his rough, husky voice wasn’t enough to put me in a perpetual state of , he had to wink and his lips too?! I normally find such gestures tasteless and tacky but why do they seem so y when Ge does them? Holy Gods of heaven! What has gotten into me? And what’s with this whole mind reading thing? I have to probe deep into the matter.

“Oh yeah? If you’re such a mind reader, what am I thinking then?”

Gerald: You are thinking about how good it feels to have your lips kissing mine.

Oh ! I’m screwed.

“You know, it’s a good thing you can make up for it with your good looks because you really are a lousy mind reader! If you can only read all the murderous---“

Gerald: That does it!