Vacant Room

Permanent Substitute

I noticed him wiping a fountain of sweat from his forehead running down on his sharp nose bridge. His smiling eyes make me want to think that he is joking but his handsome face is being sincere in general. He pulled his handkerchief from the back of his denim pants’ pocket and wiped his face some more.

“I’ll return it to you after using it.” He said.

It’s not that I am selfish but Oppa gave this to me. I tried to think twice. I handed it to his open palm. Upon reaching it, he dropped his handkerchief on the floor. I tried to pick it up in a flash to avoid a complicated matter but something made me stop in the middle of my action.

KAHEL, my name is embroidered on it.

What a coincidence I thought to myself and grabbed it before it gets muddy. It’s damp with sweat in a way.

“Here’s your handkerchief, Kahel.” I said while I awkwardly pronounced my name. This is the first time that I’ve met someone with the same title like mine.

He laughed as he gets it from me. He returned it right where he kept it before.

“No, my name is not Kahel. It’s Junjin.” And he gave me a very charming smile.

He started to use the fan for both of us. I don’t know how he managed to produce wind from it but I am highly satisfied about it. Even if I am curious about his handkerchief, I am not going to ask.

He is doing a good job. I can feel the change of temperature progressing with the amount of energy that he is using. He will look at me from time to time and I will pretend that I did not see him from my peripheral vision. I think he is planning to start a conversation but I am not cooperating. What will I say?

“You’re Kahel right?” he suddenly burst the bubble. WHAT THE –

I looked at him again and I can see him shutting his lips tightly forcing himself not to laugh. I glared at him and looked forward again stiffly.

“Hey, don’t get annoyed! HAHAHA!” he poked me with the fan.

Who on earth is this person?!

“Who on earth am I? I think you are asking yourself that now. I am your today my lady. Ace Hyung told me to make sure that you arrive at our dorm safely. So I am picking you up.” He said and started to swing the fan again.

I was caught off guard. I don’t know what to say but I cannot fall like this. He stealthy accompanied me without me knowing and here I am totally clueless about his presence until he revealed himself. Ace – Oppa you are such a sneaky person. I HATE YOU.

I put my hands in front of my face to cover my overwhelming emotions and Junjin whispered on the top of my head shortly – “Don’t do that. They might think I made you cry.”

With what he said, I tried to pretend that I am looking for something in my bag and when I grabbed my phone, I randomly checked the time. When I looked at him, I also tried to take a quick glance and nobody is even looking at us. I wanted to hurt him for doing that but I can’t.

“We will be on a bus stop soon. Forgive me now. I will explain later.” He assured me.

I will not speak to him until we reach that bus stop. This is a punishment for what he did. His handsome face displayed a fascinated look while he continued to stand right next to me. He is not affected with my mood flare. Junjin’s stance makes me want to think that he will never leave my side. He is someone who looks like he will run after you if you try to escape. Ace Han – how dare you.

The bus halted. Passengers were given the chance to grab something to eat and the time to use the comfort room. I heard that they are going to find a way too to fix the air-conditioning system. A team of people are already waiting when we arrived with all the tools needed.

Junjin followed me when I went down. He maintained a close distance while walking behind me. I don’t really know what to eat. I just need some fresh air.

“Kahel..” he said softly.

WHAT?!” at last, I was able to scream a little at him.

“HAHAHA! Sorry – I didn’t mean to surprise you. It seemed that you are not in a good mood today so I just followed you around the whole time.” He confessed

“I was already there at the bus station when you arrived. I told the bus driver that I will be sitting next to you so I asked them to reserve that seat for me. However –” he paused while trying to look at my expression.

“That little girl’s mother begged to have the seat instead. So I don’t have any other choice. I was supposed to introduce myself earlier.” Hearing something like this does not sound like an excuse to me. I trusted Junjin even before I hear his name.

“Alright.” I said.

“I’ll buy for us. Go inside the bus and just wait for me. Okay?” he suggested. Yes, just like what my brother always did.

NO.” I won’t let anyone take his place. “Let’s buy together.” I told Junjin. He gave me a quick nod and we went to the group of mini stores on the side of the terminal. Surprisingly, there is nothing much to get.

He got burgers for us and kept on insisting for me to have iced tea rather than soda. After a very long nagging process I got defeated in the end.

When we returned to the bus after 15 minutes, my seatmate and her luggage is no longer there. The driver somehow noticed me surprised upon her disappearance. He voluntarily told me that she’s meant to get off the bus on this stop.

I sat on my original place and Junjin casually occupied the vacant spot.

“Here’s your plain cheeseburger and your iced tea.” He said while his holding the food towards me.

I ate silently beside him. New passengers entered the bus while some left. Most of the girls who entered the door will give Junjin a second unsolicited glance. I can’t blame them. His face is really striking. His dark brown hair was tied in a ponytail because of the hot scenario a while ago. His bare face is dazzling like those men that I always see on magazines.

I’m used to this though. Oppa always got this kind of attention too.

When the engine started, the refreshing cool air filled its 2 hour absence from our ride. I am thankful that they were able to fix it. Now this journey can be less irritable.

The way I notice it, my future dorm mate doesn’t have anything with him. I think he just really went out to pick me up. He unrolled his shirtsleeves and folded the fan that he borrowed from me before. He put it inside my bag’s pocket naturally without asking for my permission. He finished eating his burger and gulped the last amount of iced tea on its bottle. His personality feels so carefree. His light mood is contagious. I get the feeling that I’d like to smile whenever he beams at me.

“Aren’t you curious about me?” Junjin started.

“Hahahahaha! NO.” I dismissed the conversation right away. I was being sarcastic but he didn’t budge a bit.

Instead of being disappointed he shifted a bit more facing my direction and covered his mouth from laughing. I am not sure why he keeps on doing that. What is so amusing?

“Well, I don’t care even if you are a bit curious or you’re just denying it but sooner or later, you’ll get to know me and the rest of the members. I am just 2 years younger than Ace Hyung which means that I am still older than you. So you may call me Oppa.” he continued to share without minding if I am interested or not.

I refuse to call him Oppa.

“I know you won’t. But you will later on.” He guessed again. He has been doing this since he met me. Now I am starting to think that my brother provided them a manual about how to deal with me.

I looked outside the window to avoid him from seeing my face. I am getting sleepy and the hard vibrating glass window is a complete torture on my skull when all of a sudden he pulled my head towards his shoulder.

“I will lend this to you for free since you let me borrow your fan earlier.” He smirked like I cannot decline his offer and at that time, he was correct.

His warmth is just like my brother’s. I’ll use this opportunity to have a shoulder to lean on. I missed this.

“Thank you Junjin.” were the only words that I was able to say before I went to dreamland.

I felt his hands poking my shoulder gently while saying “Hey, we’re here.”

The bus operator is standing near the open door waiting for us to leave. I just realized that our stop is along the highway. Junjin grabbed my luggage right away when I lifted my head and held my hand as we exit the bus. I let go of him as soon as I stepped on the ground. I am not a toddler anymore.

I appreciate his help though. It is fairly dark already and it’s just a good thing that there’s a street light near the tall silver gate of their dorm.

“I’ll show you something cool. Come here.” Junjin asked me to come closer and he slid the cover of the passcode lock of the gate to input the pin. He purposely pressed the numbers slowly so that I’ll be able to see and it was – 982403.