Brunch

Permanent Substitute

“I am not a talkative person. Speaking to me randomly won’t really make any sense even if you try so don’t feel upset if there will be a lot of times like this.”  He smirked at the end of his sentence.

“What game were you playing a while ago?” I asked something that I shouldn’t have asked.

His tensed expression disappeared and his eyes turned in to small pebbles with shining diamonds. I know where this is going but I think it is worth the try for someone who bothered to have a cup of coffee with me in the middle of his busy battle.

“Are you also playing games?” there he goes again – answering my question with a question.

“I used to play a lot when I was in college. I quit before doing my final thesis though.” I answered honestly.

“Why?” his voice magnified his curiosity.

“Being patient is not my specialty. Whenever I play a game, I won’t stop until I master it. Let’s say I will not rest until I get how it works and study all the work around for each level.” I continued and he is listening intently.

“When I like something, I will always do it until I get sick of it. The last thing that I did for some of my several games was – ” I was about to finish my sentence when Dongwan popped from the stairs with his messy hair.

“Ya! What do you think are you doing?” his bedroom voice sounded more like a croak as he limped on his way towards the table.

His white shirt was worn with its side dragged carelessly on a single direction revealing his collarbone. His eyes are not even fully opened when he sat beside Eric and rested his head on his friend’s broad shoulders while yawning.

“Kahel, do you want pancakes?” Dongwan asked.

“She still hasn’t finished her cookie.” Eric objected.

“Oh I see, you’re his new guinea pig, that thing on your hand, it is his experiment recipe dearie. He tries to cook stuff when he is alone here.” Dongwan pointed at the cookie that I’ve been munching.

“It tastes good. It’s alright as long as it is edible.” I smiled at Eric who’s currently in the middle of flicking Dongwan’s forehead for blowing his cover. He stopped right away and shyly responded with his puppy eyes.

“Why are you up already?” Eric asked his sleepy friend.

“Why are you asking me that? It’s already 6 in the morning and I should be preparing breakfast for us. I don’t want Hyesung to feed me pancakes with sesame seeds again.” Dongwan stood up right away and went to the comfort room.

“Go escape!” Eric whispered as soon as he checked my empty cup.

I nodded quickly and went to my room in a jiffy. I don’t really like having breakfast. I wonder how he knew about it.

I rested on my bed and submerged under my oversized pillows, I will not be able to sleep anytime sooner so I need a quick remedy for my sickness. I put my earphones on and decided to put my lullaby playlist on shuffle mode. 15 minutes is all I need for the caffeine to take effect.  I need a strong power nap to get the appropriate result for my energy recharge attempt.

Andy’s voice woke me up together with a combination of knocks on my door. I wonder why he is doing that. I tried my best to open my eyes to answer him when I saw the table clock under my lamp – it’s already 8:00 AM!!!

I almost tripped on the entangled warmer under my feet when I rushed to my door.  I opened it as soon as I reached the door’s handle. Andy’s fresh shower scent overflowed towards my direction. He is ready for school and I am obviously out of my senses.

“Kahel, I’ll be with you to.. day?” he looked at me with a confused expression.

“Oh Yes. Give me 15 minutes.” I tried to hold my breathe trying to pick up my scattered thoughts on everything that I should be doing by now.

“Okay. I’ll wait for you outside.” Andy didn’t rush me at all. He didn’t nag or say anything else. The youngest among them disappeared in front of my door as soon as I finished my sentence.

5 minutes in the shower, 3 minutes putting my clothes on, 2 minutes trying to fix my messy hair in a bun, another 3 minutes arranging school needs in my backpack and 2 minutes to check of my hideous appearance at the mirror.

I came out like a total wreck. Who cares? My side fringe is still dripping with water on my forehead as I wear a thin grey pull over on top of my skinny jeans. I am on a black running shoes and my black backpack is well fixed on my shoulder. I tried to wipe my glasses for the last time and locked my door to greet my for today who is tolerantly waiting for me.

“Andy.. I’m sorry.” are the best words that I can come up with.

He turned to my direction just to smile at me, his understanding stare made me feel guiltier with the comfort that he is trying to give me. I think I don’t deserve it.

“It’s okay. Let’s just grab a cab today.” He looked on his wrist watch to check the time and led me to the door

The house seemed to be empty at this hour. I wonder where the rest of the squad members are. We briskly walked towards the gate. I just followed his lead. I really feel terrible on what happened. He opened the gate for both of us and it was such a relief that there is already a car waiting outside.

Andy greeted the driver ahjussi like they knew each other already. He has good manners to even open the door for me and waited for me to enter first before he bounced on the other side to get in.

“To the school please.” Andy politely asked the driver.

“Okay I got it Andy.” He smiled at him and gave me a smile as well before the car started moving.

“Kahel, please put you seat belt on.” Andy reminded me.

I did it right away; he deserves loads of good accommodation from me for waiting. My guts are still hurting because of extreme shame early this morning.

Andy does not look like an ordinary college student after all.  His neatly tied hair was parted on its right side leaving short strands of it tucked under his ears. Looking from my direction, his manly cuteness is quite obvious. His side profile reveals his pointed nose and there is something with his smiling eyes that made me want to think that he is such a gentle person.

“Is she new? This is the first time that I saw her.” The driver broke our silence.

“Yes she is.” Andy answered on my behalf.

“Did you sleep well?” I heard Andy’s voice asking that question. I thought he was asking the driver so I continued not to pay attention and divert my vision on the road instead.

“Eric Hyung told me about your coffee time early this morning. It was a shame that I was in my room. I could have joined you guys. I am still up by that time, playing the same game.” Andy poked my cheek to get my response.

I looked at him uneasily. He was wearing black and white varsity jacket on top of his plain white shirt. Black jeans and black chucks suited his university style. He looked like we are of the same age or if others might put it properly; I even looked older than him.

“I’m sorry. I should have put up my alarm to avoid all this hassle.” I was being sincere when he cleared my fringe off my forehead.

“It is okay. How many times do I need to tell you? Please stop overthinking. We will be there in less than 10 minutes now. If you’d like me to feel better – you can fix your hair for me. Hahaha!” and he pointed on my bun.

I don’t need to look at the mirror to see how ugly it looks like. I got my hair brush inside my bag and started to comb it properly. It’s all wavy now for arranging it like that on a damp condition. I decided for it to be a one sided braid. He looks satisfied about it.

I didn’t imagine that the school will be appearing on front of my eyes just like how he told me. It was not as big as my university but I can still feel my nervous cells bothering me. I think this kind of thing is highly existential during first days.

Andy was fast in giving the driver our payment. I didn’t even have the chance to pull my wallet.  He was in a rush to open my door and I can’t do anything about it but to just follow him. I went out and shifted my glasses back to its proper place on my cheeks. It keeps on sliding from time to time since I had it replaced with thicker lenses.

I am really moved on how he took time to explain to the guard why I still don’t have my ID and that I am a transferee. Some students were staring at me like I was a very odd creature near him but the way I see it, Andy doesn’t care at all about the attention we are getting.

“Minwoo Hyung’s hoobae will be at the school’s entrance to accompany you. I will be leaving you to her and I’ll find a way to meet up with you on lunch break. Walk comfortably beside me so that I can keep an eye on you. You might get lost here with all the people roaming around.” He told me with a very promising voice.

Now that I realized it, he is a very reliable person and on the contrary of his actions I am being a very dependent parasite. I feel really bad about it but I cannot help it. He acts like I am his responsibility. I can’t even –

“Sunbaenim!!! I’m over here!!!” a female’s voice coming towards us resonated along the crowded hallway.

A girl with the same height as mine stopped in front of us while panting because of exhaustion. I like her style. She has a shoulder length hair with full bangs almost reaching her almond shaped eyes. She was wearing a snapback and her oversized plaid long sleeves with alternated red and black shades covers her leggings like a mini dress. She’s also wearing sneakers like me and her black sling bag completed her glam get up.

“Oh Sam! You just came in time. I’ll be leaving her now with you. See you on lunch time Kahel!” and Andy checked his wrist watch before he sprinted to the nearby stairs.

Sam, my new friend displayed a bright smile towards me while extending her hand as she simultaneously introduced herself.

“Hello I am Sam. I’m taking the same course that you have. I knew Minwoo Sunbaenim when our departments worked together on a school project before. I hope we get along well.” I reached out to shake her hand too.

“I’m Kahel. Thank you for being so kind to me.” I meant it.  It was good that she’s there to lend a hand.

She knows the school very well and it did not take a long time for us to get to our designated classroom. There are a lesser number of students in my class than expected. It was a good thing that I am well aware of the software application that we are using.

The fact that I am taking chances of being a free-lance web designer on my idle times paid back just today when I knew that our class will take the basics first. I tried my best not to show off since I am here to be a low profile student. I will just give what is being asked but will still put effort on ideas.

I am dozing off slowly. I am not the type of student who takes notes but the one who listens and treasures stock knowledge. My study habits are very strange – almost peculiar in nature.

My class ended after three hours of pure struggle with boredom. Sam and I went to the cafeteria to have lunch. While we were on our way she tried to make a conversation with me to somehow lift our mood. I am not as enthusiastic as her but I am glad that she is taking the initiative.

“You want to know what? You are so lucky to be in that dorm.” She started while I am not paying attention.

“Huh? What make you think that way?” – I was suddenly curious and Sam stopped from walking and gave me a look of disbelief.

“The six of them, they were not there together without a reason. They were considered as legends in their own fields of expertise. Your older brother is famous too that’s why they were able to blend in right away. It’s like you are surrounded with the cream of the crop. To tell you honestly, when your brother died – they refused applications of students who’d like to live there with them.”  Sam tried to explain calmly while I am still trying to comprehend what I am missing.

I was supposed to ask her a question about them when all of a sudden she received a phone call. I overheard that she needed to go to a family gathering after our class. I noticed that we are almost near our cafeteria and I decided to volunteer and let her go of me as a burden.

“Sam, I’ll be fine from here. I think you need to go.” I gave her a smile to make her feel comfortable about the idea of leaving me.

“Oh.. Kahel, I’m really sorry. Are you sure you’ll be fine without me?” her worried voice made me feel bad deep inside. I don’t want people baby-sitting me. This is unfair.

“It’s all good. Haha! I am 20 already. I can manage to eat alone.” I raised my hand and placed it on her shoulder for her to give up that unsolicited guilt.

She nodded in an instant and said goodbye to me with her apologetic eyes still displayed on her face. I somehow faced the spacious place without vacant chairs. I think I can skip lunch. I’ll just try to figure out how to go home by myself.

I am confident about it but sharp drops of water started to pour without restrain. My hope got washed away and the cold atmosphere made me want to regret my decision of being alone. Now, what will I do?