Reversal

Permanent Substitute

I honestly don’t want to go out of the room bearing this excruciating fact. My mind got filled with a lot of flashbacks and all of their happy faces bounced back and forth in my memory. The feeling of those warm hugs, those gentle pats on my back together with a lot more moments with them started to swell inside my heart. I am trying my best to push back my tears. I know very well that I will choke if I try to speak. I was quivering that I needed to hold on to something to hide my strain.

A loud knock on the door snapped my attention. I heard that despicable voice whining outside. I stepped back while biting my lips. She’s going to come any second from now. Her rudeness exceeded further than what I have in mind. I can’t believe it myself too.  I thought I can buy us more time to discuss and plead but –

“Oppa!!! I will come in now! I’m sorry but I am chasing another appointment. I hope your guest understands my priorities!!!” Madam Jun Mida said and she stormed her way inside the office like she owns it.

All the six of them gathered behind her and rushed to my side as soon as they saw where I am standing. My heart is about to fall. I know already what will happen. We can’t win this one. Their lives will be ruined and I am obviously the cause of it. I desperately wanted the ground beneath me to collapse and just swallow me forever. I was not prepared to this extent. Rather than myself, they mattered to me the most. All of their hard work for the past few years of their lives will be burned down to ashes. I am no good at all.

I closed my eyes and hid my face under my palms, I can’t handle it anymore. I was about to breakdown. My tears can’t be held for long. I felt a hand transferred my headphones from my neck to hug my ears. It played a song that was never on my playlist. I lifted my head and saw Minwoo Oppa winking at me while he is adjusting its volume a little lower for me to hear him saying: “Don’t cry.

The looks in their faces are all relaxed. It was like, it does not really matter to them what will happen in the end because they still have each other. I realized that I am the only one being a coward in our team. I am the most scared of all. I am the only one who seems so discouraged and full of regrets. Andy Oppa reached out on my side and grabbed my hand and squeezed it tightly before he let it go. I saw Oppayam flashed an encouraging smile at my direction. The three towers were standing in front of us, blocking me from the death glares of Madam Jun Mida. Until the end, they are still the people who are protecting me.

I decided to fight along with them. I removed my headphones and took a deep breath; I worked my way out of their defence. I decided to stand in the front line this time. I want to take the risk too. I wanted to shield them even if it will mean a huge stab on my pride, but I will beg for our appeal if I need to.

“At last – you came out on your own little beast?” She said with an appalling tone.

I can sense that my brothers were all putting up a calm face right now but their anger can be felt creeping on the floor behind me. They have such high tolerance not to let their guards down over immature attacks like hers. They choose their battles wisely and they fight honourably.

“You see Oppa, that girl over there; she is the biggest proof that your beloved treasures violated the contract. I have been gathering information about them since you left and it looks like, they allowed her to live in your luxurious dorm without you knowing about it. What a bunch of sneaky kids.” She continued while walking around the room.

She continued looking at us like we were bunch of insects that she will stomp on anytime she wanted.

The President let out a deep sigh. His hand touched his forehead as if he is having a headache on what is happening. I know why. He can’t do anything about it too. We came here like nothing’s going to change anymore even if he says that he will permit us to live in our beloved home.

“It is true that I didn’t know that she – that young lady is with them. I am also shocked to hear from her earlier begging for a request to let them all settle there together as a payment for her outstanding job of saving my university from a very huge crisis.” Mr. Simon began his statement.

Jinnie Oppa went near my side to whisper – “What? What did you do?”

Hyesung Oppa on the other hand grabbed him on the back of his neck to return him on his position. I saw Eric Oppa looking at me blankly like he always did. He was on a mental breakdown too upon hearing it.

“The dorm is no longer mine.” – The president’s sudden revelation made the time stop for everyone who’s involved except for me and my professor who’ve known about it earlier.

My knee lost its strength for the second time around but I chose to stand still and keep in mind that I am not the only one who is going to suffer in this situation. There are six men behind me who will be enduring the consequence of this unfortunate ending.

“Mr. Simon, pardon me for cutting you in the middle of your sentence but I still have a deal to make. We do really apologize for not letting you know about our selfish move to recruit a new family member. Let us stay there with Kahel until the end of our term. We assure you that we will not do anything out of context – but if you will decide to expel her in our home, all of us will leave as well; not just our dorm but this institution too.” Eric Oppa’s words were firm and direct. He delivered it with such confidence and the members undoubtedly supported him with everything that they have.

It was such a tensed atmosphere. Words were used prudently and the purpose that it served was not for speech but for a very complicated battle of intellect. This kind of confrontation, it is not for the faint hearted.

“Eric, you know that I value the 6 of you very well. You’re like the treasure of our university in so many ways. I myself will regret losing all of you as an asset. But the decision is not for me to be made —” The sad sentence of the dear old man got interrupted with the explosion of Madam Jun Mida’s poisonous laughter.

We are doomed. She moved closer to her kind cousin’s table and sat on the vacant sit opposite to my professor. She was taunting like a very provocative mischievous neighbour. I can’t even look at her without getting irritated.

Mr. Simon cleared his throat and decided to continue with what he was saying. We stood right in front of him and are still willing to listen to our last hopeless verdict. We still have each other and that is what matters.

“To tell you honestly, your beloved SHINHWA Dorm was transferred legally by law to Miss Kahel Han even before Ace died.” The old man’s cheekbones rose with a smile directed to us. He stood up and walked towards our direction.

Our eyes widened with shock. It was like we’ve been poured with a bucket of ice on a hot summer day and it froze our brains beyond comprehension. I can’t even understand all of what he said. Even my dorm mates were speechless and are not moving at all. It was like we all stopped breathing. Our jaws locked inevitably and we are in the middle of insanity.

“Kahel, your late brother did not just offer to reconstruct the dorm itself but made it as an investment for you. On his final interview with me, I mentioned to him that the dorm will be signed for an auction after all of them graduate from this school. Since he was the oldest family member, I thought it will be wise to let him know first.

He on the other hand objected even if he hasn’t seen the dorm yet. He told me that those boys behind you will be very depressed about it if ever. He told me that a dorm is not just a simple structure; it is a second home that harbours emotions of brotherhood and at the same time the struggle of breaking through individual independence. I like his principles.

I don’t know if you are aware that your brother saved up to an amount that you can’t even imagine that’ll be earned by a freelance architect but –because of his skills and talent, he was able compromise with the dorm’s expensive cost. It became clearer to me after he died. He knew that he will be leaving soon and does not want to let go any of you yet.

I can see that you came here without knowing about it. I am sorry to be a spoiler of a gift that you are about to open my dear. You may check on it later.” He gave me a very warm smile and hugged me like how a father would do.

“WHAT IS THE MEANING OF ALL THESE?!!!” Madam Jun Mida screamed crazily on our brink of victory. She was glaring at us while standing on her stiletto.

“As for you my cousin, kindly leave my office for I have no business to discuss with you anymore. I would also like to let you know that next time you try to infiltrate my emails and our school’s server, I will not think twice to get you arrested.” The President’s word was calm but full of power.

The evil lady’s confidence evaporated upon hearing what her cousin told her. It was like she lost her backbone and she even tried to act like she’s about to faint but nobody reached to her when she decided to collapse on the floor. She shamelessly gets up on her feet and went out of the door with her head bowed down like a defeated wolf.

“Kids, you did a good job in taking care of Ace’s little sister. I never expected for you to love her this much. You are all but a family in my eyes right now. I’m sorry for what my relative have done to you. Since I was not here, I can only imagine the hardships that you went through. Why don’t you go home and rest for today?” Mr. Simon gave everyone a final tap on their shoulders before he went back to his seat.

We all looked at each other like everything that happened was just a nightmare and now we are widely awake because of the surprise with the feeling of winning a lottery for the first time. We took his advice and head off the office to return to our dorm.

“Kahel, we still need to talk about your payment and conditions after your class next week okay?” President Simon reminded me.

My professor stayed on his chair as we left and waved at me while his other hand is stuck on the side of his face saying the words: “I’ll call you.”

We were like floating in the air while walking. Nobody’s saying any word to break the mood of the aftermath brought by the plot twist. I looked back only to see their creepy faces with those pasted winning smiles. It was like an inside joke was still going on and we are the only ones who can relate to it. People around us are staring at our peculiar joy but we don’t really care.

It was great to see that the trucks and the other vehicles are no longer barricading our school’s street. The bus just stopped like we are highly favoured today with all the odds that we can encounter. One of us might have save the country in his past life.

The restraining loop continued inside the bus. The seven of us occupied the back seat and I saw Jinnie Oppa covering his mouth while on his other side was Hyesung Oppa is trying to divert his focus outside the window. In the middle of our arrangement sat Eric Oppa and Minwoo Oppa who were both holding each other’s hands steadily trying to supress their happiness. Oppayams arms were wrapped on Andy Oppa’s shoulder and are trying their best too. Seeing them like this made me want to cooperate and bit my lips for my amusement to be kept until we reach our home.

I was the last person to get off the bus. They all waited patiently and they gave me the opportunity to open the gates for them. It was by far the most ecstatic feeling that I have experienced. The scent of our second home became more evident today. It was like all our first time to be here again. We walked together in a synchronized slow pace. As we opened the arched door before us, a group hug happened.

No words can describe how happy we were. Even our loudest laughter cannot even match the sublime spring of independence that we have in our hearts. Sobs cannot even give proper justice to the relief from today’s tension and mixed emotions.

“Ya! Kahel! You need to explain a lot!” Minwoo Oppa was still wiping off his tears of joy.

“That’s right! You – ever since when did you worked for our President?” Jinnie Oppa continued his curiosity that sparked since we were at school.

I wanted to explain so badly but I don’t know where to start. I didn’t even open the gift yet.

“Reserve your questions later – I think we need to wash up first brothers. Aigooo, with all the school preparations don’t you feel filthy nagging her with all your sweaty clothes?” Oppayam scolded them.

It was just that same moment when I realized that their clothes were all muddy. They might have been helping too in setting up props and the stage. They all felt embarrassed in a funny way and headed to their bath cave altogether. I was left looking at them still trying to act like they were not being judged.

“Let’s all have lunch together; she did not even touch her bento. I’ll cook something good after we’re all neat and clean.”Dongwan Oppa winked on my direction as he closed the refrigerator before heading to their happy place.

“Take a rest first while waiting for us; it will take a bit longer since Hyesung will need to dry his hair.” Eric Oppa whispered and dashed to follow everyone in.

It was a great time to finally check the reality of our triumph. I went to my room and kneeled in front of my Pandora’s box which has been waiting there silently. I twisted all the keys and savoured the unlocking clicks that went off one by one as each of the gears collided to one another and with a last flick, the lid unbolted.

I lift it and saw a letter together with the parchment of the house’s certificate with my name on it as its legal owner, underneath it was the house’s architectural design. It was all there all along and my eyes began to swim again with tears. I decided to let the title rest there by itself and get my brother’s letter to read it while trying to control my smothering emotions.

I opened his letter which was written on a piece of very old school stationery. It still has that nostalgic fragrance and its familiarity made me realize that he stole this one from my collections at home. It made me laugh at some point. He is really sneaky in so many ways for cheesy things like this. I don’t even understand why I did not even inherit a single strand of his mushiness.

As I unfolded it, it read:

 

To My Orange Princess,

I know you’re thanking me right now because I am the best brother in the world! HAHAHA!

Aigooo, it’s just a bit sad that I am no longer with you right now but I hope that you’ve understood the reasons why I sent you there. My permanent substitutes are the best in so many ways right?

They will take care of you as much as I did. They will love you as much as I had. They will stay with you as much as you need them. Most of all, they will scold you when you are being unreasonable. LMAO XD

Each of the keys that they carried and the riddles that they gave you corresponds to a specific promise to me. I bet they did not tell you so I am betraying them now. HAHAHA! Please do your best to pretend that I never told you okay? They might kill me when we meet again in heaven.

Andy, the youngest and the shyest one gave you the key for LOVE.

I hope she feels loved regardless of the seasons that will come.

Dongwan, the one who asked me if it is okay for you to call him Oppayam gave you the key for HEALTH.

I hope she doesn’t skip through her meals just because she misses me.

Minwoo, the coolest and most persevering of all gave you the key for TRUST.

I hope she learns to depend on others too when she’s having a hard time.

Junjin the one who suffered the most yet recovered stronger than before gave you the key for HAPPINESS

I hope she finds joy on simple things like a child.

Hyesung the most beautiful guy I’ve ever seen with a heavenly voice gave you the key for STRENGTH

I hope she does not give up easily on difficult situations.

And last but not the least..

Eric their dependable leader who’s a suspected alien gave you the key for TIME.

I hope she doesn’t rush through time and take every moment by heart.

I am supposed to personally get the freebies for each riddle once solved but they nagged me to just let them get it for you since they wanted it to be more personal. They even asked me to give them those newly made white handkerchiefs that was meant for you. I originally planned giving it to you with this gift so that everyday you’ll be reminded of me, instead they assumed that it will be best to be with them to always think of you. Crazy right? HAHAHA

Their minds are wired differently compared to the usual people that you’ll meet. Please take a good care of them too for me. I loved them as much as I loved you. Promise me to be a good sister to them just as much as you did to me. Cherish your time with them and do all the things that you skipped while I am still alive. Life is too short for drama dongsaeng.

Ask them for a pillow fight! They will never turn you down.

Love,

Ace Oppa

 

A familiar knock on my door broke my attention followed by the excited screams of my brothers outside asking for me to go out and play with them. I folded the letter and placed it back in the box.

“I’ll be there!” I responded enthusiastically to meet my brothers again.

-END-