Missing Piece

Permanent Substitute

I almost forgot my name when I saw all of them staring at me while waiting patiently. I can’t stutter, I told myself before I speak.

“I’m Kahel. Han Kahel. I just turned 20 and I’m done taking my Bachelor’s Degree of Computer Science Major in Software Development. I’m just waiting for my graduation and diploma. I’ll be attending a short term course for web design and authoring on your school to be productive during my vacation.” I stopped because I saw them not even blinking and paying too much attention on what I am saying. Did I say too much?

“I.. I don’t have a nickname too.” I tried to continue. Their faces are all stoic and unreadable.

“I’m afraid of house lizards.” They all sighed after hearing that. I don’t exactly know why they were so tensed a while ago. I was about to ask out of my curiosity when Hyesung interrupted my attempt –

“We don’t have house lizards here. We get rid of them before you arrived.” He was serious.

“Can we start asking now?” Andy asked Minwoo and his hyung nodded at him happily. All of them look so excited about the question and answer portion. I can strongly feel that I will be the only target for this unexpected meet and greet.

“Since it is getting late, one question per person will be allowed. If something has been asked, you cannot use that question again okay? We still have class tomorrow.” – Dongwan added. Everybody agreed and I can see Eric’s hand raising high up in the air from my peripheral vision.

He’s been like that ever since I said my last sentence.

“The first question will be from Eric.” Minwoo acknowledged his intent.

“Can I borrow your panda plush toy?” he said while pointing on the cute gift in front of me.

“NO!” Minwoo answered on my behalf. “Don’t give him a chance Kahel. He is not allowed to touch that panda.” He said furiously while covering it with his hands.

“But you gave that to her already. The decision is not yours.” Eric objected.

I don’t know what to say. Minwoo is serious with his rejection while Eric is also becoming sensitive with his motive. There can be a very deep reason but I am not on my best state to stand in between their argument. They were glaring on each other –

“Why don’t we let her decide? After hearing her, it should set the rules since she’s the owner. We should respect her choice no matter what.” Andy said without pressure.

 I don’t know if I should be relieved but it put flames under my cold feet. My brain was messed up with ideas and I just let out the first thought that slide off my tongue.

“Okay, Eric may borrow it but a string attached to it will be on my hands at the same time.” this is the kind of nonsense that I was able to come up with.

“Cruel. I like it.” Minwoo agreed.

“Well, it is better than nothing.” Eric approved.

 Is this a test? I don’t know how to figure it out but their feedback is very vague. Thinking about it, now there are still 5 more to go. I hope it is not as hard as this.

“What is your favourite flower?” Hyesung asked right away.

“I hate flowers.” It was an easy question for me. I think he cannot believe what he heard.

“What is your favourite chocolate?” Minwoo asked next.

“I hate chocolates.” Another easy question got dismissed. Am I winning? Minwoo does not seem satisfied.

“Do you like shopping?” Andy probed.

“I like the fact that I hate that too.” I was smiling while shaking my head.

“Why do you hate those things? Please elaborate.”  – Dongwan asked surprisingly a WHY question. I got dejected but answering it might help them understand my indifference over my violation of norms.

They all clapped with proud laughter on their friend’s unforeseen reversal. I can see their teamwork. I am moved.

“Kindly begin with flowers.” Hyesung said politely and he cupped his face on his long manly hands while he squint his cat eyes.

 “I used to love them but after getting a bride bouquet from a wedding before, it changed everything.” I paused trying to remember when it started to happen.

“It is not because I am traumatized because of the superstitious belief that I will get married after getting it but the latter part of keeping the flower terrifies me even more. I meant to keep it. I tried to air-dry it inside my closet but discovered that there’s a swarm of scary black caterpillars living in it. All of them came out one day when I accidentally dropped it on my clothes.” I shrugged upon taking that memory clip inside one of my brain’s forbidden shelves.

Their reactions were empathetic about it. I can sense from their wincing expressions that they can feel the same thing that I am recalling right now. Junjin even gritted his teeth while frowning.

“Okay now chocolates.” Andy rushed while hugging himself with his own arms still trying to avoid imagining it.

“Chocolates, I need to say that we are not meant to be. Ever since my braces got removed, my teeth became sensitive. It will hurt like hell even if I just try to bite a small amount of it. I can endure not eating it rather than taking all the pain of having it.” I was direct with my explanation. They acknowledged my glitch and moved on to the next item.

“Shopping is not my forte. I only go to the mall when I need to buy something like food. I stick to my clothes and footwear as long as they are still on good condition. Having enough amount of belongings makes it easier for me to organize my things. I am also not a fan of bags, like lady bags. I prefer backpacks because it is more flexible in so many ways.” I cannot believe reasoning this out for the first time from the people who bothered to know why.

Most of the people who knew about it never asked rather they proceeded on judging me based on trendy perspective. The only person who liked to know more about me other than them is my Oppa.

“Thank you for sharing Kahel. We really appreciate it.” Dongwan gave me that sincere smile after I finished explaining.

Junjin started to catch my attention when he called my name outright for the last question.

“KAHEL.” He said with a deep voice and all of us looked at him while waiting.

“Now is the time for you to tell us who among the members gave you the best impression. Who would you choose among us as the first place?” He looked around trying to seek for agreement and all of them were immersed to his ridiculous curiosity.

“I think, you all deserve my honest answer.” I started.  My honesty might disappoint them but it’s better to tell the truth than to lie, well that is my principle. I’d rather be cold and truthful than to be warm with full of sugar coated deception.

Their eyes were in full of anticipation. Their bodies are all leaned towards my direction and – I can see that Junjin’s face is the most interested about it.

“Unfortunately, you’re all equally ranked right now. No one stood out because all of you are impressive in your own ways” disappointing but at least it is not overrated. This is the first day so I think there are still a lot of things that can twist my judgement.

“Just like Ace Hyung, she answers safely and comfortably.” Eric sighed with relief under his breath.

All of them seemed satisfied except for Junjin.

“But she’s a girl! She can’t be the same! Oh so annoying!” he was serious for a brief second then I heard his contagious laughter again in the end of his script.

“It’s your turn to ask now our Princess.” Minwoo gave me the table for my chance. I have so many things in mind but all are about my brother. I am worried that they might find it rude so I pushed all of it back inside my head.

Not now.

“How do I go from here to our school?” it’s basic, but that is the only rational question that I can think of right now. I am not in the mood for a deep get to know kind of thing since I should take it easy in the beginning. Rushing might cause difficulties in terms of getting my last present.

They are not disappointed with my question at all rather, their eager reactions reflected happiness upon hearing it. I am not sure why they are all so excited but it made me hope for the best.

“You don’t have to worry about that. I’ll do the briefing for you.” Hyesung said confidently and took out a piece of paper from the pocket of his polo shirt.

Everyone’s giggling even if he has not started yet. Eric is supressing his laughter while Hyesung is trying to find the line where he should start.

“Ya! You! Stop it! I can’t concentrate!” the mc seemed to have lost his temper and threw a piece of banana peel towards Eric’s face but he is good at dodging.

“Okay, I’ll just ignore your existence.” Hyesung glared at him for the last time and continued to check what is written on his premade queue card. I waited in anticipation on what he is going to say.

“Hurry up! We still need to show her room and stuff.” Dongwan pushed some more.

“So Kahel, you don’t have to worry about going to school because we tried to adjust our schedules for you.” He started calmly.

“Based on the classes that you are going to have, you won’t go to school alone. You are required to go there on a MWF routine for a half day. For now, it’ll be a secret who will be your . It will be cooler to see your surprised face.” – He ended neatly.

“Wait, how did you –” I am in the middle of confusion when Minwoo whispered to me something that I did not see coming.

“We are the people who processed your papers. Hahaha!” and he shot me a wink right after I gave him a very shocked expression.

“Hahahaha! You’re so cute with that face!” Dongwan’s laughter filled the atmosphere.

I am still lost. What have they done so far that I don’t know?

“Look she’s having a mental breakdown right now! Someone explain it  to her! Hahaha” Junjin followed. They are all having fun but I cannot understand what’s happening. It looks more like a conspiracy to me. Now that I think about it, my mother might be right that this is a trap.

“Kahel, we assisted your father on all the processing and promised him that we will take care of you like how Ace Hyung would have done it.” – Andy admitted.

“Eric Hyung negotiated with the admin and the registrar about your transfer records and Minwoo Hyung asked for his hoobae on the same course to keep you close on your class because we won’t be there for you as expected. Dongwan Hyung and Hyesung Hyung reserved the books that you will need for your course. The two of us will somehow stick with you during lunch.” And he looked at Junjin for his agreement.

“Since you’re the first girl here and also the youngest we cannot help it but to do our best to prioritize your comfort. We are all amateurs so, we apologize in advance if you somehow find us still lacking.” Junjin intended to put more spice on their effort with the craft of being humble.

ACE Oppa, I can see my brother through them. They are like him divided into 6 people. For the first time, I’ve felt like he never left.

“Let’s go and check your room now.” Minwoo poked my shoulder and stood up. I took the panda stuffed toy on the table as soon as I saw Andy pointing on it just in case I forget.

All of them followed and Eric pulled out the newly made keys inside his pocket. It was not just one key. There were a lot of it bundled together with a silver army tag keychain. Do I have to open a lot of locks?

Just like what I expected, my room was the one near the study area. My bags were all outside waiting for me. Minwoo got the keys from his friend and chose the one with a “K” letter embossed on it and inserted it to the door knob. The door opened right away after he twisted it. He removed it and gave it to me.

Junjin automatically went inside my room and placed my bags near the visible oak cabinet located near the window. He rushed to go outside and stood beside his brothers.

“Kahel, we will leave you from here so that you can take a rest. You have 5 keys right now on your hands. 3 duplicate for our rooms with our initials on it and one for the main door. RS for Eric and Hyesung’s room, MJA for my room together with Andy and Jinnie and the last one with a D for Dongwan’s crib.” Minwoo described simply.