Awkward

Permanent Substitute

“Sweet pea, that is gonggi. Don’t tell us that it’s your first time seeing it.” Minwoo Oppa tried to get one piece from me, then threw it up and caught it in mid-air.

“Hey, let’s eat first before you play. Come here before our ramen noodles swell!” Eric called out and we all stood up at once.

I clutched my new items and slid it inside the kangaroo pocket of my shirt. We sat on our designated seats and started consuming our meal as the rain started to pour again. It was a very great combination for the cold weather. I was surprised to find bits of shrimp, squid and octopus on my soup. It was not as spicy as the usual ramen but the taste is really high class in contradiction to its simplicity.

The only sound that is evident at this hour is the slurping from all of us. No one bothered to open a topic at all. It seems that we are all with the same level of hunger. Remembering what happened a while ago made me comprehend the depth of concern that they have for me. They are not taking things lightly and they never fail to always put me first in everything that they do. Even if we are not entirely blood related, they made me feel loved.

“By the way Kahel, you may go upstairs after dinner and try if your phone will get a good mobile reception in our room.” Andy Oppa suddenly reminded after sipping the remaining soup in his bowl. He wiped his lips with his hand and he stood up to get something in the refrigerator.

“Oh, thank you in advance for allowing me in your room. Wouldn’t it be inconvenient for you to have me there?” I suddenly thought of it. I might invade their peaceful sanctuary with my intrusion in their territory.

“What are you talking about? We should be the one getting worried. We haven’t cleaned our room yet! HAHAHA” Jinnie Oppa laughed at the fact and all of a sudden felt embarrassed after letting me know.

“No, it’s fine. I can manage.” It is true. I am not that neat in my own room and considering my situation I am the one who’s asking for a favour. I can’t be too cheeky and demanding.

Andy Oppa returned to our table with a banana chiffon cake on his hands. It was topped with fluffy whip cream and some bits of shaved chocolate on it. He put it on the table and Minwoo Oppa started slicing it into seven parts while Eric started to distribute it on our plates.

“I’ll set up the guest’s tent in your room for Kahel. It’ll protect your reputation a bit – I guess.” Hyesung volunteered as he stood up and brought cups of coffee on the side of our table.

Our meal time seemed to be extended and now, I can feel that we are going for a second round. I am still a woman and matching with their appetite will be a very huge challenge from now on. I scooped a part of the cake and it somewhat tasted surreal. It was so pleasant to my taste buds.

“I suggest for us to arrange this properly and skip this activity for tonight. Kahel has a class tomorrow and she can’t attend school like a zombie. Since Minwoo and Andy are free tomorrow, clean your room first.” Dongwan Oppa strongly suggested after drinking a gulp of caffeine from his cup.

“Okay! So after this, we can go and play gonggi before we sleep right?!” Jinnie Oppa insisted until the end.

All of their eyes glitter with excitement when they heard his suggestion. It seems to be a very famous game within their pack. I suddenly felt that happy pressure. Their smiles are so genuine to the point that they started talking about the last time they played it.

They even told me that one of the main reasons why bean bags were chosen to occupy their receiving area was for this game. We immediately transferred to their gaming arena while Minwoo Oppa and Hyesung Oppa washed the dishes in a hurry.

I watched the six of them enthusiastically screamed during their turns. They also have some sneaky ways of distracting each other and at the same time showed their signature pose while enjoying the game. It was another version of playing a jackstone, only this one is more complicated. The more competitive they were, the happier the game. I promised to join them next week, same day – same time.

We headed to our room and they bid me goodnight as they ascended to their nests upstairs. I on the other hand went to my cabinet and fixed the additional keys on the Pandora’s box that Ace Oppa gave me. Little by little, I am recovering. Each day that I spent here served more like a healing session than a casual mission.

I decided to have a sponge bath even if it is cold. I smelled like mint all over because of the ointment a while ago. Just like the usual, I preferred to be on my onesie and tonight, I’ll be a kitten.

Light knocks on my door woke me up. I reached for my glasses and checked my phone for the time while I am still trying to get a grip of myself under my warm blanket. I almost jumped off from my bed when I discovered that I forgot to set an alarm! OH MY!!!

I immediately run to my door without even looking at the mirror and opened it to see who’s been waiting. I regret my rash decision right after seeing Hyesung standing in front of me with his left hand in the air against an invisible door surface. He was relatively looking away and just paid attention on his target when he was not able to feel it with his fist. He looked down and after seeing me he stuttered with his first word.

“You.. I.. No I mean we – our classes got cancelled because of the typhoon.” Hyesung looked away in an instant and pointed at the window.

It does not seem to be raining hard. I was confused of what he just said. Where are the rest of his brothers? I looked at him without noticing that I am frowning too much.

“Ahh, it’s not a joke. The rainfall might not be much but it’s the wind’s acceleration which became the basis of the typhoon’s classification. I just got a call from Jinnie a while ago. All of them have earlier classes than us. He said that they will just finish something at school and will go home right away.” The delicate prince explained without pausing. I am surprised how he read what’s on my mind.

I looked at him carefully and it seems as if he is planning to go outside.  He is wearing a black track suit and it was topped with a trench coat hoodie. His fair skin is covered immensely, if he’ll put a face mask, he can be mistaken as a royal ninja.

He wiped the invisible sweat on his forehead and I suddenly remembered his ponytail hair do. Both extremely look good on him but with different intensities that I cannot handle. He’s like that ideal main character in an anime, the one who always gets the best lines to say. It was a great thing that those characters’ manifestation is an awkward alter ego like him.

“Would you mind coming with me to my part time job? The kids might be waiting.” He asked with a nervous tone. I know that he is trying to do his best to muster his confidence.

“Kids?” It was a rocket science theory for me. I got lost in a split second while talking to him. I wanted to ask more but I decided to see it personally rather than spoiling myself from a surprise revelation. He was about to answer when I –

“Okay, I’ll quickly prepare and be back in ten minutes.” I told him. He smiled and nodded right away.

I decided to wear a thick ash grey knee length hoodie. I still wore leggings under it even if it is almost a dress. My sneakers will be very useful today. I went out carrying my back pack and saw him patiently staring at our dorm’s glass covered roof. I just remembered about its existence today. It was meant for stargazing and rainy nights made me forgot it essence.

He is so beautiful. I looked at him and it gave me the feeling of seeing a very surreal image of an elf. He glanced at my direction with a very impeccable grace, everything became slow motion until he spoke.

“Oh – sorry I didn’t notice you were out already. I.. Uhm.. I was just.. I was spacing out a bit.” Hyesung never failed to amuse me with his only flaw. His trivial character made it easier for me to accept that nobody’s perfect.

He told me that the place is near so we will just take the bus. It was a relief that the rain decided to rest when we went out. The sky was still field with dark gloomy clouds and the wind is harshly blowing in an almost freezing temperature. We both braced ourselves from its slapping force. 

A bus stopped in front of us and as what I expected, we were the only passenger. We didn’t speak a word for the rest of our ride. It was just barely ten minutes when he stood up and asked the driver to pull over. I followed him accordingly and got startled to see that we were in front of a nursery school.

Children were eagerly waving at him and I can see their smiling faces on the glass window of the structure. I was surprised to see all of them wearing taekwondo uniforms when we entered the room.  They all greeted him warmly and hugged his legs like his babies.

I was left outside the door with a disbelief of what I am seeing. The stuttering prince hugged them back. They were talking to each other like he is their young father.  

“Kahel, come here. I will introduce you to them.” He waved at me to move closer and I was still unable to comprehend what’s happening until he stood up and lead them to me instead.

“Kids, meet my dongsaeng. Her name is Kahel. She’s the one that I’ve been talking about.” Hyesung nodded at me and it gave me the queue to reach for them – the only thing that I was able to do was smile.

Their cute faces were all looking up at me. I decided to kneel so that we can meet at eye level. They bowed at me politely and a little boy asked me –

“Can we give you a hug too? It’s cold and we can be warm together.” His shy attempt made me stretch out my arms automatically to invite them in a group hug.

Hyesung’s students swarmed towards me and all of us stick together like melted marshmallows. I was enjoying everything when I suddenly hear one of the little girls whispered

“Eonnie, you really look like Ace Oppa. We miss him so much! Thank you for visiting us.”

It was one of the sweetest voices that I’ve heard since the last time I interacted with children. I was not able to control my tears at that time and hid my suppressed sobs under their cover. I wiped my tears as fast as I can when I saw Hyesung returning to our location after explaining to the kids’ parents.

He sat down and formed a small circle with them. My heart is still wavering with that surprise statement. Hyesung explained to them gently about the class cancellation and promised to make it up with them next session. Before they left, the same little boy who asked me for a hug came right in front of me.

“Will you come back next time and learn with us?” He had his innocent hopeful eyes waiting for my answer.

“Yes. I will.” And I gave him a final hug until he ran to his mother’s side.

Hyesung stood near me and waved at him. I looked down on the floor to escape from my overwhelming emotions. I can’t stand it anymore. Why can’t I easily get through this pain? Every time I was able to move forward, the next time memories hit me – I go back to zero again. It is so unfair.

“Kahel, I won’t stop you from doing an ugly cry. I won’t look if it will make you feel better but – please lean on me when you need someone to be there for you – especially now that I am the only one left here.” Hyesung Oppa turned around while saying his sentiments; he stepped back to be more reachable from where I stand.

“Accepting your weakness does not pronounce defeat Kahel. It is a sign of being strong enough to acknowledge your complexities and move on to the next level of maturity to become a stronger individual. Always keep that in mind.” He said with pure conviction.

And that moment, without any reply – I decided to share with him my irrevocable decision to cry.

He handed me a handkerchief to wipe my tears and it was not new to me anymore to see that he also have that identical garment like the other members. Hyesung is still a box which is full of surprises. I didn’t know that he has a gentle side until now. I thought he wasn’t paying attention but he proved me wrong with my assumption.

“Thank you Oppa.” I told him as I returned his hankie. He blushed unexpectedly. I can’t help but to see how easily he got affected by my remarks of gratitude. He has a very different way of expressing himself. It was cute.

We were waiting for the bus at the opposite part of the road when I noticed him looking at me. I twisted on my side and without any hesitation I heard him say:

“See through rationality, endure numerous grievances – try harder. Kahel, do you know what this means?”

He looked away like nothing happened. I was caught off guard. Their minds must have been wired the same way. He said the riddle just like that and base from what I’ve heard, it has a very different pattern from the first four.  I need to clear my mind. I can see the image of the bus coming our way already. I can sense that he is waiting for my answer.

I don’t have any other choice but to give it a try and before I can even say it, a bolt of lightning took the chance to capture that scene, and a roaring sound of thunder enveloped my voice with its loud sound as I shouted the word – STRENGTH.

That was the first time I saw Hyesung smiled and laughed at the top of his lungs and revealed a golden portion of his teeth from my direction. We were happy in that snap of a second when the bus stopped in front of us.

He let me get in first like the rest of his brothers, he pointed on the vacant seat at the back of the car. They somehow always give me the chance to sit near the window for an odd reason but I like it that way.

He sat next to me and I got surprised when I noticed him pushing a white velvet covered ring box towards me. He is rubbing it on my arm like he does not want to say any word about it. I took it from his hand and untied the orange ribbon which keeps it shut.  The edge of the key was slightly protruded on its surface when I opened it. Wow, this is so bizarre yet very dreamy.

“Congratulations Kahel.” He told me with his deep cheerful voice while giving me two thumbs up.

I wanted to cup it in between my palm but I thought that it might get wet the moment we go out of the bus.  I have the umbrella that Andy Oppa gave me but I doubt if it can keep both of us unharmed by the heavy down pour of the unpleasant rain. I put it inside my bag instead.

The bus driver halted the vehicle a bit nearer to our dorm’s gate than its usual distance when passengers are getting off. He might have sensed our need for assistance in this kind of situation. We jumped off quickly and I steadied my folding umbrella right above our heads. I suddenly felt so small. Hyesung Oppa quickly avoided the umbrella from ruining his hair as he shielded it with his hand.

“Let me carry this for us. Go on and enter the password.” He does not seem too affected with it but I can feel that he has a strong regard for his hair.

I hastily clicked the numbers and the gate opened for us. He seemed to move slower than the others, I observed carefully what’s taking us longer than usual and I saw that he is trying to carefully avoid the muddy spots on our path. It doesn’t matter to me. I am happier that I can identify uniqueness from every one of them now.

It appears like the dorm is already occupied. Seeing all of their shoes on the edge of our door, it’s a full house. We entered right away but to our surprise the living room was empty,  like nobody’s home.

“Is it just me or –” I started to probe towards him.