Instant Muse

Permanent Substitute

Their comfort room was intended for multiple users. I can see the thoughtfulness of the owner to give them this much space when it comes to this aspect. It was a very neat playground.

There were two toilets facing each other on the far end of this spatial area, its privacy curtains are tucked neatly with a string. Four showers were aligned on opposite directions in the middle part while there were two sinks with a huge mirror for full visual assistance. The wall behind me showed a variety of manly products and the scent of strawberry soap is ironically evident just now. The huge bathtub located at the centre of the shower area is still pink in colour from the bubble soap and there were floating rubber ducklings on it. The weirdest part is discovering those water guns hanging at the back of the door with different shapes and sizes.

I dismissed my useless ideas and proceeded with my original intention – I washed my face with the cold water and untied my hair to redo its arrangement to a one sided braid. My fringe is long enough to be tucked under the corner of my ears. I put my glasses back. I look better now.  I decided to just wear my coal t-shirt as it is. I grasp my brother’s long sleeves on my other hand and turned the door knob to get out.

I blinked twice upon making my exit. I don’t get it. It is completely dark outside. I don’t have any plans of searching for the switch since I am a foreigner in this place. I tried to decide whether I should go out or not. I convinced myself to wait.

Then it started to appear, a stream of white led lights began to trace the word “WELCOME HOME” and within a second, the lights went on again together with the shower of confetti on my direction. The sound of happy screams from the group of six men who will be with me for the rest of the term.

Now that I see it, all of them are wearing name tags now just like Minwoo and Dongwan.

Two new faces appeared in front of me. I saw a tall beautiful guy wearing a white polo-shirt carrying a blueberry cheesecake on his hands. His hazelnut brown hair was pulled upward to intentionally reveal his smooth forehead. His graceful appearance made him look like a prince. His shy thin lips matched his tiny nose and all together it complimented his cat like gaze. He looks so unearthly real with the kind of elegance that he possesses as a man; I’d say he is glittering like a comet. Hyesung – his name fitted him exactly.

Next to him was a man as tall as him but with a broader set of shoulders. He is continuously clapping even if the greeting already ended. His unusual behaviour made it obvious to my eyes. He is just there standing like a statue who came to life and decided to wear a white hoodie for the first time. His snapback was worn on the opposite direction which trapped his slightly curled fringe on its edge.

 

His puppy eyes looked at me with joy while he keeps on rubbing his cringed nose bridge. He does not need a bronzer to make those handsome cheekbones be obvious since his face was sculpted in a very exquisite manner already. Perfectly chiselled that’s the way I’d describe his image which is full of exotic charisma. His name is easy to read even if his name tag was placed on his chest upside down – Eric.

I am at loss of words again. My mental state is seriously deteriorating right now. I can see that they are waiting for me to say something. I’ll give it a try.

“Thank you for welcoming me like this. I’m Kahel, Ace’s younger sister. Nice to meet you.” It was very short indeed but I said the summary of what I felt and it is from the bottom of my heart.

“Okay! Time for dinner!” Dongwan shouted happily and started to uncover the dinner table’s savoury plates. I don’t know what exactly he cooked for all of us but the scent is something to die for, the roasted chicken is the only thing that I can identify together with fresh fruits of all kinds.

Andy politely pulled the designated chair for me. I don’t know why I feel so exhausted. I am not usually quiet. In fact I am one of the loudest people in my crowd but why do I feel so empty today?

“Don’t take it all by yourself. It will not make you feel any better.” I heard an unfamiliar deep voice spoke out of nowhere.

I looked up and saw the guy named Eric putting a slice of blueberry cheesecake on my plate while his fork on another hand. All of them looked at him with the same expression as I have. He stared at them blankly like he only said what’s supposed to be told.

I cannot contradict with his statement. He is right. I need to do well. I need to recover fast.

“Thank you for reminding.” I tried to say with a smile.

“Don’t mention it.” He said shortly while still busy slicing the rest of the cake into 6 equal pieces.

“He overslept today that is why is acting like that.” Dongwan intervened and laughed uneasily.

There was an awkward silence, the kind of awkward when you don’t have anything to say anymore. No one is even trying to break the loop. I can’t think of anything else so I asked.

“What is it like when Oppa was here?” I tried.

“We don’t talk about people when they are not here.” Eric dismissed.

“Your brother asked us not to talk about him when you are here.” Hyesung added.

It made me feel miserable. Now what? I think nothing is left for me to talk about. I’m already going crazy with all of these sudden emotions swelling inside my heart.

“Why don’t we talk about us instead? Even if it is difficult.” Andy suggested.

“Yes just the way how we started before.” Minwoo agreed.

They are starting to lighten the mood. I have not tasted anything from my plate. It was the first time that I did not touch my favourite cake as soon as it landed in front of me.

“We won’t start until Kahel takes three spoonful of food from her meal.” Dongwan emphasized.

“Ya! Why are you not eating? Don’t be a kill joy.” Junjin started to burst from his seat.

I felt guilty upon ruining the night with my uncooperative attitude. I started to scoop a portion of soup from the bowl in front of me and took a delicious bite of chicken too. The food was really good. I just realized how hungry I was.

“Here have some iced tea too.” Hyesung added and pushed a glass of drink towards my direction.

“Thank you.” I said quickly and grabbed it to place my drink nearer to my plate.

After taking a few spoonful of nourishment and several gulps of beverage, dreariness left me and my brain suddenly became fully functional. This is the main reason why I am afraid to starve, when hunger comes in love flies out of the window. I always become an irrational person and I sometimes self-split unknowingly. I feel sorry for them.

I cannot believe that I’ve been spacing out too much. My position on the table was the best place to appreciate their very uncommon sophisticated visuals. Sitting right in the middle of a bunch of beautiful men can be a once in a life time kind of thing for a normal lady, in my case – it is something unexpected.

Minwoo’s shrimp eyes are steadily counting. It does not make me uncomfortable for a reason. I am in between him and Dongwan who’s continuously putting sliced meat on my dish.

I am not sure why Eric is scraping off all the blueberries at the top of his cake and putting it at the side of his plate. Those were my favourite.  Hyesung is doing the same thing beside Dongwan. Do they hate it? I observed quietly from the corner of my eyes.

A sudden kick under the table surprised me and brought my focus towards Andy and Junjin’s direction in front of me. They were giggling while talking about something. They would like to include me but they are across the table. It did not take long for me to discover.

Eric stood beside Minwoo to stretch his wide shoulders over him and transferred all his perfectly collected blueberries on my plate. The ponytailed brothers laugh out loud in chorus. Hyesung’s face wasn’t pleased at all.

“We are no longer the maknae in this house now that you are here. I’m jealous.” said Junjin.

“I can see that there is a new competition for favouritism. Hahahaha!” Andy added.

Minwoo and Dongwan laughed at the ridiculous thought. Hyesung however still stood and placed his portion on the top of my untouched cake while saying “Better late than never.”

I didn’t know that they are competitive with each other. Both of them look very shy on the outside but I think I was too early to assess their personalities. Eric is currently sticking out his tongue in front of Hyesung as he was trying to ignore his childish response. I can’t help but to be entertained.

“I think we are good to go with our introduction since Kahel’s already in the mood. Kids let’s keep it short and simple; Name, Age, Course Major, Nick Name and one random thing about yourself. Questions will be allowed after that. Let’s start from you Dongwan-ah” Minwoo finally initiated the mini program.

I looked on my right and he started directly.

“Kim Dongwan, 22, Pharmaceutical Engineering, Wannie but you may call me Oppayam and I am good at saying no when everybody is saying yes.” After saying that, he winked at me and gave that shot of an invisible bullet towards my direction.

Hyesung forgot that it was his turn because he got carried away while laughing at his friend. It was an awkward situation when Junjin hit him with his elbow to get him back to his senses. He shyly started.

“Ah..” cleared his throat first “Everybody knows me for being Shin Hyesung, it was a name that was given to me when I joined a singing competition back in high school but my real name is Jung Pilgyo.” He was about to say something when he abruptly stopped and think for a bit and continued awkwardly again saying:

“S.. Steve is my name as well – my American name. I am also 22 and taking a Bachelor Degree on Theatrical Music and Arts. I like sesame oil and sesame seeds.” He was about to end his speech when he remembered something

“And – yes my nickname would be anything that you want. It is up to you.” And he gave me that prince like smile. It was gently pasted on his face and his plum cheeks made him wield cuteness together with his meaty eye bags. Oh so beautiful.

Junjin somehow got my attention when he stood from his seat and bowed before saying his full introduction with his comical serious face.

“Although you know already about me being Junjin, let me tell you my real name. It is Park Choongjae.” And his sudden pause made the rest of them laugh but I didn’t know why.

“Plenty of people who misheard my name before often thought and reacted the same way. It is close to the sound of the word pesticide and insecticide but nonetheless I am Junjin.” He tried to cover his mouth from laughing on what he just said and displayed that serious expression again.

“I’m 21. My hyungs call me Jinnie and I am taking the same course like Hyesung Hyung. I specially hate fake moles.” He sat right away and his joke infected us as soon as he burst laughing with tears on what he just said.

I thought I’m the only one who heard that absurd thing but it seems everyone’s dying with this hilarious ending, so Junjin is really their mood maker, their golden boy.

After taking a sip from his iced tea, Andy came next to him. He gave a shy smile before speaking.

“I’m Andy Lee and my Korean name is Lee SunHo. I am a few months younger than Junjin and I am also 21. They just call me by my name most of the time. You’re free to give me a nickname that you’d like. I am taking a Bachelor Degree on Hospitality Management and what’s next again?” he forgot what to say next.

“Something about you Andy-ah.” Dongwan said in an instant. He laughed briefly and continued.

“Oh yes, that one. Hmmm. I enjoy playing virtual games.” And he waved his smart phone while saying it with a smile on his baby face.

A gamer – I think he will hate me soon. I tried to smile back but the thought is kind of hard to brush off.

Eric didn’t start to speak when all of us looked at him for his turn. He is obviously spacing out. Minwoo snapped his fingers in front of him and it was like he’s really out of our world.

“Hey stop freaking her out. Why are you being like that today?” Minwoo assisted his lost friend. He tried to express an empty laughter and tried to make a nervous eye contact towards me.

He is not as confident as how he looks. His charismatic existence did not equate to his poise. I cannot believe that he is an introverted person after all.

“He is not shy. It is just taking him so much time trying to organize thoughts in his mind to arrange it into words.” Dongwan whispered while looking at me with an assuring demeanour.

Eric blinked his eyes and I think he is ready to go. I beamed at him to encourage him somehow and he responded with a reluctant smirk.

“I’m Eric, Mun JungHyuk is my Korean name. 22 and taking a Bachelor’s Degree on Arts and Stage Production.” He stopped to inhale deeply and said “I had a mental breakdown while trying to think of a nickname because they always call me mikkulaji but I don’t want you to call me that.”

He cringed his nose while smiling like a naughty kid. “Try to think of something else but I think you’ll end up calling me Oppa instead. Lastly, I like puppies.” He ended by putting his clenched fists on both sides of his face, coming up with and aegyo that is irrevocably endearing. I just can’t.

What should I do? I’m not a fan of dogs.

While thinking about it, I directed my vision to Minwoo whom at that time is getting something inside his pocket. We are all waiting for him when he landed a panda plush toy in front of me.

“Here’s a welcoming gift from me. Lee Minwoo, 22 and they call me Minbong most of the time. Please don’t call me that though. Hahaha! I am taking a Bachelor’s Degree on clothing design and I love sweets and music. Nice to meet you.” It was fast, very comfortable and warm – that is how his introduction left an impression to me.

“It’s your turn now Little Ahgassi – our muse.” Junjin reminded me while I am still busy sorting a lot of thoughts and facts about them inside my mind.