Void

Permanent Substitute

After our briefing about the situation, everybody went inside the house – it seems like I am the only one who does not have any class today. I don’t want to look like a pathetic brat who needs a companion so I pretended to be fully capable of existing alone.

They will be go to school for tomorrow’s event preparation.  Andy Oppa just told me that each of them is a head officer of different committees and departments too. Before they left, Dongwan Oppa already prepared my lunch and put it on the table for me.

Hyesung Oppa seemed to know exactly what to do. He set up the mini tent inside the trapezoid room and told me that I can go there any time that I like. I came to take a look at the mini tent that he was talking about but I was so surprised to see a family tent inside MinJinDy’s room. I can’t go there yet, I went down again by myself. I was so restless.

I can’t help but to consider myself as an affliction for all of them. I must do something to help but how can I possibly contribute when I am that thorn in their flesh. I went to my room and shove the last key on the Pandora’s box that my brother gave me.  I didn’t have any energy left to be excited about what it could be since I am scared to death of what could possibly happen to those six men.

I decided to wash up first to somehow cool down myself from this stressful day.  I dipped my body on my personal bath tub and made all the rubber ducks squeal as they acted as stress balls. Sigh.

I decided to listen to music with the headphones that Minwoo Oppa gave me. I thought that it should relax me a bit. I went to my table and aligned all the gonggi pieces in front of their wacky pictures. I am still not ready to leave. I haven’t played enough gonggi with them. I rubbed my fingers on each of their images. I can’t believe I am doing this for the first time. My heart feels like it is being clutched cruelly.

I have nothing to do now that I am alone. I lazily carried my snowy white teddy bear on my lap and embraced it tightly. In the middle of my frustration, I saw that there was a name on its bow tie – LemonShuuu what?!

The handwriting was written hastily that it almost resembled like a scribble. I think I will ask Hyesung Oppa about this later when he gets back, for now its name would be LemonShu. I carried it on my back while I walk inside the house. It looks like I am here to explore it by myself for the last time. My own emotions started to betray me. I started to become gloomy. I can’t imagine my life without them anymore.

I decided to get my gadgets and climb to the second floor with my soft companion. I crawled inside the tent and rolled many times until I get dizzy. So this is what it feels like to be literally alone. I checked my phone but even if I have internet, it is still not enough to fill the gap of their presence. I closed my eyes to just simply – leave and abandon the real world while laying my head on LemonShu’s soft tummy.

I thought I was dreaming when I felt my phone vibrating. To my surprise, I saw “MinBong” flashing on my screen. I tried to think hard before answering and suddenly remembered that it was Minwoo Oppa’s nickname. I answered it right away.

“Kahel, there’ve been changes of plan. You need to go here now. It seems like the Madam made her initial steps sooner than we expected. We already asked Mr. Brook to go there and pick you up.” Minwoo Oppa’s voice can be hardly heard because of the ongoing musical practice in the background.

“Yes Oppa. I’ll be there soon.” And I hanged up.

I saw some messages blinking on my screen right after my notifications got updated when I went up here. I was in a hurry that I did not bother to check it anymore. I rushed to my room. I decided to just wear a snap back because I can’t go and blow dry my hair anymore and just wore denim long sleeves over a white shirt partnered with skinny jeans. I can officially say that Oppayam’s running shoes is my new favourite; I wore it again right away.

With my ear piece still hugging my neck, I came out in a hurry and wiped my glasses while waiting for Mr. Brook.  I carried my back pack in front of my chest like what I always did back in my university days. It is so humid but I am still hoping deep inside my heart for the sky not to cry specifically today. Please.

I can hear Mr. Brook’s voice apologizing for coming late as he parked his car in front of where I am standing. He told me that he could have been earlier if his tourist passenger only knew the directions of his destination.  I gave him a smile and told him that it is totally fine. From what I can see, it seems as if he is fully aware of what is going on.

He skilfully took the shortcuts to be able to make up for the lost time. I can already see Jinnie Oppa and Andy Oppa together on our school’s gate anxiously looking for any signs of my arrival. I opened the window and waved at them right away. Equipment trucks and some vans made it harder for us to get in. I decided to just go down of the car and run towards them.

We briskly walked without talking since we all know what’s about to happen. We are like one in thought. We need to reserve our energy for the confrontation. The two of them walked through the crowd like winds. I was kept close in between them and we reached the office of the president’s lounge in no time.

I was glad to finally be reunited with my brothers and on the other side I saw the lady who was named Jun Mida. It made my blood boil with so much anger. It was a very nice thing that she was sitting on our opposite direction, far enough for me not to reach her.

“Kahel, you don’t need to say anything later. Just trust us okay?” Oppayam whispered to me and squeezed my cold hands tightly.

“Our President is just currently busy with a very important client. After their meeting we are next to go. Relax a bit.” Hyesung Oppa added.

 They were not even shaken. I can’t believe that so many things can happen within just a day. If I only knew I should have written everything diligently on Oppayams journal.

The knobs twisted and the door opened as expected and it signalled our most awaited moment. The client walked with his head still turned towards our school president’s direction and to my astonishing discovery – I saw Sir Yako standing before me.

I looked at him with a bewildered expression and his reaction reflected mine in so many angles that a mirror can define. What exactly is this all about?

“Kahel! You’re late! How can you possibly made us wait?!” my professor scolded me casually and dragged me inside the room.

I am so clueless. I looked back at them hopelessly before the door closed in front of my face. What exactly is happening? I am so lost right now.

He sealed the door properly before saying a word.

“Mr. Simon, she’s the brain behind Project Vanilla.” Sir Yako proudly said.

I desperately tried to look at the President’s face; I was surprised to see a very pleasant old man smiling at me with a kind expression on his face. He was like the complete opposite of his cousin outside. I walked towards his table to shake his extended right hand. It was as warm as his presence.

“Kahel Han, I never thought we will meet this way. I thought Ace was just trying to brag about you because you are his sister. I didn’t know that you will save the whole school from trouble. I soulfully think that I am in an immense debt of you right now.” He spoke words that my brain did not accept as a comprehensive language. What is he even talking about?

“Hey, you didn’t read thoroughly the email that I sent you this morning?” Sir Yako asked like he was about to laugh at me. I shook my head slowly and he started to chuckle at my ignorance.

“You see young lady, I’ve been to different countries to do a research and to complete a competitive learning curve to be integrated in our school. It was all but pure raw confidential data and years of research that I invested on. It was a tool to make this school’s future to shine brighter as ever. Age can be a very cruel enemy Kahel. As a very careless old man, my accounts were hacked. I dawned to lose my trust from the people that I worked with so I coordinated with a close friend back here in our country and your professor got highly recommended for it.

I asked him to keep the project confidential even from your teacher. As we communicated, I learned that he was working with a newly graduate student who’s a very capable expert when it comes to ethical hacking. Thank you for accepting and doing the counter hacking successfully.

He was not aware of what you are both working on until yesterday when I arrived here. I am now weighing my options of what I should give you as a reward. If there is anything that you want, please let me know.” President Simon offered me an upper hand to our current situation.

I did not need to think further, even if I will be a shameless person – pride is the last thing that I am going to consider if it is for the most important people in my life.

“I would like to request for you to let me stay at the SHINHWA Dorm until I finish my short course here Sir.” It is more than just a request for me. It was the most significant thing in my existence right now.

To my request, Mr. Simon frowned. He appeared unsure and my heart started to sink. I am not sure what I will do if he says no. I think I will cry in front of him and just walk out. I don’t know anymore.

“Young lady that request will be too much for me to grant. I no longer own SHINHWA Dorm.” The President’s sincere eyes looked at me with honesty. I felt defeated. I – I just can’t.