Timeless Date

Permanent Substitute

“Ahh, it’s normal. They are upstairs for sure. Let me check first and I’ll go down to get you.” Hyesung Oppa sprinted up the spiral staircase and saw him checked their room first.  He went out right away shaking his head giving me a signal that it’s empty. He went to the largest room in the middle and the next thing that I’ve witnessed are flying pillows attacking his face.

“Ya! Stop it! You’ll hit her downstairs! Ya!” He’s voice was loud and clear. He was aiming to kick someone already when the solo combat stopped.

“Kahel!!! Go change now! We are going to play gonggi!!!” Jinnie Oppa’s voice invited.

“Yeaaah! We have lots of food here!!!” Minwoo Oppa’s kiddie voice followed.

“Yes Sir!” I shouted right back at them and hurried to my room. I was so excited I almost trip in front of my cabinet. Wearing onesie won’t surprise them anymore. Ahh, it already felt like my secondary skin inside this shelter. I’ll go for Pikachu this time.

I took off the fifth key and secured it on the keyhole where it will fit.  I’m almost there but I can see a more interesting agenda right now rather than getting to open my brother’s gift. A soft knock caught my attention and heard the prince’s voice behind my door. It must be time to go up. I stood right away and closed my dresser.

A huge teddy bear startled me when I opened my door. Hyesung Oppa peeked behind it and transferred it to my hands. It was softer than my pillows. It was so huge that it’s almost three-fourth of my size. I hugged it tightly and mumbled my gratitude pressing my lips on its soft fur then I safely put it on my bed.

“The rest are waiting for us already, if you’d like you can bring your laptop and phone with you to try the signal.” He said while he started walking towards the stairs.

I nodded at him and grabbed my laptop and my phone all at once. It was a great thing that he reminded me about it.  I almost forgot because I was too immersed with the idea of spending my whole afternoon with them. I looked up at the skylight of our roof. The rain is slowly kissing the glass that separates us from each other. I closed my eyes and imagined my brother happily staring back at me from heaven.

The wooden staircase where I always see them descending gave me a homey vibe. I climbed slowly until I reach the second floor.  As my head started to immerge on the floorboard, the door already showed me a very welcoming atmosphere from my brothers.

The largest room had wide mattresses spread all over the floor. I can see that it was not solely meant for three people today.  A thread of white led lights outlined the trapezoid shape of the room’s ceiling. It was neat and manly. Their pillow cases and their blankets were with a combination of black and leopard print garments. Their room smelled like shower fresh mint scent. I looked like a pokemon surrounded by a group of a handsome boy group.  They were all wearing white shirts and were on knee length shorts. The patterns ranged from chequered, stripes and of plain earthly colours.  

They started to get up when they saw me standing on the door’s edge. Junjin Oppa and Andy Oppa helped each other fold the sleeping beds aside and gathered the scattered pillows on their double deck nest located at the right side of the room.  They were still in the middle of making an area for the game when my phone rang from my pocket.

It seems legit to me now. I got my mobile device and it evidently showed a full bar of signal from its label guide. I missed the call from my professor; I sent a message that I will call back in a bit instead. All of them are waiting for me patiently together with a set of gonggi rocks on the floor.

“Shall we start?” Hyesung Oppa said like an MC for a show.

I dropped my gadgets beside their lava lamp and sat in an Indian sit next to Minwoo Oppa. I was a reserved player this time since I keep on messing up the game with my beginner skills; they just competed with each other. I made myself useful by passing those mini bowls of jajangmyeon and iced tea. There was a small table right beside the wall near their window that contained the entire set of ready to eat snacks. There were a bunch of mini burgers and also a box of pizza waiting to be digested by our hungry stomachs. It was raining hard outside and now the whole team are so busy deciding who will be my teacher for a skill upgrade. It was funny to begin with but it drills a deep bonding for all of us.

They were all eager to teach me specially Jinnie Oppa and Oppayam. I on the other hand rooted for Andy Oppa since he plays calmly and his posture looks like he can play very well. They rallied over and over and took a few more rounds not giving up until the end. Andy Oppa even suggested for me to rest from watching because it will just drain my soul.  It was true. The more I watch them playing, the more I die from laughing at their hilarious battle. I can’t be bored when I am around them but I needed to check something quickly as well.

I went to the vacant bed on the left side and brought my phone and laptop with me. I tried to connect to the internet via my mobile data and it was perfect. I can’t believe it myself. Their room must be some sort of a portal to the cyber world. I was able to open my emails quickly and work as I please. I was able to perform all the troubleshooting and testing that I needed to execute on my project. My virtual chat with my teacher is also reflecting a more positive outcome from my study and as I was reviewing a few more pages, I saw the six of them stood up and just resolve the battle to a simpler game. I got diverted briefly when I saw them throwing off rock-paper-scissors instead?

My professor signed off with the last message saying –

“I’ll let you know the soonest. Our client would like to meet you too.”

After seeing that, I glanced again to the epic fight and saw Eric rolling on the floor while laughing. Jinnie Oppa is being hugged by Hyesung Oppa passionately while Andy Oppa, Minwoo Oppa together with Oppayam are laughing on another side at the result. I think, I am seeing a very obvious picture of who won.

“Game over. Let’s go down stairs, I’ll cook dinner now it’s pretty late. Eric don’t rub it too much on Jinnie. Hahaha!” Oppayam said as he went outside and Eric got up with Minwoo Oppa’s help.

 I left the bed to ask what happened and discovered that, Eric really won by luck. Jinnie Oppa was still sulking pretty deep but he recovered fast when Andy Oppa mentioned that we have strawberry ice cream inside the refrigerator for dessert.

“Ya! Kahel, would you like to see our room?” Hyesung Oppa offered with excitement in his eyes. I am not that curious about it but Eric already pushed me towards the door and guided me with his hands which were tightly grabbing my shoulders going to their door.

His roommate opened it and it was a lot different from the biggest room. My eyes stared at the gaming computer in front of the black mattress laying on the floor – it speaks Eric’s ownership. It was like a two dimensional room. The side that belongs to Hyesung Oppa looked plain and sophisticated with neat columns of different classical and ballad albums. Eric’s wall is somehow full of manga comics and some collections of different swords but the thing that did not make sense to me are those Hello Kitty items mixed with it.

It showed their very distinct personality. It was fascinating how they can be roommates with this kind situation. It requires a huge amount of understanding and acceptance I think.

“You can come here anytime you feel bored.” Eric told me while giving Hyesung Oppa a wink. His roommate unconditionally said yes by nodding and we followed the rest of them downstairs.

“Kahel, you don’t have a class tomorrow right? Let’s grab coffee somewhere? I’ll teach you my killer moves on gonggi.” Eric suggested behind me. I can hear his eagerness that is so hard to turn down. Besides, seeing that he is into manga (Japanese comics), I think I have found our common denominator.

“Yosh!” I whispered with a salute and he lifted my Pikachu onesie hoodie to put it properly on my head. He had those cute mannerisms that I’d like to uncover.  I can’t be more privileged to know him better.

I can already smell kimchi stew from where we were. Jinnie Oppa and Minwoo Oppa were resting on the bean bags while Andy Oppa just came out of their comfort room, from what I can see it looks like he washed his face. He immediately went to the counter and grabbed the knife to help Oppayam slice the ingredients. Hyesung Oppa on the other hand rushed to our dining area to arrange the plates. I took a glance on my back but it seems like Eric Oppa went back upstairs.

The doorbell rang as soon as I reached the ground floor of our house. It gave me a weird feeling when they looked at each other with a jumpy mood. Are they expecting a visitor?

Minwoo Oppa stood up in a hurry and went outside immediately to check. Everyone’s silence made it uneasy to breathe. What is going on? Nobody’s even moving an inch.  Even those who are on the kitchen area paused what they are doing and Jinnie Oppa muted the television.

Eric came down while carrying a black garbage bag on his hand and dropped it on the floor the moment that he saw Minwoo Oppa outside. He did not open the gate. It seems like he is reading something. I can see him clearly from where I was. He opened and envelope and he is like digesting every word on it.

He folded it again just the way how he got it originally and inserted it back to its container. He slowly walked towards the house and closed the door gently.  Eric cleared his throat and looked at his brother like they were doing a telepathic conversation. Minwoo Oppa gave the parcel to him and he smiled a hopelessly. I was dumbfounded.

“Kids, it will be D-Day anytime from now.” Minwoo Oppa sounded so broken hearted when he said that. It was the first time I hear that kind of tone from him.

I saw them looked down in a synchronized way and let out a deep sigh. I wanted to ask what it is about. I felt so left out. They resumed from what they were doing and I am obviously in the centre of something unknown. I know for a fact that I will be very insensitive if I will push them to tell me.  I remained quiet.  I am lost in the middle.

“Cheer up. We can get through this! Remember, Eric has a plan! Let’s trust him!” Oppayam screamed and sent a wink on Eric’s direction.  

The stoic guy beside me laughed out loud and shouted without any second thought the word:

FIGHTING!!!

Together – from all of their diaphragms they followed another round of uproar. I heard that one encouraging word combined with their infectious laughter. It became apparent to me that in this house, they face trials with their brave hearts, loyalty and love for one another.  They abandoned all of what they are doing to run under the skylight of the house and squeeze me together with them in a very tight group hug. The uncertainty faded away just like that. I was moved.

I decided to go to my room first to place my gadgets on my table.  The teddy bear that Hyesung Oppa gave me seems to be happy with the panda plush toy from Minwoo Oppa on my first day. I sat down on my bed and hugged both just like how they kept me in that very warm space a while ago. I wanted to comfort them but I am clueless – no I am rather helpless.

I left my door slightly opened so that I can hear them outside and it appeared that my decision was right. Oppayam called me briefly saying that our meal is already prepared and we are being summoned to be fed now. The noise from the TV died naturally while the sound of chairs being dragged became present on the void of silence. I came out and went to our common ground in a quickly. I don’t like to keep them waiting from now on.

Jinnie Oppa started brewing up the mood again during meal time. I am as thankful like the rest of the squad to have him stir the conversation with the ability of a master in speech. Dongwan Oppa’s attempts of throwing lame jokes did not even affect the atmosphere at all. I should say that all of them are very much aware of his sense of humour which leads them to just ignore him and continue with the topic.

But I can’t still shake off the idea that there is something big bothering them. I am wondering what it is. I was spacing out when Minwoo Oppa placed a mug of strawberry ice cream in front of me. He touched my head like he knew what’s going on inside my mind and said –

“Everything will be fine Kahel. Don’t worry about it. We will make it through.” His voice sounded so comforting.

What he said meant a lot to me. How can they be so composed? The letter’s arrival gave me a feeling that they are going to face a war soon and I am the only one who’s unaware of what role I will play yet they’ve kept me in the family.

Our banquet ended. I went to my room right after helping Andy Oppa wash the dishes. He did not say anything about it too. He just kept on telling me about the television dramas that he would like to watch with me next time.  They are seizing the opportunity to distract me but what can I do? I just can’t simply put that burden down.

It was a timeless date. I let out a sigh after realizing that I forgot about the time again. I am perfectly sure that I don’t have a class tomorrow but I don’t know about Eric. I decided to give up thinking for now. I will just wait until he knocks on my door. I tried to lay down on my bed but my mind can’t stop thinking. It is remarkably one of those nights when you are so bothered with something that you can’t even put yourself to sleep.

I placed the huge teddy bear beside me and hugged it. It felt so much nicer than my beloved pillows. It somehow gave me that cosiness that I was seeking for. It was like a premade therapy for my sleeping illness. I closed my eyes and shoved my forehead to its furry cheek and I was gone.

4:30 AM. I surprisingly woke by myself without my alarm. Am I too excited? I stood up to open the lights and get water outside. I was so thirsty and my throat felt so dry. It seemed like the rain already stopped and I forgot to turn on the air-conditioning system too.  I powered it up so that when I come back, I can practically continue sleeping with no drama.

I got my glasses on my hand and steadied it on my face as I opened my door. The starlight in the middle of our dorm’s roof looked too enchanted with all the lights from the moon sending spectrum through the resting droplets of rain on its glass. I was so captivated that it can be this striking on a rainless dawn.  I tried to walk towards its inner part when I discovered that someone’s on his way down the staircase.

“Kahel – are you reading my mind?” Eric’s bedroom voice sounded so alluring in the dark.

I was petrified from where I was standing when I saw him fully dressed up for jogging. He stood tall and handsome with that charcoal windbreaker zipped halfway to his chest over that pitch black sleeveless shirt. His running pants are slightly folded up to his lower knee and yes – white running shoes completed his stunningly simple fashion.  My brain jammed because of the idea of running. My hate for physical activities equates to the same rate of how much I love my bed and laptop. I can’t. Not now – even if it is with him.

“Are we going now? Can I drink water first?” I tried to sound like that I am not going to escape.

“Stop imagining things. Go get your drink and I’ll wait outside. Wear something comfortable.” He said gently and left me still and not planning to move a single inch from my position.

My breathing resumed to normal right after he went out. I rushed to the refrigerator and gulped as much water as I can and went to my room in slow motion. I desperately want the gravity of the moon to take over me right now – just to prolong my time. Yes this is exactly how I loathed jogging.

Oppayam is such a genius. I am so thankful about the running shoes that he gave me. I decided to go out with an oversized grey shirt with a picture of that upset cat on those internet memes and just be inside my black leggings with white polka dots on it. I tied my hair to a high ponytail just to be neat and organized. I went out with a small towel dangling on my shoulder.

It was not as dark like 25 minutes ago. The sun already stole the sky time and came out on its schedule. The clouds were bursting with an apparent glow that makes you feel its warmth. He turned and looked at me with a smirk.

“Do you really hate morning’s so much?” He pointed on my shirt and I honestly nodded.

My t-shirt spoke for me: I HATE MORNINGS. I really do.

“Follow me. We will start from here.” He grabbed the sleeve of my t-shirt and I started to follow him naturally.

I can’t believe that any of this is happening. I looked down lazily as I tried to avoid the bright hue of the sun. He was whistling happily on the other hand. This is torture and he is enjoying it just like my brother used to do.  I was trying to match his pace, his strides were wide and mine were only half of his. I didn’t really pay too much attention on his height ever since I came but it looks like he is very tall. After a few turns on some corners from our house we stopped in front of a mini-coffee shop. I called it mini since it seems like an excess part of a residential house that was utilized as a café.

The staff greeted us as we entered.  The interior is no joke at all. I was surprised to see how sophisticated it was. Everything to which I set my eyes on tells me that it has an above the ceiling worth. From vintage prints pinned on the wall, variation of cups displayed on racks and the chandelier – all are an obvious relic of royalty. Eric directly took the table at the middle since it is the only two sitter space available.

I awkwardly sat on my chair while he started to put our orders by himself with confidence that I will like it. It was a huge help for me. I don’t really want to figure out anything right now, particularly when my neurons are uncooperative because of this early surprise event.

“Let’s make this interesting. While waiting for our coffee, don’t you want to know how Ace Hyung managed to get recruited in our dorm?” Eric said all of a sudden.

It was a sure bait. He knew that I can’t say no to it. My curiosity instantly announced my defeat against his smart move. He knew exactly when to deliver the right lines and specifically when to catch a fish.

“I was about to ask that. I’m glad you volunteered.” I lied.

He bit his lower lip and received my pretention coolly with a grin. I hate to admit that he is such an unreadable character since day one. Guessing his personality will surely cause extreme brain haemorrhage to those who will try to figure him out. Rather than weird, I would categorize him as bizarrely unique.

He rose from his chair and got our coffees from the counter then dashed slickly back to his seat. I saw his long attractive fingers dropped a cup of latte on my end and he had a black café Americano next to him. Between us, waited a cinnamon bun topped with cream cheese – it was meant to be shared.

“I was the one who gave him the test. It was a question which has been asked from 200 applicants in an unknown company that I came across from the internet before – it goes like this:

You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night. You pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for the bus: an old lady who looks as if she is about to die, an old friend who once saved your life and the perfect woman you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car?

 Of course I already have the right answer in my mind.” Eric said while I watch his eyes flicker with the memories that he’s been keeping at the back of his head.

“And then?” I asked. I know the right answer too. I have seen that question before and I know that my brother was able to answer that like a piece of cake.

“Ace Hyung answered wrongly. I know that we both know the answer.” He mumbled.

 I was taken-aback of what he said.  It’s impossible. I already told my brother about that question so many years ago but what made him answer in a different way.

“His answer is rather mesmerizing than the overrated one. His answer goes like:

Because I am an introvert and I know for a fact that staying with my dream girl wouldn’t make any difference if I remain with her or not, I will go and pick the old lady and deliver her to the hospital myself. I want to be able to save someone too.  I can’t always ask my old friend to do favours for me all the time. I will leave him with my dream lady because I trust his capability of keeping her safe. I won’t bother if they fall in love as well since for me he deserves the best too. I will not limit my destiny on a hard rainy day, if she is really meant for me – we will be able to meet again no matter what happens after that.” Eric nodded to himself after retelling my brother’s peculiar answer.

He was right. It was well justified.  It was not as creative as the right answer but it was as realistic as it is for him as a person. He gave Eric Oppa a glimpse of his true nature and it is what matters the most when you are getting to know a family member.

I smiled at him and had a sip on my latte as he continued to narrate what happened next.

“At that time, the President of the school was moved on how he took the question personally. His aim on being a part of our dormitory was not driven by ambition but more of by being a part of our brotherhood. I was moved how he considered making memories with us will be as worthwhile as spending his final moments with you.” He sliced the pastry with his fork and ate a portion of it.

“Kahel, you shouldn’t rush taking an elastic marinated titanium because you can’t get it back once wasted.” Eric’s voice sounded like an absolute rule being pronounced with authority. My world stopped. It was the last riddle.

He handed me his mobile phone and showed me lock screen. He’d like me to type in my answer on it. Without any pressure from him, I know the exact numbers to touch – it was 8463.

It glowed as expected and Eric Oppa smiled at me while directing is fork filled with pastry towards me. It was like he’s giving me a slice of the cinnamon bread as a reward. I got the fork from his hand and ate it by myself. He laughed at his epic failure. I know, it is sweet but I don’t want to be in a middle of a mushy scene.