003

Sweet Effort

“You look well,” His mother mumbles after giving him a kiss on his cheek as a form of hello and eyes his intently as he slides into the seat across from her. He makes himself comfortable before bringing out his wallet out of habit and chucking a little when his mother snorts, “Lunch is on me today,” She informs him and raising her hand to, gesturing whichever waitress or waiter who spots her first before bringing her hand back.

“Nice to see you, mum,” He says finally, honest and smiles lightly at her– it has been a while since he has seen her. He’s busy with work and his own thoughts, he’s proud of himself for answering her texts and calling her– not often enough– to inform her that he’s still alive and kicking.

She worries, just like Baekhyun, and more so because she’s his mother and he knows from past experiences she goes absolutely nuts when, he and his older sister, fail return her calls or reply to her texts on time.

“Chanyeol,” She calls him softly. He looks up from the menu he’s flipping through; the café is new for him– cafés aren’t his thing and he prefers making his own coffee.

He stares up at his mother and she’s looking at his hand, he freezes where he sits and heaves out a sigh. “I’ll take it off soon.” He tells her, almost ashamed and he should be for still wearing a ring because it means he’s still holding onto whatever false hope his mind has deluded him into rationalizing.

“You still love him,” It’s not a question, it’s a blunt statement that cuts into him and the sadness in her voice kills him. “And I completely understand that but you tried your best.” Of course she’d say he tried because he’s her only son and she’ll always try to lift him up. But she doesn’t know his mistakes and how detached he allowed his and Kyungsoo’s relationship to be.

“I’d rather not talk about it,” He shrugs, trying to act indifferent and she seems to get the message.

“You never want to talk to anyone but that boy Byun Baekhyun,” She sighs and turns to look through the purse beside her. She pulls out a white envelope and Chanyeol knows what it is because Yura had sent him a number of texts about how annoyed the whole process was. “You’re coming, aren’t you?”

“Are his parents going to be there?” He asks immediately.

“We were close once, Chanyeol, we cannot erase the good times we had as a family because of…” She trails off, “Because of the divorce.” She settles for that and shifts uncomfortably.

“I know that,” He snaps and regrets it when she glowers at him and crosses her tiny arms over her chest. “I’m sorry,” He pauses, “I’m just frustrated and I haven’t seen them in a while, that’s all.” They’ve never bothered to contact him after the divorce was finalized but he knows they still hold contact with his mother and sister.

“Please, show up to your sister’s wedding and her reception after; whether the Dos come or not.” She stares at him, hard. “Talking to them isn’t a requirement and if you do decide to speak with them– don’t bother them about Kyungsoo.”

“I’m not crazy, mum.” He rolls his eyes.

“You still love him.” She repeats and it’s at that moment a waitress causes to come– his mother orders after complaining about the service being slow as and Chanyeol wants to bury himself in that moment.

He orders a latte and some brownies– the wait for their orders is pleasant because she drops the discussion of Yura’s wedding and the Dos. She asks him about his work and he knows it’s all too boring for her when she starts to stray away from the topic at hand.

She smacks her lips together after taking the last sip of her tea and raises from her seat. The bills have been paid by her and she’s ready to get out, “I’m never coming to this café again.” She grumbles as gets to her feet, “Their service is terrible!” She grimaces and Chanyeol smiles as he helps her with her coat, he’s always done it and she never complains.

He escorts her to her taxi, allows her to kiss his forehead when he leans down. She’s short and he gets his height from his late father. “Don’t forget about the wedding or else!” She threatens with a laugh but Chanyeol knows she’s serious. He nods and closes her door before tapping on the taxi’s hood for it to drive off.

He stands on the sidewalk and feels his fingers twitch for a habit he has promised never to pick up again. Yura’s wedding has been something he has been allowing to slip his mind because attending it means potentially meeting his and Kyungsoo’s mutual friends and family.

He curses as he flags down a taxi with a frown plastered over his face.

()()()()

He’s standing in a queue at some new club he heard one of his co-workers raving about. It’s late and Chanyeol ignores that his has work the next morning. He’s already thinking of calling in sick in case waking up becomes too much of a hassle.

Someone bumps into his side and he rolls his eyes because this always happens when he’s in a queue. Drunk people have such balance and he doesn’t understand why they don’t sit down and not move until sober.

He straightens his posture and turns to look at the person who is oddly still glued at his side. “Hey, I’m Taemin and this is Jongin!” The stranger says breathlessly and when he looks down, Chanyeol loses his breath at the sight he’s graced with.

He has seen his fair share of pretty and handsome people and this one is on his top list. Pretty face that Chanyeol just wants to spend time kissing. Before he gets a chance to speak, he turns to the other stranger looking intently at him.

Prettier eyes, plump lips, olive skin and a sharper jawline and taller– he kicks it out of the park looks wise and Chanyeol ignores the first one in favour of him. “Hey,” He breathes out and the cheery stranger laughs hysterically, obviously drunk, and shoves his friend forward who stumbles forward but is quick to hold himself up.

The queue is still going into the loud club and Chanyeol steps out of the line, wraps his hand around the second stranger’s thin wrist. “One moment!” He says when he’s stared at like he’s grown another head.

“Really?” He doesn’t sound too angry– just a little annoyed and he carries himself like this isn’t the first time someone has pulled him aside. “Make it quick!” He snaps but he smiles cheekily and Chanyeol thinks he’s got him where he wants him.

He makes his intentions clear as always– that he just wants a quick before they enter the club and the stranger agrees.

He seems to change his mind the second he eyes Chanyeol’s ring finger and says; “I don’t flirt with married men.”

The corners of his mouth are upturning in amusement as he watches the young man before him. He’s slightly stunned but charmed all the same. He raises his hand, there’s no ring but the circled line from years of never taking it off have yet to fade. “Divorced,” He says and it’s a little weird saying it aloud. He has never had to do so with his previous potential partners because they didn’t seem to care about his ring.

“So you say.” The stranger tells him and his voice is warmer than it was earlier and Chanyeol stares at him because the man is a sight and he has to admit to himself that this the only reason he hasn’t walked away. He wants to take him home as promised. It will not be easy– given he has been going at this for the last half an hour. “What’s my name?”

The question nearly throws Chanyeol off but he’s quick to school his features before he gives away his surprise. “Your name?” He asks nonsensically and his face flushes when he’s stared at with an expression of laughter.

“My name.” He repeats, bringing the half-filled glass to his lips and downing it. It’s not beer, that much Chanyeol remembers but the man’s name downright slips away. He shouldn’t care but he sort of doesn’t and wrecks his brain for it. “My friend earlier practically screamed it,” He says and that doesn’t help trigger his memory at all.

“I don’t remember.” He answers blatantly. He wants to blame the loudness of the club and people shouting around them but they’ve been speaking over the loud music and they met outside the club, while waiting in line.

“And I don’t sleep with men who don’t remember my name.” And he’s effortlessly sliding off his stool by the bar after giving Chanyeol a look, “I’ll see you around, Chanyeol,” He’s nodding to the bartender who waves at him dismissively and Chanyeol loses him in the crowd.

Chanyeol is stunned for a moment before lifting up his glass and bringing it to his lips– he smiles before deciding not to dwell on it because it’s not like this is the first time he has been so obviously rejected.

He stands from his barstool with his eyes already on someone else, he downs his glass of liquor that burns his throat and heads over.

It’s easier to get this one in bed and kick him out immediately after. He tears the sheets off his bed, tosses them in the washer before turning it on and stalking back into his room. He lays down on his unmade bed and lets his exhaustion take over.

()()()()

( ◞・౪・)