Everything She Needed to Hear

Phone Calls

2015. January. 

It was indeed something he would say. Simple, modest, on point, and as nonchalant as possible. Soojung even wondered if he needed an answer to that question.

Her first thought was: no, not you too.

She wasn't ready, and she was disappointed. All these months she's been wondering if Kang Minhyuk cared about her more than he was supposed to, if he ever think about her as much as she did, if he.... loved her.

If he does, she wanted him to tell her all about it. Gave her a long speech about how much he cared for her, about how much he adored her, about how he's missing her everyday when they were apart. Because that's what she felt.

And suddenly he popped that question like he wasn't even think about it.

"What if I told you that I love you?"

Was it because she just told him about Nate and how he confessed to her, and how she rejected him?

Was it because he's going back to Korea tomorrow? So he's just going for it, doesn't care about the risk. But Soojung was different, she's been through a lot of problems last year, and she was exhausted; both mentally and physically, and she's always the person who calculate every possibilities, people may say that she's not willing to take a risk, but she prefer it that way, playing it safe and not crossing the boundaries.

And Kang Minhyuk was definitely crossing the boundaries right now.

Soojung looked at him in disbelief. She didn't know whether to feel happy or sad with his sudden confession.

Was it a confession anyway?

"What if?" she managed to say.

"I love you." he said again, after closing his eyes for a few seconds. His voice was firm, like he was finally able to breathed out after being suffocated for a long time.

"No you're not." she was almost crying. She didn't want it that way.

Not now.

"Why are you telling me this?" Soojung put her hands on top of the fence and rested her head on top of it. She finally felt tears running down on her cheeks and she buried her head between her arms.

"Because..." Her reaction was beyond his imagination, but the again his confession was beyond his imagination. Minhyuk cursed himself silently, if he was able to take his confession again he would, and tonight will be a perfect night before their separation tomorrow.

"Because..." his brain was running around wildly, looking for a suitable answer but he couldn't find any.

"Why now, of all the time you had?" she asked again.

"I'm sorry." he finally said. Maybe sorry was the right word for this situation.

"Why are you sorry?"

"Soojung-ah.."

"No." she looked up and turned her head towards him. "Are you lying?"

"I'm not! I would never... I would never.." he said.

"Why?" she was sobbing now. "Why?"

"Because it's true. Because I do.. love you, for a year now. I've been... I'm in love with you." he reached out for her, her hair. 

Too much love in a sentence, she though. Too much love will kill you

"Why now?" she whispered. "Why me?"

"It's okay if you didn't feel the same way, I get it, it must be difficult with you, and for that I'm sorry."

"You shouldn't be sorry for loving someone."

"I don't."

"Really. You don't."

"Do you..."

"I love you, too." she cut in. She was smiling between her tears. "I always do."

Minhyuk always thought hearing Soojung say those crucial words would feel like hearing a magic orchestra, he thought it will blew him away. But he was feeling empty now. She sounded so sad, yet relieved, to be able to say that she, in fact, loves him too.

"Soojung-ah.."

"But I can't love you."

He took her hand in his, and just stood there beside her. 

"I can't."

"Why?"

"Because I'm scared." she answered, and she knew she's going to break his heart, but if they were going to be in a relationship now, she knew she's going to break his heart deeper than today. "When you get back, you're going to live your old life again. When I get back to Seoul, I will have to work harder than I did all those years ago. All eyes were going to be on me, on us. Loving someone in our line of work wasn't easy, oppa."

He was silent. He was listening to the sound of the waves, and the wind, and the carnival behind them. His head was spinning and she wondered how a girl could control his world so much. 

He didn't know what to say anymore. He was preparing for this big confession, with words arranged carefully so she could feel that his feelings for her was sincere. Instead he only managed to say a few words; words that he needed to say so badly. 

He never thought Soojung would said that she loves him too, but there she was, beautiful than ever even with the tears running in her face and hair blown by the sea breeze, in the middle of the night in this beautiful place. And he thought he loves her even more. 

He had to make this right for both of them. He had to change his intention, so she wouldn't feel guilty for breaking his heart. 

"It's okay to be scared. And I'm not asking you to be in a relationship with me. I know it's not a good time for both of us. It's okay." before he knew it, he was leaning to her and put her arms around her. She felt warm, and small, and Minhyuk knew he has to protect this girl forever. 

"I'm really really sorry."

"It's okay, Soojungie. I'm sorry it's so sudden. I just thought I had to tell you before someone else snatched you away from me."

They stood there for a whole minute. Soojung closed her eyes and feeling his body around him, leaning her head to his shoulder. He was so tall compared to her, and has a broad shoulders and chest so it felt really cozy to be in his arms. She felt.. safe. 

"So what does that make us?" she asked. 

"Friends." he kissed the top of her head. "Friends."

He was okay, more than okay with being her friend. Knowing that she knew about his feelings was enough, hearing her saying that she loves him too was more than enough, and Kang Minhyuk wouldn't risk pressuring her into a relationship she didn't want to be in, he didn't want her to get away from him because she obviously has the power to do such thing.

 


Made a playlist for this fic: http://8tracks.com/xxxraa/the-space-between please listen! i think it suits the story really well :)

PS: please comment here or via twitter @baesickasicka thank you! :)