Over The Sorrow

Phone Calls

2014. September. 

"She did it."

Minhyuk saw the news already; it was all over the internet, TV, and radio. He didn't have the heart to call Soojung, telling her to be strong and that Minhyuk oppa will always be here for her. Soojung called him instead, at 2 PM in the afternoon, when he was on his way to Yonghwa's place for their CN Blue's weekly FIFA battle. 

She was calm, different from weeks ago, when she was crying her eyes out that night in Hangang river park, and he wondered if she was crying today, or if she was getting numb with all the pain already. The last thought scared him, because he didn't want his Soojung to become this cold heartless who doesn't care about people anymore. 

Because the Soojung he knew was a sweet, charming, and caring girl who loves everyone and treat everyone with respect. He didn't want her to change. 

"Are you okay?" he asked. 

"I think so." her voice was all over his car, because he set the speaker on.

"She's going to LA soon. After everything cooled down a bit."

He was silent, letting her to continue. 

"And she's going to China for this event in a few a few months, and London, and Paris... it amazed me that she got all these things planned in just under a month." Soojung let out a bitter laugh. "I guess she'd wanted this for a long time and now that it's finally here.... She's going all the way."

"You'll be okay." Minhyuk cut in, because he cannot bear to hear her depressing tone any longer. She was too precious, and he cared about her too much to see her this fragile. 

"I know."

"I promise you, you'll be okay."

"I know." she smiled, she loved the way he assured her, comforting her, and promised her everything's going to be fine and it did, just because he was with her. 

They talked some more about their daily life, until she said she had to go because her onnie just came home from SM. 

"Be strong." was his last message for her before they said goodbye. 

 

He decided to cancel their appoinment. Jungshin was very angry because Yonghwa was also absent, he was going to Seohyun's house because she was breaking down as well. "Are we controlled by girls, now?? Is CN Blue collapsing because of those annoying girls??!!" Jungshin yelled before hanging up, but Minhyuk didn't care. Lee Jungshin didn't mean what he said, and will probably be okay again after a few buckets of chicken and beers.

He went to her house, stood at her front door, and took out a yellow envelope from her coat's pocket. 

Yellow for hope. 

Hope for a better tomorrow, hope for everyhting to be okay. 

And he put it inside her mail box. 

 

"Hello?"

"Soojung-ah, look inside your mail box."

"Huh? Why?"

"Just look, okay?"

 

She found his yellow envelope, holding it like a precious treasure, and went inside her bedroom. She locked her bedroom door, and sat at the floor.

And then she began to read. 

Soojungie, 

You must be surprised to receive this letter, right? I would want to see you today, but I thought about it again and I think it's best for you to spend some time with your sister, and I don't want to intrude, as much as I wanted to be by your side during this hard time. 

Soojungie, 

I know this year has been such a roller coaster ride for you, a lot of things has happened, both good and bad, and I truly meant it when I said I'm going to be by your side, I will hold your hand and be a shoulder you can lean on. 

Soojungie, 

Everyone has a decision which was hard to understand for some people, and I know it's hard for you to understand you sister at this moment, more so, because you have to work alongside the people she left behind, from this day forward. I know you'll be afraid, but please think of the people who believed in you; that Jung Soojung is a strong woman who would overcome any difficulties throwing at her. 

Soojungie, 

Once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain: when you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person you walked in. That's what this storm's about. 

Soojungie, 

I want you to still be the cheerful and kind Soojungie after the storm passed. Don't let the hard days fool you; then again it's a bad day, not a bad life. Look around you and you'll see the people who cared and loved you so much--your sister included, because distance would never decrease your sisterly bond-- and please be strong for them. You can cry and whine and hating life today, but you must move on tomorrow.

As I said before, you can always count on me. 

Ah, I think I talk too much and I'm getting tired of writing hehehe. See you soon? How about some pasta and wine? My treat. 

Missing you and always yours,

K

 

He sat silently in his car, feeling his heart beating so fast he could hear the drumming sound with his own ears. Am I too much? Did she hate it? He glanced at his phone on the dashboard. Still no call or message from her. 

She must hate it. 

Minhyuk hated himself for being too cheesy, for going all the way with his romantic actions. Who in the world wrote letters for their crush?? It's ing 2014 for God's sake!!

He hated himself all over again, knowing he'd embarassed himself by leaving that damned letter in her mailbox. He should've given her some space, some day off without seeing or hearing anything from him. It's called mildang and apparently Kang Minhyuk didn't know a thing about it. 

Where's your guy pride, Kang Minhyuk??!! he cursed himself. 

Minhyuk reminded himself to take it easy, over and over again. He already has a steady friendship with Jung Soojung, and one fatal move can ruin everything and they could go back to being nothing, again. And Minhyuk didn't want that. He'd rather die before----

His phone ringed, and his heart did a sommersault when he saw the caller ID: K.

"Hello?" he said slowly. 

 


Some part of Minhyuk's letter was quoted from Haruki Murakami's book: Kafka on the shore.