Good Doctor

TWICE Shorts - Mina x Momo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Requested

 

SYN: Momo's history is plauged by abuse and unfortunate events and it didnt get better with her autism. Luck seemed to change when she became a doctor in Park's A&E Hospital but little did she know she was in for a horrible surprise.

Based on an OST from Good doctor: (https://youtu.be/4_8wiMEJZqs)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's your fault!" The drunken man raised his belt and swung it against Momo's arm. Momo cried but didn't scream because she knew she would get it harder if her Father got angry. Momo had never had a normal Father. Even if her Sister, Hana, tells her about how their Father used to be a kind man, Momo has never seen it. Their Mother? She died while giving birth to Momo and that was why her Father turned to alcohol and abusing to drown his sorrow.

 

"APPA ANIYA!" Hana screamed once she got home from running errands. The girl was only 6 when she had to learn how to get food to support herself and her family because of their deadbeat Father. Unlike the man, Hana adores Momo. Hana dropped the groceries and immediately ran towards her younger sister and shielded her with her body before her Father actually kills her.

 

"Move away Hirai Hana!" Her Father bellowed, but she refused to budge. Seeing the latter so persistent, the drunken man threw his belt away and went back to his spot on the couch and started drinking. Hana immediately grabbed Momo and brought her into their shared room. It was always the same; Hana would always save the day. Her Father would always be bias towards her Sister and whenever she was around, the latter would feel safe. Hana took out the ointment and started applying it on her younger sister's bruised arm. Momo winced a little at the pain every now and then, which Hana giggled to because the latter was so cute.

 

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, Hana would bring Momo out. She had brought her out to avoid their Father and would always leave her at the playground with Mina, her childhood Friend and playmate. The Hirai siblings didn't go to school because her Father didn't want to invest in Momo while Hana dropped out to care for her.

 

"You are such a loser!" One kid said.

 

"I don't want to play with you!" Another yelled and shoved Momo on to the ground. Just then little Mina appeared and help Momo up before giving her icy cold glare at them. Those cowards obviously got scared and left Momo alone. It has always been like that, Hana would be the protector at home while Mina was the protector at the playground.

 

"Moguriii~" Mina turned towards her and hugged her but immediately retracted when Momo winced. The latter frowned, knowing that she got hurt again. Momo squatted down on the sand pit and started poking the ground with a stick while Mina lifted up her sleeve to see a huge bruise.

 

"You got punished again..." Mina said with a hint of sadness in her voice. Momo didn't answer, she just continued poking the sand.

 

"Is it painful?" Mina gently pressed on it, making Momo's facial muscles twitch and sending Mina into a fit of apology.

 

"You know what will make you feel better?" Mina gave Momo her gummy smile as she looked at her. Momo didn't say anything but the latter could see the curiosity in her eyes. Mina raised her thumb to her lips and kissed it before stretching it out to Momo's. The latter looked at her and the thumb in confusion before she followed suit.

 

"Now with the power of the two kisses... Pain, pain, go away!" Mina said as she pressed her thumb lightly against the bruise. Momo was really amused seeing Mina do that with so much focus; and somehow it seemed to work because the kid felt nothing at that moment. The latter knew that her "spell" had worked when she saw Momo smile; she always manages to make Momo smile.

 

Momo was 7 when everything went very wrong. Momo had gone out with Hana to get errands and bid Mina goodbye because their playtime is up. As she turned to face the road, her smile disappeared.

 

"UNNIE!!" Momo screamed as she ran towards her Sister. But it was too late. The car collided with her Sister and she passed away on the spot. Momo didn't cry, she bit the inside of her cheek to hold it in. Because to her, crying is bad; just like her Father said. Police were asking the businesses and witnesses and apprehended the criminal. A police officer walked towards what seems to be the victim's younger sibling and kneeled down to talk to her.

 

"Hey kiddo~ Are you okay?" The man in is early 20s asked as he reached out to pat Momo's head. But the latter flinched and bit harder on her cheek. Seeing the situation, little Mina stepped forward and shielded her.

 

The man chuckled at how cute the kids were and promised to take Momo home but again, Mina retaliated.

 

"No! Now that her Sister is gone, no one will protect her from her Father! She will get hurt again!" Mina yelled, trying to frighten the man away. The man knew that Mina meant.

 

"Alright, police oppa will take her to the doctor okay?"

 

Mina was skeptical at first but agreed when her Mother assured her that she can visit the latter. Momo said nothing; she just followed the guy into the police car. Tasting the tangy flavor of iron in was what kept Momo calm because she could concentrate on the physical pain than the mental pain

 

Momo put on her clothes after the check up. Throughout the whole thing, she was fiddling with the tools that the doctor had, making her smile; Momo was adorable when she was curious and there was no denying that.

 

"You learn how to use these fast~ smart girl~" the doctor said as she pat the latter on the head.

 

"Do you want to wait outside while to talk to police oppa?" The doctor asked in a gentle voice. But Momo shook her head; she wanted to play with the equipment. Momo of course understood what the two was talking about; mainly about the confirmation of abuse. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise because her Father was caught or maybe not because Momo was sent to an orphanage and never got to see Mina since then. The kids there were also horrible. Momo didn't understand a lot of things and would always have a blank look on her face. Her reaction was also late and she preferred being alone. The kids soon started teasing her and calling her a loser with autism and saying she had mental problems. Momo didn't fight back. She always calmed herself down with the tangy irony taste in .

 

The Teachers noticed this and tried to talk to Momo to no avail. So they resort to keeping an eye on her for the next few days before deciding to call a psychologist. Due to the stress, abuse (physically and verbally) and trauma from her past and present, the doctor deduced that she was indeed ploughed with a mental problem and by 13, she was sent to a specialized care center. When she was there, she realised how much more better the place was. No one judged each other And the care provided was amazing; the staff were caring and attentive. In addition, they take time to talk to the patients.

 

Momo was one of the more normal ones and was placed in the building where there were many others like her. The nurses knew that autistic people were special; the always believed in it. One day, one of them passed Momo a rubik’s cube and amazingly, she solved it as though she played the thing for years when it was only her first time. Sensing her ability, she knew how to cater to her. The next day, she brought Momo some puzzles, which the latter solved immediately. Surprised, the nurse ordered and IQ test for the latter and even the Doctors were shocked. She was a genius with a higher than average IQ score.

 

Something about her made that particular nurse not give up on her. Im Nayeon knew that Momo could be greater. She slowly found out that the girl took interest in the medical field. Just like that, she slowly gained Momo's trust and took her in like her own daughter. Nayeon knew what it was like to lose parents too because she was also one of them. Jeongyeon was also supportive of what her Wife was doing and invested in helping Momo get into medical school. As expected, she graduated as the valedictorian but rejected giving a speech because of reasons.

 

Park Jihyo was the chairperson of the Park's A&E Hospital and she heard about an autistic kid being the valedictorian in one of the top universities, majoring in pediatric care. She was intrigued and immediately demanded to get in contact with her. Just like that, Momo was given a chance to prove her worth over the span of 6 months as a resident doctor. Once the blonde moved into the residency, a familiar face immediately greeted her.

 

"Momo?" Mina tilted her head and cocked her brows in surprise. This was when Momo broke into a smile and the latter ran over to hug her.

 

"I thought I would never see you again..." Mina said as he hugged the latter tighter. "Where have you been...?"

 

But instead of keeping quiet, Momo finally talked.

 

MM: They took my to a white place. There was many Nurses and they are all good people~

 

Mina was so happy when Momo talked. She could also see the sparkle in her eyes and that made her happy because Momo is happy.

 

"Have you eaten yet?" Mina asked but Momo shook her head and pouted, making Mina giggle.

 

"Then let's go have a meal~" Mina said happily as she held the latter's hand and led her out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Momo was attached to a senior doctor, Dr. Ahn. At first he was quite skeptical of the latter doing well and voiced his concerns to Jihyo but she dismissed them.

 

Dr. Ahn: Chairperson! She is autistic! How can she perform a surgery!

 

JH: Are you questioning me? I wouldn't have hired those I hired if I didn't have a reason. I believe in the Doctors and I hope you will too.

 

Just then, Dr. Ahn's phone rang and he was called to a surgery; that meant working with Momo. He sighed and rushed out towards the analysis room to look at the CAT scan.

 

Dr. Ahn: What are the results?

 

"Bad. Fluid retention in the child's brain about 80cc of fluid."

 

Dr. Ahn: I don't think we should operate-

 

MM: No. We do it.

 

Dr. Ahn: What? Who are you to tell me what to do?

 

MM: If we don't operate, the child will die.

 

Dr. Ahn: that is what will happen if we do it!

 

MM: No you are wrong. Right now, you are giving the child a 100% chance of death. But if we operate, we will have about 60% success rate.

 

The doctor couldn't believe what he was hearing. The newbie was already going against him on the first day. Both Doctors had a strong contest before the doctor told the Nurses to prepare the surgery room. Unnoticed to them, Jihyo stood by the door way and smiled before walking away. Momo was doing well, like she expected.

 

"Ya, Guess what, the autistic girl was able to change Dr. Ahn's mind!" One nurse said.

 

"Wow, she must have a lot of guts to even-"

 

MI: What are you two talking about?

 

Both Nurses bowed and greeted her.

 

MI: She might have autism but autistic people are talented in their talents. And don't you all have something to do? If not, help me check on my patients.

 

The two bowed and apologized again before scrambling away to do their jobs.

 

True enough, the surgery was a success with minor complications that was easily resolved. The doctor didn't give a second look to Momo and left; he was too embarrassed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Momo was called for a gastro bypass surgery in an obese child. The risks were high because the child had pre-existing hear problems and also diabetes so they had to keep their cuts at a minimum.

 

Jihyo and Vice President, Minatozaki Sana, were monitoring the surgery. It was progressing well when the patient was met with sudden complications.

 

Dr. Ahn: What is happening?

 

"Patients blood pressure is low."

 

Dr. Ahn: Get more blood! We have to stop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JH: That doctor is so bounded by ego he didn't even see his fault.

 

SN: Stop talking to me and do something.

 

JH: Hold on. I want you to see this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MM: We can't. We have to find the source of the drop.

 

Dr. Ahn: what source? The patient has heart problems. His heart became too weak.

 

MM: That doesn't explain the blood loss doctor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN: She's observant. I know why you took her in now.

 

JH: Mhmm~

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MM: His spleen had ruptured.

 

And after Momo said that, she saw the doctor panic.

 

MM: You never done it have you? I can do it.

 

Dr. Ahn: No! What does an autistic kid like you know?!

 

JH: More than what you know. Let Dr. Hirai do it.

 

Dr. Ahn stepped back in frustration and Momo resolved it in the nick of time. The doctor wanted to step in to finish but Sana stopped him and told Momo to finish up while he shou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter