Heaven and Hell

Beautiful Disaster

Mike had always thought, when he finally settled down and have a child, he’d love not only the child, but of course, also the mother.

As he played racing cars with Max, he laughed and adored his son, but was also asking how come life turned out that way. How could he love his Max so much, but hated Sarah just as much?

He’d die for Max if necessary. He really would. He had never loved any other individual that much. His tiny figure, every cells of his being, every inch of him. He loved his son dearly.

And his mother.........

Sarah made him think dirty thoughts sometimes. Not ually related, but homicidal thoughts.

He hated how she’s trying to ruin his life so much since she was pregnant with Max but he couldn’t love her again.

He wished he’s evil enough to kill her sometimes.

It’s that bad.

All the time they spent together was washed away by how much she turned to be a stranger that he couldn’t even tolerate.

Too bad she’s Max’s mother, and he couldn’t take leaving his son completely.

I’m cursed to communicate with her my own life.

The bitter thought piled up in his lungs and made him wanted to crush things to the wall.

He played with Max then fed him dinner, then afterwards went to his little bed and sang all the children songs he knew. Once he slept, he gave the baby one last kiss before leaving the bedroom.

Sarah was watching TV in the sitting room, and he passed her, briefly saying, “He’s already sleeping. I’ll head out now”

“Wait” she stopped him, getting up from her couch.

Mike already knew a fight was boiling, and he wished none of that. However, he buried his hands in his hoodie’s pockets and prepared himself to listen, in case she’d say anything important.

“How the hell are you suddenly with that girl?”

“I have no time for another fight. I promised to pick her up. Bye” he said warily, walking to the front door.

Sarah ran to him, “Are you with her just to piss me off?”

“Not everything is about you”

“She’s not your type. She’s too prissy to be your type! Stop tricking me! And you better still pay your alimony on time no matter who you’ll fake to marry!”

He wished he could throw her to the floor and break her bones.

The effort of controlling his emotion made him felt an asthma attack coming up.

“The last girl I was with was so goddamn my type, and it ends up as the worst disaster in my life. Don’t ever speak rudely about Aom, she’s worth ten times more than you. She’s so good and I’m not going to let you hurt her, ever! Don’t you ever try to communicate with her privately, do you hear me??? You’ll only pollute her!!!”

Sarah gaped at him in utter disbelief.

It’s been so long since Mike spoke that much to her, even for a fight, and he just spoke so long to her to – what, defend that thin-like a board girl?

“What do you see in her???” she asked in full confusion mixed with anger.

“I see all the goodness that you never had”

With that, he quickly walked away and opened the front door.

Once in the elevator, he leaned to the wall to inhale and exhale.

He checked the time. It was a little after 10 PM.

And he texted Aom, “On the way to your cafe. You’ll finish at 11, right?”

“You don’t have to come here, Mike. It’s already late. Just go home and rest” Aom replied.

“No, I have something important to tell you. We need to talk. Is that ok?”

“Ok”

The first thing he reached when he sat inside the van again was his inhaler, which he forgot to take to Sarah’s place earlier.

“Is it that bad?” her nice manager, Jang Joob, asked him.

He nodded as he inhaled and exhaled.

“It makes you really compare the two girls, isn’t it?”

Mike couldn’t digest what she was saying at first, but grinned at her when he could breathe better.

“Are we going to drop you home now?”

“Nah. To Aom’s cafe”

Jang Joob was surprised, but listened to him anyway.

**********************************************

Aom was wiping tables when he arrived, and he waited until she was less busy, sitting on a chair. The floor was a bit wet after being mopped, and he’s grateful his shoes didn’t dirty it again.

Aom saw him and walked over.

“How did it go?”

“Bad. How’s your night?”

“So so”

“Is the cafe closed already? I want coffee if I still can”

“Don’t have coffee this late. It’ll be hard for you to sleep later”

“I really want it. A frappucino. Please?”

“No” she refused sternly, “But I’ll bring you something nice in exchange”

She returned with a mug of warm chocolate milk and cookies.

“.........I’m 26, Aom. Not 6”

“It’s my Mom’s “Never failed recipe” to make me and my sister feels better when we’re upset. Should work for you too. You better finish this all or I’ll scold you when I finish cleaning up with my friends”

She left without waiting for his reply and hoped he didn’t think she’s weird for suddenly acting so close with him. It’s just that he looked so sad and tired, much different than when she last saw him.

What could have happened?

Mike watched her retreated until long after she left him.

He stared at the mug of steaming chocolate and cookies.

She’s so good to him to the point that it hurt him........

He updated his Instagram with a picture of the drink and snack in front of him, with the caption, ““Thank you”” sounds so meaningless for someone like you, but still, I could only say thank you”. He tagged Aom, sure she wouldn’t see it until before she slept later.

************************************************

“We have to appear like a couple with a really good relationship, so just follow my lead. I heard many journalists would be there at the press conference tomorrow”

“Ok. I’ll watch my tongue and won’t say anything negative”

“Everything will be alright. The press conference is a positive thing”

Aom nodded.

“It will be at 11 AM, so you’ll be picked up at 9 AM for hair and make-up”

“Huh? Why would it be so long?”

“Because you’ll be in front of the cameras”

“But I’m not the idol here”

“It’s necessary. You’re already pretty, but you’ll look amazing after the stylist does her job”

Aom was taken aback by the compliment, and Mike cleared his throat, wondering why he’s suddenly nervous.

“So how did your resignation at the cafe go?” he asked, to divert the topic.

“It’s alright. I still have to work for a month also, though”

“That means, you still have to work until two weeks after we’re married?”

Aom nodded.

“Ok............”

They were silent after that.

Aom actually wanted to ask about his meeting with Sarah, but didn’t think it was her position to prey for answers.

“Why do people change so much?@ he suddenly asked, "Or do we never really know a person after all?”

She could easily sense that it’s about his ex, and answered him.

“Because life happens. And people react differently to everything. It’s just people’s characters. And maybe our different choices too.......”

“Would you hate her, Sushar? I mean, if you were me”

“If I were you.........I’d hate her too. I would still be only human. But I.........will try my best to not let my hatred drown me”

“I’m trying to do that too.......but it’s just so goddamn hard sometimes”

They were looking at each other then, and she was wrecking her brain and heart for what she could say to make him feel better, because she felt he was really waiting for it.

“Hang in there. Tough times can’t be forever, Mike. There must be better days. Be patient. Hold on for yourself, or at least for the people who care for you. If you break down.......you’ll break their hearts too”

He wanted to ask, “Do you care about me too?”, but decided against it.

They arrived at Aom’s house, and she left the car after Mike said “See you tomorrow”.

Jang Joob was at the van’s door, warmly wishing Aom a good rest, before turning her attention back to Mike.

“You could talk about the press conference on the phone, actually”

Mike narrowed his eyes, “Shut up”.

“You didn’t need to come all the way to her work, drove her home, then talk about it in soft voices as if you two were having bedroom talk”

“I’m so done with you, bye!” Mike said, trying to close the door. But she held the door with all her strength.

“Ying is right. You two are really romantic”

“Leave me alone!” he yelled, after mocking her by showing his tongue then he closed the van’s door.

He buried himself on the seat further then, looking out the window and trying not to grin so wide.

She made my night, which was , ended up well, he thought.

Aom Sushar is indeed magical.

*********************************************

Author’s Note:

Technically updated on another day. It’s 1.15 AM here.

Aom is shooting her new drama, and Mike seemed to be in Macau, hopefully for a holiday.

I hope these two people that I’m growing to love so much will have a great time.

You too, readers, hopefully.

Thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting.

PS: my twitter: @vanillasoul257