Are We or Aren't We?

Beautiful Disaster

OST: You and I by One Direction

I figured it out
I figured out from black and white
Seconds and hours
Maybe we had to take some time


I know how it goes
I know how it goes from wrong and right
Silence and sound 
Did they ever hold each other tight, like us? 

Did they ever fight, like us
?

[Chorus]

You and I
We don't want to be like them
We can make it 'till the end
Nothing can come between You and I

Not even the Gods above
Can separate the two of us
No, nothing can come between You and I

Oh, you and I
 

[Verse 2]

I figured it out
Saw the mistakes of up and down
Meet in the middle
There's always room for common ground



I see what it's like
I see what it's like for day and night

Never together
'Cause they see things in a different light, like us

But they never tried, like us

[Chorus]
You and I
We don't want to be like them
We can make it 'till the end
Nothing can come between You and I

Not even the 
Gods above
Can separate the 
Two of us


'Cause you and I!!!

[Chorus]
[All]
We don't want to be like them, 
We can make it 'till the end
Nothing can come between
You and I

Not even the 
Gods above
Can separate the 
Two of us

No, nothing can come between 
You and I
Oh, You and I
You and I

[Outro]
We can make it if we try
You and I
Oh 
You and I

 

*****************************************************************************************

“I know it’s awkward, but you better try to relax. You won't be disturbed here” Mike tried to assure her, walking to the kitchen as Aom hesitantly followed him.

“Come sit down” he invited, motioning for Aom to sit on one of the stools.

“What would you like to drink? Coffee, tea, juice?”

“Um.....”

“No answer means you’re ok with anything, so I’ll just give you the mango juice, since I want some too”

He brought two glasses and poured juice for them both, before sitting in front of her.

“I’m sorry for that –“ he lost his words as he moved his hand, “chaos”

“I guess that’s to be expected. I mean, you’re you”

“Yeah. I’m me and you’re you, and you never asked to be hunted by the press and my extreme fans like that”

She said nothing and tried the juice.

“We need to talk, don’t you think?”

“Yes”

“Ok. Here goes.......are we or are we not getting married?”

“It’s up to you”

“No, it’s not up to me, Aom, it’s up to you. My mom was the one who started this. If you want to walk out of this, I can just tell everyone we decided not to marry after all”

“Asking me so suddenly is a bit –“

“I know it’s sudden and crazy, but you and I, we need to decide what to do”

“I........I was thinking that when I marry, it’s going to be forever”

“I think so too”

“..........what kind of marriage would we have if we do marry?”

“I don’t intend to have a bad one”

She stared at him, speechless again.

“Although I’m clearly not the kind of guy you’d like to marry”

“Don’t speak like that........”

“No, seriously. If the situation is different, I’m sure you won’t even consider someone who has a son without ever legally marrying the mother”

“You already told me why you did it. If it’s a mistake, you didn’t do the mistake alone, she should also shoulder half of the blame”

His heart did a flip and he had to gulp his mango juice after hearing her said that. It sounded too good in his ears.

“Are we or are we not going to marry? We need to decide it right now so we can solve it”

“If I ever marry you......it would be because yes, I need money for my father’s medical bills. And because my mother asked me to”

“If I ever marry you, it would be because you’re such a good girl”

“You don’t know me yet, Mike”

“I know a good girl when I see one”

“.........Oh Mighty Buddha, this is so hard!” Aom exclaimed in frustration.

“Would you marry me?” he asked. Not in the proposal tone, but in the “Is it possible?” kinda tone.

“I don’t know. I really am not sure. Would you?”

“Marry you?”

“Yes?”

“Yes”

“You mean, yes, would would –“

“I’ll marry you”

She stared at him in a silent scream and internally freaked out, getting up from the stool and putting distance between them.

“Oh God”

She looked like she was going to hyperventilate, but not in a good way, so he didn’t run to her.

“You can’t decide it so easily”

“After what happened today, I think I better marry you”

“You can’t marry me just because you think you should!”

“I think I have to protect you”

“From what? The press? Your fans? Those are not enough reasons to marry!”

“I have enough reasons to marry someone else, but I don’t”

“But this is your life, Mike!”

“This is your life too”

“Will your career be ruined if you marry me?”

“Sushar,” he said sternly, “why do you keep thinking about me? I’m the one messing up your life here”

“No, it’s –“

“I think you’re that kind of person. Those who keep thinking of others first and hurt themselves. You work two jobs and pay for your household. You’re asked to marry me and you only think whether it’s bad for me. Think about yourself. I am at least wealthier than average guys who are not in the entertainment business. I have my own car and apartment. And my family is even better. It will give you a comfortable life at least, right? Do it for yourself”

Her knees felt weak and she walked to the nearest couch and sat down. She heard about fainting of happiness after being proposed before. But was it normal to faint of a panic attack after getting proposed.

“I think you’re freaking out” Mike said, approaching her.

In closer look, she was dead pale.

“You don’t want to marry me? I’ll talk to our mothers if that’s what you want”

Aom just stared at him without saying anything.

This is crazy. This is absurd! This can’t be real. Why on earth am I suddenly on the brink of marrying this guy?

“Give me one good reason. Give me one reason that is right for marrying you”

“I think I might be happy with you”

“.........really?” she asked in disbelief.

“I’m not such a bastard once you really know me”

He was already kneeling in front of her on the couch, not planning to be romantic, just wanting to console her.

“My family is so poor”

“I’ll make your family less poor”

“What if my family embarrass you?”

“They won’t”

“What if you end up hating me?”

“What if you already hate me?”

“I don’t”

“Really?”

She nodded.

“What do you want from me? What do you honestly want from me, Mike?”

It’s his turn to be speechless. After thinking for a while, he answered her bluntly.

“My mom would be so arrogant if she heard this, but she’s right. I realized it when she told me. Life has been really difficult and painful since Sarah told the world Maxwell is my son. If people say hatred can just be ignored, they lie. Hatred can drain your strength, Aom, day by day. My mom is right. Coming home to someone would be great. Having someone who will stay by my side and willing to understand and support me would be amazing. I didn’t know I need it so much until my Mom said it. That’s what I want from you”

Aom was leaning back at the couch, almost as if she was trying to stay as far away from him as possible.

“How about you, Sushar, what do you want?”

“.........what I want?”

“Yes. What do you want?”

“I want........to feel safe”

The five words must have taken a lot of her energy, since Aom’s eyes were covered with shiny tears after she said that.

“I haven’t felt that for quite a while”

It was painful to hear those words coming from her.

“I’ll protect you from now on, if you let me”

“..........can you?”

“Let me try”

Her tears fell to her cheeks and she wiped it.

“Sushar, are we or are we not getting married?” he repeated the question.

“We are”

“Are you sure?”

She nodded.

“My relationship with Sarah is really over, but I love my son so much. I need you to understand that”

“I do. And I have many bad sides –“

“You don’t”

“I get angry easily and I –“

“Don’t tell me. I’ll find out myself”

“But –“

“Look, I’ll marry you, ok? Good or bad, I’ll accept you”

“Don’t make this sound so simple Mike, we have to –“

“It is simple. We’re both unattached and we decided to get married. We have difficulties in our lives and we’re willing to cope with each other. What else do we need to be confused about”

“Fine. I have no more energy to argue with you”

He chuckled.

And then she smiled.

“God. This is crazy, isn’t it?”

“Very crazy” Aom agreed.

“We just met last night”

“And now we decided to marry”

“Are we really doing this?”

Aom nodded, still smiling.

“High five” he asked.

And they high-fived.

“Yikes! Why is your hand so tiny?”

“I’m just like that”

“I don’t mind. I like tiny girls”

She raised her eyebrows, “Are you flirting with me, Superstar?”

“I’m trying to. Is it working?”

“Not yet, but maybe it will, after some time”

He grinned.

“This calls for a celebration”

“What kind of celebration?”

“Delivery food kind of celebration. Lots of it”

“Nice. I just realized I didn’t have lunch”

“Italian, Japanese, Korean, Thai?”

“.........can you cook?”

“A little”

“Can we cook dinner?”

“..........why not?”

“Do you have ingredients?”

“Not really, but there’s a supermarket nearby. Wanna go there and buy some?”

“But what about those people?”

“..........We can’t hide forever”

“You’re right”

“Let’s go?”

“Yup”

As he watched Aom taking off her apron and folded it, he realized he’s happy. Happier than he was weeks or even days ago.

This girl is magic, he thought.

“What’s the best meal that you can cook?” Aom asked.

“Spaghetti. What’s yours?”

“Omelet rice”

He chuckled, “Let’s cook both”

“Ok”

“I have a request”

“Let’s hear it”

“Can you learn to cook?”

Aom turned to him with a surprised look.

“My Mom told me you’re not good in it” he said in an apologetic tone. “Can you learn to cook and make my favourite food sometime?”

“Ok”

He laughed, “Why are you so easy going?”

“Life is hard. There’s no need to make it harder”

“I like you” he said spontaneously.

She’s surprised (again), but didn’t comment to it, and they arrived at the lobby. They waited for a bit until the valet brought his car and he warned, “Ok. Get ready. Those monsters probably might attack again”.

“It’s alright. I won’t be as scared as I was”

They passed the glass doors and the cameras started flashing again. But it didn’t feel as menacing then.

She entered his car and they left to buy the ingredients for their dinner.

Life might not be easy the next day, but at least that night, they were happy.

*******************************************************

Author's Note:

I am completely addicted I couldn't stop myself.

Aomike is so addictive. Writing a story about them is even more so.