Can I Have This Dance?

Beautiful Disaster

OST: Can I Have This Dance by Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron

 

It never crossed his mind to marry someone after knowing her for merely three weeks, yet it’s happening. And instead of feeling reluctant, he was happy. Completely, undeniably, ridiculously happy.

When he finally saw Aom in her traditional golden wedding dress, he was sure he’s not marrying her just because his mother asked him to. He’s genuinely eager to do it from his own will.

Her hair was pulled halfway and was braided at the edge, making her looked elegant. The matching gold traditional jewelleries must be from his mother, he guessed.

His mother told him a few days before, that she would give Aom a set of gold jewels that her mother gave her for her second daughter. But too bad, she never had a second daughter. There’s only Ying. So she’s elated to give it to Aom.

His father, brothers and Ying were all proud and happy for him, smiles never leaving their faces.

He’s happy too, to see Aom’s parents looking great, even her father. He mostly just sat down, but it’s a privilege to see him there. Aung looked impressed too, never stopping to take their pictures.

It’s an early evening traditional wedding, where they began at 5 PM. They signed the wedding certificate, got blessed by a monk, kissed their parents’ feet, and put on a ring on each other’s hand.

**************************************************

Mike was really handsome in his traditional suit that matched her dress. He’s very handsome it made her slightly dizzy.

“Am I falling for him already?” she wondered.

As the wedding process went on, she felt a sense of surreal atmosphere in her heart and mind. Half of her hadn’t really believed it was really happening, but she went on with it, half nervous and half excited.

But when Mike told her, “You’re very beautiful” before he helped her knelt on the thick carpeted floor, everything seemed to zoom into focus.

When she bowed three times to him to respect him as her husband, she was doing it with all the sincerity her heart ever possessed.

***************************************************

Mike thought it was unfair, how Aom looked ten times prettier in a western-style wedding dress. It was a struggle to be coherent as they walked hand in hand around the room to greet their guests. Many of his friends from the entertainment business were there, actors, actresses and singers. They were all excited for him, and congratulated Aom for being so lucky, and saying how they enjoyed watching their reality show, We Got Married.

“Can we cancel the singing?” Aom suddenly asked, with those sweet pleading eyes that must have the power to make any men listened to her wishes.

“But we’ve practiced many times already!”

“I can’t sing, Mike. I’ll sound like a wheezing duck. Please cancel it”

“Nope. Just relax. It’s going to be fine. You’re not bad at yesterday’s rehearsal”

She sighed heavily once, before other guests greeted them and began shaking their hands.

A cloud over their rainbow happened as the arrival of Sarah with Maxwell.

The press eagerly snapped pictures of her, holding Maxwell. Mike could already guess the headlines of those articles, “Abandoned by Mike, but kind enough to attend the wedding”.

“Smile” Aom asked, “Smile and show that you’re happy. Don’t let her get to you”

She wore a y black dress, and Max was wearing a mini tuxedo.

“Baby Boy!” Mike greeted his son, reaching out his hands for him, as Sarah said, under her breath so no one would hear, “You didn’t invite me”

“You’ll only try to create scandal. Give me my son”

Sarah kept on holding Max before reaching her hand to Aom.

“Thank you for coming Sa—“

“May you two never be happy”

Aom’s smile instantly got wiped away from her face and Mike held her, as Sarah clicked her heels away, satisfied to be able to ruin the mood.

Thankfully, somebody played the intro of their song, and Mike told her, “Show time. Don’t mind Sarah. Forget her. Just think of us, ok?”

The song that Mike chose for their duet was “Can I Have This Dance” by Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron. He just found the song when he was searching for romantic songs to be played on their wedding party, and he liked the lyric and the tune.

He had begged, forced and threatened Aom to sing it with him. She agreed with difficulty, and they had practiced hard for three days. Well, mostly it was Aom who practiced hard, since she’s really not a singer and he had already nailed it since the first time he tried the song. 

“We’re going to sing together for the first time” Mike announced, followed by the cheers of everyone in the room.

“I really can’t sing, and I’m only listening to his wish, so I’m sorry if I don’t sound good” Aom added.

“I hope you’ll enjoy it” Mike grinned, before Aom started singing.

****************************************************************************

Take my hand, take a breath
Pull me close and take one step
Keep your eyes locked on mine
And let the music be your guide

Won't you promise me?
(Now won't you promise me,
That you'll never forget)
We'll keep dancing
(To keep dancing)
[ Both] Wherever we go next

It's like catching lightning, the chances of finding
Someone like you
It's one in a million, the chances of feeling
The way we do

*****************************************************************************

She did well, he thought, for a first timer.

When he held her hand again, it was really cold.

“Now, can I have this dance, Sushar?”

“Yes” she chuckled, as if they didn’t practiced ballroom dance religiously for three days too, as they were broadcasted through We Got Married all over the nation.

Of course, Mike chose “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri for their first dance.

He’s really smooth, and for the first few steps, Aom was worried about stepping on his feet or tripping then falling, but she got it together and managed to smile at him.

“Why didn’t our mothers arranged this marriage for us since we’re in high school?”

“Because high school students are too young to get married”

“Why didn’t they introduce us since then, at least? So we can be together since then, and none of my mistakes with Sarah need to happen”

“What’s done is done, and I think there’s no need to regret it now. Especially today. This is a day to be grateful”

“It’s the right day to fall for me, Sushar” he teased, as they twirled and he caught her waist again.

She’s breathless and smiling, and he loved her more that second. He’s sure it would multiply over the seconds they’re going to spend together.

He couldn’t read her feelings properly. She’s not as transparent as all the girls he met before. What he knew was only that she was getting more relaxed with him, compared to the first few days they had met.

“Almost” she answered, eyes shining and cheeks blushing.

“You almost fall for me?”

“Yes. I think it’s because you look like a Prince Charming today”

“Tsk. How rude to like me just because of my looks” he pretended to complain, before winking at her.

“That’s the first that people notice from you”

“And then?”

“People will know you’re funny and nice”

“Are you going to always speak this sweetly to me or is this just wedding day mode?”

Aom shrugged.

“Maybe the second”

“Hey!” he exclaimed loudly, making her laughed.

“I’m feeling bold tonight” Aom began, “So I’m going to ask, when you first saw me, what did you think of me?”

He thought for a few seconds before saying, “Super tiny”

Aom chuckled.

“And very kind. Such a filial daughter. Close to angelic”

“I’m not angelic when I’m angry, Mike”

“Well, maybe it hasn’t happened yet. But when you do, I’ll face it”

The first song was over, but the second song started then, and Mike just led her to start dancing again.

“And......you make me want to compare, between you.......and Sarah........How I wish I met you first.....and that Maxwell is my son with you, not with her.......”

“It’s impossible, because I’d never get pregnant before getting married. No matter what, I promised myself, sleeping with a man before I marry him is a big no. So even if our position is reversed, it won’t happen”

Mike’s heartbeat got faster just by hearing that.

“I know. That’s why, I wish I’d met you before I met her”

“............let’s not talk about her, please? You look sad and angry whenever you talk about her”

“Alright. It’s our day, not hers” he agreed, before the second song ended and they were called to cut their wedding cake.

*********************************************

After dinner with their families, throwing the bouquet to single friends and finally drinking champagne with all the guests that were still at the reception venue, Woody (who was the wedding MC), announced the party was over, and called everybody to hurry go home so Aomike (as they were called since their We Got Married Thailand became so famous) could start their honeymoon.

Aom announced she wanted to shower first and got rid of her make-up after they arrived in their suite, so Mike took off his tuxedo and shoes, then made himself comfortable on the couch, before he began reading the messages from his friends and fans, who were attacking him with congratulatory texts.

The suite was beautiful, as beautiful as a presidential suite designed for newlyweds should. The staff had burnt aromatic vanilla candles and put on a dozen little baskets of white and pink roses at every tables of the suite.

He then posted a picture of them both, which Jang Joob helped taking during their wedding earlier, of them dancing closely, smiling and looking at each other.

“Just married” he wrote for the caption, then he uploaded it.

“Mike?”

“.........yes?”

Aom reappeared from the bathroom, still wearing her wedding dress and looking exactly the same, except that she had took off her high heeled shoes and jewelleries.

“I thought you’re showering?”

“I want to. But..........there’s a problem”

“What is it?”

“........I can’t take off this dress alone. Uh........can you help me?”

His brain short-circuited for a few seconds, before he screamed at himself to stay sane.

“Ok” he agreed.

He took a clean bathrobe from the suite’s wardrobe first, then giving it to her.

“Here. Hold this”

Aom took it and he turned her around until her back was facing him.

Mike understood why Aom couldn’t take off the wedding dress. There’s no zipper on the back, but only clasps, hooked with a pearl button each.

“Wow. Ok. Be patient, this is going to be hard”

Though he tried seriously, he still failed many times, since the hooks and clasps were small. He managed to do it one by one, smelling her sweet jasmine perfume and seeing more and more of the white lace corset she’s wearing underneath to be revealed more and more.

Aom could hear him breathing harder, and was feeling choked and dizzy.

“I don’t think you can take this off alone either, Sushar” he said hoarsely, before he began unhooking the clasps on her corset too.

“Who chose your dress again? It’s not you, right?”

“Your mother” she answered.

“Right. Crazy mom”

Because his mom knew this would happen, that he would need to help her taking off everything, or else she’d never get out of the wedding dress.

They both stood still when he’s done.

Her back was bare and he could see her milky white skin. It felt so smooth on his fingertips earlier.

He was supposed to step back and let her shower, but when she said “Thank you” and moved away, he caught her waist.

“Do you expect me to not touch you at all in this situation?”

Aom bit her lip, holding her opened dress on her chest.

Mike backhugged her and kissed her bare shoulders.

“I’ve been dying to do this since I first saw you in this bare-shouldered dress”

He followed the line of her shoulders with his lips, before biting her there gently, and hard where her shoulder and neck met.

Aom gasped and trembled, and he changed to the spot sweetly.

“I was going to wait for a day or two........let you rest and all that. But you just have to ask me to take off your dress”

“...........you’re the only one in this room.........”

“Isn’t it funny? We never kissed before. We’re really going to be that couple that started kissing after marriage. That is so not me, but I’m somehow alright with this”

He pulled the bathrobe from her hands and put them on her shoulders.

His hands then softly pulled her wedding gown down to the floor, along with her corset, his hands wiping all over the length of her body, leaving trails of fire on her skin.

Aom quickly closed and tied her bathrobe, her hands already shaking.

“Come here. I’ll help taking off all those pins on your hair”

He held her hand and pulled her to the couch, where he carefully took off all the hairpins on her hair, continually asking, “Does it hurt?”.

Can’t he see that I can’t speak already, Aom thought.

“No”

“You have to wash your hair to remove all the hairspray, I guess” he suggested, smoothing down her locks.

“Thank you for marrying me, Sushar” he continued a few seconds later, “I promise I’ll make you happy”

“I promise to make you happy too......”

He pulled her hands until he was facing her again, and cupped her cheeks.

Aom thought she would feel afraid when his face came closer and closer, but she didn’t. Because his lips were soft on hers, and she was held like she would break if he grasped her too hard.

She tasted exactly like he imagined, sweet and fresh, yet so much better.

He gently her lower lip and them, feeling her letting out a shaky breath, and entered with his tongue.

Tasting her was like going into forbidden territory. He was unsure whether she would let him or not, and he was sure he never wanted to frighten her.

When he pulled away, she was still closing her eyes.

Her eyes then fluttered opened, and she struggled to focus on him.

“Mike.....”

“I love you” he blurted out, before he held her tighter, pushing himself on her, and kissed her deeper.

Aom closed her eyes and circled her hands around his neck, feeling like she’s drowning over the feel of him all over her. His lips and tongue that were kissing her as if he’s going to lose her, his hands that kept caressing her back, his weight that pressed her to lie down on the couch, and the smell of his perfume that intoxicated her.

She was no match to his demanding passion, but she bent and melted for him, giving in to his thirst and desires.

So the night went on.

*********************************************

Author's Note:

Happy Wedding Day, Aomike!

I hope you like their wedding day.

I wrote half of this chapter at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, waiting for my next flight to Incheon.