Sunshine vs Dark Clouds

Beautiful Disaster

Mike looked like a half asleep zombie when he woke up at 6 AM the next day.

“I already told you, you don’t have to wake up. I can go on my own”

“You can’t leave my place alone. Especially the first time the press see you here”

Her work at the magazine started at 8 AM, so she had to go to her house and change before that.

Aom wondered whether Mike was falling asleep in the elevator, and whether she had the strength to lift him up in case it really happened. He was wearing his black hoodie with jeans and sunglasses and he thankfully walked out when the lift stopped at the parking lot.

A white van was already waiting for them, with Mike’s manager opening the door.

“Aom, this is my manager. The company’s van better drive us around from now on. I don’t want to take any chances”

Aom smiled and shook the manager’s hand, before entering the car after Mike.

He slept again on the way to her house, and she had to shake his arm when they arrived.

“We’re here? Sorry, I can’t say hi now to your family. I’m dead sleepy. I’ll go to my boss this noon, and I’ll let you know what happened. You’ll give your resignation letters today?”

“Yes, I will”

“Ok” he patted her hand, “See you soon”.

A feeling of apprehension washed over her, as if she wasn’t sure what passed between them was real. She’s afraid that they would never see each other again.

“I’ll call you” Mike promised. “But after I go back home and sleep again until noon”

Aom told herself to not be ridiculous and left the car.

****************************************

Mike had the shock of his life when he entered his boss’s office and saw his mom talking so animatedly with P’Jeab.

Why on earth Mom is here???

“Mom? What are you doing here?”

The two women turned to him with a broad smile. “I’m only having a chat with your boss”

“About what?”

“About how none of this is your fault. I told P’Jeab that I’m the one who wanted the arranged marriage”

“Aom Sushar seems like a good girl. I checked her background and there’s nothing negative in her life, except financial problems. It will really clean your image if you marry her. I think it’s a good decision. I’ve thought about suggesting that to you in the past, marrying someone nice and change your image from a player to a nice guy, but I never did, since I know you get easily angry when I try to control your personal life”

Mike didn’t know what to say. He expected to be scolded horribly by his boss because he came to Aom’s cafe yesterday and told everyone she’s his fiancé. But now his boss was all smiles.

“P’Jeab said you don’t have overseas schedule until the end of next month” his mother started, “So I’ve picked a date for your wedding”

“Next month?”

“How about April 16?”

“That’s two weeks from now” he complained.

“Don’t worry. P’Jeab and I will arrange everything”

Mike believed, when two of the most powerful women in his life were smiling that brightly at him but with such menacing eyes that looked like they were silently saying “listen to us or else you’ll face our wrath”, he should just lock his lips and agreed to them.

Besides, he did plan to marry Aom next month.

“I think we need to make an official statement. Aom is starting to get rude comments in her social media. I want the company to release a statement that it’s true we’re getting married and when it will be. That will make people respect her more”

“What a gentleman” P’Jeab .

“I just don’t want people to blame her”

P’Jeab looked seriously at Mike in a calculating look.

“Do you really agree with this marriage, Mike? I expected to see you sulking, but you’re not”

“I – I – yes, I agree”

“Is she that nice?” his boss pressed.

“She’s........ahem. Yeah, she’s very nice”

“Nice enough to make you want to marry her in such a short time?”

“..........am I being interrogated?”

“Yes” P’Jeab grinned.

“She is a good girl. And.....you know how tired I am with everything about my personal life lately. So......yeah”

“So yeah what, Mike?”

“So yeah, marrying her might really make my life simpler”

“..........and happier too, hopefully”

“I hope so too” his mother added.

“Has Sarah said anything?”

“Not yet”

“Be ready. She’ll stir something. Tell Aom Sushar to be strong”

“She’s strong enough without me having to tell her things”

P’Jeab’s eyebrows were raised, “Wow, aren’t you sounding like a husband already! Alright. We’ll release the official statement today. Be a good boy. And I suggest to show the public that you really are a couple who love each other. Take her out to places people will see when you can, until you marry, so people will see that this is not a set-up marriage. Well, it is, but they don’t need to know. Beware, a press conference is coming too, and she has to be there too”

“.........can I just do the press conference alone? It might scare her”

P’Jeab asked his mother curiously, “How long have they known each other again?”

“They first met two days ago” his mom answered in a conspiratorial tone.

“Then why is he so protective? Are you sure they’re not close in high school?”

“Nope, they weren’t. Maybe it’s just love at the first sight”

Mike cleared his throat loudly to remind them that he’s there and he heard everything.

“Aom has to join the press conference, Mike. And she must appear like a girl who’s very in love with you. You should prepare her”

“Alright”

“You have no schedule today, right?”

He nodded.

“The press conference will be tomorrow and the official statement will be released today. Do you agree?”

“Ok”

“If there’s nothing else you want to say, you can leave already. Rest or relax, since you worked so hard the previous months”

He thanked her and asked whether his mom wanted to go with him too.

“Oh, no thanks, Mike. P’Jeab and I still need to talk about your wedding. Would Aom like to do a traditional wedding, you think?”

“She said she’ll let the parents arrange it”

“What a lovely girl she is!” his mother beamed. “I knew I choose the right girl for you. Now go, shoo! I and P’Jeab have a lot to talk about”

So he left the office, wondering why it went so easy, and worrying the hard times hadn’t come yet.

He texted Aom, saying, “It went well. Better than I thought”.

She replied when he was already back in the van.

“That’s good”

“My boss and mom want us to marry on April 16. Is that alright?”

“That’s two weeks from now”

“We already agreed to marry next month, right? Two weeks or four weeks seem not much different to me”

He was holding his phone, waiting for her to answer. It took her a while to type, “Ok”.

“Did you say you’re going to resign in your office?”

“I did. But I have to stay for another month since it’s the law”

“Will it be like that in the cafe too?”

“I guess so. I signed a contract there too”

“Ok”

And after he thought hard for a while, he finally informed her something that's been on his mind.

“Aom?”

“Yes?”

“Can you meet Sarah later?”

“Sarah? Maxwell’s mother?”

“Yes. It’s my schedule to see Max. I want to introduce you to her”

“Will it be a good idea, Mike?”

“We’re getting married. It’s a good idea to introduce you to my son’s mom, right?”

“..............alright”

“I’ll pick you up from your office. Where is it?”

Aom then texted him the address.

“She’ll annoy you, so after you see her, you can go to the cafe. The company’s van will drive you”

Aom gave him an “Ok” sticker.

Once he stopped texting, Mike wondered why everything was really so easy with Aom. Why could she bend to his wishes without any complains at all, while Sarah.........

He sighed at the thought of that woman, and texted their common friend, Kew, who he asked as the mediator when he communicated with Sarah.

“I’ll go to see Max this evening at 6 PM”

The reply made him angry.

“Sarah said he doesn’t want you to bring Max out of the house tonight. If you want to play with him, you must play at her place”

What a –

“But I want to have dinner with Max and my fiancé!”

“Please don’t be angry at me, Mike, I’m only telling you what Sarah said”

Though angry, he still texted, “Ok”.

“By the way, I congratulate you on your upcoming wedding, Mike. I hope you’ll be happy”

“Thank you” he texted, before throwing his phone to the next seat.

********************************************

“Maybe she wants to ask how you’re suddenly engaged” Aom said calmly when they met later after her work at the magazine finished for the day.

“She has no right to ask anything”

“...........she’s your son’s mother, Mike. She has a right”

“She hasn’t!!!” he yelled, making Aom flinched. “You just – you just don’t know how evil she could be, Aom”

“............don’t be angry when you meet your son. Be happy that you’re seeing him”

“I was going to let you play with him too, at my place. Have dinner together”

“There will be next time” she assured calmly.

“You’re right”

They arrived at Sarah’s apartment building and he had a request, “Please come upstairs with me. I need you two to at least shake hands”

Aom wished she had the strength to say, “I don’t want to be involved in you and your ex’s drama”, but she couldn’t, so she just followed him.

The woman who opened the door was holding a very cute and adorable baby boy, wearing tank top and shorts, showing off an ample portion of her s and all the curves that could be shown.

“Hi, Mike” Sarah smiled widely. “Max has been waiting for you”

Aom was smart enough to know that Sarah intended to crush her confidence by appearing in such a skimpy outfit, but what robbed her attention was how cold Mike was looking at her, and how he beamed like a small child seeing a present when Max reached out his little hands and he took him from Sarah and carried him in his arms.

went dry and her eyes turned hot.

I shouldn’t cry here, not in front of this woman. She’ll think I’m insecure and that means giving what she wants and –

“Max.........did you miss me?” Mike cooed. “I’ve missed you so much!” Mike kissed Max’s cheeks and said, “I brought you lots of presents, baby boy. We’re going to play all night, ok?”

When he turned to Aom, her face was wet with tears.

“Why are you crying?” he asked, aghast, reaching out to her cheek as he held his son with another hand, “Please Aom, don’t cry” he begged, as he wiped her tears quickly.

“He’s a very handsome baby” she said, while smiling.

I get when you said this baby boy makes everything worth it.

“No cay, no cay” Max said.

“See? Max told you not to cry”

“Thank you” Aom smiled to Max, before turning to Sarah and offering her hand.

The said woman was shocked to see the display of chemistry between Aom and Mike, but struggled to put an expressionless face.

“I’m Sushar Manaying or Aom”

If she didn’t reach Aom’s hand, she’d be the one who looked bad.

“I’m Sarah Casinghini” she informed, “Maxwell’s mother” she then added unnecessarily.

“Thank you for taking care of Maxwell so well” Aom said sincerely.

“You have no right to thank me”

Aom turned frozen with the sudden coldness and Mike pulled her hand away from Sarah “Ok, that’s enough shaking hands. I’ve told you she’s a difficult woman. And Sarah, she has all the right, since I’m going to marry her and she’ll be Maxwell’s Mom too”

“Maxwell can only have one mother” Sarah countered coldly, looking at Aom like she’s utterly disgusted with her.

“Ok. Sushar, you really don’t need to see this any longer. Take care on the way, I’ll see you later tonight” he said, kissing her cheek gently.

Aom was surprised with the kiss, but tried not to show it.

“Alright. I’ll go now. Have a great time, Mike. Bye, handsome baby”

Aom waved to Maxwell then turned again to Sarah.

“I’ll go first”

Sarah said nothing and only looked at her with hatred in her face.

Aom thought her effort in being polite ended there, so she smiled at Mike and moved away, as Sarah closed her front door with a challenging look, as if she's saying “I got your man now”.

As she went down the elevator, the way Mike looked kept on playing in her mind.

Especially when he first talked to his son.

She saw for herself then, that he loved the baby so much, and that Sarah was really a difficult part of his life that liked to give him troubles.

Funny, she wasn’t really annoyed with the way Sarah behaved. Honestly, she was even a little happy that her character wasn’t good.

Less reason for Mike to comeback to her.......

The thought froze her again, and she turned to the elevator walls, which was metal and reflected herself.

Why was I thinking like that???

Mike’s manager was waiting for her when she arrived at the parking lot again.

“It was bad, right?” the manager asked.

And Aom nodded.

“His private life has been really difficult recently”

“I know. I can see that now”

“I won’t say much, but Aom..........I wish you and Mike could really be happy. That’s the only thing I ever want for him”

“............I hope so too” Aom agreed, before entering the van and being driven to the cafe.

*******************************************

Author’s Note:

Hoping the scene with Mike and Max could gauge your emotion.

Thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting. I’m sorry for not directly editing before posting, and could only come later to do it. Hope my grammar mistakes are not so bad.

Have a great day!

PS: Song recs for this fic, please