1. The First Encounter

Gangsta's Paradise

 So there are a few things I think I should address before you start reading, first, Busan is not Busan in this fic. Busan is huge and can't be called a town really (not in this context) and there's a lot of districts and so on... So, for the purpose of this fic, Busan is just one town, not small but not big. And also, all the street names and such are taken from real streets in Seoul, and since I do not speak Korean fluently I thought that it would only be ridiculous if I started making up street names so I chose real ones for the simplicity. To be honest I don't really know where I'm going with this story so you'll probably be just as surprised as I will when you get a new chapter hehe.

Also, regarding the ages, there will be no romantic relationships between Hanbin/Chanwoo, Bobby/Chanwoo or Jinhwan/Chanwoo, just becuase he's a minor and the age difference is quite a bit. Although Junhwe is only two years older so.... we'll see how it turns out but I do want Junhwe/Chanwoo- Junchan to be endgame. Oh well, enough of me ranting. 

Enjoy! :)


 

 

The beeping of one of the set up screens in the livingroom alerts Yunhyeong who’s resting in one of the bean bangs with bubble tea in hand, he’s quickly up on his feet looking for the cause of the alarm. His brows furrow as he sees a boy, not old enough to be on his own that’s for sure, seemingly content with sitting down on a piece of cardboard next to a trashcan. He searches the boy, looking for anything that could be a threat- weapon, phone, ear-pice- he sees none.

 

He’s confused, beyond cunfused, the situation is just so remarkable. Never before has anyone walked into iKon’s territory so unfazed and just placed themselves at the very opening of their house. The front door of the most dangerous and influential gang in Busan.

Yunhyeong continues to sip at his bubble tea while studying the boy, his face doesn’t spark any kind of recognition and his behaviour doesn’t speak a certain gang’s language like the young and unexperienced ones usually do. He’s a John Doe and Yunhyeong is unsure of how to handle the situation, usually he’ll call for someone else to to the dirty work of ‘taking care’ of the person and ‘take care’ of the body. But this time he’s not so sure he wants to alert someone else.

 

The boy, who looks all kinds of worn out, looks harmless, not that it matters because Yunhyeong has been doing this ‘work’ for enough years to not be affected by pleading or tears or the innocent ‘facade’ the youngest ones always pull.

 

But he can’t help but feel perplexed by this whole ordeal because the boy looks genuinely tired and run down, almost like he doesn’t really care where he is and all he wants to do is go to sleep. Yunhyeong wonders how young the boy is, is there a parent looking for him? Or maybe a partner? He can’t be older than 20, not older than Junhwe, although perhaps Junhwe isn’t the best example of someone who looks their age.

 

The light from the screen illuminates his face as he stares intensely at it, eyes glued to the boy. He hates to admit that he’s a little worried, he doesn’t even know the boy and for all he knows the boy can be acting all vulnerable but actually be some high tech schooled ninja from EXO in Seoul sent here to assassinate all of iKon and claim their teritory as their own.

 

But he looks so small, so fragile, and Yunhyeong can’t help but feel like he should help him. He has about an hour before the others get back from their meeting with BTS on the outskirts of the town, he contemplates the consequences of going out and asking the boy who he is and what he’s doing there.

 

The other boy is at a disadvantage if Yunhyeong brings his gun, but, if he is one of EXO’s weird ninja kids- Yunhyeong is too tired to be rational, he grabs his gun from the counter like a student grabbing a morning apple for school and walks down the stairs. Their apartment is sort of a loft in an abandoned building next to basically nothing, so you can say that iKon’s living style isn’t even nearly as impressive as their way of ruling the town.

 

As he reaches the first door he puts his thumb on the scanner and it opens seconds later, the second door is the actual entrance to the building and Yunhyeong hesitates for just a few seconds- as soon as he steps out he’ll be out in the open, and even though he knows their alert system would have picked up somethinmg if anyone else was close he can’t help but feel slightly nervous at going out all by himself without anyone watching his back.

 

Usually when someone enters their territory they know who it is or why, and they’re prepared, with positions and different missions- you got his back and I got yours- kind of missions. Now, the situation is unexpected and Yunhyeong has no plan, he’s not even protected in any way, he thinks as he looks down on his choice of attire.

 

An old t-shirt that he’s pretty sure belongs to Donghyuk and a pair of jeans too ripped to even deserve to be called jeans anymore. Hanbin says it everyday and for once Yunhyeong agrees, he’s not the smartest out of them all.

 

As soon as he opens the door he catches movement in the corner of his eye and his gun is up in a practiced manner in record time (for the untrained eye but if Hanbin was there he would have scolded Yunhyeong for being too slow) and it’s pointed to the boy who on closer inspection is really, really tall.

 

The boy is frightened, Yunhyeong can tell, he would be too if he ever met a member of iKon, they’re just that awesome. “Who the are you?” Yunhyeong spits out more vicioulsy than he had intended, the boy visibly recoils and seems to shrink to a size not far from Jinhwan- translation: really ing small.

 

“Hey, I’m talking to you, do you know where you are, this is iKon’s territory. So who the are you?” Yunhyeong screams as he inches closer to the boy, gun held tightly and with a finger close to the trigger. He has no intentions of shooting him, he just wants the boy to be scared because hell he should be, and he should be overjoyed that Yunhyeong was the one left behind today. He would have been six feet under right now if Hanbin had found him first.

 

“I’m- my names’s Chanwoo. I didn’t mean to intrude, I’m sorry, I though this part was abandoned” he mumbles and his voice shakes and probably his whole body, he’s terrified. It’s not the first time he’s been so close to death but it has never been a gun threatening to kill him.

 

“Please don’t shoot me” he begs and bows his head, he really doesn’t want the man to shoot him, obviously, but he’ll rather the man shoots him while he can’t see. There’s a long pause where no one says anything and the only sound to be heard is the wind and a few rouge dogs barking at each other from a few streets away.

 

He hears something click and he instantly raises his arms to block the shot, that never comes. “How old are you?” Yunhyeong asks and Chanwoo raises his head to see the man stuffing his gun somewhere, probably his belt, Chanwoo has seen people do that in movies.

 

He sniffles slightly and wipes the tears from his eyes away, he didn’t let them fall but they were there, just waiting to well over, “I’m 17” he manages to say and Yunhyeong swears, “, you’re young.” Chanwoo nods but doesn’t say anything, what is he supposed to say? Thank you?

 

“So if you’re underage, what the are you doing out here? And on iKon’s territory” Yunhyeong looks really intimidating, almost as intimidating as he had looked while holding the gun and pointing it at Chanwoo. It makes Chanwoo shudder just at the bare though of someone being so powerful they don’t even need a weapon to show it. You can see it in the way their shoulders square and the way their eyes are trained specificly on their ‘target’, never letting their eyes wander.

Chanwoo doesn’t really know how to answer without sounding like a brat or spill his entire life’s story, “I- uh, needed to get away from home for a while” he settles for and Yunhyeong raises his brows in a look that says ‘that’s not good enough’, and Chanwoo realizes that this man probably thinks that he’s from another gang trying to stir up.

 

“I’m really sorry that I intruded, I swear I didn’t mean to. I just had to get away, so I ran” he looks down on the ground before him and refuses to meet Yunhyeong’s eyes, he shuffles his feet in the sand beneath him and grabs at the long sleeves of his sweatshirt. He hears the man’s footsteps coming closer and he freezes in his place, he awaits the punch or the kick he’s sure he’ll get but nothing happens. The shoes of the man stops about a meter away from his own and hold their ground. They don’t shake like Chanwoo is sure his own are, and they don’t seem to be leaning back, ready to run away.

 

“Where do you live” the man asks but it doesn’t sound like a question where you get to decline, it’s an order Chanwoo realizes. He looks up at the man who is now standing close enough for Chanwoo to study him, he’s attractive, is the first thing that crosses his mind and he immediately averts his eyes down again.

 

He’s pretty sure his cheeks are the color of a tomato at the moment which is so not ideal for the situation.

 

“Chungmuro, ehh, same building as the Yong pharmacy. My father owns it” he says and Yunhyeong doesn’t miss the way he flinches as soon as he mentions his dad, he decides not to ask becuase 1: he doesn’t care, and 2: he doesn’t want to hear some teen’s sob story (3, he kind of already knows).

 

“That’s far away” he says and Chanwoo nods even though he knows the man isn’t really talking to him, he seems to be contemplating something of his own, Chanwoo can basically see the wheels turning over inside his head. “I can’t let you go home alone” he says suddenly and Chanwoo isn’t sure if it’s because this man cares or if it’s for no other reason than him not wanting Chanwoo to run to some gang on his way and tell them everything he saw over at iKon’s lair, even though he hasn’t actually seen that much.

 

Yunhyeong drags a hand through his hair and sighs like he has the whole world ontop of his shoulders, Chanwoo isn’t sure if he’s free to speak without the elder addressing him but he decides that maybe he should try, “you don’t have to walk with me, I can make it, I made it here didn’t I.”

 

He gets no answer other than, “let’s go” the man says and grabs a hold of Chanwoo’s hand as he drags him out of the valley and out on the street that is so empty you wouldn’t even believe it was still part of a populated city. Yunhyeong drops Chanwoo’s hand and digs for his keys in one of his pockets, he’s really not dressed for driving across town where he can meet up with a lot of gangs that really dislike iKon but there’s not much he can do about it.

 

The rest of his gang will be home in half an hour or so and he has a kid on his hands that he just can’t leave out on the street, he doesn’t want the kid ending up with some other gang or have him go to the police for being held at gunpoint. “Get in” he mutters and Chanwoo quickly follows the order, the guy still has his gun and Chanwoo isn’t gonna take any chances. He gets seated in the front seat as the man quickly climbs in the driver seat and starts the engine, the car is exactly as Chanwoo has imagined every gangster’s car to look like. It’s black and sleek, the interior screams ‘don’t mess with me’ and it smells like alcohol and smoke. It’s nice though, because it looks and smells exactly like what it is, while his father’s family car screams ‘I never speed and always make sure to listen to kid friendly songs’ while it smells like an abusive drunk lives in it. Which also is true.

 

The ride is quite awkward since there isn’t any music and neither of the boys wants to start a conversation, Yunhyeong feels a bit awkward over the age difference and Chanwoo feels a bit awkward trying to start a conversation with someone who only a while ago had a gun pointed at him. Fortunetely it doesn’t take that long and within 20 minutes they’re outside the pharmacy and Chanwoo is unbuckling his seatbelt, “thank you for the ride” he mumbles as he gets out of the car. The street is quiet and there doesn’t seem to be anyone out, Chanwoo quickly thanks his luck. After living in the same area for most of his life the neighbors know him and him showing up close to midnight in a stranger’s car wouldn’t give him or his father a good reputation.

 

Yunhyeong nods in his directions but doesn’t say anything, and just as Chanwoo is ready to turn around Yunhyeong’s voice interrupts, “next time he hits you, you know where to go” and then he drives away. Leaving Chanwoo standing dumbfounded outside the building he dreads to enter. How does the man know? He doesn’t even know the man’s name or age, or anything. Only that he’s part of a gang and has a gun. Chanwoo groans because his day is ed up, and so is his life.

 

Chanwoo is really bad at making friends.

 


 

I think I'll keep most chapters at this lenght just to make it simple for myself, longer ones take longer to write (obviously, hehe) and shorter ones are quite boring (in my opinion) becuase you can't really make a lot happen. So... Please look forward to the next chapter! :)

Thank you for reading! Please comment what you think of the first chapter! <3