Prelude

WHITE CHRISTMAS

Ten and Dahyun sat side by side on the bench, a silence sprang up between them again. But unlike before, this time it felt uncomfortable. God only knew how uncomfortable it was.

The air was starting to get chillier, and crept up Ten’s spine. The freezing wind biting through his wet clothes.

“Damn,” Ten muttered under his breath as he hunched his shoulders against the night chill. Ten was wet and cold, if he stayed for more than a few moments he would begin to trembling something fierce. His clothes were plastered to his body, his hair sticking to his face, so he shaked his messy hair out of his eyes. He wrapped his arms around his chest, vainly trying to ease the coldness.

Ten mentally chided himself for allowing his mind to drift back to the reality again. There were too much things coming in his brain and it just froze from the multitude of unprocessed thoughts, and still he was nowhere near ending his deliberation. His family and friends have always known Ten as a straight-forward person. If he wanted to laugh, he will. If he wanted to cry, he will. And if he want to say that ‘I like you’, he will. He can’t keep them inside of him. He was not a trash bin of emotions waiting to overflow with unrequited love and unsaid thoughts. But right now, he was still trying to establish was whether he should tell Dahyun about his thoughts or not. The only thing that held him back was; the thought of her reaction.

Meanwhile, Dahyun found herself speechless, she sat up still in a daze and with clumsy hands tidied her clothing and hair while trying to comprehend everything that had happened during the last hour. How could a planned evening of grocery shopping end with her being kissed, teased mercilessly, seduced and she nearly made out with Ten at his apartment rooftop. Dahyun blushed to think of how her body had reacted to Ten. And as innocent as she was, or had been, it was clear that she seemed to be experienced in such matters. Had it simply been Ten’s expertise that had made her behave in such a manner? Or because she had felt an attraction towards him that she had been unaware of? And when he had first kissed her she had been furious but also curiously excited. Ten surely was an attractive young man, with broad shoulders and slender hips that led onto hard thighs. Dahyun didn’t want this night to end. But she was unsure about what steps to take next. A sudden thought struck her, what if Ten lost interest of her? Worried that perhaps she was now regretting. ‘I would advise myself to hold my tongue before I say something I regret.’ Dahyun thought as she clenched her fists.

Suddenly, her fists unclenched as Dahyun felt Ten’s cold hand touch hers, it guided her eyes back to face Ten. His countenance is calm, his smile is ubiquitous, and his eyes are intent. Dahyun smiled in return, and reached out, ruffling his already mussed hair. She was relieved to see that she need not spend another minute in awkward silence with Ten sitting beside her. And then, Ten’s eyes were hard, his face otherwise blank, he looked away, unexpectedly he can’t look at her sunshine smile right now, it was just too much for him to handle. It seemed Dahyun was affecting him far more than he would like to admit.

Ten haphazardly knotted their fingers together as he tried to twist and squeeze his feelings out, taking a deep breath as eerie calm washed over him. Without no more hesitation, he opened his mouth and said, “Dahyunnie, I’ve always admired you... I really like you...,” Ten softly sighed as he lifted her hand to his lips, leaned in and kissed her knuckles solemnly. Dahyun was stunned, feeling overwhelmed and excited at Ten’s words, she took a deep breath, tucked her hair behind her ear, her smile was instant. Ten’s face close to where her hand rested and leant forward to kiss her hand again, then looking up at her, he turned his attention back to her.

“My feelings for you just morphed into something else. I even love you. Everyday my feelings for you grow stronger! No one else has my heart! Just you. And chocolate. But most of the time; only you.” He said in a matter of solid voice in complete control of the situation, he tried to appear calm and firm. But of course, that barely ever worked with her. Dahyun snorted, she didn’t know why she found it funny to hear his words, how it had said that wasn’t how a person expressed their love. Dahyun wanted to tell him that she loved him in return.

Ten wrapped his cold fingers around her hand and squeezed it lightly. He gazed at her with dilated eyes. There was no escape for Dahyun in that gaze.

“But___” Ten was not able to finish his sentence. He combed his hair with his free hand. His intense dark brown eyes still focused on her. Dahyun’s eyes scanned him. Ten smiled slightly, but then, the smile faded momentarily, his eyes became blank for a couple of seconds. His brain was trying to analyze everything. In that small fraction of time, Dahyun felt everything from happiness, to longing, to fear. And she knew that Ten could read just as much in her eyes, as she was to his.

“I’m really sorry, I let my hormones take control,” he trailed off, softly. Dahyun stared at him, her mind was completely dazed. Dahyun seemed as if she was about to speak ‘Does it stop there?’

“And it wasn't right.” He continued. A frown appeared on Dahyun’s beautiful face. Still, she hadn't missed the guilty and sad look on his face, and she wondered what it was all about.

“That is okay, though you seem to have changed your mind in that regard.” She said.

“It was me struggling to control myself around you. But, that is not what I meant,”

"What do you mean then?" She asked faintly, the look of incredulity did not go unnoticed by Ten.

“Dahyunnie,” he paused. “No matter how much I could wish otherwise...,” He took his time to straightening his back. “...I’m still Yoohyun’s boyfriend, your sister. I’m really sorry. I know, this is all my fault.” Ten whispered, sad and guilty, his voice holding more sympathy and pain than he'd known a voice could hold. His words growled into her ear. Dahyun considered Ten's words carefully, trying to find an easy way to say what she knew she had to say.

"And then?" Dahyun’s face pensive. Ten wondered silently, it was like you could drop a bomb on him and he wouldn’t even notice. He didn’t want this to carry on forever. What was he thinking? Yoohyun was Dahyun’s sister, her siblings, not just some random girl.

Dahyun reached over and pinched one of Ten's thighs as hard as she could.

"This is no time for self pity, oppa." Dahyun’s words reassured, and Ten finally glanced up. “I couldn't let you suffer alone for something that was really our fault," Dahyun insisted. “We're both at fault, so stop beating yourself up." Dahyun moved carefully, leaning over him. "Let go of the guilt, We can help each other get through this!" She whispered before pressing a petal-soft kiss to the unhappy line of the Ten’s lips.

“No...,” He said as she shook his head and looked furious again. Ten did not like the considering way that Dahyun was looking at him, as if trying to figure out something very serious and she most likely would not like the results.

Dahyun frowned. "No? Why?"

Ten's silence made something in Dahyun snap, it just sent her teetering near the edge of her patience, and she slammed her fists on the bench, yelling.

“... So, all this time you got amnesia and suddenly all memories came back now?” The irritation was clear in her voice. Ten could barely bring himself to meet Dahyun’s accusing gaze. Ten sighed as narrowed his eyes at her.

“Aside from obvious reasons, I wanted to somehow redeem myself or I would drop into an abyss of self-hate. So, I think, it would just be better if we could stop fooling around earlier, and forget everything ever happened, and let our memories rot with time.” Ten looked at her with a sad eyes, the further the weaker he became. He had explanation for this. Ten saw that Dahyun’s cheeks were crimson and she appeared too shocked at his words to react.

Dahyun felt her world shrink into a tiny black box, she sat frozen, scarcely daring to believe what she had heard. Another wave of pain pounded against her heart, threatening to crack and break it. She felt her chest was heaving, her other hand held over her heart, feeling as if it would leap out of her body. Her thought, her emotions and feelings jumped to show in her eyes, and she gasped. She hoped this was a dream, the same nightmare that has haunted her for these last several months, but indeed any of this was actually real.

Taking a deep breath and in attempt to lighten the situastion, Dahyun let out a nervous laugh.

“Be serious,” Dahyun said as she hoped he wasn't serious, or she felt like a fool. However, she knew they could not freely enjoy their relationship, she knew that they could not push beyond these boundaries, because no matter their relationship was well kept but in the end it would fall apart. The thought of never having him snapped the little sanity she had left after months of longing for him.

Ten’s mouth opening but little to no words were escaping from it. Not trusting his voice he just nods. Dahyun knew the answer already, she need not wait.

“I can’t believe you’ve fooled me! You loved me? No, you don’t. How foolish I was to believe that!” Her voice was harsh, she was frustrated and unbelievably angry at that point and that negative energy was pointing at one person; Ten.

“I do love you!” He roared.

“No. You don’t!” Dahyun said, in a voice full of anger declared. Ten grabbed her shoulders brought her into a hard kiss. He pulled back from her shocked face and told her,

“Yes, I was very foolish to not instantly throw myself at your feet, but I soon realised how special you are for me, I thank God every day that we met. You make me so happy, Dahyun. I love you, I really do.”

Ten pulled her closer and forced his lips against hers, again. Dahyun tried to push him away, but he was so strong and she felt so overwhelmed by the situation. Ten's grip was softened on her shoulders as he began to kiss her slowly. Dahyun wanted to grab his hand away from her but at the same time she wanted him to continue whatever the hell he does. Not of her own volition, Dahyun moved forward, her lips immediately surrendered underneath his. Her overloaded senses taking over her controls, her anger was melting away fast as ice would in a desert.

Ten breaking the kiss, looked up at her with a look of anguish she had never seen on his face before. In his eyes, there was the look of an old soul who'd been put through a great pain in his lifetime. The look made Dahyun sad, somehow. She couldn’t even begin to guess what’s going through his mind right now.

"What are you up to?" Dahyun blurted out. Ten eyed her rather grimly, having come to a decision.

"As much as I wanted to disagree, we had no choice." He said slowly, frowning, fighting the misery. Dahyun practically crawled at his words and her jaw dropped, she felt herself growing more angry every moment, yet she tried to the utmost to speak with composure when she said,

“What the hell did that mean?”

Ten was very aware that he had just stopped himself talking, and felt a deep sadness. Because he knew, Dahyun didn't want to hear it though, or acknowledge it. Obviously, it had not been what she wanted to hear.

“Just think about Yoohyun." He mumbled. Ten not even realized what he was saying to her until the word was crossing his lips.

Dahyun’s heart felt like it was about to jump out of her chest. Just like that, the boiling pit of rage in her gut erupted.

“How dare you tried to mess with me? You hurt me, then kiss me, then hurt me again. You are so ing selfish!! What’s your deal!?”

Ten was correct in thinking that she could never like his words. Why did it even matter, if this was their last night together? Ten said nothing, and she continued,

“It is a joke! Am I a joke for you? How about me? Didn’t you care? You don’t think about me?” Dahyun was practically radiating anger, and confusion.

“You were all of whom I cared!!” Ten cut Dahyun off, was looking straight to her eyes.

"Do you?" She was beginning to have doubt. Ten reached out, kissed Dahyun’s lips, and embraced her hard. His lips lingered far. How sweet his kiss was.

"Yes. I say it once and I'll say it again, you are all I ever cared for." He whispered and then silence surrounded them. After his words for brief moments Dahyun was pissed again, she wanted nothing else but to shout, all rational thoughts melted away. She is not quite sure if it will be coming back anytime soon.

“But, you love her too, don’t you?” Dahyun asked as she pushed him away.

“GOD DAMN IT! My feelings belongs to you! And, it’s not about that!” He shouted.

With Ten, shouting at her. Accussed her of things she didn’t understand. She was usually a laid-back person and was the last to shout or get angry. But at that moment, her patience went from full to empty in one snap.

“BUT YOU CHOOSE HER OVER ME!” Dahyun placed her hands on his face. Her body started shaking and the sobs that she tried to stop started to slip.

“No. Dahyun, please. I wish I had chosen you instead of her, but everything wouldn't be the same if I had. You understand? This was not a thing to gamble on.”

Dahyun wasn't sure what he really meant between those words. She was still irritated at how he yelled at her a while ago. Ten reached out and tried to pull away one of Dahyun’s hands away from her face. There was resistance in the beginning but she eventually gave up and took both her hands off. She has stopped sobbing though the redness and the swelling of her eyes were dead giveaways. Dahyun knew that if she met his eyes, she'd see old guilt glowing dully, stamped on the Ten’s irises. It was an issue between them, that guilt, something they'd both been dealing with for months. Dahyun looked away, still a bit shaky.

“I know, you’re just playing at me! You’re full of !” Dahyun yelled, distressed. She was drawing in breath a bit faster as she tried to push down the tears that are threatening to explode again.

Ten was utterly infuriated at her words until he saw the tears rising into her beautiful eyes, then he hissed in frustration. The air about them became thick. Dahyun shook her head in disbelief, what they had experienced between them had obviously meant nothing to him. Her heart felt like it was clenched in a vice. She glared at him, clenched her fist, her knuckles seemed to whiten. Ten reached out to caress her hair. Dahyun was bewildered as she felt the caress and she shivered.

“DON’T TOUCH ME!!” She growled at him, eyes flashing.

“Please, Dahyun, we’ve started so well. We could still be friends,” Pleaded Ten. He realized that staying angry was pointless, and he wanted to end the fight quickly. The more they healed before separated, the better off they would be.

Dahyun began to tremble as she reached for her cellphone. Dialing a number, she fought to get her emotions under control. Dahyun inhaled deeply, and the second Ten about to opened his mouth, Sana picked up her phone.

“Dahyunnie!!” Sana said happily. “Tenhyun mission cleared, I have texted Yoohyun unnie that we were working on our school project!”

Dahyun gave Ten a disgust look that clearly said ‘Shut the hell up,’ Dahyun turned away and spoke into her phone. “Sana, can you come get me in Yeongdeungpo?”

“What?” Sana asked, confused. “What are you doing there?”

“I’m needing a ride home. Can you come get me?” Dahyun asked, a pleading tone in her voice. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Ten cross his arms, noticing he looked a little upset.

“I’m actually at Yuta senpai’s place. And we’re about to watch a movie,” Sana said. “Is everything ok? Do you really need me to come?”

“Never mind, I’ll call someone else. I’ll tell you about it later, ok?” Dahyun answered, sighing deeply, still fighting the urge not to cry. It was taking all her strength not to let her voice crack.

“Oh, ok. I’ll talk to you later then,” Sana replied, hanging up the phone. Before Dahyun could even close her phone, her hands were yanked out by a very pissed off looking Ten.

“I've got to get you home." Ten said. Dahyun snorted.

"Do you have to?!!" She asked sharply, and was confronted with his shimmering eyes, mere inches from her own. Dahyun tried to wiggle out of his grasp, but he only tightened his grip on her wrist.

“LET ME GO!” She yelled. All she wanted to do was curl up in a ball and disappear or she had made a complete and utter fool of herself. Ten did not budge as he stared straight into her eyes, knowing fully well that there were words hidden behind them, probably some questions that ran inside her head.

“Are you going to let me explain?” Ten said, voice a bit weak.

“If I broke up with Yoohyun, and going to you, I could careless. But how about you? She is your sister, your siblings, your unnie. This can really hurt her and your relationship with her.” He explained. That word still left a bitter on his tongue. It rolls so easily but it persistent and stings on its way out.

“This is all screwed up! I never thought it would get like this. Not like this!! It shouldn’t have gone on like this. DAMN!!!” Dahyun was so lost in her own self admonishment, she didn’t hear his explanation though.

======================================================================================

 

======================================================================================

Well, this is Kim Yoohyun, 96 liner, a college student of Hongik University majoring Design and Arts.

She is Kim Dahyun’s older sister, and apparently Ten’s girlfriend.

Nah, she says, “Hi~”

**Hi, guys. I'm happy that I'm finally introduce Yoohyun into the story (or I already did? Yups, it was Yoonhyun before, until I noticed her name was actually Yoohyun. Lmao).

I’m gonna post 2 chapters, today, just because~

Feedback would be amazing. Thoughts, opinions, constructive criticism, questions, comments, anything at all, let me know.

-Airin-