New Chapter

WHITE CHRISTMAS

It was like a switch had been thrown.

The bedroom became eerily silent except for the heavy steps of Jihyo’s feet as she gently push open the door. Being in a state of sheer confusion, she didn't really have time to dwell on the implications of what Ten and Dahyun had just done.

Dahyun waved feebly and inclined her head slightly in thanks to Jihyo. It was the most she could do. She loosened Ten’s hug as her daze began to thin out. Ten remained at his position.

As Jihyo approached, her hand reached out, offering up the car key. “This is your car key from Yoohyun unnie...,”

Ten pocketed his car key, the car that he had been kind enough to allow Yoohyun to borrow since Valentine’s day.

“Okay.” Jihyo started to converse quietly. Still a little shocked at what had just happened. “What the hell.” Jihyo muttered as she dropped her gaze to the tissues in the bed. She recognized it instantly. The color drained from her face. “Oh, God,” Jihyo in a sharp breath as she realized what it was, it did not take a genius to realize what that something was. She disapproved, but she also understood.

Jihyo reached the window sill, pushed one side slightly. The window was open, with the curtains drawn. Soft pink, gauzy curtains hung loosely from the valance over the window, and billowed gently with the soft spring breeze. Jihyo turned around, tossed Dahyun a glare. In response, Dahyun gave her patent innocent look.

“You have some explaining to do,” Jihyo hissed as Ten crumpled the tissues, reaching out only to throw those tissues in with the other discarded items into the trash bin located underneath the desk.

“You’d better start talking, Kim Dahyun. Now!” Jihyo demand angrily. Dahyun had to bite her lip to keep back the automatic reply of, “We’ve been together.”

“I know, I asked you several times before if you were in a relationship with anyone, and you told me no. If you were let me know, so I would make sure that precautions were put into place to assure that this situation did not occur!”

“I know Jihyo, I thought I can handle it!” Dahyun said.

Jihyo turned her glare to Ten, “This is your fault!”

“Yes, this is my fault, I should not have encouraged a relationship between us at the first place.” Ten nodded. “However, Jihyo, you have no input about it.”

“Dahyun is my best friend!” Jihyo snarled. “I have every right to give input.”

“But our relationship began because I wanted it, I wanted him!” Dahyun snapped.

Dahyun and Ten might get along, Jihyo definitely did not approve of Ten as a partner for her best friend. But Jihyo was not stupid, she saw and knew how the two of them meant to each other. She might not like their relationship, but she was going to stand in the way of her best friend’s happiness. If it meant allowing Dahyun to continue dating Ten in order to maintain her happiness, then so be it.

“How was she?” Ten asked.

Shrugging, Jihyo crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the desk. “Well, her first instinct was to tell you both to go to hell, but then she said she wanted you guys to off and leave her alone, so that you weren’t to go anywhere near her.” Jihyo explained, she had a headache that aspirin did not seem capable of curing. Damned those brat. Like unnie like dongsaeng apparently.

“Oh, no,” Ten gasped. “She didn’t! She can’t force Dahyun out of her own house.” Ten would never forgive himself if something were to happen to this family.

“She did. She just needs some space and time. I don’t get it, but yeah that was what she wanted.” Was what Jihyo said. Suddenly, Dahyun did not feel so well. Of course, Dahyun had been prepared for a little yelling and a little screaming, but she never expected to be kicked out of her own house.

“I need to speak to her.” Ten said.

Dahyun blinked. It took her brain several moments to process what it was she just heard. “With Yoohyun unnie?” she asked, Ten nodded.

“I’m not asking you to,” Dahyun told her beloved. After the truth was revealed, there was no question or doubt in Dahyun’s mind that her unnie would not forgive her. Completely. But Dahyun would walk out her home without so much a backward glance. And, there was no way she would be able to blame Yoohyun if that turned out to be this case. Yoohyun had not taken the news too well and it has nothing to do with it because the truth was it did. Cruel.

Ten ground out, “It is my responsibility to take care of you.”

Flipping onto his back, Dahyun wrapped her arms tightly around Ten, rubbed her face in his back. “Just please, not yet, I promise I will explain to her, later.”

“Dahyun could stay at your apartment for awhile.” Jihyo shared her idea and not taking ‘no’ for answer.

After a few minutes of talking, Ten finally gave up. He was on his way to the kitchen to take his spectacles, his belongings. He stuffed some kimchijeon in lunch box, and filled water bottle with Thai iced tea and shoved them into his backpack. Shouldering his bag, he reached besides him and popped his cap on his head. Meanwhile, Dahyun strode into the dressing room to the walk-in closet, and started to pack one suitcase of clothes and toiletries.

Jihyo stepped into the closet, she found Dahyun sitting on the floor with a school uniform in her lap. “Dahyunnie..,” She called softly, Dahyun looked up. Jihyo felt a rush of sympathy for her, what a terribly day she must have had. Jihyo crouched down besides her, draping an arm around her. Jihyo planted a kiss on the side of Dahyun’s temple.

“Well, unfortunately, there’s not much we can do right now. Unless, that is, she tried something, which, God forbid, she wouldn’t though, but if it came to that and she did try something. I’ll have a talk with her, and everything will be fine. I promise! Just give her some time, they say time heals all wounds.”

Dahyun gave her a weak smile, not knowing what else to say.

“And don't worry, I'll come visit you. Now let's gets busy." Given Dahyun one playful squeeze, Jihyo and Dahyun began the momentous task of packing.

Jihyo mentally slapped herself. What the hell had possessed her to convince her best friend to live with her boyfriend? It was one of the stupidest idea that she has ever made, convincing Dahyun to move out for several days. But her regret over allowing Dahyun to stay with Ten in his apartment had nothing to do with the fact that the two of them are lovers and how much they belonged together.

“Listen Dahyun, whenever you are with him,” Jihyo had said, “...and want to do ‘it’, you’re free to do so. I mean, he is your boyfriend after all. I’m not going to become one of those bitter friend who’s ing their friend. But, use ‘protection’!”

If Jihyo wanted to be honest, she was also terrified at the idea of telling Dahyun about this. But who knows what could happen?

Dahyun put her finger to her lips and hushed Jihyo who was still a little dazed about the whole thing. With more effort than she would ever admit, Dahyun heard herself agreeing. Then, pushing to her feet, Dahyun reached out to the top shelf in the back of the closet, concealed beneath assorted of jackets was a Salvatore Ferragamo’s red shoebox. Pulling the box out of its hiding spot, she settled on the floor with it on her lap. Lifting the lid off the shoebox, she set it on the floor. Reaching inside, what she pulled out turned out to be black varina flat shoes.

“Ten oppa bought me this shoes on our first date.”

“He’s so generous,” Jihyo answered vaguely. Dahyun smiled. Despite what people seemed to believe, Dahyun was actually fairly good at hiding her emotions. She had enough skill to fool others. But she seemed genuinely happy.

Dahyun rose up as she grabbed the strap of her purse, and slung it over her shoulder, slid her feets into her Ferragamo. They stepped out with the suitcase in hand, Dahyun was about to shut the closet door when footsteps sounded behind them. She glanced over her shoulder.

“Ready?” Ten asked as he took her suitcase.

Not really, Dahyun thought uneasily, peering up at her bedroom. Swallowing back her feelings, Dahyun smiled at him. “Yup.” Or as much as she can be, she added silently. Ten pulled the suitcase, he made his way out of the house to the parking garage where Yoohyun‘d parked his black car. A double beep echoed into the quiet neighborhood. The girls followed him, even though they were more than willing to help him, he didn’t allow them.

Ten placed a suitcase in the trunk of the car, and dropped his backpack on the backseat. Then guiding Dahyun into the front seat of the car, taking care to buckle her seatbelt. After she was securely fastened, he got himself into the car even though every shred of common sense he possessed was screaming a protest.

“Hei...,” Jihyo called out as she knocked on the dark tinted car window. Dahyun rolling down the window. Jihyo bent down and kissed her cheek lightly.

"I'll call you tonight after telling all friends that your birthday party has canceled." Jihyo said as she glanced at the cellphone she'd pulled from her pocket, then gazed at Ten. "Hei! Two things, buddy. One, I need to know where do you live so I can get Dahyun’s stuff or anything. Two, I'd prefer to know your actual name. I somehow doubt your mom named you Ten or Seven like Sven, Kristoff's reindeer on Frozen."

It was the first time in almost a year that someone had asked his real name, and Ten blushed, though later he wouldn't be able to figure out why. "Uh, I lived in 180-275, Yeongdeungpo-bondong, Yeongdeungpo-gu. And, my name is Chittaphon. But, my parents really gave me ‘Ten’ as my nick name, so Ten works. Or buddy, if you like that better." He answered.

“Okay, buddy! If you make my Dahyun cry for anything other than her own stupidity, you will be answering to me,” Jihyo promised.

Dahyun gasped. “Jihyo!”

Ten shook his head at Dahyun. “No, babe, it’s okay.” He turned towards Jihyo. “You have my word. I would give my life to protect our Dahyun. Anyways, thank you so much for everything. I owe you.”

He inclined his head in gratitude as his grip on the steering wheel tightened. Then he smiled gently at her, as he plucked the key from his pocket, and was inside the car in a flash and started the car. That was the first time Jihyo had ever seen him smile like that. It was a nice smile though. Jihyo couldn't help smiling back, trust and new affection in her expression. Dahyun shut the car window and waved her hand. Jihyo stepped back and waved to them. Jihyo crossed her arms over her chest, she heard a car horn wail loud.

‘I still think this is a bunch of bull.’ Jihyo thought. ‘But, I believe his words. There was no sense in worrying too much. All would be revealed in time, anyway.’

Ten pressed a button on the door arm and the locks in the car clicked simultaneously. He then switched on the air conditioning. Immediately, cold air blasted out of the vents cooling down the inside of the car. He glanced over his shoulder and saw Dahyun clutching her belly. Ten reached out and swept aside a stray strand of the Dahyun’s hair.

"How about a late lunch?"

"Oh yeah, I'm starving!" Dahyun pouted.

"I can't let you starve." He said as he leaned down and pressed his lips against Dahyun’s cheek. He locked the brakes, then quickly bent forward to the backseat, his hands stretched out, grabbed a lunch box and a water bottle out of his backpack. “I bring you some food.” 

Dahyun’s eyes were gleaming eagerly, accepting the food. Picking her fork up, she muttered, “Thank you, oppa,” before shoveling kimchijeon into . She was so hungry! It felt like she had not eaten in months! Ten watched Dahyun in amusement, her fork paused halfway to . With a shake of her head, she went back to eating.

“You liked it?” Ten observed, open a water bottle.

Dahyun shrugged since was full of food. “I was thinking,” she admitted, swallowing. Ten cocked an eyebrow as Dahyun shoveled the last piece into . He saw the thoughtful, distant expression on her face. “About what?”

“How did I get so lucky to have you?” Nothing more needed to be said.

“Really?” Ten’s eyes were wide in combined fascination and relieved, like a big weight had been taken off his shoulders. He smiled gratefully.

“Yup! God loved me.” Dahyun nodded, her eyes were twinkling in merriment.

A grin was plastered on Ten’s face. He shrugged nonchalant. “What can I say? I’m the one who’s lucky. I had been donated to various children’s charities every year. So, I deserved.” He tossed his hands in the steering wheel, laughed.

Dahyun facepalmed, shaking her head in disbelief. “Unbelievable,” She muttered in a mocking voice. His laughter stopped as if a switch had been flicked. Dahyun turned towards him. “What?”

“Just wondering how you got stuck with a guy like me for a boyfriend.”

Dahyun beamed a smile at him. “Just lucky!” She reminded him as she took a sip of her iced tea. Ten snatched a tissue, and he gently wiped .

Dahyun smiled. Ten was a crazy guy with some quirky habits somehow, but she loved him. Why? That was the question of the century. Why does the sun shine? Why does the earth spin? Why is the grass green and the sky blue? Who knows?

Ten glanced at the rear view mirror, “Let’s go before Jihyo kicks our asses.” He said as he put his seatbelt on. Then realizing just how quiet it was, Ten turned the audio on, Coldplay’s Hymn for the Weekend played softly. And, he drove away.

The engine hummed along with the song to fill silence. It was a beautiful day, the sun shining and hardly a cloud in the sky as they roared along the road.

Dahyun crossed her arms, staring out the window in silence, the view outside the car was steadily improving the further they drove. Houses, schools, gas station, apartments, parks, shops and malls met her eyes. The scenery became a blur of color. Their drive through passed too quickly for Dahyun's enjoyment, and they were soon nearing the Banpo Bridge.

Stuck at a red light, Ten sat drumming his thumbs on the steering wheel of his car impatiently. His gaze scanned the nearby restaurant, but with this goddamn traffic, it looked like he did not have much of a choice. The light finally turned green, but he did not get more than a car length before he had to stop. He cursed soundly.

Dahyun’s hand slid into his, and their fingers entwined. Turning his head, Ten smiled as he caught sight of the person who had ever captured his heart, but the smile soon slipped, turned into a frown as he watched how serious Dahyun was.

“Can I talk to you?” She asked him.

“Absolutely.” He said. “Is something bothering you, babe?”

“I’m wondering, I’m not your wife, is it okay if we live together?” A light blush coloring her cheeks. Ten relieved it was not anything serious.

“We just had our honeymoon." He teased. “My neighbor lived with his girlfriend.” When Dahyun’s gazed Ten’s smirking face, she blushed hotly in embarrassment.

"I don't remember getting married.” She lowered down. Ten chuckled, Dahyun peeked through the curtain of hair that veiled her face.

“Let’s get married after graduation and start a family right away.”

“What?” Dahyun blinked, her blush deepened. Turning his gaze from Dahyun, Ten coughed into his fist. He was mortified that just saying one simple sentence “Let’s get married” made him start to feel like a school girl with her first crush. God, how embarrassing.

He coughed quietly, cheeks mottling with color. “You want us to be a family, right?”

She pulled back enough so she could look up at him. She snorted. “We are a family. We don’t need to be married to be a family.” She said.

He thought her words over for a second, then frowned. “Really?” Ten questioned as he began caressing her face. "Okay then, we don't get married on my planet too, we just live together.” Ten said calmly as he turned into the busy traffic.

Dahyun glanced at Ten out of the corner of her eye felt her heart drop. Was Ten angry with her? Even though his words was supposed to be a joke. She tightened her hold on him. “You mad, huh? I thought we agreed to slow things down and get to know one another.”

“Did I agree that? But, yeah. It’s been five month. I just… I don’t know,” He sighed. He had no idea what he was trying to say though.

Dahyun’s lips twitched. “Yeah..., yeah.” Her eyes sparkling in merriment, she leaned forward to car dashboard, her head to the side and gazed at Ten.

“So, is that a yes or a no?” Ten asked.

A hot blush colored Dahyun’s cheeks.  Feeling strangely shy all of a sudden. “Stop!” Biting back an embarrassed grin, she dropped her head to hide the involuntary response Ten seemed to be able to elicit from her.

Ten chuckled.  She is so cute, he thought. He reached out to carress her cheek. Dahyun rubbed her cheek against the touch of his palm.

Leaning forward as far as the seatbelt would let him, Ten captured Dahyun’s lips with his own. “I love you, Dahyunnie,” he whispered as he pulled away.

“I know,” Dahyun whispered back, smiled cutely. Even though she loved him so much, she found it difficult to say those three little words, but Ten did not mind. Dahyun showed it in dozens of ways. It was in the way Dahyun looked at him, the way she listened very intently to his words. Three simple words did not matter. Anyone could say them. That did not mean that they meant it or even knew what it meant. Dahyun loved him, she always had and would, that, Dahyun was sure of.

Ten slightly pinched her cheek. Grinning, he slammed a fist against the steering wheel. “Awesome!!” He shouted brightly. A soft laugh lit his face. “Driving home today with you in my car I felt that this is the type of life I want from now on!”

Dahyun shook her head as Ten’s exclamation echoed, “That was embarrassing!” She hissed and sighed heavily knowing any protest she made was fruitless. She slumped down in her seat.

Still grinning and highly amused by Dahyun’s reaction, "The light turned green. I have to concentrate on driving now." He muttered, glanced in the wing mirror for the nth time. Dahyun nodded and leaned back, she closed her eyes, letting Meghan Trainor’s Like I'm Gonna Lose You lull her, the corner of her lips twitched with a trace of a delicate smile. 

Everything had seemed like a strange dream, seemed unreal.

It felt so wrong but so right to her that she began this new chapter of her life when the last spring was in the air, at her birthday. She was happy, and enjoy watching the earth woke up from its long winter nap with him. And she wanted to watch the gradual way the spring melted into summer with its long and hot days, lingering twilight with the guy she loved. Her pulse quickened at the thought of walking with Ten at the beach, under those gold sunsets, capturing perfect moments when all seems right with the world.  

So, no, she was not at all sad to leave her house behind her.

Dahyun knew that Yoohyun might would never allow Dahyun to date Ten. But, Yoohyun would realize how much she loved Ten and would have to accept it. He was a god-send for her, probably the best that could ever have happened to her.

In all honesty, Dahyun couldn’t help but feel sorry for Yoohyun, she didn’t deserved everything that came her way. Yoohyun seemed to be created to suffer was beyond her. It did not seem fair. Dahyun knew she was being unnecessarily cruel, but she’d learned, one had to be blunt. If that came across as cruel to some, then so be it.

Maybe they would regret until their dying breath the way they had treated Yoohyun, regret that they allowed their selfishness to consume them. But they would never regret that smile they had seen when they’d caught sight of each other. They were happy and that was all that mattered.

Dahyun just wished there was something she could do to alleviate the guilt.

‘I wish Yoohyun unnie the best of luck in all her future endeavors.’

======================================================================================

 

======================================================================================

***Thanks to you guys to give me  support that makes me continue to do what I love to do.

What do you think?

Do you feel a little sorry for Yoohyun?

Remember, George R. R. Martin said, "Nobody is a villain in their own story. We're all the heroes of our own stories." So does TenHyun :p

They’d been young, naïve and stupid. Folks say wisdom comes with age, it was a cliché but it was true.

Do comment, please :)

-Love, Airin-

 Ferragamo as a gift ^^