Long and Dull Journey

WHITE CHRISTMAS

The days had been getting longer and hotter as the year wore into summer.

The suffocating heat, the warm moist air hitting you as soon as you stepped out of the door, and the intense summer sun was beating against your head. The change still took Dahyun by surprise even though it’s been a week. Well, it was not about the weather, but her life. She felt happier and more alive than she had in a very long time. She had to admit, she felt as giddy as a school girl. Well, she still is though.  

Dahyun kept recalling the last few days with Ten and how intimately attached they'd been. What was the right word to describe this; the newlyweds?

Yes, she felt like they were the newlyweds. Having the apartment to themselves freed them to explore everything more than they ever had. They took a shower together, brushed their teeth together, cooked together, ate together, did laundry and chores together, played PlayStation together, they did almost everything together. One of the things she liked most about him was that with him it was not all about . Of course, they have plenty of that, but often it was just about loving and caring for someone so much it was hardly bearable.

It was a Saturday morning in June, an ideally perfect summer day. They were in Ten’s Hyundai sedan, and were going to Guryongpo Beach. Finally.

Dahyun’s mind was far, she sat in silence for most of the drive. Ten glanced in the wing mirror for brief moments at a time as he was lounging at the long conference and speaking rapidly in English over his cellphone.

Dahyun was feeling particularly bored, she decided to check her phone; checked SNS, watched youtube, browsed. She might think internet would alleviate her seemingly endless boredom, but it only ended up adding to her already mounting boreness. So, Dahyun examined Ten for a long moment; he knew how to deceive people, she thought. To strangers, he was a well-mannered guy. To women, he was a generous gentleman. To clients, he seemed an affable businessman.

Ten tucked his cell phone at his pocket and glanced at Dahyun. He sighed, feeling a slight guilty.

“A client. Nothing more.”

“Nothing more?” She murmured, watching his expression skeptically.

“Nothing more.” Ten repeated, his mind focused on the road and traffic. “Our Ideas and design doesn’t match with his requirements. He expects us to turn over the design work quickly. It can be quite stressful to get work done to a high standard but quickly like this.” He sighed. “Doyoung,” he continued, “He has an amazing communication and marketing skills. He always impressed clients, can influence them. I'd consider putting him to work in this project if he can speak English fluently. It's a pity. Because as much as I wanted to be, I just wasn’t that skilled.”

“How about Kun and Taeil-ssi?” She asked in a bored, nonchalant tone.

“Kun has a three-days business trip planned tomorrow to Fujian. He had more important matters to attend to, like attend his cousin’s wedding, visit his family, meeting with potential clients, few project deals. You know, we tried to venture down to the China docks and marketplace. With having to deal with them, the thought we could run China, probably would open a better prospect. Still needs lots of research and preparation though. Taeil hyung was supposed to have had the day off today, but he had been roped into going out playing futsal with a client.”

Blah blah blah. And you know what?  Dahyun didn’t care anymore. She went silent but her expression remained annoyed. In his heart, Ten knew his following words were unnecessary but he was unable to stop himself, which further annoy her.

“There’s a new kid, his name is Mark, he’s only seventeen. But surprisingly, he was a fairly impressive artist, he loves science fictions, and has a great skills at animations, considered this skill the greatest tool in this business. Hansol hyung got a business degree. They can speak English fluently, but still, not everyone has marketing skills as good as Doyoung.”

Dahyun sighed, feeling a little hurt. “Yeah~” She muttered softly, sounded bored and uninterested.

“I should be able to manage my own time with where my work load priorities are. But I won’t give up on this project, I’m determined to do whatever I could,” Ten cringed at having his own words thrown at her. Even to him, his excuses were beginning to sound weak.

Dahyun growled lightly, it became tedious, she could not understand his ramblings. Ten realized that she had quieted.

“I’m sorry, I will stop talking about this. Sorry for ruining our holiday.” He said, smiled apologetically. He pulled his cellphone and turned it off.

Dahyun wanted to say, “It’s okay, I understand”, but was not sure why, she remained silent. She pretended to enjoy the scenery as she stared out the window with a barely audible sigh.

And then, the world was merely a mix of colors and blurs. But, her ears were functioning just fine, Dahyun heard the rumble of traffic, occasionally the obnoxiously loud roar of a vehicle cut over the rest as if it were a contest to see who can annoy the rest of humanity the most. She also heard the sound of Ten’s fingers drumming on the steering wheel and his constant muttering melted within this early morning traffic.

Dahyun had very much enjoyed their ‘newlyweds’ life. Even though, Ten was busy with a bunch of paperworks, his digital business, and his thesis. Besides of that, Dahyun determined to avoid and not to see Jihyo at school unless necessity forced her to. Jihyo kept spamming her inbox with messages about ‘Facts About Ten Chittaphon. You’d better be forewarned, Dahyun!’, about how Ten had treated Yoohyun early on in their relationship, about Sejeong.

Dahyun was sure, Yoohyun had been pretty demanding of Jihyo's free time lately, and she had told Jihyo some bull story and had informed her that she saw Jihyo as her best friend or else, just as important as Dahyun or Doyoung, since Jihyo had been the only driving force behind Yoohyun had not given up on her current situations. However, Dahyun was almost certain that Yoohyun had made the whole story up. She knew, Yoohyun hadn’t wanted to spend time alone, but her need to keep Jihyo had prompted her to drag Jihyo along and had instigated the creation of a grand lie of a tale, in which Jihyo respected Yoohyun enough to be less skeptical. Dahyun reminded Jihyo that everything Yoohyun came up with in her head was just pointless and how much untruth had come out of , it was better that Jihyo didn't want her to talk because then Yoohyun couldn't lie anymore. But much to Dahyun’s disappointment, Jihyo wouldn't believe Dahyun instead.

Later, Jihyo had ingrained it in Dahyun’s mind that eventually Ten would leave her. And that was Dahyun’s biggest fear; that she would be left alone, that everybody she cared about would desert her. In all honesty, Dahyun was not at all positive, did not matter how many times or how many ways Ten told her he loved her, that she could see and feel his sincerity; that fear was always there and always would be. But she had to hold onto the hope he gave her. Also, having together with him, she’d become accustomed to how the wheels and cogs in Ten’s brain moved and how his brain functioned.

So, got out of her dilemma that tried to interrupt their happy ‘newlyweds’ life. Dahyun had studiously avoided the areas she and Jihyo had previously frequented together. In fact, Dahyun had stopped coming down to gymnasium every lunch break. She had been successful thus far since they had been busy preparing for CSAT Simulation that will be held in the last June.

As a third year student, Dahyun barely gave any thought to her studies, nor the fact that she needed to excel to gain entrance to a reputable university. But, she almost couldn’t care-less either. She wanted to attend Yonsei University, program communication and arts just like Ten, at first. Until last night, she found out that Ten was in his senior year of college unlike Yoohyun, Ten will graduate this year, then head to London, UK., to start work for a graphic design company named Moving Brands in the next spring.

Hmm..., their conversation last night was still fresh in her mind.

Dahyun felt as if she was forgetting something. There was something she was supposed to do but she could not remember what.

Frowning, “Hey, Oppa,” Dahyun called slowly as Ten silently cursed at the brilliant rays of the sun nearly struck him blind. He wished he’d remembered his sunglasses. Unfortunately, it was at his apartment on the dresser.

Ten turned to look at her. “Traffic jams never fail to amuse me.”  He let out a smile. “You want ice cream? I think, I’m able to run into the ice cream shop and buy one.”

She shook head slightly, “No...,” she paused. Ten snuck a glance and hoped that it would aid him in understand her mood.

“Hey?” He tucked a stray strand of her hair behind her ear with his free hand. “Are you all right?”

“Oppa, did we remember to lock the door?” She asked him a few seconds later.

“Huh?” Ten blinked. “Of course we did. Why?”

Dahyun ignored his question. “Turn off the stove?”

“We ate leftover pizza that we ordered last night. I’ve turned the microwave off.”

“Turn off air conditioners?”

“Well, I guess, yes.”

“Coffee maker?”

“We don’t have a coffee maker.”

“What about-”

“Jeez, babe!” Ten hissed as he slammed a hand against the steering wheel. “Everything’s shut, locked and turned off. What’s with this paranoid act? You want us to cancel this holiday?! Do you? Is that your only excuse?” Ten could sympathize with but he was in no mood for this.

Dahyun froze, unable to form one coherent word. She stared at Ten with wide eyes. Though, she knew why Ten was so irritable. They have spent the past hour in traffic behind an eighteen wheeler that was shooting exhaust fumes into their car. Also the pressure and stress of his job and his thesis were too much for the young man to handle. His hands clenched the steering wheel. He sighed heavily.

“Okay, sorry, I had a project that had to be taken care of. We have a deadline. But I’ve already turned my phone off. I seriously felt extremely guilty and felt like a total d*ck for causing you bored and I’m really sorry for yelling at you. Please don’t sulk, was that too much to ask for?”

Dahyun felt herself stiffen for a split second, “Don't get mad at me...,” she said.

Ten glanced to her, seeing her face, and let regret flicker in his eyes. “I’m sorry, baby, I’m not mad at you. I just..., I just...,” he stammered pathetically. His face went white and his mind was a complete blank. It irked Dahyun to no end, though she could not really blame him this time.

“We can’t go back. We’re stuck in this traffic, I can’t pull an illegal u-turn in this middle of rush hour traffic. And, I don’t wanna go back either.”

“It’s not about that~”

“So, what’s going on?”

Dahyun looked away to stare out the window. “I don’t know” she admitted. “It’s just... I feel like we forgot something.”

“Oh, you are right! I forgot my coffee.”

Dahyun looked at him. He was now sipping some of his coffee can. He looked back at her and smiled. Dahyun wasn’t really caught of guard, if ever, just a tad bit puzzled. She had no idea why Ten pulled out his smile, it made her feel guilty.

“I will call Doyoung to check our apartment to make sure, okay? I’m sorry...,”

“No need to. Don’t be sorry. No biggie,” She muttered as she looked away, finding her reflection interesting all of a sudden.

“Umm, o-kay... Anyways, are you just going to stare out the window?” He asked.

“I guess,” she answered.

“Aren’t you even going to talk to me again? I don't want it to be weird between us.”

She nodded, understanding that it would be awhile, and she agreed with him.

But the next hour, the day's journey had been silent. Besides the music that flowed through radio. Thankfully there were no more traffic tie ups anymore and the drive had gotten back to normal, swift and uneventful.

Ten glanced at her and flipped the radio off.

“Hey! I was listening to that,” Dahyun protested.

“Baby, say something to me,” he begged her, afraid that she had become angry.

“I wanna listen to that song!” She told him.

“Well, if you put it that way,” He turned the radio back on. “I guess I’ll be glad for my client to keep me company until you’re finished with your ‘business’.”

“WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?” Dahyun was in a snit now. Anger had made her eyes sparkle and her milky white skin flush red.

“Whoaaa, chill. I’m only teasing, babe, you’re so beautiful when you’re angry tho.”

“STOP TEASING ME! YOU ARE SO ANNOYING!” Dahyun couldn’t help yelling at him.

Again. It happened again. Why? Dahyun looked distressed and he began to worry.

“Then, talk to me. What happened? Are you mad at me?” He confused.

“I’m not mad at you...,”

“I see. Then tell me why are you so quiet?” He asked, feeling stupid all of a sudden.

“Why are you so insistent? You’re tiring me out,” she hissed as she shook her head.

“I’m tiring you out? Too bad, you’ll be with me for the rest of your life,” he said.

Dahyun looked back at him as he supped up the last of his coffee, creating an annoying slurping noise. He crushed the cup and placed it inside the small plastic bag that their meal came with.

‘You’ll be with me for the rest of your life...,’

‘You’ll be with me for the rest of your life...,’

Then it came.

She could not believe that she had forgotten something like this. How could she has forgotten something this huge? This changed everything! She felt the prickle of threaten tears, but pushed them aside.

“Dahyunnie, are you alright!?” He spoke, concern filling his voice. “Please, don't start any drama, baby queen!” He pleaded as he switched the radio off again.

‘Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!’ Dahyun became blinded by her tears as a sudden onslaught pooled down her face. She covered as a loud sob filled the silence of the car. Her body shook as she cried. It felt as if her heart had been ripped violently out of her chest.

Ten hated it when Dahyun cried, especially when it was because of him and he didn’t know the reason behind her tears. It always made him feel so helpless. He did not know what to do in situations like these. She sounded so miserable, he had to do something. It was eating him up that he was responsible for her unhappiness. Dahyun should be happy, she should be smiling but instead she was sitting in the passenger seat bawling her eyes out.

“I'm sorry, Dahyunnie,” he said, heaving himself off of her, extending a hand to her.

Yes, he had the tendency to be annoying. It was something he was reminded of on a daily basis, so how could he not know what his faults were?

Was she frustrated?

“I'm sorry, I didn't mean, uh, I, why are you cry_” Ten put a hand on her shoulder and pausing, realizing that she really might not hear.

“Dammit!” He cursed under his breathe as he glanced around and spotting an empty space along the curb, signaled and pulled over. Was feeling quite damned good, that he had just gotten the last spot.

Dahyun noticed the car was slowing down. Despite the seatbelt, she flung herself onto her boyfriend, gripping his arm tightly. Ten gasped in surprise. He had to jerk the wheel and slam on the brakes in order to keep from smashing into the parked car in front of him.

“GODDAMNIT KIM DAHYUN!!!,” he snapped.

He hung his head back against the seat and took a long, deep breath, trying to slow down his racing heart.

“What the hell are you…?” His voice faded as he turned towards his girlfriend and the look of utter terror on her face.

Dahyun stared at him with teary eyes. Tears coursed down her face and snot drooled from her nose, but she did not care. Holding onto Ten was the most important thing right now.

“Please don’t leave me! Please!” She wrapped her arms around Ten’s chest and buried her tear and snot filled face on his arm.

Ten blinked, taken back.

Leave her? What in the world?

Dahyun wailed piteously. “Just please don’t leave me! I need you!” Dahyun’s voice thickened, her words started to slur.

For her, Ten was like a hot chocolate on cold nights and iced-tea on hot summer days. He was warm embraces. He was not 12 AM, alone and sleepless. He was not the cold surface of a mirror, reflecting all her doubts and fear. He was sweet, beautiful, loving… hers. That was her umpteenth time trying to describe Ten. He was everything. For the first time in her life, she felt whole. Ten filled that void that sat empty in her for so long.

Oh, Dahyun, Ten thought. His heart broke as he listened to his cutie idiot. Then everything fell into place. He sighed heavily.

Why did Dahyun jump to the worst case scenario when it came to their relationship?

“It’s about Moving Brands, right?” Ten asked gently.

Yes, and Jihyo added fuel into the fire.’

“Baby, your reaction is so damn late.” But he could picture her reaction and that was something he did not want to deal with at eight-thirty in this morning.

“You were so calm and chill last night that I’m surprised. Why are you so cute, baby?” Couldn't believe he'd ever associated the word cute with any of what was going on with her. Dahyun leaned her head into the crook of his neck.

“Dahyunnie, I’m sorry, I didn’t tell you about that earlier, but so much has been happening so that I forgot! And, I won’t leave you.” Turning in her arms, Ten hugged her back. “Because I need you too,” he whispered.

It was always incredible to watch Dahyun switch from one emotion to another. Her tears stopped as if they had never been streaming down her face. She pulled back enough so that she could see Ten’s face clearly. Her face was still a mess and her eyes glistened with the threat of more tears, but instead of misery clouding her face, a mask of confusion stared back at him.

“Y-you won’t leave me?”

“You really wanted me that bad, huh,” Ten teased.

Dahyun rolled her eyes and snorted, but otherwise ignored the comment. “It would’ve been nice to know that earlier.”

“Seriously though, baby, I forgot! And like usual, the only thing that held me back to tell you was; the thought of your reaction. You caught a bad case of paranoia,”

“So, you really won’t leave me?” She repeated, sounding confused.

Ten snickered, shaking his head in amusement. “You really are an idiot,” he whispered in Dahyun’s ear. He pulled his lover back to him and hugged her tight. “When did I ever say that I was going to leave you, huh?”

Dahyun’s eyes started to water again and her chin trembled. She sniffled, on the verge of crying once again. “B-but,” she cried, her voice shaking, “I thought…, I thought you were going to leave me!” She tightened her hold on Ten.

“Dahyun,” Ten sighed heavily. “Why would I leave you?”

“You said you were going to work in London!” A look of fierce possessiveness stole over her face washing away the last of her tears and sorrow. “But, I won’t let you to leave me!! I won’t let you go! Ever!”

Ten smirked, “I knew you would say that. You’re becoming predictable, babe!”

Dahyun opened , but closed it when what Ten said sunk in. She blinked in confusion. Ten pulled back and reached into the glove compartment. Dahyun watched as he grabbed something. When Ten sat back, Dahyun noticed several tissues in his hand.

Ten looked at her with a tender smile. He reached out and brushed away a stray tear. “Now, wipe your face off,” he told her in a soft but stern voice. “You look like you were hit by an ugly stick and that is not a look I want on my beautiful Dahyun.”

Dahyun blushed as she took the tissue from him. She scrubbed her face free of tears and drying snot, then blew her nose. Feeling a little better, she placed the used tissues in the plastic bag hanging from the console, joined the coffee cup.

“Baby, listen.” Ten said looking straight at his girlfriend. Ten told her that his family wanted and insisted Ten to study Business Management because they own a furniture manufacturer and retailer in Bangkok. When he was in high school, Ten took IGCSE Design Technology resistant materials course. But then he fell for Design Graphic. Ten wanted to be a digital artist, so that he decided to study communications and art instead. Thankfully, his family respect, support and appreciate his decisions.

“Words can never express how truly grateful I am for them. I want you to support me as well.”

Dahyun bowed her head, playing with the tissue in her hands. Her eyes watered. She fought against the downward tug of the corners of her lips.

“I studied in Shrewsbury for ten years, I have always wanted to live in England since God knows when. And the day has came! Moving Brands noticed my online portfolio and made the offer as Graphic Designer. I could not refuse!” He explained.

Ofcourse, with the unemployment rate these days, and he has been offered a job with salary above £65,000 per year exclude benefits like bonus, profit sharing and commision. How could he let this perfect opportunity to sneak away, so Ten accepted it. Moving Brands though, is certainly a great place to work, a great opportunity, to use his skills and learn from them, and also networking opportunities; with their massive global clients like Apple, Google, HP, Coca Cola, Microsoft, Netflix.

“This-this is my dreams, my visions.” Ten grabbed Dahyun’s chin and gently lifted her head. Her mind blanked as she tried to take in everything at once. Her forehead creased in thought as she contemplated that.

“Dahyun, look at me. Talk to me. What’s going on in that thick skull of yours, huh?”

She looked up and gazed at him, “Under normal circumstances, I would have felt like I was being betrayed. You said you won’t leave me, but you actually will,” Dahyun’s chin shook and a tear managed to worm its way down Dahyun’s cheek. She jerked her chin out of Ten’s grasp and turned her head away. She was not sure, if she was able or willing to face this. Jihyo was right; he would leave her.

She turned towards Ten and asked, “Is that worth it?”

Ten stunned, the only problem was that, he had kept a vital piece of information from her. There was no idea what she would do if she found out the truth. Would Dahyun accept it? He shuddered at the thought.

“Actually, I don’t know.”

Ten really didn’t know if his salary was higher or lower than average salary in London. Even his father spent around £34,000 per year only on his children’s school tuitions.

Ten laughed. He scrubbed his face. “But, I still think it will be worth it. For some people this would be hopeless, but for others it would be far more than they would hope to ever get paid.” Ten continued with a soft smile. “Knowing my experience, that’s a quite good numbers. My monthly take home salary will be around £3,700, and that’s the amount many people would feel proud of, even though it’s not by any means remarkable. I will earn more in the future though.” He stared deeply into her eyes, pleading to her to understand.

“I don’t understand.” Dahyun muttered as she averted her face away. “You and your friends had worked so hard for your digital business in here. After all the effort you put, why would you leave and work in London?” Releasing her seatbelt, Dahyun hooked her heels onto the edge of the seat, wrapped her arms around her knees and rested her cheek on top of her bent knees, facing out the window away from him.

Ten gnawed his bottom lip as he tried to get his mouth and brain in sequence.

“I know, it's amazing how NCT Studio had spawned,” He tensed as these words were spoken in a soft voice. Ten himself didn’t imagine the possibility of them being successful. He loved the fact each day was a new challenge and that he had to constantly learn new things due the advancement of technology and on top of new design trends. Totally his thing!

With narrowed eyes, “But, Taeil hyung, a man with a crush on an entertainer, he is now an IT officer for entertainment company in order to help him bump into the singer. Hansol hyung, he works at the Shinhan Bank in Busan. Kun also launched a car seat covers business. They followed their dreams while still keeping their job as NCT teams. So do I. I have other plans. But, we would never leave NCT.”

Dahyun stared at the outside blankly for several long moments. So, the decision was made, she would only stand besides him and support his decision even if she did not agree with it?

Frowning, “I didn’t know everyone has double jobs in NCT.”

“Not everyone though. Doyoung, he said he’s not going anywhere; Seulgi noona has graduated from Yonsei this year, she's been the Secretary then became Admin Specialist for NCT for more than three years, she chose NCT for her career. And, there were other qualified people had been hired to run NCT.”

Ten reached out and ran his hand over his girlfriend’s soft strands. “I was pleased to see NCT teams so happy and envisioned many joyful days together. I also really enjoy working with them, it’s so nice to have such a great team and positive environment, flexible work hours, not too much bureaucracy. I’d love to be NCT team. But, Moving Brands is for us, for you and me!” He whispered softly. “Our future! I’m working towards a brighter future for us,” He tried to sound reassuring. Lifting her head, Dahyun turned to look at him.

He drew his brows together in concentration. “You told me that CSAT was offered every November, right? And you will graduate from high school in February?”

Dahyun nodded, waited for him to continue. She had a feeling it was something important.

Ten took a deep breath and held it for several long seconds as he listened to the rapid beating of his heart and the rush of blood in his ears. He sighed, running his tongue over dry lips, relaxed himself.

“First, though, I’m a Buddhist and you are a Christian. But I don’t wanna try to convert you to my beliefs. I’m not the most devout Buddhist after all.”

Dahyun snorted. That was an understatement.

Ten continued. “Truth be told, I wasn’t really religious.”

Well, if being a devout Buddhist means dedicated his life to be a Thai monk, then she wasn’t really religious either.

“Someone told me that in the Bible interfaith marriages can’t work. On the other hand, there nothing wrong with interfaith marriages in Buddhism. So, my parents are not going to against our relationship due the difference in faith or race. Umm, wait, I’m confused myself. It’s so hard to say what exactly. Duh!”

His thoughts racing around like a dog chasing its tail. Something flittered into and out of his mind.  It , coming close enough for him to reach out and grab it, but when he tried to do just that, it evaporated into smoke that curled around his fingers and rose into the air just out of reach.

He lost for words.

Dahyun said nothing for a moment, but then she gave him the wordless reaction of caressing his cheek, trying her best to comfort him.

He blushed, embarrassed, “Can I get a Pepsi?” He rubbed the back of his neck.

Dahyun laughed lightly, “Tell me more, oppa. I’m listening.” She faced him and hugged him. Burying his face in her hair, Ten slowly groaned.

“... Baby, even though I don’t really wish to get married at such a young age. And, we couldn’t be married soon, especially before your coming of age, next year. I-I...,” He paused. Dahyun looked down at him, a look of cautious hope in her eyes, she felt a little spark of hope flame to life again. “Y-you said, we don’t need to be married to be a family. B-but, you are the one I want to have a family with. As my wife__” Even before he could finish his sentence, Ten turned his head to meet her gaze and kissed her cheek.

Pulled away, he darted his eyes into hers, “Second, I-I wouldn’t mind having the wedding ceremony in Seoul or Udo. In Thai, marriage is outside the faith to begin with, is essentially a non-religious affair.” Dahyun heard him gulp. Ten grunted as he was beginning to get a headache, or thought he did. He tried to act bravery like had intended to, but exhaustion like he never felt before settled over him.

“Last but not least, I’m still going to go to London in March next year, after I pass probationary period and have stable income. My target is three months, it may take a bit longer, but it'll prove to be time well worth the wait. Then, next summer, I-I will look to you and ask; will you go home too? Home means where we are together. Wish that you will follow me. Next year, we are in marriageable age, we’re going to get married. I will take you there. You can continue your study in there too. Again we are together, again your hand is on mine. What do you think?”

Dahyun felt a shiver race down her spine because of his words.

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted Dahyun stunned, pale face. He could not blame her. He had the same reaction when he learned what they would have to do in order to stay together. His plans seemed to be well thought out and it might very well work. Besides, it was obvious that they had a bright future ahead of them.

Ten’s face flamed hotly. Suddenly, Dahyun grinned widely as she saw the red tint on Ten’s face. He was so cute when he blushed. Ten coughed into his fist, his flush growing. He turned his face away from giggling his lover was doing.

“Dahyun, say something!” He pleaded.

With a mischievous twinkle in her eyes, “ I belong to you...,” her words pierced him more deeply than she could have imagined.

“No...,” She said suddenly. Ten blushed, then looked down. It seemed like a very cute motion to her. Dahyun was unsure of how to respond, but she should nonetheless.

“Oppa, moving to London is not something to throw around lightly unlike if you were moving across town. I mean, it’s not something you do on a whim, its a lot more complicated.”

Ten winced. “I know that.” He added silently, “I’m sorry.” Ten pulled back and twiddled his fingers in steering wheel.

She smiled, “But just like I’ve said that I want you to be my last.”

“So, uhm...” He lifted his eyes and glanced quickly at Dahyun before lowering his eyes. “Does this mean you’re going with me?”

Dahyun sat back in her own seat, draping an arm around his seat, ran her fingers through his locks. “It’s a big decision. I’m wondering my family’s reaction.”

Ten frowned, stared out the window, a deep weight settling over his shoulders. Frankly, he was still unsure about the move himself. As much as this meant to him. Dahyun was right, it was a huge decision. But, what would happen to them if Dahyun decided not to follow him to UK? Would they be forced to break up? Or could they make a long distance relationship work?

“I had not thought about it that far.” Ten grinned.

“But, you really went all out, oppa. Why?” Dahyun asked, smiling with encouragement.

“I wanna be with you, Dahyunnie. I constantly imagine my life with you. Do I need a reason?” He asked innocently.

Dahyun flustered by his words as she gazed at his eyes, and she saw her future reflect in his eyes. “Next summer, you really will be back to me? Promise?”

“Yes, I promise.”

Deciding not to dwell on it too much, as it only got her flustered even more, what she could do something about the future. Yes, the future. It hadn’t been written but yet. Maybe not exactly as she‘d planned, but why argue over insignificant details? Ten had the makings of a future, and that was something Dahyun was counting on, so she wasn't going to gamble with her future anymore. She loved this man, he was her heart, her soul, her everything.

They didn't talk for a moment. Dahyun reached out, grabbed Ten’s hand, lacing their fingers together. She smiled at him, putting all the feelings she had for him. He smiled in return. For a moment they simply look at each other, basking in one another’s presence. Ten placed her hand on his cheek, then he grasped it and moved it to his mouth, placing a tender kiss on her fingers. 

The simple touch of his lips on her knuckles sent a shiver of delight. He then leaned forward and claimed with his, little brushes of his lips against hers. Dahyun felt her face go red. Her heart pounded. She didn't kiss him back, but didn't pull away either. She felt a thrill sweep through her, realized they hadn't kissed since the trip. She'd forgotten how warm and happy it made her feel. In a second, Dahyun remembered all the times, all the things they'd done.

“I'd have to rethink my whole future. Please lead me.” She said.

He looked surprised. “Wait?! Hold on, didn't you say-”

“I don't care if it's gonna be hard.” She interrupted. “Just let me in on overseeing our future...,” She added.

Ten’s smile grew wider. His eyes sparkled, his shoulders sagged, “What was that?”

Dahyun growled in irritation. She hated to repeat herself, especially when it was so damn embarrassing.”WecangetmarriedandliveinUK,” she shouted all in one breathe.

Ten’s eyes grew wide. “A-are you serious?”

Dahyun nodded enthusiastically, marriage was not something either one of them had ever thought about, this early. But was it all that bad? Being attached legally to the one person she loved more than anything in this entire world? Well, all they needed was her parents’s permission, but they'd still have time for that.

“But, I wanted to ask you something important.” He said, daring her by raising his eyebrow. “I will only ask you once.” But, he stopped talking.

Dahyun smiled as she watched Ten, whom was deep in thought. Gently, she tapped him on the arm, watched as Ten was brought out of his few seconds-day-dreaming.

“Yes?” was the answer Ten received, to a statement long forgotten.

Ten stared at her face, then suddenly grabbed her chin as he put his lips over hers. He pulled away from her, shaking his head. “You're trying to distract me!!”

“What?!! You kissed me!” She spoke defensively.

“That wasn't what I intended,” he told her softly. She frowned her eyebrows as she grabbed him by the upper arms.

“Oppa, I want you to ask me your questions.” She saw his eyes dart away. “What are you afraid of?”

“Your answer...,” He chuckled nervously.

“You’re afraid of the answers. Then, let me know what it is.”

Ten gulped while he gathered himself enough to ask, “You said, you wanted me to let you in on overseeing our future, right?” He began, Dahyun nodded.

“Uh…,” Ten scratched his head. His forehead once again creased in thought.

“I know this is going to sounds really odd; Umm, I genuinely believe that no one can predict the future. But we do have the creative thinking skills to build an imaginative look at the future. So, let me tell you a little story called Tenhyun’s precognition.” He began, “... yeah, or something like that.” He shrugged.

“Umm, o-k-ayy..,” Now Dahyun was studying him. There was more to that inquiry than just curiosity. “What?”

Ten squirmed uncomfortably in his seat. “This man, I, maybe will not give you what you want. I know, this . But, I'm not going to let you just push me away!”

“What do you mean?” Dahyun asked with a confused blink, where this was going?

Sighing, “In London, I’m going to work in Charlotte road. And, we are going to live in Zone 1, the vibrant Shoreditch triangle. Where the costs of living are, generally, one of the highest in London. Quite close to Brick Lane, and only 10 minutes cycling to work. So I don’t have to spend so much on transportation, But my friends told me that housing is by far the biggest cost, because landlords have all the power, they can increase rent as much as they want. They told me, I can reduce the cost by sharing property with others or living further from Central London in suburbs and commute on tube. But, fortunately, my flat just so-happens to be owned by the parents of my friend from Shrewsbury. It seemed they don’t recognise the value of their property because they gave me low and reasonable price, no lease, no deposit, and probably they won’t try to screw me. Furthermore, my father have any intention of saving up for a deposit to buy a house in there one day.”

Dahyun nodded her head. What was her man going to ask though? She opened to speak, but decided against it and said nothing. Instead, she studied her complected boyfriend. A war of emotions was playing out on his face. From her experience, Dahyun knew at times like these, it was best if she said and did absolutely nothing. 

“But, it’s not as simple as that, and not as good as it sounds!” He argued himself. “...because we will stay in a small one-bedroom flat. It’s like we sell our soul to live in a ‘KFC box’! We don’t even have a bathtub!”

Dahyun simply snorted and shook her head, “The entire universe can still exist without it just fine. Anyways, nobody is forcing you to live in there.” She could have slapped herself for letting run like that, but Ten only chuckled. It was a nice chuckle, she decided. Was there anything about him that wasn't nice though?

“But, we have private balcony!!” He couldn't hide his excitement. Ten took her hands in his. “I can barely admit it now. But, Dahyunnie, I’m likely to be a middle income bracket man. You might even regret marrying me, because I can’t guarantee we will ever be rich or anything. Nonetheless, London is London, we can never be rich there. The reason most people come is for building careers.”

Dahyun looked down at his hands on hers.

“Wo_,”

Dahyun looked up and watched Ten as he tried to gain control over his out of control emotions. Ten his lips and tried again.

“Would you marry a man who only makes enough to live a basic life? Hopefully, we are close to living Mustachian lifestyle. Would you marry a man who takes you away from your motherland as we already know; living in a foreign country can be challenging. You won’t live in a huge beautiful house with picket white fences and apartment sized shoe closet. Probably, I can’t afford to buy you a new sports car or designer clothes as a birthday gifts. We are not living lavish lifestyles. Can you, do you want to, live like that?” He shaked their hands for emphasis. “But, I will work my off to be financially better!” He gripped her hands more tightly in his. ‘Because you said, you were counting on all of me.’

Silence. So, was that good or bad? She thought. She didn’t want to live like a queen whatsoever.

Dahyun leaned her head back against the seat and stared up at a rear view mirror. “You know,” She said suddenly into the silence. Turning her head, she gave him a disappointed look. Ten felt his body tightening.

“You are such an idiot.” She huffed.

“Yes. I know. I am.” Ten gripped her hand tightly. The pressure turned his knuckles white. His jaw was clenched, a vein throbbed in his neck. “I'd have laughed at the suggestion that I'd ever consider living anywhere but London, one of the world’s most expensive cities to live in.” He mumbled, playing with her fingers.

“Idiot!!!” She snapped harshly. She knew exactly what her man was thinking. Truthfully, she hated the thought that maybe her sweet and naïve oppa might be right.

Ten sighed for the nth time and sank into his seat. He somehow thought that the day is only going to get worse. For now, however, he ordered himself to relax because he needed the energy to finish this conversation with his beloved girl.

Dahyun shook her head and sighed. “If you asked me, would I marry a-middle-income-man-like-you? I can’t give you the answers you so desperately seek,” she said kindly. “But, I will tell you this.”

Ten lifted his head, peered at his lover, the mix of emotions racing across his face. Heaving a sigh, again, he was more exhausted then he could ever remember being. There was sweat covering his forehead. Dahyun’s calloused hand reached up and wiped them with her fingers.

“I hate seeing you acting like this. Please, stop belittling yourself.” She said.

“Dahyun..., I’m not seeking a pity.” He stuttered.

“You are not! But, I don’t know why did you doubt me? Everybody has some struggles, ups and downs in their live, no matter of they are rich or not. If we get the money to buy load of things, huge mansion, branded clothes, sports car, would we be the happiest family ever though? Because that are not what makes me happy. Odd as it may sound but it was true. For God’s sake, I’m just a girl who comes from Udo Island!! Maybe, some girls are superficial; just looking for money and busy spending the money they have milked from their man. But, I’m not getting married for money! Just like I’ve said before, I’m not with you for your money!”

Ten was still a mess that somehow tried to manage to stick in his mind. He was desperately grabbing for bits of important details of her words. His headache has subsided but he has a gut feeling that it just might hit again, ing twice as much as before.

A touch on his cheek brought Ten back to reality. He slowly looked up, only to find Dahyun smiling at him.

“I’m very happy now with you. The passion and love in our relationship, I would not trade it for all of the richests in the world. I’d rather to sit on swing at the local park with you than go holiday to Hawaii with someone I don’t love. I’d rather to live in a ‘KFC box’ with you than in a mansion with someone who made me miserable!”

“I couldn’t agree more...,” Ten muttered through his teeth. It was a lame attempt but it was all that he can think off. Dahyun giggled cutely. “But__”

“Of course, I know its important to have financial stability!” She interrupted. “If you are not yet financial independence, but there is still potential, we can work with that, your so-called-Tenhyun’s precognition is not set on stone. Money can be made. And, I can make money too. We are going to do fine!” She said as a bright smile lit her face. Ten could not help but smile back. Her energy and optimism were contagious. Dahyun reached out and grabbed his hand, giving it a squeeze.

“Whether you’re a middle class man, upper class, or something else.” Dahyun shook her head. “They’re just words made up of letters. Nothing more. Nothing less. Words do not constitute your worth, your personality, what or who you really are. Your actions do that. Labels are for packages! You’re so much more than that!”

“S-sorry.” He said in a flustered way. For some reason, that made Ten feel so much better, his chest did not feel as tight.

“You have nothing to worry about.” She reassured him.

Swallowing back a sigh, “How you got stuck with me? Lucky? I beg differ. I don’t deserve you, Kim Dahyun. You are too good for me. How did I get lucky to have you?”

“Shut up!” Dahyun cupped his cheek. “I love you,” she whispered dearly.

Ten gave her his thousand-watt smile then hugged her briefly and kissed her cheek a few times. Dahyun giggled and squirmed. “Thanks, baby~” He croaked, his voice hoarse. He knew there was nothing to worry. Tears filled his eyes, he was so damn happy, but they did not trickle down flushed cheeks. It was almost like there was an invisible barrier stopping them from exposing themselves. Ten’s vision blurred behind the veil of salty droplets. He wiped his runny nose on the sleeve of his plaid shirt and sniffed.

Seeing him, Dahyun reached out and slapped his arm.

“Awh,” Ten cried out, wincing. He cradled his arm. He stared at his girlfriend in shock and confusion. “What was that for?”

“Use a tissue! That’s disgusting!”

He grabbed some tissue, rubbed his face violently into a tissue. Wiping his nose, he crumbled the tissue up and tossed it into her lap. Dahyun shrieked in frightened surprise. His face split into a grin, and then he burst out laughing, throwing his head back as his shoulders shook with helpless peals of laughter. Dahyun punched his arm, earning his yelp and he cleared his throat.

She gave him a strange look. “You are so...,”

“…disgusting, if you ask me,” He scoffed a wobbly voice. Ten smirked smugly at the stunned girlfriend, running a hand over her cheek. He gave her a quick peck on her adorable pouting lips as he leaned forward to put on and fastened her seatbelt. Then he tossed his hands over his head and smiled.

“Well, lets go to beaaach!!!” came a loud his regular cheerful voice. Dahyun shook her head, can’t help but she laughed at his excitement.

“Let’s goooooo~” Dahyun squealed and clapped her hands, bouncing in her seat. Still chuckling, Ten studied his beautiful girlfriend and noticed for the thousandth time just how adorably cute she was that he could’ve died. Then he started back up the car and pulled away from the curb into the road.

Settling herself in the passenger seat, Dahyun grabbed a neck pillow and placed it around her neck. She shut her eyes and humming happily. Ten smiled at the sight. He felt great, it seemed he would finally fufill the real dream he had.

Saturday morning in June, the sun was shinning brightly, the sky were clearly blue. The most amazingly blue that he had ever seen.

It was a beautiful day, a perfect day.

======================================================================================

 

 

======================================================================================

Well, after 7months I’m back with a long and dull chapter~ ^_^ worths 37148 characters, 8122 words.

Ps: I know nothing about Moving Brands and London though lol.

Pps: My personal beliefs have absolutely nothing to do with Ten and Dahyun's beliefs on this fic. I’m sorry if any of this may have gotten the wrong information and for that I apologize. I don’t mean to offend anyone.

Ppps: a lame chapter ahead. Something is up. I honestly don't think someone is gonna read this fic anyways~~

-Love and Peace, Airin-

I love them.