vii.

Privileged
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

vii. the seventh step

If there was anything that Jongin admired about Lay, it was his skill to freestyle.

As soon as the beat pounded, absorbing it through his limbs and letting it control his body was like second nature to him. Jongin had witnessed this magic many times before, and he was good. Really good. So when he strode over to Gong Minji and danced with her, he almost believed it.

God knows how they ended up there, enthralling the class with their performance. It stumped Jongin beyond comprehension. Whatever the explanation was, he was bristling at the end of it.

When the class dispersed, Jongin remained quiet. Lay didn’t seem to notice and dived straight into the topic of the group performance, saying that the two of them should be enough for it. Of course, he had no complaints because they’ve always worked together.

However, as Lay continued to ramble on, Jongin was getting impatient—his friend did not seem like he was going to explain that unexpected performance with Gong Minji anytime soon and he was dying to find out how that came to be. Before he could bring it up himself, Lay was summoned by their teacher.

What ensued later reminded him of a similar discussion a month ago and just like that, Gong Minji was shoved back into his face. Jongin realised it couldn’t get any worse but he was wrong, his mood plummeting completely as Lay and Minji interacted in front of him.

“…this is the third time, I think?”

Not the first time, but the third?

More questions piled on top of each other until Jongin had enough.

“It was a lie, wasn’t it? You two never worked together on that routine.”

He couldn’t hide the edge in his tone.

The other two froze as if finally noticing his presence there. Lay ended up speaking first.

“What makes you think so?”

It was a pretty bold claim but Jongin wasn’t on the top either for no reason. What made him good is that he saw beyond a simple movement. He understood the subtleties in dancing and with this, he perfected each move. His hawk-like eyes had definitely picked up the movements that betrayed their synchronisations.

The thing was if it were anyone else, he would’ve overlooked it but these two were too good to make such errors.

Jongin studied his hyung closely, seeing nothing on his face that confirmed his suspicion. In fact, Lay seemed just a tint curious but calmly so that it annoyed him. He had to remember Lay’s laidback attitude.

“Do you really want me to explain why I think that?”

A smile broke across Lay’s lips. “Why not? I’m curious.”

Frowning, Jongin took a second to assess the girl next to him. Avoiding his eyes, as usual, he barely caught the sight of her pale face. Unfortunately, Gong Minji was not as composed as Lay and that was enough for him. Seizing the chance, he turned to her but she hovered away just as fast.

“I have to go,” she exhaled quickly.

She would’ve gotten away if it weren’t for a voice that stopped her.

Jongin found himself mirroring the same expression as her. One that was clearly surprised at the amused laugh that possessed Lay at that moment. “Hold your horses, we need to get in contact first. We’re going to have to meet up over the break, are we not?”

A little bit flustered, Minji reluctantly whipped out her phone. As the two exchanged numbers, Jongin found himself scrutinising them more intently than ever. When Lay let her go, his mood did not get any better.

“Jongin-ah,” Lay called playfully as they walked out of the studio. “What’s with the expression, huh?”

The sound of his real name softened the harsh lines on his face. Just a bit. Unable to reply, he just sighed.

Lay clamped his shoulder. “Okay, okay, I get it. I’m sorry. I didn’t tell you anything and you were confused right? I was just helping her out.”

“So what I said was right,” Lay did not deny his allegation. “But why?”

Lay did not even hesitate. “Why not?”

“You lied to our teacher, hyung. You lied to everyone,” Jongin couldn’t help but insist irritably. “Why? Why for her? Since when would you risk something like that for anyone? I doubt you would even do that for me—”

“Wait, what?”

“—and her of all people,” he finished with a faint sneer.

Lay, who was slightly ahead of him stopped in his tracks, prompting Jongin to do the same. The older male turned to him with a rather serious look on his face. It was a rare sight as he preferred to be completely blank if smiling wasn’t an option.

“That’s enough, Kai.”

Jongin did not expect the sudden change. Then, he just became annoyed. There was no doubt about it now, he was defending her. His friend was taking her side and she was supposed to be his rival. Lay was supposed to be supporting him, not her!

“Since when have you been on her side?” He was barely containing the emotions b inside him. He felt betrayed.

Lay shook his head at him, incredulous. “What sides? There are no sides, Kai.”

“And since did you have anything to do with her? Because apparently, you’re close enough to perform together. And you even talked to her more than once already.” Jongin’s scowl turned deeper and deeper with each claim.

Something akin to guilt flashed across Lay’s face. He had always been too kind for his own good.

“Okay, I’m sorry. I should’ve told you but it slipped off my mind. Are you happy now?”

Jongin suddenly feeling like a brat. He looked away.

“I…Me too. Sorry, I was just shocked.”

Ever the patient and most understanding person ever, that was enough for Lay as he brightened up again and launched himself onto Jongin like a doting older brother. The younger felt his grumpiness start to ease.

“Hey, don’t you start going mushy on me!” Jongin warned hotly but the other wasn’t listening.

“Says the jealous one.”

“I’m not!”

Jongin didn’t exactly get the answers he wanted that day. Instead, he got treated to lunch as a form of an apology from Lay. Knowing it was useless to pursue the topic, he gave in for now and indulged himself with the free food instead. He already forgave Lay, but it did not stop him from wondering how his relationship with Gong Minji came to be.

 

 

“How was your math exam?” Minyoung questioned, munching on a bag of cookies.

Minji had come down just a few moments ago, dumping her bag on the barstool next to her. One of the kitchen maids went up to her as she sat down, asking if she wanted her breakfast brought to her from the dining table.

Minji didn’t understand why they kept putting it there when they knew her and Minyoung only ate there if their parents were present. They normally weren’t so the sisters ate on the island counter in the kitchen instead.

“I think I did okay.” A plate of western style breakfast was placed in front of her, still emitting a delicious aroma. She dug in as soon as the maid left.

“I’m sure you did more than okay. You’ve been studying so hard in your room all this time. You only came out to attend your dance class.”

Minji slowed her chewing, remembering what happened in class and the text message she received from Lay last night. “Yeah, well, I have to go today as well.”

Her older sister raised a brow at this. “I thought your holidays are starting? Are you going to practice during the winter break too?”

She nodded, shovelling a piece of egg in .

“Wow. Well, remember, holidays may have started but you still got exams left to do. How many more to go?”

Minji wagged a finger as she took a sip of her tea with her other hand. The warmth soothed . She swore she was developing a cold lately with the headaches she got last night. Not to mention feeling a tad too warm under the covers.

“One more? Good luck then, sis. Don’t stress yourself out, don’t go to practice when you need to study. Prioritise your exams first, dance after.”

Her mother said the same thing to her last week, reminding her of the importance of her results as always. Minji knew what was expected of her, it was the same . Nonetheless, this time she couldn’t simply neglect her dancing. Especially when Lay stuck up for her this time. That won’t happen again.

“Yeah, I know. I will.” She hated lying to Minyoung.

After a few more minutes of small chatter, Minji slid off the barstool and snatched her bag. She tried not to show how heavier it was than usual, a couple of her textbooks inside. She planned to stay behind today and fit in whatever studying she can after practice.

Not only did she not have much time left to revise, but she also wanted to deliberately miss dinner as well. As if knowing these thoughts, Minyoung called her out before she was able to step out of the kitchen.

“Min,” she started softly and cautiously. “Father wants to speak to you tonight. Try to get home in time. You already missed last time, you know he is rarely home because of work.”

“Why?” Minji asked with a tight chest. She had a hunch, remembering what Minyoung went through.

The older girl refused her gaze. “It’s important, Min. You know that. If Father summons you, you must do what he says.” The grim look Minyoung adorned strengthened Minji’s suspicions and she felt slightly ill.

“Okay, I’ll try,” she lied once more.

Not yet. Minji wasn’t ready.

 

 

It was a predictably awkward first meeting for their group performance.

They sat together in a circle on the floor, trying to brainstorm a concept to work on. Lay was sprawled across the floor while Minji and Jongin were stiff as a board. Naturally, the two refused to even look at each other. Lay hadn’t said anything about that yet treating the two normally.

Lunch was already over and they still haven’t thought of anything. They’ve been at it for almost an hour, filling the room with awkward coughs and the minuscule sounds of every shift they made. Whatever patience they had eventually fizzled out into nothing. Jongin combusted first.

“I’m hungry. I’m done—”

“No way, we don’t deserve lunch when we haven’t thought of what to do. Not one single idea!” Lay rebuked immediately.

Even though Minji felt the same as Jongin, she also agreed with Lay. They needed some kind of progression. She cleared .

“Well, you know this is hard. We don’t even know each other’s preferences and stuff. And how will we know what suits us a team?

“Lay and I already know each other’s style actually,” Jongin inserted with a mutter. The girl could only look at him. He was still trying to show her how much he didn’t want her here.

“That’s true,” Lay agreed with a nod as if he just realised that. Minji wondered if he knew of Jongin’s underlying intent or chose to ignore it. Then from out of the blue, he clicked his fingers. “That’s it.”

The other two looked at him with furrowed brows. Lay grinned, turning to Minji.

“You should dance for us. Let’s see what you can do—kind of like an audition!”

Jongin groaned. “We’ve seen her dance before. Hello? We’re in the same class.”

“Yeah, but this time, I want her to show us everything she’s got so we can work this out between us,” Lay explained with a shrug.

It was a plausible idea and certainly better than nothing so Minji agreed. She danced to a few tracks from her phone, all ranging from contemporary to hip-hop and urban. Some were old and some were new. The boys probably recognised some of them from their past evaluations.

“Stop.”

Her feet stumbled to a halt, just after executing a spin. She almost lost balance at the unexpected disruption, though admittedly, she had already been failing that rotation beforehand.

Apparently, Jongin picked it up. “You didn’t do the spin properly. Your back wasn’t straight enough that’s why you almost lost control.”

She had to bite the inside her cheek, cursing his acute vision. It was true but only because the jitters were getting to her for some reason. Awkwardness ensued until Lay imposed with a comment of his own.

“It’s fine. We’re not here to lecture her.”

Jongin persisted, however. “No, if she can’t even do that properly, then she’s no good to us.” He turned to her again almost condescendingly. “Again. Just the spin.”

Inhaling slowly through her nose, she tried not to let him get to her. Surely, he was just picking on her. Fine, she’ll prove herself if she must. Emptying her mind, she adjusted her form. Just as she pushed herself into another turn, she caught it. That slight quirk on Jongin’s lips.

Before she knew it, her poise failed her and she spun too fast. Heart hammering in her chest, she hurled him a glare. And still, he had the same expression on his face.

“Something wrong?” he dared to ask. “This is basic stuff, Gong Minji.”

“Let me do it again,” was all she managed to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter