xxvii.

Privileged
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

the twenty-seventh step

Fluttering with excitement, today would mark the first time Minji was to attend Seonu again and that only meant one thing; her long-awaited reunion with Jongin.

Entering the studio, she was ready to throw herself back into his arms again when she managed to stop herself in time. What greeted her in there slowed her feet into a complete halt. Jongin was there, alright, but he refused to meet her gaze. That alone was enough for Minji to conclude that something was very wrong.

“Oh, Minji-ah. You’re finally here.”

Her gaze only flew to Hyoyeon for a split second before a distracted ‘hello’ fell from her lips and she was back to Jongin, who still hadn’t moved an inch. Last night, he sounded fine on the phone, so what was this? Regardless, she was going to approach him when Hyoyeon interrupted.

“Alright, let’s get right into it then. Into position, please.”

To her surprise, Jongin had no qualms obeying and closed the distance. Contrary to the distant expression on his face, however, was the gentleness she was accustomed to; ebbing through the warmth of his touch. It threw her off. Unable to voice anything as the music began, Minji was forced to go along with it.

It was only at the end of the routine where she got her answer, her eyes barely peeking over Jongin’s arm to see a camcorder on a tripod in the back corner of the room. As if knowing this, lips brushed against her ear ever so clandestinely.

“They’re watching.”

Those words were enough to haunt her for the rest of the session.

Jongin left first, grabbing his bag and saying his farewells curtly. The guilt-ridden sigh that came afterwards confirmed her suspicions. She turned to Hyoyeon. Just as the door closed, their instructor went to the camera.

‘Minji-ah.” The red light from the camera finally died. “You understand what’s going on, don’t you?” She had an inkling to be honest but couldn’t find the strength to voice it. Hyoyeon continued. “Your parents made a special request.”

At that, Minji felt her nails dig into the soft flesh of her palms.

“They want to track your progress for the showcase,” she announced nervously. “So with each practice session, they want a video to see how you are doing.”

Even Hyoyeon must have known what a load of bull that was when she diligently avoided Minji’s eyes. The younger girl pursued her lips. Barely managing to grab her bag, she began for the door.

“Right,” Minji said as she crossed the room, flickering her eyes at another pair of black lens hanging up in the corner of the ceiling, “That’s why they also installed cameras in addition to the camcorder, right?”

Her tone was polite but its edge was sharp. Before her instructor could respond, Minji let the door slammed closed behind her.

 

 

Minji was probably fuming, Jongin thought, because so was he.

As soon as he arrived in Seoul and called her last night, he had been bristling with an anticipation that carried over the next day. That was until a serious ‘talk’ with Hyoyeon this morning brought his world crashing down.

“I don’t think I understand,” he had said, but Hyoyeon wasn’t convinced.

“Jongin-ah, please. I’m just doing what I was told.”

She was setting the camcorder on the tripod. She risked a glance at him and he could only guess what the resentment on his face must’ve looked like. 

“For your sake, I think it’s best we comply with Gongs, don’t you?”

He had scoffed, looking away with an aggressive hand carding through his hair. Comply? Hadn’t he already been doing that? Watching without a word as his girlfriend was forcibly plucked from his grasp. Now they were just pushing his buttons. Unfortunately, he knew better than to act out. Minji wouldn’t forgive him.

A whine of the student lounge door pulled him out of angry pacing. A flash of the white top that his girlfriend wore during practice caught his eye. He strode over before he realised it.

She barely managed to gasp, “Jongin—” before he stole her waist and claimed . Needless to say, it was a passionate reunion. Who could blame them when they’ve been torn apart and kept that way this whole time?

Fingers tugging and clothes chafing against skin, Minji pulled away with reddened lips he wouldn’t let go of so easily. Her lashes fluttered when he gave her one final peck that would bring the end to his deprivation.

“I missed you.”

He wondered if it was the lack of breath or the longing that hoarsened his voice. Minji just his cheek reassuringly.

“I missed you too.”

They fell into a tight embrace. After practice, of course, he didn’t leave. Instead, he went straight to the student lounge and texted her to meet him here. After not seeing each for so long, he wouldn’t leave their reunion to end like that.

“This place doesn’t have cameras, does it?” Minji mumbled against his shirt and he pulled away with a clenched jaw. 

“I checked and there’s none,” he answered. “But this is ridiculous. I’m not that surprised by your family anymore but Seonu? I just—how could they just agree to this?”

Jongin was aware of her family’s power; of what they could do from what Minji has told him but to this extent? Wasn’t this violating some kind of privacy rule of the academy? To install cameras just to keep a trained eye on their daughter. It was excessively disturbing.

“Don’t you remember?” She reminded him quietly. “The academy’s probably forever in our debt.”

“Enough that they would obey whatever your family says?” Jongin said and Minji’s eyes darted to the floor.

“I guess.”

He huffed a sigh, his disapproval budding into anger as he thought back to everything they’ve endured. A part of him hated it, especially when he knew what these lengths were for. It made a part of him coil in guilt.

“I don’t see the point of this. Why don’t they just kick me out?”

Minji fiercely shook her head. “Because you’re going to dance in the showcase with me, Jongin.”

“But this is ed up,” he pointed out. “They don’t even confiscate your phone. They’re still letting you see me even if it’s within these walls. Hell, they’re even allowing you to dance the showcase with me. It just doesn’t make sense.”

A fleeting sadness tinted Minji’s eyes before she took hold of his face and smiled. It oozed so much warmth and love that it made him forget everything then. He placed his hands over her own.

“All that matters is that I’ll be dancing with you,” she professed.

Jongin couldn’t help but yield; his anger, resent and doubts receding from his mind until it was only filled with her. Only she could soothe him like this—even if she was the one suffering the most. It pained him so much that all he could was go with everything because that was all that she wanted. His trust.

They locked into another embrace, cherishing what little time they had. Content enough to sink into each other’s warmth, each second was savoured like an evanescent sunset. And just like the setting sun, nothing lasted forever.

“I should probably go,” Minji announced against his chest. Leaving him again, parting in such a way with their futures uncertain, it caused him to burrow in the crook of her neck, breathing in deeply. Still, Jongin wouldn’t argue.

“Alright.” He finally let her slink away. “Make sure you call me tonight.”

Minji nodded. “What will you do now?”

“Work,” he sighed. “How about you?”

Hesitation averted her gaze and it made Jongin frown. Seeing this, Minji took hold of his hand. She wound their fingers together. 

“I’m going to see Yixing.”

Jongin was barely aware of his other hand balling at his side. When he did, he willed it to loosen. He returned her affectionate grip.

“Right.” Minji beamed at his efforts. “You’re going to see him today?”

“Mhm, I’ll go to his campus and try my luck.”

He already knew of her plans from their phone conversations but it didn’t make this any easier. Jongin trusted her and he didn’t hate Lay. Not really. And Minji helped him with that. Still, their friendship was on rocky waters and he doesn’t whether the storm will pass—if it ever will.

Surrendering to the emotions once more, he was going to draw her back to him when he caught sight of something across the room. He paused. 

“Jongin?”

He hadn’t realised what he was doing until he was in front of the vending machine. Making a purchase he knew all too well, the machine whined loudly and then, a bottle was clattering at the bottom. He took it out, running his eyes over the familiar design.

“Thirsty?” Minji’s voice brought him out of his trance. Instead of responding, he slowly handed her the bottle. She crumpled her brows at him. “But isn’t this your favourite?”

“Yeah.” He mirrored her expression. He felt as uncertain as she was. “But sometimes, he likes it too.”

 

 

It was plain to see that Minji’s world was now upturned into a state of uncertainty.

While her engagement loomed in the background, the leash her family bound her in was tighter than it had ever been. It reduced hope into a tiny flame in a windy desert and yet Minji was still clinging to it. That light born out of everything she went through so far, only to grow brighter during her trip with Jongin, became her only means of strength. Especially now that the obstacles kept coming.

Running away simply wasn’t an option anymore. Not when there were many things to fix.

Things to repair.

“Minji?”

She had been waiting, hand twiddling with the strap of her bag as students flooded out in streams. Not too far was her chauffeur, keeping a close eye on her until he arrived.

“Yixing.” His surprise was fleeting on his face until it vanished. His guards rose again. “You haven’t kept in touch.”

She faced her fiancé squarely and he took a couple of steps forward before stopping at a distance. A little too far from he usually have done but it was better than nothing.

“Uni has kept me busy,” Lay replied.

The smile she donned fell a little at the brisk response. “Of course.”

She associated his withdrawal to her act of betrayal that she actually forgot about his other commitments. It was embarrassing, really—just at how much she neglected him. “Did you just finish now?”

His lips thinned. “Yeah.”

“So, would it be okay if you go somewhere with me?’ The invitation was awkward on her tongue. “Like, right now?”

Their positions have reversed. No longer was she the one that was pursued, she was doing the pursuing. And yet it was only right. Lay must’ve noticed the same thing when he stared at her for what seemed like eons. A sigh tumbled from his lips and it had Minji on her toes.

It wasn’t as if she had a grand plan up her sleeves, only a goal she swore to reach. Even if Lay would make this hard for her as she had done for him in the past, then Minji was ready for a taste of her own medicine. No matter how bitter it tasted.

“I’m sorry, but I have plans.”

And it bitter it really was. Lay was lying and they both knew it. Stung, Minji only took his rejection in with a smile.

“Okay, maybe next time.”

Lay picked his feet up again and resumed on his way to the car park. Minji felt her confidence plummet. Their arms only brushed past each other in the slightest of all contact and yet the devastation was real; a tremor shaking her to the marrow in her bones.

Resigning to her defeat, she was about to leave when she remembered the bottle in her hands.

“Yixing, wait!”

He didn’t stop, not fast enough anyway that Minji chased after him. Without permission, she seized his hand and slipped the bottle into his grip. The audacity must’ve caught him off guard as he whipped his head to look at her—and his expression crumbled.

Wordlessly, he stared at the item she forced on him.

Whatever meaning that the bottle held, Minji had no idea. Of why Jongin decided to buy it for him. Of why Lay’s eyes hardened at the sight in an attempt to reel his expressions under control.

All she knew was the memory of the first time they talked in the academy and how the bottle had meant to be for Jongin.

“Do you like vitamin water?” Lay had asked and Minji remembered thinking how infuriating his laid-back smile was. She also remembered how she responded not so nicely.

“Please.” Her eyes were glued to the ground. “Keep it.”

“Did you buy this?” His voice was much softer than it ever been in a while. It sent an unsuspecting rush over her. It had been too long since she heard it stripped down from the ice he encased it with.

“No. Jongin did.”

There was a shallow intake of breath.

“I see.”

Minji lingered until she decided this was enough. At least, she managed to fulfil Jongin’s favour. She drew a step back.

“Wait.” She spun back just as fast and watched him nod at her chauffeur. Then, he turned to her, the cold aura around him less stifling. “I’ll drop you home.”

 

 

This car ride was some

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter