xiv.

Privileged
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

da-ge - older brother

xiv.  the fourteenth step

Pouring the last trace of the foamed milk into the mug, Jongin finished the latte he was working on and carried it with the strawberry iced tea he made prior. He walked out of the counter to deliver it.

“Took you long enough,” Amber said sweetly, accepting her iced tea before he placed the latte in front of the other woman in the table.

Krystal accepted her cup with a wrap of her hands. “Thanks, Kai.”

Not responding to either of them, he turned a curt heel back to the counter.

“Yah, where are you going?” he heard Amber call out.

He repressed a scowl before facing the table once more. “Work, Amber. Work.” He gave his supposedly co-worker a pointed look. “You know, what you should be doing.”

The girl snorted. “Oh, our diligent Kai. Of all days you wanna not slack off is when Krystal comes out of her way to visit us.”

Krystal chose this moment to look down, tracing the rim of her cup. The movement, subtle as it was, still caught his eye and he hated it. He hated it for the twinge of guilt it caused.

He his lips. “But what if a customer comes in? Who’s going to serve them?”

Amber readily folded her arms at him. “It’s that time of the day when business is slow. Lunch ended a while ago so can you like, chill out? You’re acting as if ten customers are going to fly in any second now.”

The last customer they had left was twenty minutes ago. The others that came in had only ordered some cakes and drinks for take-away. Krystal was the only customer that was actually sitting inside the café and they only had an hour or two left to spare before they closed.

“If someone comes in, one of us can serve them. We’re right next to the counter so just get your in here already.”

Jongin knew he lost this one and so with a few grudging steps, he slipped onto one of the spare seats on the table. “I swear, just because Minseok lets you off the hook all the time doesn’t mean you can abuse the power.”

The short-haired girl smirked. “It’s not my fault our place is known for excellent customer service—all thanks to me. Now imagine if you were all he had. You’d scare all the customers off with that expression of yours.”

Jongin scowled (again) at her. “At least I make better cups of coffee.”

“Yeah, and who taught you to use the machines to make the damn thing? Right, me. I’m technically your sunbae or did you forget?”

As the pair casually slipped into their fifth argument of the day, their only observer laughed and startled the two.

“You both haven’t changed,” Krystal said affectionately, causing Amber to roll her eyes and Jongin to accidently let his eyes wander to her. He had to look away just as fast.

There, in her smile was a familiarity he was accustomed to. A beauty that once rapt him since the first time he laid his eyes on her. A gentleness his naïve self sought and found, but if there’s anything that Krystal taught him, is that gentleness was a weakness and weaknesses make you liable to mistakes. Ones that can’t be fixed.

“Why do you have to make it sound like you haven’t seen us in ages?” Amber said teasingly, and Krystal frowned. Jongin along with her.

Amber probably didn’t realise how she saw both of them often, but never together. Before she could figure that out, Jongin got up from his seat.

“I’m going to get a drink.”

Succumbing to another moment of evasion, a bad habit turning worse, Jongin found himself brewing a strong cup of coffee. He could’ve gotten water, but for some reason he wanted something bitter. Something weak and neutral like water didn’t sit well with how he felt at the moment.

Returning to the table (because he knew Amber will literally kill him if he ran away and his shift won’t end until later), he sat down again to discover they moved onto a different topic. Phew.

“Ugh, how are you already brainstorming for your presentation topic? That’s like in 4 weeks’ time.” Amber looked disturbed.

“That’s not really far away, you dummy!” Krystal replied, before turning to him. “Welcome back.”

He merely grunted in reply, focusing on his own cup as the girls returned to their conversation. At some point, he missed the way Krystal was eyeing his drink. Before he knew it, sachets of sugar under her hand were being slid his way.

The grip on his mug tightened. “What are you doing?”

She paused, as if confused. “Oh, I thought you’d want some since…”

To anyone, it was something so small and insignificant yet it was anything but.

“You shouldn’t drink your coffee bitter anymore. Every time you take a sip and make a face, it stays that way the whole day.”

“W-what? What do you mean?”

“There’s a reason Amber calls you an old man, Kai!” She teased, ripping open a sugar sachet and pouring it into his brew without permission. She added a bit of milk as well. “Here, try this.”

He stared at the contents of his mug that now paled into a creamy brown. It was as if it never struck him that he could do what she just did. He just stuck to what he was used to. Cautiously, he took a sip under her scrutiny that made his heart stutter.

“Ahah!” She clapped her hands excitedly. “You liked it didn’t you!”

His cheeks warmed.

“Now if Amber could see you. She’d probably say you aged ten years younger,” she giggled and despite the fact that he should probably be offended, he was too bewitched at the sight before him. Captivated, he just ended up laughing with her.  

“Since,” Krystal began uncertainly. “When did you drink espresso?”

“Only a few months back,” Amber answered for her. “He asked me for an alternate for black coffee. Apparently it tastes weird after drinking it white for so long.”

Jongin took an agonising sip under Krystal’s stare. He wanted Amber to shut up, but then he thought, so what? Maybe then, she’ll get it—he broke that habit. He doesn’t drink his cup with sugar or milk anymore. Taking the sachets, he put it back inside the packet holder.

“My tastes changed.”

With that, he returned to his drink. He pretended he did not see her troubled face. Eventually Minseok, their young manager returned. He went off to an emergency errand after lunch and left Amber in charge.

“Hyung,” Jongin greeted from the counter. He had just came from kitchen after volunteering to wash the cups they used. Anything to get away from a certain person as usual.

“Jongin-ah. I see Amber’s been piling all the load on you again,” Minseok observed in amusement.

Behind the man, the said girl whined from the table she still sat with Krystal. “It was only just when Krystal came, I swear.”

The shameless grin she shot at their manager caused Jongin to shake his head. As expected, Minseok wouldn’t scold her. He doted on all his employees and especially his best one, Amber. He even knew Krystal.

“Well, I just hope you’re not giving away too much freebies,” he warned light-heartedly.

Krystal gave a smile at that. “Don’t worry oppa, I paid for it.”

When Minseok announced it was time to close, Amber was forced back into the work station with Jongin. The two cleaned the place for closing time. When they were released, Krystal was still waiting for them outside. Both of them were stunned, not expecting her to have been waiting. She usually went off first.

“Aww, Dduddungie! You didn’t have to!” Amber slung an arm over her friend.

Krystal tried to jokingly push her away. “Yeah, maybe I should’ve left.”

A few steps behind them was Jongin, who felt uneasy that Krystal was still here. Perhaps the fact that he went to Taemin’s last match gave her the idea that it was okay for her to be around him again. He was aware that not only Taemin has been giving him space but her as well.

As the two girls linked arms, Krystal caught his eye and he realised why she stayed behind. He looked away.

“Is Tae picking you up?” He heard Amber ask.

“I think he’s out with his hyungs right now.”

There was a dramatic gasp. “So Kai and I get to steal you for dinner?”

Typical of Amber to make plans without his consent, and usually, he never minded. But not this time.

“Actually, I just kind of wanted to go home if you guys don’t mind.”

His voice broke the two girls apart, who whirled back to face him. While Krystal seemed disappointed, Amber groaned.

“Oh c’mon, why’re you still being a party-pooper?”

Sure, he has been for a long time, but he had an actual reason this time.

“If you forgot, I did a performance today and went straight to work after. I literally got no rest.”

Krystal perked up at this. “Performance? Oh, at the academy?”

He was looking at his shoes but gave a nod.

Amber exhaled noisily. “Okay fine, I guess. You must be exhausted. Tell Lay and Minji hi for me next time.”

Next to her, something flickered across Krystal’s face. “Ah, the group thing. How’d it go?”

Jongin stuffed his hands into his pockets. “It was fine.”

“Well, I guess that’s that then,” Amber said, giving him the usual stink eye. “But next time Kim Jongin, prepare yourself because I will literally drag you.”

He barely heard Amber’s fiery declaration because he was already turning towards the opposite direction. If he had been paying attention, he would’ve noticed the pair of worried eyes that followed him. Including the sigh that came after it.

 

 

Now that the Academy recommenced, Minji’s final semester of her high school also begun. Though Minji viewed the timing of the group performance unlucky, she came to appreciate it now that she remembered her studies. The unspoken promise to do well had been ingrained into her brain since she was young but now, this is where it was all leading up to.

Before she would open her first textbook of the evening, Minyoung let herself into her room.

“How was the first week back?”

She looked up from book. “The usual.” School had always been the same for her, nothing rarely ever happened there because she talked to nobody. She listened, learned and took notes. That was it. The only good thing about it was that avoiding people she wanted to avoid.

“Back to revising, I see.” Minyoung eyed her messy desk with contempt. She never liked it when she got into her ‘study mode’.

“Well, yeah. I’m going to be graduating soon. I have to do best I’ve ever done.”

“Fine, fine.” Minyoung waved a hand. “But you promised me we’d go out. What happened to that?”

Minji couldn’t help a smile at her sister’s sulky tone. “Whenever you want to go, I’m up for it.”

Minyoung brightened up instantly that Minji knew she had been duped into playing right into her hands. Not that she minded, because she really did look forward to the idea. Gleefully, Minyoung left her room after announcing the day she desired and Minji sighed in defeat. Yup, she was played.

On Saturday morning, she was awaken by the maids at a surprisingly early hour reserved for weekdays. She was puzzled until Minyoung barged into her room already washed and in the process of putting make up on.

“Get up Min! We’re going to have breakfast at the Pancake House! I made reservations at eight so hurry, hurry!”

Immediately whisked into the shower and dressed into her favourite dress and sandals, Minji was in Minyoung’s car in less than hour. Her sister was humming a tune as she drove them to the breakfast place while Minji huffed in her seat.

“Geez, what’s your hurry?” She groaned. “I barely processed what just happened!”

“All you need to know is that I’m getting you pancakes. Aren’t you excited?”

She narrowed her eyes at Minyoung. “Oh, please. I’m not a little kid anymore!” She playfully retorted but her sister only laughed.

Once they arrived, they were ushered to a cosy corner. After making their orders, they immersed themselves into a conversation when the spare seat beside Minyoung was pulled back.

“Good morning my lovelies!” Their new company chirped.

“Bom!” They chorused, peering up to the long-haired beauty who sat down at their table. The last time Minji had seen her was when she picked her up with Minyoung from that party.

“Took you long enough,” Minyoung commented, staring at her friend with a quirked brow.

Bom began with a dramatic sigh. “My alarm must’ve forgotten to ring, but then again, who wakes so early on a Saturday?” She glared at Minyoung. Her face softened when she turned to Minji. “Long time no see Minji-ah.”

“It’s been a while.” Minji agreed. “What brings you here?”

“Why, to join you girls on this beautiful day of course! Well, Minyoungie actually invited me. Is that fine with you Mingkki?” She pouted, using a nickname Minji hadn’t heard in a while. She coined it ages ago when she used to visit them more often. Minyoung and Bom had been friends since high school but growing up, both women had become too busy for frequent catch-ups.

“Of course not, unni.”

“Good, because I’m not leaving without a taste of these pancakes.” She announced with contagious grin.  

The morning became overloaded with sugar. Neglecting the existence of the savoury options, the women only focused on the sweet flavours. There was no regrets with the taste was so divine, she forgot all the worries at that moment. Beside her, the older girls chattered away.

“Glad to hear that, Minyoungie.” Bom stabbed a strawberry. “I haven’t seen Dae in ages. We should catch up together, all of us. I’ll even bring Seunghyun with me,” she finished with a bite of the fruit.  

“We should. Let’s turn it into a double date, what do you say?” Minyoung suggested animatedly.

“Sure!” Bom then turned to the maknae on the table. “And how about you Minji, would you like to tag along?”

“Uh. I won’t exactly have someone to bring.” She knew they were talking about their boyfriends and as if she would intrude on that. Whoever liked being a third wheel anyway?

“Oh, don’t tell me you’re still single?” Bom looked horrified. “I’ll never understand it…not with that bod.” Minji gaped. “I still remember that day when we went to the bathhouse and I saw a peek!”

“Yah, Park Bom! You’re still ing on my sister?”

“Sorry, the shock hasn’t worn off yet,” she said naughtily. “Dancing certainly has its perks, doesn’t it?” Minji’s face was pink at this point, but Bom didn’t seem to notice. “I don’t see how a man hadn’t laid their hands on her yet!”

For a split second, Jongin flashed in her head and she flushed to the roots of her hair. She grabbed a glass of water to cool herself. As Bom snickered at her reaction, Minyoung reprimanded the woman.

“That’s because I’m still here. As long as I’m around, not just an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter