► Out of the Ordinary

Oh My Delinquent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Twenty-Two: 

Out of the Ordinary

 

My eyelids began to twitch softly. I opened them slowly. My vision was blurry as my eyes wandered around the school library. Damn, I must have fallen asleep here. My gaze gradually shifted into focus after noticing the boy who was sitting next to me. I gently rubbed my eyes letting out a light groan.

 

“Ah crap, how long was I asleep for?” I muttered to myself. I lifted my head up from the opened textbook underneath me. “Why didn't you wake me up?”

 

Hanbin paused what he was doing and turned his head towards me. “You were asleep? I didn't even notice.” He gave me a slight chuckle. “Hul, what kind of tutor falls asleep during a session?”

 

I sighed deeply while sliding my hand through my hair to push my bangs away from my face. “Sorry, I didn't get to sleep much last night. I didn't expect to knock out like that.” I apologized. “, what time is it?”

 

I took out my phone and timed on the screen, revealing my embarrassing group selfie with Donghyuk and Yunhyeong. It was already 7:30 omg.

 

“I was asleep for two hours and you didn't notice that I was sleeping the whole time?!” I asked the boy beside me. He seemed to have noticed the wallpaper on my phone as he was eyeing it. I quickly turned the screen off and shoved my phone in my pocket.

 

Hanbin shrugged cluelessly as if nothing happened. “I was busy doing the work that you assigned me.” He replied, clearly emphasizing his hatred towards me for making him do math problems all night. “Which I finished by the way.” He put down the pencil in his hand and slid the white piece of paper over to me.

 

“Oh, good. Let me see…” I said observing his work. My eyes scanned through the paper, line for line to ensure that there were no errors. Surprisingly, Hanbin actually had really nice handwriting for a guy. I expected him to write like a loser who only knows how to tag graffiti on the walls and key cars. Even more surprisingly, he actually did all the problems I assigned him correct.

 

“Wow, you actually did everything right. I'm shocked.” I said in disbelief. “Good job!” I smiled. For some reason, I was actually happy that he did so well. Maybe it's because I taught him how to do it and I'm just satisfied with myself. Is this what it feels like to be a teacher? Probably.

 

“Is that supposed to be a compliment or an insult?” He glared at me.

 

“Both.” I interjected. “But anyway, you seem pretty good at math. You should be fine for the test.” I gave him a thumbs up.

 

“You're so corny.” He chuckled. “What's with the cringeworthy thumbs up?”

 

My proud and happy face vanished as I rolled my eyes at his comment. “I was trying to be nice and supportive but nevermind!” I replied turning my head away from him.

 

“Well since you seem to understand the material, I guess we're done here.” I said as I started to pack my books into my bag. “Ugh, but I still I have to help Bobby tomorrow. I'm going to shoot myself.” I complained.

 

“I'm gonna go drop off the time sheet in Park seonsaengnim’s mailbox and stop by my locker first so you don't have to wait up."

 

I got up from my chair and quickly filled out the mandatory time sheet that was assigned to us. Hanbin was beginning to pack up as well. “Okay, I'm off.” I announced as I exited the library.

 

After dropping off the time sheet, I headed over to my locker to put away the heavy textbooks in my bag. I didn't feel like hauling them on my back all the way back home. I proceeded to unload my bag and slipped it back on. “Much better.” I said to myself. My shoulders didn't feel like they were going break for once. I headed towards the exit and proceeded through the school doors, into the outside world. Unfortunately, it was already dark out. Did I really want to walk home alone in the dark again? It's not really that late out considering it's 8 o’ clock. Maybe if I power walk I should be fine…

 

I headed out the front gates of the school only to notice a dark figure leaning against the fence beside me. A rush of adrenaline soared through my body as I panicked at the sight. My heart literally dropped at that very moment.

 

“Took you long enough.” Hanbin complained walking up to me.

 

I took a deep sigh of relief and held onto my chest to calm down my poor heart. I squatted down onto the floor. “Jesus christ Hanbin, you scared the out of me!” I cried. “I thought I was going to die again.” I was struggling to catch my breath. “Why were you waiting for me? I said you didn't have to.”

 

He shrugged his shoulders. “We’re heading the same way aren't we? We might as well walk home together.” He stuffed his hands in his pockets. “Plus, it's already dark out.” He looked up into the air, observing the cool night sky.

 

“Good point. But now you're making me feel bad for making you wait.”

 

“If you feel bad then make it up to me and buy me something to eat.” He said slyly, heading off.

 

I stood there with a blank expression while my head followed him as he walked passed me.

 

“Huh?”

 

 

We walked in silence down the poorly lit road together. The dimmed streetlights flickered on and off occasionally. The cold night air surrounded us sending chills down my spine. Literally. I was freezing.

 

But anyway, there's something that has been on my mind. Is it just me or is Hanbin acting a little… strange today. Normally he’d be either cold and quiet or an annoying jerk. There's no in between. But today he's being a little more-- friendly, I guess you can say? I can't quite put my finger on it but it feels a bit off putting.

 

We soon arrived near a 24 hour convenience store. I walked up to the entrance holding onto the door knob.

 

“Aren't you coming?” I asked Hanbin as he stood there on the sidewalk unsure of what to do. “I thought you wanted something to eat.”

 

His lips curved into a half smile. “Right.” he nodded his head and proceeded into the store after me. As I opened the door, I was greeted with a warm and heated environment. I was already in a good mood because of it. I rubbed my arms to help heat them up as I walked around to the cup ramen section.

 

“Can you go save us seats? I'll get food.” I asked Hanbin, pointing to the stools behind the counter table and glass window. Surprisingly, he was being obedient and agreed without a word. I picked out two jumbo sized cup ramen off of the shelf, a pack of kimchi and because they had it in stock, a box of chococones. After paying for everything, I added hot water to both cups of ramen and joined Hanbin at the counter where he was patiently waiting for me.

 

“Here you go.” I said handing the cup to him.

 

“Thanks.” He grabbed it from my hand and carefully set it down on the counter top.

 

Okay, this is getting weird. He is being way too passive today. It's not normal.

 

I took out my phone and used the timer to indicate when three minutes was up since it takes three minutes for ramen to cook. Again, I unintentionally ended up revealing my embarrassing wallpaper. I hope he didn't notice.

 

“Your boyfriend seems like a cool guy.” Hanbin said suddenly, startling me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter