A Transformation

Astela

Daehyun, Youngjae, Himchan, and the newly arrived Yongguk, were all surrounding Zelo who was lying on his bed asleep.

“I hope he gets well soon.”

Himchan thought aloud.

“We all do.”

Said Yongguk.

“We heard about your work with the orphan children of Astela.”

Youngjae told him.

“That’s a really good cause; to help them have a new and safe home.”

Daehyun added.

“It was all I could do.”

Yongguk said humbly. Then he looked at Himchan.

“I have been living a new life on Earth… It is very different from here… but I like it.”

Himchan told them.

They stayed like that in silence for a moment when finally Zelo slowly began to open his eyes.

“How are you feeling Zelo?”

Daehyun asked immediately.

The elf looked at his hands. He was feeling different.

“I’m… losing my powers.”

“What do you mean?”

Himchan asked anxious.

“I think my time in Astela is coming to an end.”

“But I though elves were immortal.”

Youngae pointed out.

“We don’t die like humans do, but rather we move on to…”

Then Zelo noticed Yongguk’s presence.

“You came.”

The elf smiled.

“I had to come see Himchan, and you...”

“Are you happy with the choice you made?”

Zelo asked Yongguk hoping to hear that he was happy now.

“I live at peace with myself.”

Zelo nodded and closed his eyes.

“Wait!”

Himchan exclaimed, but Zelo just fell asleep again.

Himchan hit the ice wall behind him.

“Why doesn’t anything go according to plan?”

“Calm down Himchan, getting angry won’t solve anything”

Yongguk told him.

“How you’ve changed…”

Himchan felt like he didn’t know his friend anymore, even though he was right.

Hours later Daehyun and Youngjae were sleeping together on a chair, and Himchan had gone for a walk to clear up his mind. Yongguk was standing beside a sleeping Zelo.

“The reason I came back…"

Yongguk whispered holding the elf’s right hand.

"Was to tell you that... I learned about love… thanks to you…”

That said he kissed the young elf’s hand.

 

Himchan was walking by the castle’s winter garden thinking about Jongup when Jongup himself appeared in front of him. No, it couldn’t be… or could it?

“Jongup?”

The boy wasn't able to answer him since it was just his spiritual projection.

“You’re here! I’m sorry, I can’t come back now, Zelo lost his power… but I’ll find a way. We’ll be together again, soon.”

Jongup extended his hand and Himchan tried to hold it but it was just made of air.

 

Daehyun opened his eyes. He was looking at Youngjae sleeping when he noticed his wand was shining on the table next to them.

“Youngjae, look!”

He woke the other boy up.

When Youngjae touched his wand it gained a life of its own and started to shoot pink rays of light everywhere. They tried to take shelter behind the furniture while Yongguk put himself over Zelo, but it was too late as one of the rays had already struck the elf.

Then, Youngjae decided to jump and caught his wand in the air but the wand continued to aim at Zelo by its own will and the elf was now floating near the ceiling involved by a pink light.

Daehyun tried to help Youngjae get hold of the wand and then Yongguk joined them. They were trying to control it when suddenly it stopped, making Zelo fall back on his bed.

Yongguk ran to see if Zelo was ok. He was opening his eyes.

“Yongguk…”

Zelo said quickly getting up. He looked better than ever, and the others noticed he had no longer his big pointy elf ears but instead regular round human ones now.

“I’m free.”

Zelo said smling.

“You’re… human!”

Yongguk realized when suddenly the ice castle disappeared altogether in front of their eyes and they were now standing on the cold snow.

“What happened?”

Himchan asked joining them together with Jongup’s spiritual projection.

“I think Youngjae’s wand transformed Zelo into a man!”

Daehyun tried to explain.

“I think my magic is all gone, but I feel like a wight was lifted off my shoulders.”

Said Zelo.

“Then… we can never be together again?”

Himchan asked seeing Jongup’s spiritual projection disappear.