░ Chapter 19 ░

►► The Play House: Dark Knights & Angels ◄◄

Author Note: Hey look an update and it's not three months later :'D Last update we were left gearing up for the re-opening of the gallery. The Demons promised to behave and to make sure nothing happened that would disrupt the evening. Did they keep to their promise? Let's find out on this chapter of The Play House: Dark Knights and Angels m(_ _)m Shall we play?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“It is hard to believe that that is the same girl whom when I first met her was dancing on the fine line of sane and sanity”
“Well I think her sanity is still up for debate Brother”

Jaewhan snickers into his wine glass under Wonshik’s agreeing smile. He watched Jeanne across the room with dark twinkling eyes filled with pride and adoration.

The same young woman who was once but a husk of an individual was now fully alive for the first time since he has known her.

The air about her was completely different in this environment than what she was normally. Normally shy, bashful, excited, curious, precious, in this moment she was changed.

Jeanne was regal like and dignified as her Grand Father raised her. A real Queen. Undoubtedly used to these posh parties and gatherings.

Curtsying and bowing to the wealthy guests, covering daintily as she laughed, constantly composed and relaxed she was absolutely breath taking.

Leading another small group on a tour personally Jeanne caught Wonshik’s eye and blushed lightly from his adoring and unwavering gaze.

She gave him a small wave and disappeared with Sanghyuk following behind her like a shadow.

Taekwoon and Hongbin were near the area where the music was set up surrounded by women none the less enraptured by their unearthly beauty.

The musicians all had long silky hair and were dressed in velvet dark colored suits. All males.

Skilled at their own designated instruments the Vampire Demon could not help but actually applaud their talent.

The conductor with the snow white hair notices Taekwoon’s constant attunement and nodded gratefully as he lead the band to a crascendo.

Hongbin on the other hand was more interested in taking photos but was actively avoiding press photographers.

It would not be ideal to have his photo taken and shock others that he did not appear on film.

His voice was uncharacteristically soft spoken as he asked permission to snap pictures.

He’d keep his true mischievous self hidden for he promised his Mistress not to cause trouble.

Hakyeon was off on the other side of the gallery enchanting and charming guests to no ends in his black and emerald suit that matched his brothers.

His laugh was infectious and heard throughout the gallery.

He was always the life of the party in the Demon Realm and it was no difference here as he had already memorized the names and faces of every attendee including the white coated caterers.

Though behaving themselves and acting as humans would the Demons could not shake the feeling of nostalgia suffocating them like a vice on their necks.

The music, the foot steps, the scents and sounds, they were damned sure it was not their first time here.

“Hey Sanghyuk”

From the far wall away from guests observing the art work Jeanne shyly nudged Hyuk softly for his attention.

“Yes Mistress?”
“Is it strange that I have this over whelming urge to run into the main hall and put my ear to the floor?”
“Heh?”

Unfolding his hands in front of him the Demon looked down at Jeanne with the most adorable expression of curiosity.

It was baffling how one moment Sanghyuk could look completely manly with his sharp facial features and gaze but then the next moment he looked like a precious child. Jeanne giggles.

“I am not kidding. When I was younger through the years I would always put my ear to the floor in the main gallery. Please don’t laugh but I think I heard voices from the basement.”

Sanghyuk purrs from the warm look on his Mistress’ face as she recalls fond memories.

She told the story perfectly painting a vivid picture in his head along with using her hand gestures to exaggerate her words making him laugh.

“Then one day my Grand Father joins me and as I am distressed at the fact I can no longer hear the voices down below he tells me…”
“Perhaps they’re waiting for you to say hello first….”

The two snap their heads up looking at each other with evident confusion. Jeanne frowns.

“Have I told you this story already? How did you know he said that?”
“I…I am not sure. It just feels very familiar”
“Strange”
“Strange indeed”

Jeanne is pulled from her thoughts as an older slender woman approaches.

Her hair is a short wispy bob of onyx, her gown is sleeveless and black sequined with a faux fur shawl.

The Emerald eyed girl sees the woman has her eyes locked on Sanghyuk so she subconsciously takes a step closer to his side making the Demon smirk.

“Jeanne Noir Demetrus back from the dead. A pleasure as always.”
“Of course it has been a long while. Has anything caught your eye?”
“Actually-”

The older woman runs her eyes up and down the Demon’s form making Jeanne feel slightly uncomfortable.

Sanghyuk smiles handsomely taking the woman’s hand and kissing her knuckles.

“Was it the oil painting of the bridge that caught your attention? Or perhaps the pastel sky? Both beautiful pieces that would add a bit of flair to any home it dawned wouldn’t you say?”

The older woman is smitten and eating out of Hyuk’s hands as he coaxes her to make purchases when she initially came here not planning to buy anything at all.

Not because she did not find anything she liked but just to spite the young Demetrus Artist.

Jealous of her talent and beauty the woman came to taunt and demean but ended up buying out the entire river collection because of Hyuk’s smooth and sweet words.

Wonshik pauses at the main door as he‘s greeting guests.

“Are you lost? You seem to be in the wrong Realm.”
“I could be asking you the same question”
“Good evening Mr. Kim”

Mari holding onto Jinyoung’s arm curtsied in her lavender ball gown and Wonshik in turn bowed respectfully.

Her hair was curled to perfection and adorned with a beautiful crystal butterfly that sparkled in the light.

Jinyoung wore an all black attire of various textures. He ran his fingers through his slicked back hair his eyes flashing gold teasing the Berserker Demon who‘s own eyes buzzed softly.

Behind them was his constant Marionette companion.

A tall woman dressed impeccably in an immaculate one piece pant suit with pinstripes, her eyes flashing as her Master’s had.

Sensing the unexpected Demonic guest the coven quickly gathered to investigate. Hakyeon smirked.

“My my Mari I pegged you above adultery and unfaithfulness. Where’s your mutt?”

Jinyoung whistled and shook his head.

“I would not provoke her Hakyeon”

Mari narrowed her eyes and gave him an icy cool smile.

“My husband Chanyeol is watching our children. I heard of Jeanne’s gallery reopening from Chrysalis and I do love a good art show. Master Jinyoung was kind enough to me.”
“And your Master Mark was okay with that?”

The human doll’s eyes glowed blue along with the butterfly mark on her neck displaying she left the Demon Realm fully activated and capable of defending herself.

“Oh come now Jaewhan~ Scowling at me will not make me disappear”
“Last time I saw you you proposed the idea to dissect Jeanne”
“I was only kidding”
“No you weren’t”

Jaewhan points to his head making the other Demon chuckle. Hakyeon pulled his Brother back and took to Jinyoung’s side.

“Speaking of which have you all found out anything new about our dilemma”
“Jeanne is not a dilemma”

Taekwoon speaks up softly and Jinyoung laughs and teasingly points at the collar around his neck.

“You too Taekwoon? My she is quite the interesting specimen.”
“Speaking of which where is Jeanne? You all seem to have things to discuss so I’ll take my leave”
“I shall you around my Lady”
“Why thank you Hongbin”

Mari bows to Jinyoung as she switches arms and clings to Hongbin.

Jinyoung gives Hongbin a warning about Mari’s safety and the other Demon cannot help but to laugh. Who’s safety is he more concerned for hers or his own?

She gives Hakyeon one last icy glare before being whisked away by the fallen Angel. Jinyoung grabs a wine glass from a passing by caterer.

“Must you always ?”
“I tease all humans equally she should pay no mind.”

The Demons make their way outside minus Hongbin and Sanghyuk.

Beautifully lit inside and out the premises was wrapped around with twinkling fairy lights courtesy of Taekwoon.

White tables and chairs covered in velvet were scattered around green grass to accommodate for the guests who wanted time to sit and relax with mates and a good drink.

Jinyoung’s Marionette pulled out everyone’s chairs for them to sit in but instead of sitting herself she continued to stand guard behind her Master like a statue.

Jaewhan leaned over whispering into Wonshik’s ear.

“We’re not as stiff as that when Mistress orders us around are we?”

The Berserker shrugs and gives Jinyoung his full attention as does the rest of the coven.

“So did you all find anything?”

Under eyes filled with cool anticipation the Demon shrugs non-chalantly to tease.

“Personally I did not find anything”
“But”
“And why do you assume there is a ‘but’?”
“You’re really going to ask me that?”
“Stay out of my head Jaewhan”

Under the table Hakyeon kicks Jaewhan to silent him so Jinyoung can speak. Everyone falls silent looking at each other.

Wonshik begins to growl impatiently causing the guest to chuckle triumphantly. Always one for teasing this one.

“So personally I found nothing but sweet Karin scoured Jaebeom’s castle. She dug around every nook and cranny determined to find anything about that symbol on your chokers and alas her hard work paid off.”
“What took so long?”
“Patience is a virtue Hakyeon. Among Jaebeom’s literature which he used back when he first created the Puppeteer magic Karin found the symbol in the oldest book. It is a symbol representing Tobias.”

There was a sharp in take of breath around the table.

Tobias was said to be a direct descendant of the Devil. There was no God without a Devil.

He overlooked Hades, the original Hell that housed the flames where Demons were created from. This is the same Hell humans believed in.

Legend says he along with Hades were locked away by God for disturbing the balance of life thus creating the different Realms. One way into Hell and no way out.

But like humans and their religions the Realms all had their own versions of this tale.

Old Generation Demons believed he was wrongfully imprisoned while other magical creatures praised God’s work.

If you were to ask any creature in this day in age including Hakyeon’s coven about this matter they really could not give a rat’s about such an old tale.

Hakyeon rubs his eyes and sighs deeply.

“My Brothers’ are bound by the power of Ancient Hades? How is that possible?”
“Your guess is as good as mine. Any crucial information about Tobias or Hades was destroyed during the purge of long ago”
“I know my history Jinyoung I went to school with you”

Jinyoung shrugged finishing off his wine. He could see the Aura around his friends had darkened with the revelation of an Ancient Magic in work but personally he found the whole ordeal exciting.

Wonshik shakes his head not believing it.

“This is complete none sense. Not possible.”
“Like the fact that a mere human has bound you to her?”
“Then how the hell is Jeanne involved in all this exactly?”
“I am more interested in how you all are involved hahaha”

Hakyeon makes a cutting motion at his neck silencing Jinyoung. It was not a time for his jokes.

Moments later Sanghyuk blurs by with concern on his face. Taekwoon narrows his eyes.

“What is it Hyuk?”
“I sense Demons”

Jinyoung chuckles and raises a glass in acknowledgment but the youngest of the coven shakes his head.

“It’s not you. It’s a group and unfamiliar.”

Jaewhan rises from the table and rolls his shoulders eagerly.

“Well. Let us go greet these unfamiliar ‘guests.’ In private of course. I promised my Mistress I would not let anything dampen her evening so she could enjoy herself to her heart’s content.”

Mari prompted Hongbin to wait outside for her but he was highly reluctant to do so.

She was so used to his Casanova ways it was heart warming to see him so concerned for Jeanne who hid herself away in her studio moments ago looking gloomy.

“Jeanne? I’m coming in”
 
The young woman knocks softly and slips in through one of the doors entering the dark room lit by the moonlight.

“How precious”

Mari giggles softly as she takes a seat next to Jeanne on the floor who’s huddled into herself nibbling on Madeleines feeling crest fallen.

Jeanne offers her one politely and Mari smoothes out the wrinkles in her dress and accepts the confectionary.

“You know it’s rude for the Head of the House to leave her guests unattended.”

The Emerald eyed girl nods ashamed.

“I feel…like I did not do enough…”

Her feelings of jealousy were minor at first. She was appreciative of Sanghyuk coaxing his suitors to buy art work in return for his attention but it felt like cheating.

Cheating like how she allowed the Demons to hand out flyers in town to captivate and convince people to come to the reopening.

It felt like she cheated because most of the guests were here because of her Demon companions instead of her.

Sure they were all here now but what about when this night is over? Would people still come regularly? Would they actually appreciate the art instead of the men who were found here?

Was her art work sufficient? Were they as beautiful as her Grand Father’s work that the older folk initially came to see? Was this place still as magical as they remembered it to be?

Jeanne turns to Mari with an apologetic smile.

“I am sorry. You did not ask to hear any of this.”
“There’s no need to apologize. Friends listen to friends when they have troubles.”
“We’re….friends?”

Mari laughs her princess laugh, covering with her hand. Jeanne feels she really does resemble a Princess and she does not deserve a Princess for a friend.

“Of course we’re friends. Us humans living with Demons have to stick together haha. You did more than enough Jeanne. You went above and beyond. You reopened a marvelous gallery on your own and even created your own beautiful pieces. I do not kid that they are absolutely exquisite. I am blunt and tell the truth and this is the absolute truth. Outside everyone is saying the same thing. Even without the Demons this would still be the outcome. And this-”

She leans over clumsily grabbing another pastry and bites into it happily.

“Is really really good!”

She hums thoroughly pleased, something her Whorler husband did often and it seems the mannerism rubbed off on Mari.

Feeling enlightened Jeanne laughs but it’s cut short and Mari drops her food to the floor in shock.

Outside the doors leading to the forest giant grizzly beasts are seen fighting each other dawned in armor and large rugged weapons.

Mari blurs to the door and throws it open but as it’s opened the girls gasp. Everything disappeared.

Outside there is nothing but the night and not a single Demon in sight.

Closing the door again they are baffled they once again see the large beasts fighting each other, one she recognizes as Wonshik.

Jeanne runs to the glass and calls his name worriedly.

One of his opponents takes notice of the girls and charges straight for the door. Mari covers Jeanne as they anticipate the worse but it doesn’t arrive.

They see the large creature thrashing against the door but on their side it does not move at all.

Wonshik puts the other Berserker in a head lock and drags him away.

Out from the side a phased Hakyeon could be seen dragging two more Demons back into the forest following Wonshik.

And it seems the last of the Berserker coven are running for their lives as they are chased by a gruesome looking Sanghyuk holding his head in his hands threatening them.

“I’m…very confused”

“Sorry Jeanne this would be my doing”

The two turn and greet Jinyoung who had entered the room undetected and enjoying the lost expressions on the women’s faces.

Mari bows and Jeanne feels the need to follow suit. The girl blurs to his side and holds onto his arm.

“What’s going on Master Jinyoung?”
“Seems those lot were the coven that had attacked Wonshik before causing him to drag himself through the pond portal in the forest half dead.”

Jeanne gasps and looks outside with her heart pounding. Those animals almost killed him last time!

“AH!”

Jeanne fell back as Hongbin and Taekwoon landed in front of the door and bowed with their wings enveloping them.

“Do not fret Mistress this little hiccup is being taken care of under great discretion.”

Jinyoung laughs and shakes his head as he boasts.

“You can thank me later Jeanne”

Jinyoung used reflective magic to keep the commotion unseen and for insurance Jaewhan misted himself and kept everyone in a trance until the threat was neutralized.

The young woman crawls to the door and places a hand against a glass pane. Taekwoon kneels and places his hand over hers with a nod.

“Wonshik….”

She whispers softly and Taekwoon gives a small smile.

“They attacked him when his back was turned. He’s happy he gets to return the favor.”
“And you all?”
“We’re fine. Are you alright?”

Jeanne nods feeling relief run through her like a spring.

Jinyoung’s eyes glow as he analyzes Jeanne’s aura during her interaction with the Demons and he tenses.

Feeling his unease Mari looks up and tugs on his sleeve.

“Master Jinyoung? Are you alright?”

Momentarily speechless Jinyoung shakes his head and blinks his eyes.

“Yes. Sorry just thought I saw something strange.”

Wishing guests a good night brought back a sense of normality to Jeanne after witnessing the warring Demons outside that no one else seemed to notice.

An elderly couple stopped and grabbed Jeanne’s hand. She recognized them from the stands in the Market place.

The man who helped the less fortunate and the flower woman were there too.

“Your Grand Father would be so proud. Be well Jeanne”

Instead of choking up Jeanne felt overwhelming pride in herself and beamed brightly. Her Demon companions felt her feelings course through their veins and they too smiled proudly.

As the gallery doors are closed Jaewhan drapes himself around Jeanne’s shoulders and nibbles hungrily on her lobe turning her red.

“The night is over without a hitch as you have wished Mistress. I believe a reward is in order~”

Feeling self-conscious under Jinyoung and Mari’s eyes Jeanne shuffled away but gasped as she was now embraced by Taekwoon who dipped his head in and ran his tongue sensually from her chin to her lips.

“Ummm! Ummm!”
“Hahaha how precious. Don’t feel self-conscious Jeanne I know how Demons can be first hand. Why do you think Chrysalis could not attend?”

Mari looked up at Jinyoung expecting him to make some witty remark about her Master’s insatiableness but the crystal Demon was deep in thought.

His golden eyes meet Taekwoon's and as if he was confirming his unvoiced thoughts Jinyoung rolled his shoulders and smiled.

“Shall we head home Mari? Chanyeol misses you no doubt”
“It’ll take forever to calm him after he smells all the demon scents on me haha”

Mari grabs Jeanne’s hand and pulls her into a hug. A big hug shaking her back and forth until they both giggle.

“See you soon?”
“Definitely. Thank you for coming. And for purchasing a painting.”
“Are you kidding me? A unicorn with a rainbow in the background is my, what does Talia always say? Aesthetic.”

Jeanne is taken back when Jinyoung carefully grabs her hand. He’s hesitant in his next moves not quite sure how he should handle her.

Instead of kissing her knuckles he places a hand over his heart and gives a deep bow making the coven curious eyed.

“I had a splendid evening Jeanne thank you. Do take care. Great care.”

As Jinyoung and Mari leave Jinyoung quickly hisses at Hakyeon never to leave Jeanne alone.

The Demetrus girl stretches feeling lighter than a feather.

Proud of herself and her work and excited for the days to come she heads for the kitchen beckoning to the men.

“Come all~ Tea and madeleines for all~…..what’s wrong?”

Jeanne looks over her shoulder and her skin prickles with sweet sinful anticipation as the Demons all loosen their ties and eye her hungrily.

Eerie chuckles of excitement echo through the gallery as the young woman runs away in vain.

“I love it when she runs”
“I love it when she comes too”

Four Demons blur away leaving Wonshik and Hakyeon alone in the main room.

The coven Leader closes his eyes and cracks his neck.

Jinyoung seemed off but Hakyeon has had enough of that fool for the day so he won’t badger him yet.

“Hey Brother”

Ancient Hades. Where souls of the damned are sent. Tobias the over seer, a truly powerful Demon.

“Hakyeon”

The constant nostalgia of being in this gallery. The Demonic symbol on the collars that bound the Demons to Jeanne’s words.

A girl left completely alone. Abandoned after her only family passes. Completely at ease with the idea of magic and Demons and dreamt of their realm….The Titan Demon does not believe in coincidences.

“What-”

Feeling tugging on his pant leg Hakyeon snarls down as he’s pulled from his thoughts but his breath hitches.

Wonshik is on his knees, head low and shoulders dropped. He looked absolutely pitiful.

“What in Hell’s name do you think you’re doing you imbecile! Get up!”
“I have never asked you for anything….”

The man softens from his brother’s low uncertain voice. He kneels and places a hand on Wonshik’s shoulder.

When the Berserker looks up he looks so conflicted and afraid.

“but please no matter what can you protect Jeanne like you protect us?”
“But she-”
“Is the sweetest most caring being I have ever had the privilege to meet. I don’t care what her role is with Tobias and the attacking Celestial Beings. Human or not. Jeanne is kind and compassionate and needs to be protected. You may not feel what we feel because you won’t give yourself up to her but I am asking you as my coven Leader to please protect this person who is very special to me.”

Hakyeon feels a pit in his stomach. He hates what this seemingly human girl is doing to the emotions of his Brothers, to him, but at this point he cannot stand the idea of losing any of them including Jeanne.

“Fine. You have my word.”
“Thank you”

The Demon grunts under the stronger man’s sudden embrace. Sighing exasperatedly Hakyeon rubs Wonshik’s back reassuring his Brother everything will be alright.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Author Note: Wow we have reached revelations O_O ♥ Seemingly Human? The Keeper of Hades? More Madeleines? But I'm more concerned if Hakyeon will get collared or not how about you guys xD