░ Chapter 13 ░

►► The Play House: Dark Knights & Angels ◄◄

Author Note: I can't get enough of the children guys hahaha Let me add in a few more familiar faces before we get Jeanne back to the art gallery what do you say? How many throwbacks do you count in this chapter of The Play House: Dark Knights and Angels m(_ _)m Shall we Play?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Haha I mean we can always dissect her, right gentlemen?”

Jeanne gasps. Her eyes are wide with wonder as the magnifying glass in the Demon’s hand obliterates into little orbs of light vanishing into the atmosphere right in front of her face.

Jinyoung’s hand caresses down her cheek as he smirks at her darkly. His arm slowly shifting into a clear needle like crystal that has the girl stiffening in her seat as the point runs against her skin.

“If you don’t get that arm away from her I’ll break it off and dissect you with it”

Hyuk growled as he walked up behind Jeanne’s chair placing a hand on her shoulder and slapping Jinyoung’s touch away with the other. Chuckles could be heard all around the room along with Hakyeon's sigh.

“Mind yourself Sanghyuk. I’m older than you remember? Respect me.”
“The only person I need to respect is my Mistress”

The two toned snap back from the Reaper Demon had Jinyoung’s eyes glow with an amused golden color which in turn had Hyuk’s eyes flicker the same symbol that was wrapped around his neck.

Jeanne shuttered in her seat,slightly frightened, her hand instinctly placing itself over Hyuk's on her shoulder and squeezing it gently. His tone was full of malice and aggression, completely unlike the playful being who kept her entertained during the quiet car ride.

“At least her aura’s not silver. We can all breathe easy”

Jeanne looks over to the Demon known as Mark as he chuckles and wraps an arm around Chrysalis’ waist and kisses her head. A motion he does a lot.

A Demon loving a human, how beautiful and mysterious.

The Emerald eyed girl was worried about meeting these Demons for Jaewhan had warned that humans in the Demon Realm would be put to death or eaten.

But these men and women were a part of a society created by the King of the Castle who’ve she’s now come to learn was Jaebeom.

Puppeteers they were called. Demons who took in lowly human souls off the streets with no family, home, will to go on and make them ‘Dolls.’

The Dolls were servants, collectables, pets, companions but it seemed to this group Dolls were family, humans were family, so Jeanne had nothing to fear.

Hongbin had explained to Jeanne why Chrysalis was so frightened when she first made eye contact with her.

A story from hundreds of years ago about an evil Doll with Emerald eyes that almost killed them all because of past Jaebeom's mistakes.

The Demon Jinyoung could read auras and the girl felt great tension leave the room when he noted that her aura was not silver.

Jeanne thought it’d be best not to mention her dreams about a skeletal being that would haunt her as a child. It seemed to be the Demon controlled by the Doll in their story.

“Ow!”
“…….”
“Excuse you”

Mark had blurred around the room pinching Wonshik, Hyuk and Jaewhan’s arms through their suit sleeves. Hongbin tried to trip him up with an outstretched leg but Mark was just so fast she's never seen the others move that fast before.

He returned back to his wife’s side with a playful grin at his lips as the other Demons eyed him angrily and proceeded to smooth out their garments.

“Did you feel any of that?”

Dimly lit blue eyes takes Jeanne’s breath away. She points to herself curiously and he laughs exposing elongated fangs.

“No Love. The other human being interrogated by a room full of Demons.”
“Darling…..”
“I only kid Pretty. I mean no harm by it.”

Like a flip of a switch Mark’s demeanor completely changes to one of a complacent being as Chrysalis tugs on his jacket not wanting him to be rude. The girl lifts her arms and looks all over her body then indefinitely shakes her head.

“I’m sorry. No I did not feel anything. Was I supposed to?”

With a yelp Jeanne’s nails dig into the arm rests of her seat as it lifts from the ground and flies through the air. Would this be an equivalent of a magic carpet ride? If so she'd never want to fly again.

The seat tilts forward giving Jaebeom a better view of the startled girl and he smiles. She's leaning back into the cushion trying to prevent herself from falling over, completely oblivious to the fact the Demon's telekinesis was keeping her safely in place.

Her caramel hair falls over her shoulders as wide eyes look around anxiously. Her heart is beating rampantly, a sweat bead forming at the base of her temple making Jaewhan frown.

“Well she reacts like a human. Jinyoung? Anything interesting about her aura?”
“None at all. In fact she’s quite boring. I've never witnessed an aura so dull from any human. I don‘t even want to be here anymore for I‘ve lost interest.”

“Take that back”

Wonshik’s voice is clipped as he aims his words at Demon Jinyoung. He blurs and jumps into the air grabbing Jeanne from the chair then holds her by his side with narrowed eyes, her body immediately melting into his with relief.

Jinyoung grins whimsically with eyes a blaze. Jeanne wraps herself around the Berseker Demon’s waist concluding the other with Golden eyes is one for mischief.

“Did I strike a nerve? oooo Did my words rattle the beast’s cage~? How scarrryyyyy~”
“Mistress or not I will not accept you speaking about Jeanne in such a way. This marvel of a young woman before us has suffered great loss that had affected her to the point of near death but she’s turned herself around. She welcomes the unknown and shows compassion to even those who don’t deserve it despite having been completely and utterly alone for years. She’s easily flustered but head strong, sweet, beautiful,smart, and has a talent for art far greater than I’ve ever seen. To call her boring or dull is an insult.”

Her fingers gripping onto the material of his jacket tightened as Jeanne’s heart fluttered from Wonshik’s words.

He’s defending her so passionately as if he’s known her for far longer than their short while together.

I’ve only been able to pull myself out of the darkness because of you

Jeanne’s quiet words echo in Wonshik’s head and soul.

He peers down at his Mistress who’s looking up at him in complete wonder with a beautiful blush spreading across her cheeks.

Jinyoung shakes his head and raises his arms in defeat as the Berserker’s chest rumbles with a deep and satisfied purr that makes the other Demons grin.

Mark leans over to Hakyeon nudging him with his elbow.

"Are you sure she's not what I think she is to him?"

Hakyeon shook his head, knitting his fingers under his chin as his eyes wandered around his brothers scattered in the room.

"This behavior is spread evenly through the three. The protective possessiveness but there is no true jealousy amongst them when it comes to the girl...only after they've been collared."
"Strange."
"Strange indeed."
"Do you have any desire of testing the waters then Hakyeon?"
"Ha! I'd rather be dead."

There’s a knock at the door. Wonshik’s brows come together as a sudden chill washes over Jeanne causing him to tighten his hold on her.

She looks to the door feeling a sudden wave of unease.Her breathing picks up and she has this urge to either hide or confront whatever lies on the otherside.

Hongbin rubs at his ear, clearing an unheard sound only he is accustomed to, and sighs in exasperation. He turns to the crowd and whispers.

“There’s a Celestial being at the door. Should we hide our enigma?”
“I’m an enigma now Hongbin?”
“Is that a problem Jeanne? I dare say it be a better term than Hakyeon referring to you as a pet.”
“She is our pet. A nuisance of a pet.”
“Seems to me like you’re all her pets”

The coven of six turn to Jinyoung and glare making him clap his hands. Everyone blurs around the room to occupy spaces in a casual manner.

Jeanne can’t help but giggle as her three Demons guard around her, her face mere inches from the wooden bookcase in front of her. The smell of leather is very strong like this.

“This isn’t very inconspicuous…”

She whispers light heartedly, making them smirk. The door opens and Jeanne peers out between their arms and is stunned to silence.

The guest is beautiful beyond words. She’s a woman maybe as tall as 6 ft. Her golden blonde hair glows as if the suns rays resonate from it.

Her slender figure is accentuated by the loose flowy sleeveless white dress wrapped around her.

She places a hand over her heart and bows to Jaebeom, a startled gasp leaving Jeanne’s lips as a pair of white majestic wings erupt from her back.

“She’s breath taking….”

Jeanne sighs in awe and her eyes come up to meet Jaewhan’s. He chuckles and rolls his head to the side as if she had said some kind of joke of absolutely no amusement.

“You seem to have company Sir. Should I return some other time?”

The Angel’s voice is like silver bells. So velvet and music like. Again Hongbin rubs at his ears in an annoyed fashion. Jaebeom looks around the room and shakes his head.

“It’s quite alright. What we have to discuss is not much of a private matter anyway. Come come.”

Peeling her gaze away from the celestial being Jeanne turns her attention to the book case in front of her and one in particular catches her eye.

She carefully takes the old script into her hands titled ‘A Demon’s Deity’ and rubs at the cover, her brows furrowing at the cup ring on it.

Who would defile such a rustic and majestic looking novel by placing a cup on it?

Looking around her to make sure no one was paying attention Jeanne excitedly flipped through the pages.

She was in awe. It was completely hand written script in ink, beautiful, and full of colorless pictures. This is Demons' Litertature! How’s fascinating!

“A Demon’s Deity:
There is no magic greater than love
Always around, always lurking, ready to be discovered, unpredictable
Strong, gentle, protective, unbreakable, irreversible
With love comes power
A Demon and it’s Deity, it’ll be it’s finest hour
If Demon and Demon they may be, if one were to die then only one in the grave shall stay
Heed warning if a Demon and a human were to become one
Then in the grave they both shall lay”

Jeanne sighed as she closed the cover. That was beautiful. A Demon’s Deity? Is that what Demons referred to their significant others as? A God or a Goddess? The irony.

Placing the book back she looks up as Hakyeon blurs to her side with a frown, his slender fingers skimming across the spines in front of him.

“What’s wrong Hakyeon? You don‘t look very happy”
“Beings of different Realms tend to stay away from each other but in Puppeteer society they all co-exist under Jaebeom’s guide. Call me old fashioned but I find Celestial Beings unsightly hindrances.”

All eyes turn to Jeanne as she bursts out in a bright laughter to the point she has to wipe tears from her Emerald eyes.

Hakyeon narrows his gaze and flicks her head making her mew.

“I’m so happy I amuse you Pet”
“I’m so sorry. My apologies. It’s just so….haha….a Demon having negative thoughts about an Angel….”

In the midst of a sigh Jeanne finally opens her eyes to catch the Angel looking at her.

That sudden wave of unease washes over Jeanne again as pale grayish blue eyes harden in an instance.

The air becomes colder sending a chill down Jeanne’s spine, her legs shaking ready to fight or flight.

Noticing the change in atmosphere Jaewhan attaches himself to Jeanne’s back and narrows his eyes at the Angel looking this way.

“Is something the matter?”

Jaebeom speaks up calling for the woman’s attention, effectively snapping her out of her daze. She shakes her head and the two continue discussing their business as if nothing happened.

“That was strange. Usually they only give me that look.”

Hongbin whistles amused and blurs to join his brothers. He and Hakyeon frown as they observe Jaewhan, Wonshik and Hyuk.

They’ve been protective before but this seemed to be on a whole different scale. Their bodies were tensed, tightly coiled and ready to spring at any moment.

Hyuk’s gloves were gone, his hands rubbing together anxiously. Wonshik’s lips were slowly curling over his fangs and Jaewhan’s eyes were pitch black.

Chrysalis wandered over with Mark close behind her. She gently tugged on Wonshik’s sleeve despite his intimidating appearance, asking him to stand aside so she could hand Jeanne a cup of tea.

“Thank you”
“My pleasure. You won’t find anything of interest on this particular shelf”

She says with a smile that makes Jeanne return it with her own.

“Why do you say that? They’re books of Demon Literature how could that not be of interest?”
“Because humans can’t read Original Demonic Text like the collection housed here. It’s impossible because all the human would see is blank pages for they are not a Demon.”

Mark wraps his arms around Chrysalis and blurs her a foot away as Jeanne chokes and sputters her tea.

Hakyeon narrows his eyes and holds in his growl as he wipes the liquid from his sleeves as does Hongbin, but unlike his brooding brother the Fallen Angel is highly amused.

Again all eyes are on her and Hyuk finally snaps out of whatever thought he was in, gloves reemerging on his hands as he taps his Mistress’ back lightly.

“You really do know how to draw attention to yourself. Are you alright?”
“Yes. It just went down the wrong pipe.”

After the Angel departed, but not before shooting Jeanne one last icy glare, the girl and her coven spent the rest of their day at Castle Jaebeom.

It was hard but Jaebeom managed to pry Jeanne away from her guards to have a little one on one time with her, to be able to observe her without distraction.

But his castle serves as the biggest distraction as the girl is too mesmerized by her surroundings to pay any attention to the Demon giving her the tour.

There was something charming about this human, not in a way that he would take her as his own, but in a way that made him comfortable in her prescense despite her being human. This has never happened before.

"So you've dreamt of our realms before? That's completely unheard of. I don't believe you."
"Sir, these realms, and you all should be unheard of. Shouldn't exist. But you do. You look exactly as you did in my dream as well."
"And you've dreamt of me? Hahaha are you to say I am the man of your dreams?"

Jeanne blushes from the Demon's playfulness against her will. Jaebeom now finds himself muttering Mark's words of calling the girl 'intriguing.' A new mystery, what joy.

As the tour concludes another one of their acquaintances had joined them.

Jackson was informed of the situation they were researching into and being the strongest of the group everyone watched in amazement as he tried to pry the collar off Jaewhan’s neck, the buckle not budging an inch but instead glittered as if taunting.

His knuckles turned white, his face red, he became worked up to the point his Demonic ram horns sprung from his head in flames; all the while Jaewhan smiled  whimsically as he heard all the profanity going on in Jackson's head.

The nightmare Demon turns to Jeanne, winks and blows her a kiss making Jackson groan and give up with an unimpressed expression on his rugged face.

“We’ve gotten the books you asked for Master Jaebeom.”
“Ah thank you Karin. Thank you boys.”

A short haired girl with what seemed to be a mini blue penguin on her head wandered into the room holding a small stack of books while the twin young men behind her held much larger stacks.

She too was beautiful, perfect looking like Chrysalis. Then it dawned on her by spotting the mark on her neck that she too were a Doll.

Jeanne's jaw drops as Karin's tattoo, which she was informed was called a 'seal' burns bright blue and the human girl goes through each book at lightning speed.

The twins in suspenders casually hand her another book as she finishes with the previous and in the blink of an eye the pile is sorted and gone through cover to cover. Jinyoung's brow twitches in amusement and Jaebeom chuckles with arms crossed.

"Did you find anything of use Karin?"
"Death. A lot of human death. Nothing aside from your written Literature is about a being controlling others to this extent, nor a Demon's sudden obsession with a single human. But Herbert spotted the symbol of the choker's buckle in numerous places but none of these texts had any information on it. We shall look into it in the future."

"You are a wonder, my little Book Fairy"

Mark smiles proudly at Karin who blushes and nods her head.

"Thank you Master."

As everyone conversed amongst themselves Jeanne wandered over to the corner where Taekwoon was bouncing little baby Min-ji, Mark’s daughter on his knee, making the purple eyed young one laugh and coo.

Out of the corner of her eye Jeanne could see Matthew eyeing his sister and nodding in approval before being surrounded by other children around his age.

The two girls were dressed in red, one with black hair and the other with grey. A young boy with fluffy hair rolled into the group making them topple over like bowling pins and laugh in a way only children could.

A large ram like Demon with red skin and black fur lifted the two girls in his arms thus triggering Matthew to shift back to his Demon form. The rolling boy too grew in size rivaling the others but he looked more like a werewolf with a shell on his back. Jeanne was in complete awe.

As they ran away roaring a tall and muscular young man holding a hoard of babies in his arms wandered over with a smile.

“Can we sit with you guys?”

His voice was very sweet compared to his manly demeanor. Taekwoon eyed the bubbling children in his arms and nodded.

Soon babies were crawling everywhere….well not so much crawling but rolling?

“Is it safe for the babies to roll like that?”
“We’re Whorlers ma’m it’s in our nature. My Brothers and Sisters are early learners too I’m so proud.”
“A WHORLER!?”

Jeanne’s sudden outburst had Wonshik laughing from the other side of the area. He too was once shocked as this girl who spoke of Whorlers so it was a delight to see her shock as she finally met one.

The young man looked at her as if she were a nut case and scratched his head.

“….yes? Beasts of the Enchanted Forest Realm, all extinct except for my Father, but now thanks to him and my Mother Mari we’re our own little pack~ I’m Thomas! But not like you asked….I mean it would never hurt to know my name hahaha…unless you didn’t want to…oops…I’m babbling again…..oh crap…..”

The babies all roll towards their eldest Brother making him laugh and lay out so they could crawl on top of him. They have to learn to roll before they can learn to crawl he says.

Jeanne looks down as Min-ji crawls into her lap drooling. Jeanne smiles and wipes the little one’s mouth with her hands, coating her skin in the warm substance.

“Who’s a sweet girl? You are so precious….”

As she whispers to the baby completely infatuated Jeanne flinches as Taekwoon grabs her hand. He pulls a handkerchief from his pocket and wipes the drool away taking her by surprise.

“Thank you Taekwoon”

He nods then turns his attention back to the bundles of joy in front of him. A new toddler joins the group with glowing orange eyes, being pursued by the Twin Young men, as another of Jaebeom’s acquaintances joins them.

“You really like children don’t you? I like them too. A lot. I’ve only had my Grandparents to look after me after my parents passed away. They showered me with so much love and affection I couldn’t wait to show the same love to my own children one day.”

He doesn’t mean to but the Vampire Demon turns his head and listens intently to the human girl’s story. Her eyes grow sad as memories overtake her including her Grand Father's smiling face.

“But then I have this….pang in the back of my head that haunts me. What if something happens to me and I leave my children behind too like my family before me? I can’t bare that thought…..”

Softness brushes under Jeanne’s eye as Taekwoon wipes away her tears with his satin handkerchief.

Under his unchanging expression she cleans her face quickly while apologizing.

“I’m so sorry! I don’t know what came over me. You didn’t have to hear that.”
“Don‘t….cry….”

He says softly, his eyes studying her face for a moment before turning his attention back to the children.

He’s never shown Jeanne such an expression, his words, strangely comforting, and she too returns to playing with group of half human half magical being children.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*