Chapter 8

Untimely

Chapter 8

9---9


“Do you know why I agreed to tell you?” Jeongmin leaned his head against his palm, stirring his drink with a bored expression after they found a café to talk in.

“...because I asked you to?” Minwoo gave a weird look back.

“No. Because I feel sorry for you.” Jeongmin sighed.

“Sorry for me- I don't need your pity!” Minwoo slammed the table angrily, watching the other chuckle at him. “What?!”

“You are as they say.”

“Who are they?”

“Insiders. We work for the media, we know the things that go around.” The reporter said calmly, taking a sip from his drink and ignoring the attention they garnered. Their conversation would just be an incomprehensible exchange to the locals here “Your marriage is an obvious move to get your father's company out of the dumps. You were sold by your parents.”

“I wasn't sold by my parents.” Minwoo said lowly, fist clenched.

“Alright then, how about the word 'coax'? Better?” Jeongmin offered with a toothy smile.

Minwoo contemplated it for a second, watching the other break out into a hearty laugh.

“You're such a simpleton. That's why I feel sorry for you. You're obviously an unknowing pawn in this game.” Jeongmin shook his head, face straightening. “Do you even know what's happening to your father's company?”

“It's in trouble.” Minwoo bit his lower lip as he replied. “So I need to marry Kim Donghyun.”

“What sort of trouble?”

“...probably big trouble...”

“As expected of the spoilt son of the Nos!” Jeongmin clapped his hands. “Ignorant and proud, but also very cute. The media loves taking pictures of you, but that's about it.”

“I have pictures taken?” Minwoo widened his eyes. When-

“See, that's why you're such an easy target. I'm pretty sure that's why Kim Donghyun accepted you.” The reporter shot Minwoo a sharp look. “That man is scheming. Anyway, your father's company has been in the red for a year now. He refuses to fold the business and if the situation doesn't turn for the better, he'd need to declare bankrupt.”

“...bank...bankru-”

“Shocking? But it's your father's company, you know? Eventually it's going to be yours, but you don't know a thing about it? I guess that's why they sold you.”

“They didn't sell me!” Minwoo yelled in annoyance. “I accepted this marriage myself!”

“Whatever floats your boat. I'm not into insulting your parents since they're pretty loved, but I do doubt them a little if they think your marriage to Kim Donghyun is the best choice to salvage the company.” Jeongmin shrugged. “Your family has the best image amongst corporations in the industry. The Kims are the complete opposite. While your father refused to retrench any workers despite being in the red, and all the employees stick loyally because of how kind your parents have treated them, the Kims have been involved in multiple scandals since last year.”

“...what scandals?”

“Embezzlement. They have fired those workers and publicly shamed them, but insiders know there was probably something bigger and they used embezzlement to cover it up. Those workers were just scapegoats.” Jeongmin explained with a dark expression. “The Kims have a history of media manipulation. They either pay people to spin a story, or make sure they have no evidence. Kim Donghyun shut down the museum knowing he can't bribe us, pretty scheming.”

Minwoo felt a shudder down his spine. Sure, he shouldn't be so believing of this man before him, but the first thing Kim Donghyun did on their first meeting was tell him to let the hidden paparazzi take pictures of them being “lovey-dovey”.

“He's not yet taken over, but he's of age and the media has been following his story. He's as good as his father with media manipulation.” Jeongmin frowned deeply, staring at the other who was trying to comprehend all these new information. “On the other hand, you have no clue of everything that's happening and married him to salvage your father's company. The public buys the story of you two being in love, but we know better. A bunch of us feel really sorry for you. It's like sending a rabbit to a lion's den.”

He watched Minwoo stare blankly at his drink, then sighing and standing up. “I'll take my leave.”

“Who are you?”

Minwoo's head turned sharply at the third voice, eyes widening when he recognised the man.

“Kim Donghyun...”

“Ready to pick up your little darling?” Jeongmin smirked, patting Donghyun's shoulder as if to dust it, not intimidated by the other man towering over his disadvantageous height. “How was the local museum?”

“Which magazine do you work for?”

“Sharp, very sharp.” Jeongmin sang. “I'm more of a freelancer.”

“Your trip here was paid. Who do you work for?”

Minwoo watched those cold, dangerous eyes glare at Jeongmin, and the same dark aura sent back.

“No need to worry. It's not time to take you down.” The reporter chuckled, taking a few steps back. “Yet.”

“Bye, cutie pie.” Jeongmin then waved to him, turning on his heels. “Don't let Kim Donghyun bite off your head.”
 

---


Minwoo let out a yelp, suddenly thrown roughly against the wall once they entered their hotel room.

He watched Donghyun pin him against the cold hard wall, eyes squinted.

“Who is that guy?” Words laced with poison.

“Why do you care?” Minwoo spat back. “All that media manipulation? You were resisting from the restaurant to back here to ask me this question but was too acutely aware of the paparazzi to do so, yeah?”

“Shut up and answer my question.” Donghyun grabbed onto Minwoo's collar, hoisting him up.

“He's a reporter you can't bribe.”

“Do you know him?”

“I met him today.” Minwoo coughed, eyes glaring at the other while his feet desperately sought ground. “If you kill me, your image will be ruined.”

“I can easily write a story of your unfortunate demise.” Donghyun smirked uglily back, finally releasing Minwoo. “You were so obedient before. Why did he have to go tell you all that?”

“What do you want from this marriage?”

“What you want.” Donghyun shrugged, undoing the buttons on his shirt and walking away. “Play smart. If you cooperate, I'll make sure we go our separate ways in two years. I'll save your parents' company, you'll play along.”

“Two years-”

“Yeah, we'll get a divorce then. For now, we both need to salvage our father's company. And all you need to do is follow my orders.” Donghyun turned back, a sharp glare in place. “I told you to come back by 7. Why weren't you at the museum?”

“Oh, because you probably haven't thought I would be robbed by the locals.” Minwoo snapped back. “I hope you enjoyed your date with your little girlfriend because from tomorrow, I'm not leaving this room!”

“You're cute if you think that's a threat.” Donghyun chuckled. “Alright then, I'll be in the other room.”

Minwoo watched as Donghyun opened the connecting door, and a glimpse of a person behind the door could be seen. A woman's voice welcomed the leaving man on the other side.

“...bastard.”
 

---
 

Booooooo, Kim Donghyun, boooooo
/bricked/