Chapter 13

Untimely

Chapter 13

19---19


Heir of the Kim family has an affair?

Kim Donghyun, heir of the Kim family who held his wedding privately with No Minwoo just a few weeks ago has been caught on camera looking especially intimate with a female partner. The two were spotted walking out of the Kim’s headquarters a little after 9 o’clock, with Kim Donghyun’s hand around the unknown lady’s waist.

The union of Kim Donghyun and No Minwoo had raised eyebrows when it was announced suddenly a month ago. Many insiders suspected the political nature of their marriage despite both families assuring the public that the two were in love. Meanwhile, No Minwoo has disappeared from public eye ever since their honeymoon, causing suspicions to be raised about the true story behind it all.

 

---


Minwoo stared wide-eyed at the loud slam of the front door from his seat on the comfortable sofa. He was halfway into his drama marathon that his mother suggested, and quickly sniffled a little to put on an act because-

“I’m not crying.” An awkward cough.

“I’ll arrange for you to meet this reporter. The basic script is here, read through it, and memorise it if you can. I have the possible questions that will be raised and answers here drafted for you to answer with.” Donghyun rattled off, a piece of paper shoved in the younger man’s face.

“…what is this?”

Donghyun glowered at the other who blinked back confusedly. Sighing in realisation when he ran his actions through his head and view it from Minwoo’s oblivious point of view, Donghyun then pulled out his tablet and unlocked it.

“This news came out four hours ago. I need your help to resolve the problem at hand.”

Minwoo chewed on his lower lip as he took the tablet from the older man’s hand, scanning the supposed news. His eyes and mouth both slowly formed ‘O’ shapes, and putting the pieces together, he stared at Donghyun once more.

“…who is she?”

Donghyun pressed his lips in a tight line, parting them reluctantly. “She’s my subordinate at work.”

A lie.

“And is she someone you want to protect?”

The businessman gave a sharp look, slightly knitted brows expressing his confusion. “What?”

“I wouldn't put it past you to leave her to settle the aftermath alone, but you are refusing to.” Minwoo shrugged lightly, eyes falling onto the secretly taken photograph. “Is she someone you want to protect?”

“You don't have to know.”

Minwoo smiled, scrolling down the news carelessly.

“I'll do it if she is.”

The air was thick with the silence that followed after. Minwoo let his finger ghost over the tablet as if to aid his reading of the article.

Donghyun blew out a breath of air and nodded. “She is. I'm marrying her right after we divorce.”

The truth.

The younger man looked up with a small smile, eyes acknowledging the man he was legally married to. “I'll respect that. I guess even you can be a human.”

Donghyun stared at Minwoo and pressed his lips together, the ends slightly curved upwards. “Thank you.”

“So you’ll arrange for the reporter to meet with me, right? I’ll read this as a bedtime story then.” Minwoo then stood from his seat with the paper he was given previously, leaving the tablet where he sat after giving it a lingering look.
 

---


“Hello, Jeongmin-ssi.” Minwoo gestured towards the opposite seat as he saw the approaching man.

“Long time no see.” The other waved amiably before taking a seat. “Didn’t expect you to be so early.”

Pressing his lips together, Minwoo then argued with himself internally before deciding to be patient. “Do you want anything to drink, Jeongmin-ssi?”

“I’ll have what you’re having.”

Minwoo called over the waiter and placed an order, both staying silent until the said order arrived.

“I bet Kim Donghyun reserved this café for the entire day.”

“Stop it.” Minwoo sighed, as if the other’s words were a trigger to break the façade he was wearing. “Stop trying to bring him down, that girl is innocent.”

“If I bring him down, you'll be free of the marriage.” Jeongmin shrugged, easing into the main topic carelessly. “Don't worry about your father's company, it's already on the rise.”

“We'll settle our marriage problems ourselves.”

Minwoo widened his eyes, before biting his lower lip to forget his own shock at how spiteful he sounded.

“Is that so?”

Shaking away irrelevant thoughts, Minwoo stared straight at the other. “I'll give you a follow-up story. Write it.”

Jeongmin smirked. “I'm not taking orders from you, kid.”

“I’m not a kid.”

“I don't know how he brainwashed you, but I'm not backing down.” The reporter picked up the bag he barely put down, standing up from his seat. “I would have wanted to savour this coffee since the barista took such trouble to make it, but I guess I should be leaving.”


Donghyun blew out a breath of air and nodded. “She is. I'm marrying her right after we divorce.”


Minwoo grabbed onto the leaving man's shirt and fell on his knees, faster than his brain could process.

“Then I will beg you.”
 

---