Chapter 14

Untimely

Chapter 14

20---20


“Why would you do this for him?” Jeongmin grumbled, following after Minwoo. “Is this where the both of you share a house?”

“Yeah.” Minwoo said simply, inviting the other to take a sweat. “Do you want a drink?”

“Just water.”

Minwoo brought two cups of water and tried a smile while he offered one. “Well then, the story is-”

“I'll write it after you tell me why you'd do this for him. No Minwoo is a spoilt and proud child, not someone who would get on his knees.”

Minwoo watched the offered cup stay in his hand, then leaving it on the coffee table. He avoided the smug-looking gaze sent by the reporter, settling himself a comfortable distance away on the same sofa.

“She's important to him.” Minwoo smiled weakly, clutching onto his own cup. “I thought he was a playboy, you know, but she's the same girl that went on our honeymoon. She's the same girl since, and she's the one he wants to marry.”

He saw her through the connecting door of their suites.

He wasn’t cheating on him.

He was the third party.

He was cheating on her.

Minwoo flinched at a snort that broke the short silence.

“That is none of your business. Stop acting magnanimous and tell me your story.” Jeongmin made a face, as if seeing through Minwoo immediately.

He felt the other reach for his cup of water as if readying himself for a long explanation and Minwoo reached out to set his cup down.

Minwoo smiled softly.

That’s right, he was none of his business.

A deep breath.

“My mother told me she was sorry. She told me to be wary of him, because before I'm someone he wants to protect, I'm just someone he can use.” Minwoo shrugged as nonchalantly as he could manage, eyes staring at the blank TV screen before him. “As you said, I was sold off.”

“That's why I'm saying I can save you-”

“Don't ruin it for me!” Minwoo screamed suddenly, face slowly turning red. “I haven't done anything I could be proud of in my life. This time, I'm just told to play his spouse and in two years, he'd free me, so don't ruin it for me!”

Jeongmin blinked at the man's sudden outburst, tears quickly falling from those averting eyes.

His fists were clenched, his figure was trembling.

“Forget it. I shouldn't trust you to understand.” Minwoo laughed humourlessly, face finally turned to the reporter to show his angry tears. “All you want is an exclusive scoop to earn big bonuses, you'll jump at any and every damn thing.”

“...”

“Get out.”
 

---


Jeongmin drummed his fingers, visibly deep in thought. Reaching into his jeans pocket and staring intently at the object now within his hand, he gently released his grip.

Rewind. Play.


““Don't ruin it for me! I haven't done anything I could be proud of in my life. This time, I'm just told to play his spouse and in two years, he'd free me, so don't ruin it for me!”


“What a brat.” Jeongmin chuckled, staring at the voice recorder as it continued.


“Forget it. I shouldn't trust you to understand. All you want is an exclusive scoop to earn big bonuses, you'll jump at any and every damn thing.”


“You judge too quickly, kid.”


“Get out.”


Jeongmin pressed the stop button and smiled softly at it, before slipping it back into his pocket. He let a sigh slip past his lips, words only audible by the wind that took it away.

“How do you know I’m weak against your tears?”
 

---