Silver Lining

School Wars

Despite yesterday’s comparatively happy run-in, today is not a good day for Kwon Soonyoung. It's mostly because he's looking at Lee Seokmin’s membership file with pure unadulterated envy. How does he get so many members? Fanboys and fangirls, Seungkwan chanted before he entered the meeting. Fanboys and fangirls.

 

Yeah, the very fanboys and fangirls which could help give the dance club some legitimacy. Thanks, Seungkwan. You tried.

 

"Do you need to go to the toilet? Your face has this really constipated look right now. I can help you save the seat, no problems."

 

Well, he does have a problem. Many of them, actually. One of them is Lee Seokmin sitting next to him breathing down his neck. Just because they're student initiated clubs doesn't mean they get along, okay.

 

Seokmin aside, the main problem is that the whole meeting is injustice. Every other club sends three people and student-run clubs only send one. Other clubs get first choice on training times and return room keys to their club rooms today while they had to fight tooth and nail for the key to the dance studio on two days. All this while getting dirty looks from the receptionist because hello, extra unnecessary work of having to fill up forms every Monday and Wednesday. All this while classical dance gets to keep a spare. Just thinking about it makes Soonyoung angry.

 

"I'm feeling quite alright. It's just a little stuffy sitting next to someone so high and mighty."

 

"Oh, I thought you were referring to the head of clubs. Don't make such a sour face, no wonder no one wants to join your club. Scare off all the girls while we have handsome faces to ogle. Small wonder why our membership is better."

 

"Ahem."

 

The head walks in with full self-importance, walking stick clicking against the tiles because she's got no spine. Always listening to what the boards of directors have to say and ignoring student interests. Off putting, really. Whenever Soonyoung needed anything done he went straight to the vice principal. Much more friendly and open to suggestions.

 

"As you know we here at Pledis have a long tradition of excellence in club and societies and we aim to continue this tradition for our juniors to continue enjoying-"

 

Ugh. Soonyoung wants to smash her gold-rimmed spectacles along with too-pinched up nose.  But since those are just impossible fantasies, he might as well go for more realistic targets that may actually not get him suspended (he probably would and therefore wouldn’t do it). The smirking guy next to him really is the perfect target.

 

"Aww, don't look at her ugly mug and check me out instead~ you'll like what you see and hear at the rock band much more."

 

"Would rather go out with my friends who just happen to be rock band members. Your music ."

 

"You're only hiding behind thinly veiled insults because the rock band is so handsome that you’re threatened."

 

"Yeah, that’s all the rock band is good for. Three handsome guys."

 

"Oh, is Jeonghan’s hair not your taste? We do have very handsome and talented members."

 

"Think you need your eyes checked. I only saw three handsome ones. The last one was a lip-syncing dud."

 

He knows that the accusation is clearly false but whatever, anything to keep the argument going. Not that he enjoys it but because he’s not going to be able to control himself much longer.

 

Not when the head drones on and on while the student council, those ups, nod so interestedly. God, are they brain dead or what? Or do they feel the desire to please authority so deeply in their bones that they will believe clearly pompous self-entitled jerks?

 

"Well if you keep scowling you're going to be so much uglier than me. She's looking."

 

And the both fall silent, putting aside their animosity and wear their standard good boy smiles.

 

"Ah, the student-run clubs. How unexpected to see you here!  We don't have very good news for you though."

 

Soonyoung grits his teeth. Seokmin flashes one of his smile with teeth that might just make him look handsome.

 

"Oh dear, Ms Han. Fear not, the students will do our best to sustain our clubs for the sake of the school."

 

"I hate to say this, but the art block will be undergoing repairs starting in two weeks. As the school clubs have long lasting traditions and values that are truly valuable to our future, they will be given priority for new venues. "

 

"Unfortunately" She doesn't think it's unfortunate, her face gives it all away. She’s snickering with glee. It’s really abuse of power, using her role to get back at that annoying student who caused her so many problems last year. She’d be the happiest to see them go.

 

"We've manage to find rooms for both the computer and anime club, but due to noise restrictions the school is unable to host the dance and rock band. Unless you can share venues or find alternative ones, please submit your club dissolution forms before Week 3."

 

Soonyoung wants to cry and storm out the room. Yesterday he was so pleased at getting the fifth member and talking to Chan who really was a good dancer behind all his Michael Jackson fanboying. And now what, he's expected to dissolve the club due to fake administrative difficulties?

 

"Gloomy news aside, we're also pleased to announce the formation of a new club, recreational badminton under the head of Choi Seungcheol. The five member per club rule has been relaxed to suit the needs of more students-"

 

Bloody hell.

 

Can the head not be so biased? Sure, so Soonyoung may not be the best Literature student around. So maybe it's his fault for writing what he thought on the year end paper rather than what she wanted him to say. Maybe an angsty emotional piece bashing the supposed hero of the story, her favourite character, was unsuitable for examinations. And maybe it was his fault that she got into trouble with the regulatory people who just happened to pick out and like his essay. But so what? What Ms Han thinks of Soonyoung shouldn’t affect the fate of the dance club, and most definitely shouldn’t cause it to go under. And it’ll be his fault. It is.

 

And maybe Ms Han looks upon Lee Jihoon like the second coming of Shakespeare. Perhaps all the extra flowery old English floats her Literature loving boat compared to his constant comparisons of Little Women to chick lit but seriously? Laxing the rules for Jihoon? Bull.

 

Soonyoung can't stand this. If they're not a club now he really has no reason to be here. He drags the chair back, creating a screeching noise before storming to the door. He's so done with the head’s bull.

 

"Pardon Soonyoung. He's been enduring a really bad stomachache to attend this meeting. I admire his determination and will towards the dance club.

 

Soonyoung swivels around sharply to see Seokmin mouthing "come back quick" towards him. He observes him for the lie in his eyes, watches for the insincerity to cross his gaze but finds nothing. Instead he just stares straight like he’s telling Soonyoung to trust him. Huh. Maybe he's equally pissed off. Really shouldn't cross that punk. He's intelligent although he's an .

 

"Really sorry. I'll be back soon."

 

Even the darkest jerkiest doomsday cloud does have a silver lining. In this case, Seokmin is not 100% a terrible person. He’s 1% decent. Which still doesn’t explain why he and Seungkwan are friends.