Beat It

School Wars

Their speakers really can't win the fancy loudspeakers the rock band acquired from the school. Whatever posters and flyers they made off Minghao's moms colour printer looks semi decent at best, mostly thanks to begging Mingyu to use his artistic sense and help touch their work up. He more or less ended up remaking it on the spot. While it was significantly better than what they made (Seungkwan said it gave his eyes diseases), it really didn't match up to those on fancy gloss paper. As a small club, Soonyoung truly protests the decision to pay student-initiated clubs by head. Just because there are a lot of girls in the rock band on paper doesn't mean they actually turn up to session. He's conveniently ignoring Wonwoo telling him that the girls do, they stare at them from outside the window because Seokmin doesn't let then in. That's even creepier than Mingyu, because at least Mingyu is wanted.

 

And even though Seungkwan put in a fantastic glowing review for the Dance Club that resulted in their visitorship spiking at 15, they soon got distracted by the rock band and left. Annoying handsome guys. Ugh. Ugh, the ty rock band. Honestly, they're all untalented at playing instruments minus Seokmin. Whose very existence is untalent in itself, truth be damned.

 

They perform a lot better today. They capture the space on the hallways, creating a small flashmob that probably doesn't count as a flashmob because they're only four people. Seungkwan even finds the time to duck out of the broadcasting room to help them promote by screaming directions to their booths.

 

The sad part is that while gathering people is super effective, the moment they see Vernon's girlfriend and the rock band (not Seokmin) they just gradually drift over. Even the guys go too, because Seokmin is cool senior or something. Soonyoung could not disagree more. His broken shoe is three times as cool. The glue got old and lost stickiness. Fascinating. About as riveting as Seokmin's singing, which is not at all. Seungkwan sings better, even if Seokmin and him probably bonded over singing or something. Seungkwan has no standards. Otherwise he wouldn’t have befriended Soonyoung, let’s be real. He’s kind of lame.

 

Sadly that lameness translates into a blank sign up sheet. No matter how hard the four of them try.  With only one-hour left and most of the juniors going home, they've a grand total of zero people on their sign up sheet. There's only a gash of blue from when Vernon almost sealed the deal with one of the junior girls making heart eyes at him. They almost conned her-except at the last moment her friend told her he wasn't single as Vernon was too much of a good guy to lie.

Screw morals, Soonyoung would have told her that he was an alien from another galaxy if it meant she’d sign up. Of course Junhui told him that he couldn’t keep up that act for more than three months on end. But hey, by then they might (gasp) get a real member!

 

It’s so hopeless even the optimistic Minghao has started packing up. Practicing in the corridors can’t be that bad. They’ll have the glass panels outside Lecture Hall 2 to practice. Maybe soundless practice would increase their synchronization.  

 

But when he sees Seokmin give an arrogant look as he heads off to stage for their performance, the bad part of Kwon Soonyoung comes out. And he has a great (bad) idea.

 

He doesn’t really have to anything particularly unethical. The speakers they borrowed from the school are just sitting there, perfectly unused. He plugs the jack into his phone and voila. It connects. No need to call Kim Mingyu for help, that’s how easy the job.

 

Junhui gives him that -eating grin with a devious look in his eyes. Looks like Soonyoung isn’t the only one who really dislikes the rock band leader.

 

“And now let’s give a hand for the rock band!”

 

“Play the loudest song on your playlist. We’ll just freestyle.”

 

Holy. Even Minghao dislikes this Lee Seokmin punk. He was right about him being devious.

 

Randomly hitting Michael Jackson’s Dangerous, they start dancing. Pretty much just going crazy, cranking up the volume as loud as to go over Seokmin’s singing. Kind of what they do after practice when they have time. Almost as a response he can hear Seokmin singing much louder, so louder the microphone starts complaining. The crowd goes even crazier.

 

And there’s some wordless agreement between them as they start screaming the lyrics loudly and badly. The mishmash of the rock music and their scream forms something that sounds really messy and somewhat addictive.

 

Soonyoung is almost sad to hear the song end. Pulling the sound cable out of his phone, they hurry back to their booth and start dabbing their sweat of their face.

 

“Act innocent.”

 

The rock band comes in shortly, legions of fangirls trailing after them. Soonyoung is pretty smug when he hears the chants of Seokmin’s name dwindling significantly. It’s been what, two days? He’s terrible at maintaining his popularity.

 

“Aww, thanks so much. The remix was perfect, wasn’t it? Everyone got really hyped even though your singing could have been more tuneful.”

 

“No problems! The dance club is so glad that the juniors are happy. It’ll be great if they joined us too. ”

 

Lies, lies. He can hear Minghao whispering to Junhui. Vernon is doing that noiseless laugh of his at the back. The front they put on is pretty much hilarious.

 

“Sad that your signup sheets are still a little white- ”

 

“DANCE CLUB PLAYED MICHAEL JACKSON?”

 

From out of the thick crowd of girls a male junior burst through. He’s panting slightly, loud and totally unaware to the thick tension in the air.

 

“Yes we played Dangerous-” Junhui answers warily.

 

“OH MY GOD DID YOU DANCE IT TOO WHERE DO I SIGN UP I WANT IN.”

 

“Here!!” Minghao excitedly shoves the form in his hands and the boy eagerly starts filling up the details. “I’m Lee Chan by the way, dancing Michael Jackson is my life- gosh I’m so happy I decided to stick around. Almost signed up for baseball can you believe it?”

 

Chan looks so cute and overeager. Soonyoung looks up to smile at Seokmin.
 

“And you were saying something about white?”

 

“Yeah, your posters. Very lovely and minimalist.”

 

“We need to thank Kim Mingyu for that one. All his credit.”

 

Mingyu gives to gotta-dash look right there, hastily excusing himself for a coffee break. Wonwoo trails right after, dragging Jeonghan with him and suddenly the gathered crowd completely scatters. Wow, Seokmin really doesn’t have fans anymore.

 

Seokmin waves his full signup sheets in his face but whatever; Soonyoung has got that important one member. So what if he’s got a ton of not-his-fangirls joining in name? Soonyoung has a Michael Jackson fan. Seokmin can literally and figuratively Beat It.  

 

a/n: and yes chan has been summoned!! hope y'all enjoy it ^-^ comments are loved~