Cupid

School Wars

Just because Soonyoung is on really good terms with Seokmin right now doesn’t mean they can’t fight. Like right now, where they have Seungkwan on the chalk line in the middle of the rooftop shed.

 

“Support the Rock Band! I was sick the last time. I deserve better! You always ditch me for Soonyoung just because you’ve known him longer. Do you even treat me as a friend?”

 

“You also know what happened to the Dance Club the last team. It’s obvious who you should support. I’ll be the saddest okay. And we can call being best friends off.”

 

Seungkwan almost wishes he didn’t come to find his friends today. He did not walk all the way here just to listen to these two idiots argue. Speaking of which, whose bright idea was it to stick these two petty people together? Oh right, it was his. Damn, he should go back and stop his foolish past self. All he wanted was his best friends to play nice with each other so he could have sleepovers. Instead all he got was two idiots who squabble like five-year-olds and despite being friends still don’t want to play nice. Ugh, why did he have to put up with this?

 

“I’ll be there to support both of you, okay. You both will do so well I’ll end up crying like a proud mama bear or something.”

 

"You should support me!"

 

"No, me!"  

 

“Rock Band!”

 

“Dance Club!”

 

And like this Seungkwan gets rushed on both sides. Sandwiched by two guys taller than him, how is that fair? Well, Jihoon is shorter than him so there’s still some justice in this world. He must have traded his height for fabulous. Which sounds pretty good, except why can’t he have both? Maybe then he could fend the bickering duo off him and won’t be sprawled on the floor. Directly on the chalk line too. Hey, the line is really blurred now. There are clear gaps and everything. And is that the drum kit halfway over the Line?

 

He smiles. Heh, looks like these two fools really are okay with one another now. Even though he’s fabulous, Seungkwan doesn’t know exactly how. Seokmin is kind of a prickly person, difficult to get to know. And Soonyoung closed off a lot after the whole Dance Club incident. To see them both get along, even if he’s getting harassed between the both of them, Seungkwan is really glad.

 

The whole thing would be way cuter if they could get off his back and stop pretending to hate each other though.

 

“I’m so hurt! Do you even treat me as a friend? You don’t call me to bug me as much as you used to”

 

“Yeah, you’ve been spending so much time with your girlfriend. I’ve been so lonely, I’m heartbroken. This is what your best friend will die of, okay.”

 

“Well you two have each other!”

 

Soonyoung’s eyes go wide. Well, as wide as his cute eyes can go. And Seokmin has turned away, turning his chin up like he’s got something to hide.

 

Well, what did Seungkwan say wrong now? It’s true, now these two people have been staying in school until late to practice for the festival and put the finishing touches on their performances, obviously they have each other! Boo Seungkwan is supposed to be the king of overreaction, people are supposed to pay attention to him. What's with these two people and trying to one-up him on reactions to random innocent statements? 

 

Hang on.

 

Is that a blush on Seokmin’s face? Is that reddish tinge really creeping up on his cheeks? And is Soonyoung suddenly staring at his shoes like they’re the most interesting things in the room because they’re not, because Boo Seungkwan is the second most fabulous thing in the world? (His girlfriend is the most fascinating and fabulous thing. To Seungkwan, at least.)

 

Seungkwan sits up so suddenly. Sharply rising up that both Seokmin and Soonyoung can’t keep him down, not as of they were even trying any longer. It’s like the strength left both their arms. What the hell is going on? Is it what he’s thinking it is?

 

“We don’t like each other at all!”  Soonyoung splutters.  

 

“We don’t have each other.” Seokmin says. It almost sounds perfectly calm, but it trembles with a certain air of uncertainty.

 

Oh. My. God.

 

These aren’t just his two regular fool friends being idiots. They’re being the biggest idiots Seungkwan has seen them be in their entire lives.

 

Because right now Seokmin and Soonyoung are fools in love.

 

L-O-V-E.

 

Soonyoung and Seokmin sitting in the Rooftop Shed, A-R-G-U-I-N-G. Since that seems to be the only way his dishonest and stupidly shy friends can seem to communicate. So instead of kissing, the argue. Bad life choices, seriously. 

 

Well, he can’t blame them. Seungkwan is as guilty of not saying anything to his girlfriend because how do you think of something smart to say to a female goddess? It’s really difficult. And he has a tendency to make a fool of himself when he’s nervous, and like hell was he nervous.

 

Still, why is he the collateral damage? There’s got be a better way for them to flirt without taking out all their unresolved tension on him. Boo Seungkwan is innocent, ladies and gentlemen! He was not trying to put them together, unlike how he was way too eager to shove Mingyu and Wonwoo together in any confined space in hopes they’d confess. Which all sadly backfired because Mingyu decided to use his brains and come out of the closet (heh) somehow.

 

So really, he shouldn’t be punished for this. He didn’t serve as a matchmaker or anything! All he did was try to make them get along.

 

All he did was convince them that other was really a good person and not some strange evil guy who conned Seungkwan into being friends with. (Boo is not gullible okay.)

 

He suggested they should be friends. Not only because that would be better for him okay, but because it’s always good to make more friends. And what would be better for Seungkwan than for them to get along? Okay, that was Seungkwan’s self-interest. But only 50%! Or 75%!

 

And hosted sleepovers for them together. Which reminds him, the fact that Pony-Pony and Mr. Fluffles got to sit together should have rang alarm bells back then. Soonyoung and Seokmin are stupidly possessive over stuffed toys.  

 

And yeah, he possibly broke the bro code, friendship code, Morse code, whatever code to share the other’s secrets. Believe blindly that it’ll be better for both of them in the end. Trust them to understand and help each other.

 

And secretly cheer them on when they started playing nice, when they actually became friends and started helping each other. Hold back in situations where he’d normally be the first person rushing to help and let Seokmin or Soonyoung do it. 

 

Hell, it totally sounds like he was playing Cupid. Actively shipping them from day 1, even when they were bitter enemies eager to chew each other’s heads off. The captain of the Soonyoung and Seokmin ship, SS SoonSeok. Unintentionally. For once, Boo had no idea what he was getting himself into. Just sincrely trying to do his best for the both of them.

 

Except at this point it’s become really obvious that Seokmin is the best for Soonyoung. And Soonyoung is the best for Seokmin. Maybe he should have known earlier, from the way Seokmin found it so easy to cheer Soonyoung up or how Soonyoung so naturally became close to Seokmin, bypassing all his usual defences that comes with his mistrusting attitude.

 

Maybe they are right when they accuse him of being distracted by his girlfriend these days. He should have noticed how Seokmin mellows out near Soonyoung, his sharp tongue a little blunted when it comes to Soonyoung and cutting words lacking that edge that digs into the flesh. He should have seen from how Soonyoung seems a little brighter, more confident these days. Almost back to his old cheery self when he’s fighting spiritedly with Seokmin over some silly thing or another, like Physics grades or which club is better.

 

It wasn’t aliens. It’s that strange cosmic force that inflicts most mortals, fluttery pink feelings called love. And it has spread to the two of his closest friends whom he always wants to see happy.

 

Screw being accidental Cupid, Boo Seungkwan is going to be Cupid. He’s always wanted to be the interfering matchmaker after seeing how much fun those two had messing around with his love life. And is fate funny, he can do both of them at once.

 

Someone up there loves Boo Seungkwan. Well, he’s always known that.

 

“Anyway! You better support the Dance Club. Or I’m disowning you.” Soonyoung’s face is totally red right now as he pretends to practice his moves in front of the mirror or something.

 

“You’re already unfriended. You better support the Rock Band or I won’t friend you again.” Seokmin is now randomly drumming up a beat, but he drops the drumsticks. As if Mingyu’s carelessness has possessed his body.

 

Even now, they so hard at being honest. Really, if friendship could be broken that easily Seungkwan would have been disowned and unfriended a dozen times over. That’s kind of the emptiest threat they could issue, really. Even emptier than Jihoon saying he’s taller than Seungkwan (what lies).  

 

“Then you can be friends with each other! And live in a blissful world with just two of you filled with laughter and love!”

 

Seungkwan can see the idea register in their heads, the small wistful smile that crosses both their faces. It’s kind of disgusting. And cute. But too quickly, that face morphs into something Seungkwan is far more familiar with.

 

It’s the “hey we have a mutual enemy let’s make him suffer instead” face.

 

“Seriously. If you don’t support the Dance Club I’ll be sad. I might even cry. And a sad Soonyoung doesn’t go home with you.”

 

“And if you dare abandon the Rock Band I’ll spill all the dirt on you to your girlfriend. I’ve got this whole stack of embarrassing stories.”

 

. It looks like they’ve just bonded over temporary dislike towards him and a desire to see him suffer. While matchmaker Boo is delighted at the turn of events, Seungkwan isn’t that elated. He’s got to find the perfect way to support both of them at once. In a significant and meaningful way. Because if Soonyoung and Seokmin are both something, they’re both picky.

 

And in love. Awwww. 

 

a/n: :> :> i'm really excited about seventeen's comeback haha. hope ya'll enjoyed this update too!! comments are loved as always <33