numbers and swings

Namjin Drabbles

6 years, 20 weeks, 5 days, 8 hours, 2 minutes and 36 seconds. That’s how old Namjoon was when he first met Seokjin, who was 7 years, 8 weeks, 5 days, 8 hours, 2 minutes and 36 seconds old.

 

Namjoon liked to count, but he liked swings too. That was where he first met Seokjin. He was outside with his dad, and they had gone to the park. When they arrived, he made a beeline for the swings. They were his favourite things in the world, besides numbers of course. Numbers were amazing, they never lied to you if you counted right. It was accurate and numbers were just fun to play with. Swings were also fun since you could control how high you went and when you go really high, it’s like you can see the whole world! Namjoon really liked swings.

 

He skipped happily towards the empty swing at the end of the row and sat down. He began to kick his feet, but stopped when a boy around his age ran right in front of him.

 

“Hey! You’ll get kicked if you do that!” Namjoon yelled out.

 

“Sorry! They’re chasing me so I didn’t look where I was going. Oh they’re coming again, bye!” The boy yelled over his shoulder and kept running. Namjoon looked back in the direction the boy had run from. There was no one there.

 

That was the first time Namjoon met Seokjin. His first impression of him was simply ‘weird’. There was no one behind him, but he was being chased? How does that even work? He merely ignored him at first, but the same thing happened the next few times he went to the park.

 

Today was the fifth time in a week Namjoon had gone to the park. He sat down at the swings as usual, but didn’t start swinging this time. He waited for the boy to come again, but he didn’t so Namjoon started to swing. Suddenly the boy appeared in front of him. Namjoon immediately pulled to a stop and almost fell out of the seat of the swing.

 

“You again? Why do you always appear the moment I start swinging?” Namjoon burst out rather loudly. The other boy flinched, and Namjoon felt bad for a little bit.

 

“I’m sorry…” The boy said, as he looked at his feet. He looked like he was about to cry, and Namjoon started to panic. He didn’t mean to make him cry, it was just kind of frustrating when you get interrupted from doing one of your most favourite things in the world constantly.

 

“It’s okay, just stop crying geez.” Namjoon got out of his seat and stood in front of the boy.

 

The boy sniffled and looked up, “Okay.” Namjoon suddenly wanted to make friends with this boy.

 

“Hey, what’s your name? I’m Namjoon. I’m 6 years old and I can count up to 300!” Namjoon introduced himself as they walked towards a nearby bench.

 

“I’m Seokjin, but my friends call me Jin. I’m 7 years old, and um, I can count up to 1000?” Seokjin replied nervously, wiping at his nose with his sleeve.

 

“Woah 1000? That’s so cool! I wanna count up to 1000!” Namjoon exclaimed, eyes shining. Maybe Seokjin wasn’t so weird after all, he’s good at counting, and counting earns an automatic ‘cool’ in Namjoon’s book. Jin giggled, and Namjoon blushed a deep red. Did Jin think he was weird for liking to count?

 

“What, I like counting. Don’t laugh at me.” Namjoon pouted, and looked away, eyebrows scrunched. Jin stopped giggling and moved his head to look straight at Namjoon’s face.

 

“I’m not laughing at you, I just think it’s funny that someone thinks I’m cool. Counting is fun, I can see why you like it. Swinging is more fun though.” Jin smiled at him. Namjoon flushed red again.

 

“Counting is better.” Namjoon said under his breath, still pouting slightly. Jin giggled again.

 

“So why do you always show up when I’m swinging?” Namjoon asked, remembering his initial question. It was Jin’s turn to flush red.

 

“Um, well, I just saw you one day and thought you looked like a fun person, so I wanted to be friends with you. But, um, I guess I’m not very good at making friends, so I didn’t know how to approach you.” Jin stuttered out, playing with his fingers.

 

Namjoon blinked once. Blinked twice. Thrice. And then he collapsed on the floor laughing.

 

“Seriously? That’s it? You could’ve literally just came up to me and said hi let’s be friends.” Namjoon laughed, almost tearing up.

 

Jin blushed so red, he rivaled a ripe tomato, and all he could do was open and close his mouth like a fish.

 

“W-well it’s not my fault I have no people skills!” Jin managed to get a sentence out in the midst of his embarrassment.

 

Namjoon finished laughing and got up, wheezing and wiping away tears.

 

“Well then, let’s be friends.” Namjoon grinned. Jin looked at Namjoon, and grinned back.

 

“Okay!”


And then they raced to the swings.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've written anything, and midterms are coming up for me (T^T) so here's a really quick really short drabble! I hope you guys like it, and as always please do feel free to comment! I appreciate every single one I get!

-Chrystiemallow