Book 1, Chapter 8: Meetings, Meetings, and More Meetings

Playing For Keeps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hyemi!” 

 

The girl was clad in pink that day. Pink headband, pink floral dress and pink leggings and… Okay, she has white shoes. 

 

White sandals. Not good in her book, but at least they weren’t the same shade of baby pink. 

 

Don’t get me wrong, she kind of loved pink, when it wasn’t on Hyemi. Not that she hated the girl, either. The girl, in question, was a good girl, she had to give her that. She was pretty smart, pretty cute, and she could see why Donghyuk liked her. 

 

Hyemi literally loved Donghyuk to bits, to the point when she had no essence of herself left in her, and that made Donghyuk a little too crazy for her, as well. They were both so caught up in their love, she could see no essence of her baby brother left in him, and she hated that. She hated that such a nice girl, Hyemi, could do little else but to be Donghyuk’s wife, and shivering, she dreaded to know what would happen after their marriage. Two distinct personalities that she loved, merging into one, sappy family, both giving up on their dreams just to be there for each other? This relationship could go nowhere, because Hyemi won’t be able to focus on her dream of taking over her mother’s magazine company, and Donghyuk wouldn’t be able to push himself to become better at basketball, and they were both holding the other down. 

 

No way around it, she just had to stop this. 

 

“Yes, unnie?” Hyemi, bless her soul, still bounced over to her, hope in her eyes. Despite the number of times Jaemin put her down and criticized her, her not getting upset at her and still tried her best with Jaemin, that was pretty remarkable. 

 

“I’m really sorry, about yesterday. I shouldn’t have criticized you that badly.” 

 

“It’s okay.” Hyemi brushed it off, so easily that Jaemin raised her eyebrows. “I mean, you want the best for Hyukkie, right? I want the best for him too.” 

 

Young love, how selfless. 

 

“Unnie, why did you call me out here, anyway?” Hyemi settled down into the comfortable cafe chair, and Jaemin raised her head from her phone, catching the eye of a handsome, tall, lone figure sitting next to the cafe door. He raised his own phone, and she put down hers, trying to stifle a chuckle. 

 

“I just thought that, you know, we should get to know each other more. I haven’t really got the chance to get to know you that much, you know?” She smiled, trying to make herself as earnest as possible. Of course, the smile probably came out as a grimace, an uneasy baring of her teeth, but Hyemi seemed to buy it pretty easily. 

 

“Oh. Um, my mother is the magazine of Vogue Korea, they do issues on basketball sometimes so I came to get to know Donghyuk at one of the games. We started talking and this relationship just sort of happened.” 

 

“Ah…” Jaemin wasn’t really sure how to continue, and her phone beeped. Swiping it up, she saw a message from the tall, handsome, lone figure from across the room. “Um, so did Donghyuk tell you what I do for a living?” Jaemin lowered her voice and put down the phone before it became too suspicious that there was a living puppeteer from the other side of the room. 

 

 

“So.” Her voice reached his ears before the awkward silence could reach its peak. He was thankful to that, too, he didn’t really fancy talking to a girl first. After all, he was getting married in two months, what if his natural friendliness was taken as flirtation? He dreaded for that to be on his conscience, and he didn’t want to lead anyone on, either. 

 

“Um, I’m Donghyuk. In case I didn’t get to be introduced that well yesterday.” He stuck out his hand. Yerin was currently in the spare guest room above his, and while it was nice knowing that the room above him wasn’t empty anymore, it actually felt kind of weird now that he had to adjust his schedule to fit hers. 

 

A day, and he already knew what kind of music she liked, from the muted, heavy pounding on the soundproof walls told him that it was probably something similar to the raps that Jaemin liked to blast day and night. 

 

He also knew that she liked to wake up at around six, to leave her room and use the pool, since he had a very clear view of the pool from his room, and he had woken up to the sound of splashing from her swimming laps. 

 

He had counted forty laps, finished in a pretty fast record. He hadn’t counted, but he knew that it was probably faster than Jiwon, which was a pretty fast record since Jiwon had beaten out some professional swimmers before. This girl was fit, he had to admit it. 

 

And she came down for breakfast at the same time as the rest of them, which meant she finished showering really quickly. For the rest of the day, she was in the kitchen, and then she went back to her room, then came back to the kitchen. 

 

It was after lunch, and he had wandered into the kitchen to find her reading a book on the bar counter, a bottle of freshly blended juice on the side. Noting the missing banana and orange in from the fruit basket, he guessed that she was probably adhering to the strict diet that most players had been put on by their coaches. 

 

“Donghyuk. Pleased to meet you.” She folded the page, then casually took a swig out of her blended juice and studied him, cocking her head to the side, and for some reason, he suddenly felt a little self-conscious, feeling her intense eyes rake over him. 

 

On Yerin’s part, she really was scrutiniz

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter