Book 1, Chapter 11: New Plans

Playing For Keeps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He counted six steps as she skipped up the stairs, meaning the girl practically hurtled up with the speed of a cheetah, taking around two to three steps at a time. He heard the way she slammed the door closed as she jumped onto the bed, the springs creaking dully and the way her head, or maybe her arm, hit the wall behind the bed with a dull thump, and a muffled curse. 

 

Then it was the sound of the music again. 

 

He knew, more than any other person, that music helped to relieve stress. Especially, given the hectic schedule and game seasons of a professional basketball player. His team had helped him along the way, bringing joy and laughter to his life, and to be honest, he had no idea where he would be without the support of his teammates. Teammates who, in retrospect, he had been neglecting as Hyemi had appeared in his life. Then it had been a different type of joy, but he realized, as the soft strains of a guitar came into his hearing again, he hadn’t felt this kind of peace for a long time. Perhaps that was the cons of a relationship that Jinhwan had been warning him about, he would never feel complete without the other one by his side. 

 

But then again, he saw Hanbin doing just fine with his steady girlfriend. Yunhyeong was just as friendly and angelic as ever with his angel, and he hadn’t mentioned the other girl, ever, during training, and only replied with a happy ‘she’s great, we’re great’ when asked. Jiwon hadn’t really changed through his entire relationship, he’d still smiled the same way after the breakup. He hadn’t been that affected, actually, not like how he envisioned himself if Hyemi were to leave him. Not that she ever would. 

 

Then his mind wandered back to his sister. 

 

She had dated a few times before. One guy, however, meant the world to her. They did everything together, and he had gone home one off-season, to find her locked in her room, crying. 

 

She had said that she loved him so much, that she didn’t want to be herself anymore. And that was what scared her the most, so she ended things. 

 

In fact, Jaemin had been so much happier some time after the breakup, he had wondered if the guy was so important to her in the first place. 

 

And Hyemi, now, oddly, reminded him of how Jaemin was like, back then. 

 

Maybe that was why his sister hated Hyemi so much, because she reminded her of a possessive, indulging relationship that was just plain unhealthy. 

 

Sitting up, and tossing his book aside, he opened his room door. 

 

Hyemi had to report back to her mother that day for not going back to work for the past month. That made it a month since his sister had come back into his life, and a month of dramas. Two weeks since Hanbin first introduced his little sister to the team, and in two short weeks, she had wormed her way into everyone’s heart. Even Hyemi’s. And Haewon’s. And Jaemin’s. 

 

Hell, even Jinhwan doted on her. 

 

And Donghyuk himself, wasn’t that resistant to those fierce almond eyes after all. 

 

 

“He’s in her room.” 

 

“He’s what?” 

 

“Your brother is in your best friend’s room.” Junhoe sounded bored. 

 

Technically, she shouldn’t be the one talking because he was in her room too, but there was a difference, she conceded. He was in her room because they had to talk about how to break up the Hyemi-Donghyuk wedding, but her little brother was in Yerin’s room because…

 

Because nothing. He was there for no apparent purpose, and this could only mean one thing. 

 

Scientific research has proven that platonic relationships can never exist between man and woman. 

 

Which meant… 

 

“We have to get them alone together again. Right now. Stat. Operation find Dong a new girlfriend commences now.” 

 

She could practically hear the angels singing, with a choir of heavenly saints breathing joy and happiness down onto earth. If Donghyuk fancied Yerin, then that, was the answer to all her problems. The marriage would be void, and the younger girl would be… 

 

“Hold up. Donghyuk is loyal to Hyemi. There’s no way that he would willingly even cheat on her.” 

 

The angels just fell very ungracefully from heaven. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter