Book 1, Chapter 6: Ready, Set, Go

Playing For Keeps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m not amused.” 

 

“I’m your big sister.” Jaemin retorted. “I’m not amused with your existence either.” 

 

Donghyuk baulked. Years of not being together with the older girl had made him forget what a sharp tongue she possessed. Flinching a little, he stepped backwards. “I just don’t like how you just disappeared off with a guy the second day you got to know him.” 

 

“For the record, one, I didn’t get drunk.” Jaemin pushed a hand through her hair and stared at the boy, peacefully sleeping. “Two, I didn’t run off with him, he invited me nicely and I went alone. Three, I’m bloody twenty-five and I’m older than you, which automatically gives me right to do things that you disapprove of.” 

 

“You should lead by example.” Donghyuk rolled his eyes, and she resisted the sudden urge to strangle someone as Hyemi picked into the corridor from behind a door. “You were the one who was so reluctant on letting me and Hyemi get married. Now you--” 

 

“Listen, punk.” Jaemin hissed, her voice dipping lower and Donghyuk actually took a step back, nervous. “I’m not getting married to him. (Yue A/N: Not YET, lol) That’s different. You, dear brother, are the one who is clearly in the wrong.” 

 

“Hey, oppa… Are you two done talking?” Hyemi had her head bent, eyes on Jaemin, with a slightly awkward smile on her face. She was tiny, Jaemin noted, and barely came up to Donghyuk’s chin with platform shoes. 

 

Can’t you see that we are actually trying to have a decent conversation here? What is up with you, butting me away every time you see me trying to talk to Donghyuk without you? What’s up, girl, seriously? Can’t bear to keep your hands off him for a second? 

 

“I guess we are.” Donghyuk turned from her, then his arm settled in the crook of her waist. “Bye, Jaemin. I’ll see you in the evening.” 

 

His tone, resigned, tired, weary, cut through her heart like a knife and twisted the little broken pieces around, and around, and around, until it hurt to breathe. 

 

Where had her sweet little brother gone to? This wasn’t like him at all. 

 

Standing at the door, she watched as his back faded from view, and she gave a little sigh, head hitting the doorframe in exasperation.

 

“See, I told you he changed.” A raspy voice interrupted her inner monologue and at this point in time, she already knew him well enough to be able to tell from the clear, deep rasp that it was him talking. 

 

“I didn’t imagine it would be this much.” 

 

“Are you convinced now?” He mumbled, peeking over his shoulder. Hyemi and Donghyuk were down at the pool. He was looking pretty dejected, but the girl was practically draped around him in a hug, crooning words into his ears that had him smiling merrily again in no time. 

 

“You’re right.” Jaemin sighed. “They love the other more than they love themselves now.” 

 

“Mission start?” He held out his hand, and raised an eyebrow. “I’m not going to force you into this, this is your own decision.” 

 

He stared for a moment. 

 

Was it really worth it? She questioned her decision as her brows furrowed. It didn’t seem very worth it… After all, Hyemi did bring Donghyuk happiness, she would be blind not to see that. Was it really worth it taking away the two lovebirds’ love, crushing it between the palms of her hands and spoil such an innocent, pure and idealistic view of a relationship and of marriage? 

 

Then she looked at the two of them again. 

 

He used to aim that sunny, bright smile at everybody. 

 

Now, it was only reserved for her. 

 

Everything he did revolved around her, and everything she did, him. There was no sense of identity, of self anymore. Everything was for the other person, and if that included crossing a sibling, crossing a loved one, for the other, they would do it. 

 

It simply wasn’t healthy, and she knew, from experience, that Donghyuk was going to suffer. 

 

Badly. 

 

“Mission start.” She grabbed his hand, and gave it a firm shake. 

 

 

"They're young." 

 

"Inexperienced." Junhoe agreed. "Ready?" 

 

The two of them huddled behind a case of pearly, marble white stairs. 

 

“Seriously though, this idea was pretty genius.” She muttered, watching as Junhoe shot her a self-assured smirk. “Oh, I know.” 

 

Turning around, she slapped his shoulder, then he flinched under her hard hand. “Yah--” 

 

“Excuse me? The two of you want us to look into these two bank account

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter