Book 1 Chapter 2: Meeting The Team

Playing For Keeps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Donghyuk."

 

He started.

 

Out of all the years he had been with the team, sweating it out at the gym, tossing each other onto the bleachers in high school and teasing each other about hot cheerleaders, this was the first time he was feeling estranged.

 

"Hanbin Hyung." He greeted, almost dipping into a bow before he realised that this was a teammate that he was talking to. Bowing was unnecessary, but the sheer force of the older's gaze was giving him the creeps.

 

The older boy walked over, and casually slung an arm over his shoulder.

 

"You have a sister, right?"

 

"Hanbin Hyung, if you want a date with my noona, I could probably set you up but don't you already have a girl?" He stuffed a banana slice into his mouth, mumbled something about proteins, then jovially grabbed an apple and placed it on a plate, humming to himself as he sliced it.

 

Hanbin’s mouth was shut, and it was a good five seconds before Donghyuk realized that the team leader wasn’t saying anything.

 

“Holy , you’re not actually thinking about a date, are you?” He was only half joking, as his eyes went wide open at the leader’s uncomfortable shuffling, which suddenly drew to a halt at his exclamation.

 

“No, of course not! I’d never cheat on my girlfriend.” He hissed to the youngest member of the team, who immediately jumped back. “Geez, don’t have to get so defensive.” Finishing the apples, he swallowed the banana, then popped an apple slice into his mouth as he shut the fridge with his hip, carefully balancing the fruit platter on one hand while grabbing the bottle of plain water using the other.

 

“What about my sister, anyway?”

 

“If she had to come and stay over here at the house for a week, would you want me to say yes, or no?”

 

Donghyuk was a little peeved and miffed at the question. Yes, it had been his sister’s hard work that he was able to train with the country’s best coaches and finally make it into the team, but to finally live with her again, under one roof… That was something that he would rather not get used to.

 

After all, he was going to be a married man soon, no more sister babysitting him.

 

“Why would she even stay over at the house anyway?” He chewed, thoughtfully. “She’s in Seoul, close enough. And we’re almost always constantly flying anyway.”

 

“Not for now.” Hanbin walked over and took a slice off his plate. He watched as the older ate, purposely avoiding his gaze, and Donghyuk suddenly came to a realization.

 

“Did you manage to persuade her to come to the wedding!” He tossed the (plastic) plate onto the counter and pounced onto the older, almost making Hanbin choke on the fruits.

 

“What? Wow, hey, that’s taking it a little too far.”

 

“So, no?” Donghyuk was still on his back, clinging onto the older like a baby koala. Hanbin suppressed a smile-- this was the youngest member of their playing team, and he had looked after Donghyuk since the kid was barely thirteen. That was more than ten years together, so Donghyuk was like the little younger brother he had never had.

 

“About that, I wanted to talk to you--”

 

“Yes, I know. No skipping out on contracts, no missing any game, no having kids too early because it’s a distraction to me and it will be pulling my team down. Got it.”

 

“It’s hard to believe you are serious when you’re on my back and I can’t look you in the eye.” Hanbin lumbered out of the kitchen, platter of fruits forgotten.

 

Two minutes later, Chanwoo snuck in and stole it.

 

~

 

“So, Jinhwan oppa.” She greeted, as the man helped her load her luggage into the back of his SUV. “Long time.”

 

“Haven’t seen you in so long, bugger.” He grinned back. “How’s things going?”

 

“It’s going.” She pulled a face. “Been to a few games here and there, got selected for the female international team but I dropped out.”

 

“What?” Jinhwan almost dropped the second bag in surprise. “You got selected for the national Seoul Women’s category?”

 

“But it’s no use because we won’t win anything anyway.” She shrugged. “I’d rather sit behind a desk and look at astrology.”

 

“Dude, the Seoul Women’s team is huge.” Jinhwan shook his head. “I don’t know why you’d decline the offer.”

 

“Actually, I love basketball but I don’t want to turn it into a job.” She slid into the car, slamming the door shut as Jinhwan motioned towards her seatbelt. “It just doesn’t feel right, you know? Playing recreationally is one thing, but professional playing is a little tough.”

 

There was a brief silence as they rolled out of the train station, heading towards the ginormous house in the suburbs.

 

“What changed, by the way?” Jaemin broke the silence after a while, even though

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter