Book 1, Chapter 9: Plastic Surgery, Barriers and a Whole New Mess

Playing For Keeps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oppa!” 

 

“Are you ing kidding me, Hyemi?” Donghyuk raced up to the girl, and Jaemin wrinkled her nose at the cloud of dust that the younger kicked up. The basketball training had clearly not been in vain, and she looked up, only to find Junhoe wearing a similar disgruntled expression on his face. The people around them were starting to point and stare, and she sighed. 

She had completely forgotten to factor in the possibility that there would be so many people at the plastic surgery clinic that day. But then again, how was she supposed to know so many people were unsatisfied with their own faces? 

 

Junhoe let a hand rest on her right shoulder and steer her away from the whispering crowd, pulling her closer to him and she was thankful for the sudden distraction, allowing her to keep her mind focused on the task at hand. Somehow, through the weeks of plotting together, the two of them had gotten close, to the point that their reactions to the same situation was almost the same. Of course, he still had a touch of that annoying sass and downright rudeness, and she still wore the same aloof, detached attitude. Not a very good combination, but for the sake of their plan, they could put everything aside. 

 

“That’s the first time I’ve heard him swear in front of Hyemi, by the way.” He muttered, and she shrugged. “I think it’s around time we disappeared…” 

 

“Would you rather he make a scene with strangers around, or would you rather he scream at the both of us back at the house and get another lecture from Hanbin?” Junhoe snorted. “I’d say strangers are more preferable. Come on, let’s go explain ourselves.” 

 

 

“Did you seriously think I would be moved by this attitude?” Donghyuk was trying his best to not flare up at the girl before him, who looked close to tears. Scratch that, she was already tearing up. 

 

The only reason why she wanted to do this was to be perfect for him. And if that meant she had to get plastic surgery to change her face completely, then she would do it. Horoscope, numerology, everything else was beyond her control, but faciology? Completely within her reach, and she would change herself if that meant that the fate of their marriage could be better. She had googled, and gotten a hold of an online faciologist. The old woman had been kind enough to do a sketch up of her face, and the plastic surgeon that she had consulted with had said that it wasn’t completely unachievable. 

 

It would require a lot of work, but it could be done. 

 

“But, oppa… I--” 

 

“Your face is perfect just the way it is! Why would you want to change it? And you say you want to change it for me?” Donghyuk’s normally sweet smile was nowhere to be seen, and not even a hint of the glowing, playful shine in his eyes could be found. He was pissed, very pissed. 

 

“Jaemin.” His tone was almost dangerous. Normally, Jaemin would have laughed, because his sweet, high voice completely didn’t fit the deep, dangerous growl that it had dipped into right now. Yet, she felt a prickle of dread up her back, not because of fear, but because of guilt. 

 

She had caused this. 

 

“Did you seriously hate Hyemi this much?” 

 

“Donghyuk, I--” 

 

“She had nothing to do with it!” Hyemi yelled, throwing the papers at Donghyuk, who barely even flinched. His eyes flickered to her, and she did a double take. 

 

He had never looked that fierce, save for on the court, Junhoe observed from the sidelines. Bending down, he gathered the scattered papers, eyes flickering from the fighting trio and everyone else staring. Stretching up, he aimed a dismissive glance at one of the security guards, who read his unspoken message and hurried to move the crowd along. 

 

Pros of being a major, pro-league basketball player. 

 

“Jaemin unnie didn’t ask me to do anything! We were talking about her job, and she mentioned astrology, so I went back to Google faciology and…” 

 

“And you decide to turn yourself into someone else? I fell in love with all of you, Hyemi. How could you bear to change that? Do you not love yourself as much as I do?” 

 

“I do! But I love you more!” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter