Book 1, Chapter 10: Family

Playing For Keeps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Five to one, Hanbin, you .” 

 

Hanbin was not having a very good day. 

 

He had known that his sister was good, but he hadn’t known that the little baby tripping over her own little high-tops (too big for her feet back then) had already grown to be a professional player. 

 

And she was a lot better than most of the other guys on the team, which said a lot. 

 

Speed and strength, she obviously couldn’t match up, but that girl had a brain, and her technique was solid. Then again, she and Hanbin had trained together when they were little, so whatever he knew, she should know. Plus the fact that Yerin was as, if not more, ambitious than him, and if she wanted to do something, she would see it through to the very, very end. 

 

It was also part of the reason why he hadn’t exactly bothered to force her back into the women’s pro team. He knew that she would find her own way back eventually, because basketball was, and will, always be her first love. 

 

“I really hate you, you know.” He tossed the ball over and she caught it, the groove a few inches away from her face. Bending down in one fluid motion, she bounced it on the palms of her hands. Her wrists moved up and down, naturally, and her knees came down in a half bend. 

 

“Ready for another round?” 

 

They were playing in pairs, one-on-one. So far, Jaemin had played with Donghyuk, which was a pretty amusing game, because Jaemin was obviously less of a technician than Donghyuk was. Donghyuk’s technique and form was flawless, and he was exceptionally disciplined, but he lacked a certain sense of wildness and recklessness that came with a burning passion for the sport, like Hanbin and Yerin, and maybe Jiwon and Yunhyeong. Jaemin, on the other hand, was a little rusty on the technique, but she was reckless, and Donghyuk could barely catch up with her agile and lithe forming flying around the court. 

 

Donghyuk had lost, obviously, Jaemin sending him a taunt from the other side of the court while he pointedly turned his nose up into the air and stalked off in a mocking display of anger, only to run back and hug her despite her protests of him being sticky and disgusting. The fight had obviously calmed down between the two, and he was as playful as ever with his older sister. 

 

Sports really did play a big part in bridging gaps, and watching the two of them from the other side of the court, Junhoe was waiting his turn with Jiwon, and he watched as Donghyuk playfully shoved at Jaemin, and Jaemin kick him back, all in routine, simple movements that were almost habitual for the both of them. 

 

He admired their relationship a lot, he realized, and a wry smile lit up his face without even realizing it. 

 

~

 

“Jiwon hyung…” 

 

“Yes, baby boy?” Jiwon reached out a hand to ruffle the younger’s hair affectionately. Chanwoo sniffed, patting his hand away amicably before smoothing down the tangled locks. “I think June hyung is in love.” 

 

“With Jaemin?” 

 

“On the first day, he didn’t blow up at her when he would have made me scrub his toilet for like one whole month, for throwing stuff at him. Then he brings her out on all his secret expeditions and none of us even know where they disappear off too. Even Donghyuk is getting jealous at him for hogging his sister so much.” 

 

“Wait, let me get this straight.” Jiwon had to stifle a laugh, flicking a lazy glance over at Hanbin and Yerin to make sure that they were still going head to head at the game. “You’re saying that the real reason why Donghyuk is prickly as hell these days is because he’s jealous of Junhoe spending so much time with Jaemin?” 

 

“Yeah, I mean Jaemin came here to attend his wedding. Now she’s not only trying her hardest to stop it with Junhoe, who happens to be the only one of us who is really against the marriage, she’s also flying off with him to God k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter