A Slip

Lucky Charm

A slam on the hood of the car startled the girl underneath, “ Sunny do you have to do that every time you want my attention?”

Sunny waited until Yuri rolled out from under the car to show her the paper in hand, “I researched the two from the race two days ago.”

Yuri wiped the oil off her hands as she got up from the creeper, “Just give me the highlights.”

Sunny sighed as she sat down in the swivel chair near Yuri’s workbench, “Both are from the USA…Sooyoung Choi was arrested twice for grand theft auto in her early teens but that seemed to halt the moment she got involved with an underground racing gang. She made a name for herself and took over the gang when the former leader got into a car crash. However that only lasted a few years until she showed up here.”

“Do you think that gang is trying to go overseas?”

“Not sure.”

“What about the Jessica girl with her.”

Sunny nodded her head, “nothing. When she was in the states, she had no known associates with the name Jessica so I couldn’t pull anything up. Nor did she travel with anyone associated with the name Jessica that was Asian.”

Yuri reached into her fridge to get out some water, “You thought Sooyoung had a benefactor, have you found a trace on who that might be?”

“Not really. She could be using money won from her gang activities…although the Jung Corporation peaked my interest.”

“Why?”

“You know Siwon owed us that favor for getting his car back? Well I had him track Sooyoung since the race. He said that she entered their building on at least 4 occasions.”

“Does she work there?”

“She isn’t a registered employee.”

Yuri sighed as she closed the cap to her water, “Sunny see if you can get into that building to find out more. Did you also print out the specs on the car?”

Sunny opened up her laptop, “of course. I made a replica of the interior.”

Yuri took a seat next to Sunny, “This is custom…”

Sunny scoffed, “Of course. Most cars get customized.”

“No…this car was gutted and rebuilt. I haven’t seen anything like this before.”

Sunny typed in a few codes to make the engine animate, “I ran this through a test drive program and I noticed that this make contradicts a few laws of motion.”

“Then how did this car run so smoothly?”

“I am still looking into that. It would be better if you could take a look under the hood. I can only see the electronics.”

Yuri leaned back in her chair, “This girl is already giving me a headache. I miss the old days where I just dominated and had easy money coming in.”

Sunny slapped Yuri, “I guess that means you should work harder here during the day time.”

“Sunny you might have to get a real job!”

Sunny laughed, “I make plenty doing private consulting.” The older girl closed her laptop, “I will see if I can get anything on the girl before the next race in a month. You just fix up your car and get work done around the shop.”

Yuri got up and hugged her friend, “you are the best!”

Sunny swatted the girl away, “yeah yeah I know you need someone to do your dirty work. Oh…Hyo is having a party tonight…coming?”

“Why is she having one again? She will go poor this way!”

“Hyo doesn’t need a reason to party but I am going since I am alone and single.”

Yuri laughed, “I guess I should be your wingman!”

“Don’t you dare! Every time you try to help, they either leave for you or you find some weird chick.”

Yuri waved her hands around, “I won’t I promise!”

Sunny glared at Yuri, “Fine…see you tonight.”

-------------------------------------

When the doors opened, Yuri was hit with the thumping of a heavy bass from the DJ. She looked around on the first floor for someone she knew but when she looked up to the second floor, she noticed some of her racing buddies. Making her way up to the second floor, Yuri managed to dodge a few drunk girls, “Seriously…drunk already…” the girl mumbled.

“Yuri!”

Yuri rolled her eyes seeing her friend Hyoyeon was also one of those drunk girls, “Hey Hyo…how early did you get here?”

“Not that early? TaeTae here has been buying!”

Yuri cringed at the mention of the other girl, “Oh?” Looking around, Yuri didn’t see the girl, “Where is she now?”

Hyoyeon shrugged, “Who knows…she left when Sunny arrived.”

Yuri smacked her face at the mention of the other girl, “…Are you sure you didn’t see where they went??”

Hyoyeon pointed to her friends, “I was here with them…Sunny came and left…don’t know where they would go.”

Yuri looked around the table for someone who might be sober, “Minho! Did you see where Sunny or Taeyeon left?”

Minho pointed towards the stairs, “they went up, but you can’t go into the private suites.”

Yuri clenched her fists, “We will see about that.” The girl was mad that Sunny was off with her ex whom she swore Sunny had a weak spot for although they broke up several years ago due to Taeyeon’s inability to keep her hands to herself when Sunny wasn’t around. However, it seems like Sunny was off with the girl again and was about to get hurt once again.

“Miss you can’t go up here.”

Yuri gave the man an evil glare, “I am here to see Taeyeon…a Kim Taeyeon.”

“I am sorry miss but we can’t do that.”

“Well tell her to get her back down here with my friend.”

The guards looked at each other before one left to go up to the room she assumed Taeyeon was in. Yet it didn’t take long for the guard to return, “I am sorry miss that room has instructions to not be disturbed.”

Yuri was ready to pull out her hair in frustration because she couldn’t get up those damn stairs.

“Well look who we have here.”

Yuri’s head whipped around fast when she heard the voice of a woman she claimed to be her sworn enemy, “Sooyoung?”

“Well it seems you remember my name.”

Yuri gave the woman a glare, “I need to know the people I am going to beat in the future.”

Sooyoung laughed, “yea sure.” The woman was ready to go past the guards when a hand clasped onto her wrist, “What the?”
Yuri swallowed down her pride, “Can I go with you?”

Sooyoung scoffed, “What?”

“I don’t want to go with you. My friend is up there and I need permission and all…”

Sooyoung looked at the guards before giving a long sigh, “Fine. Come with me.”

Yuri smiled in victory when she made it past the guards, “Thanks…I will ah see you around or something.”

Sooyoung smiled, “I am in room 5 if you and your friend want to join our little group. It is the least I could do for beating you. You know alcohol to drown out your sorrows?”

Yuri rolled her eyes, “I think that is the last place I want to be.”

Sooyoung smirked, “Fine…thought you might need it though. Good luck with your friend.”

Yuri nodded before she turned to look around the rooms. Lucky for her, there was only one room that had a sign for no service. Without a thought, Yuri kicked down the door to see Taeyeon all over her friend, “Sunny get off that couch right now!”

Taeyeon and Sunny separated with Yuri’s boisterous command, “Yuri?”

Seeing the two not separating, Yuri took matters into her own hand and went to grab Sunny off the couch, “We are going.”

“Are you sure Sunny wants to leave with you?”

Yuri gave the girl on the couch a sinister glare as she held onto Sunny’s wrist tightly, “I know she shouldn’t be left with you.”

Taeyeon laughed as she lit a cigarette, “Awww Yuri you always make me seem like the bad guy. Sunny came up with me on her own accord.”

“Yea well she doesn’t know what is good for her.”

Taeyeon reached forward to pour a drink, “Then why don’t you stay with us Yuri? That way you can keep your eyes on us. We were just about to talk business.”

Sunny looked up at Yuri, “Yuri…really it was for business.”

Yuri looked at the two women in disbelief, “Then what were Taeyeon’s hands doing on your…?”

“Oh Yuri don’t act like she is so innocent. Sunny and I are still close whether you like it or not.”

“I don’t. I would rather you stay away from her.”

Sunny finally snapped her wrist away from Yuri, “Yuri you can’t act like I am a kid. I know what I am doing. I think you should leave. Taeyeon is right that we have some business to take care of.”

Yuri gasped in disbelief, “I can’t believe you! After everything she does?? Really??”

Sunny ducked her head down before returning to the couch, “Yuri…I will see you tomorrow.”

Yuri laughed in disbelief, “Fine. Don’t come to my place crying and saying how much you thought she loved you. I don’t want to hear it when you do this to yourself.” Blinded by anger, Yuri left the room and nearly took out an innocent passerby, “ sorry.”

The girl looked down sadly at her dress which had reminants of whatever was in her glass before Yuri bumped into her, “It is fine…”

Wanting to rectify the situation, “I am really sorry…I can take you to the bathroom….”

“Jessica?” Just then Yuri remembered who this girl really was, “Yuri?”

Yuri looked up at Sooyoung who was now with them, “I ah…accidentally.”

Jessica looked up with a smile, “Sooyoung it was an accident. I was careless.”

Sooyoung eyed the two back and forth, “I see. How about we get you cleaned up back in the room.”

Yuri bowed, “I am really sorry Jessica.”

The girl laughed, “It isn’t a big deal…Yuri?”

Finally getting a good look at the girl, Yuri started to feel a bit shy…the girl was almost like a princess with her looks. So pretty that Yuri forgot about her problems related to Sunny for that instance, “Yea…”

 

 

 

 


Author's Note

Well I didn't get comments other than from one reader for the last chapter. Just want to know if you like the progress or not?

Thanks for reading.