Behind the Curtain

Lucky Charm

“Wow you look beautiful.” Yuri nearly had a nosebleed with Jessica in a strapless dress that accented her curves.

“Thanks. You look nice too.” Jessica stated shyly as she hooked her arm around Yuri’s arm, “welcome.”

“Jessica your place is...it is huge!”

Jessica giggled, “My family is a bit well off if you must know. A lot of important people here.”

“Will I know anyone?”

“Umm no racers I know except Sooyoung...she is probably by the food.”

“Ah.” Yuri didn’t know why but the mention of the other racer made her blood boil a bit, “so what do we do at parties like this for fun?”

Jessica cutely placed her finger below her chin as if she was thinking hard, “when I was little, I would just sneak out and have fun somewhere else. Unfortunately for us, I can’t do that today. You will have to bear with me on greeting tons of people I hardly know.”

“That’s fine. I just umm came to see you.”

Jessica hugged Yuri’s arm a little harder, “you are so sweet.”

“Ah Jessica I have been looking all over for you to ask where your father is.”

Yuri observed the middle-aged man from head to toe, “Father is in New York to take care of the business there.”

“Ah I see. Several of us on the board were wanting to discuss the new adventure your company proposed.”

“You can go and tell the board that it will be revealed tonight.”

Yuri raised a brow wondering what company her father owned, “Splendid. Is that why I see Mr. Lee, Mr. Kim and Mr. Soo?”

“We hope to make them our top investors in this project.”

“Wonderful. I can’t wait to hear about it tonight.”

“Thank you.”

After the man left, Yuri leaned closer to Jessica, “Jessica umm what does your father do?”

“He dabbles in a bit of everything but I’d rather not talk about him right now. Should we get a drink?”

Yuri furrowed her brows and fought of the urge to ask Jessica more, “Ah yea.”

“Good. Let’s go to the bar.”

Yuri reached down to take Jessica’s hand as the girl led her to the open bar, “two champagnes.”

“Yes, Ms. Jung.”

Taking the thin glass, Jessica tapped her glass with Yuri’s, “How about we make this night to us. Although this night is for daddy’s newest business adventure, I’d rather not make it all about him.”

“Alright. To us then.” Yuri wasn’t used to these fancy events and ended up downing the whole glass as Jessica giggled next to her.

“In a rush to get drunk?”

“What? No...umm usually with my group...toasts mean to drink it up.”

Jessica raised her brow before tipping the glass back, “like that?”

Yuri stood stunned, “y-yea like that.”

“You want another?”

Yuri shook her head, “I don’t normally drink...”

“If you won’t, then only I will get one.”

“Well well here by the drinks again Ms. Jung?”

Jessica turned to the familiar voice, “Oh my god Donghae oppa!”

Yuri stood by in jealousy as Jessica embraced the handsome man, “How are you doing?”

“Great! Why are you here?”

“Your father told me that you came back so I thought I would visit. Your family always hosts these huge parties every so often.”

“Yes, but this time because we are releasing a new venture.”

“Then I came at a good time to see if I should get into something new.”

“Still reckless with your parent’s money?”

“No risk, no reward Jessica.”

Jessica scoffed and nearly forgot about Yuri’s existence if it wasn’t for Sooyoung who showed up, “well well if it isn’t my rival.”

Yuri turned along with Jessica and Donghae who smiled brightly at the tall girl, “Sooyoung!”

“Donghae!”

Again, Yuri watched the friends hug, “why are you here?”

“I missed my friends. What did you say about rivals?”

Sooyoung turned to the ignored Yuri, “Was Jessica being bad and not introducing her girlfriend?”

Donghae, Yuri and Jessica looked very surprised at this revelation for all of them, “Girlfriend? Jessica you are dating again?”

“W-well...kind of. I don’t know, but this is Yuri. She and Sooyoung have a bit of a rivalry going on these days.”

Donghae observed Yuri, “So you race too?”

“Yea.”

“And you are dating my best friend here?”

“Well...I am not sure either. We didn’t discuss labels or anything.”

“It is simple. Did you kiss?”

Yuri turned a bright shade of red, “Err...”

Donghae laughed and slapped Jessica on the shoulder, “Totally dating! Great job Jessica! I told you to get back out there to forget that .”

Jessica rolled her eyes, “oh don’t get into that Donghae.”

Sooyoung interrupted, “Yea that is the past. Talking about it just brings up bad feelings.”

“Humm you are right Sooyoung.”

Yuri shuffled closer to Jessica to whisper, “Who is this guy?”

Jessica nearly choked on her drink just realizing that she never introduced her best friend to Yuri, “Oh my God. Donghae introduce yourself to Yuri properly.”

Donghae continued to smile, “Jessica never talked about me? I feel hurt. I am Donghae Lee and the future CEO of Lee Biomechanics.”

Yuri’s eyes nearly bulged out, “Seriously! That is the huge manufacturer of medical equipment right?”

“Yep! All of the hospitals in Korea are filled with my name.”

“Wow that means...”

“I am filthy rich...why yes I am.”

“How did you and Jessica meet?”

“Since forever. I thought for a long time that my parents and her parents were grooming us to marry each other but then Jessica dropped the big L-bomb on me one day and I went out to find some chicks that like .”

Yuri cringed at Donghae’s crude way of talking, like a narcissistic player while Jessica hit the man, “didn’t you learn manners.” Jessica turned towards Yuri, “don’t listen to him. Our parents were friends and thus we became friends. He had a little crush on me for the longest time but well you know my preference.”

Yuri nodded along, “I see, but if you did like men?”

“Oh God no! Just look at him, he is a filthy rich punk and player.”

“Hey Jess that hurts! I am only a player because I have my future set for me. Nevertheless, we are still best friends.”

“Sadly we are.”

“Although that hurts, I know you don’t mean it. You love all the gossip I bring in.”

Sooyoung came back into the conversation with a plate of food, “He does get great gossip Yuri. He is a necessity in this high society Jessica lives in. Blackmailing is the only way to live a comfortable life.”

“Are you also part of this group?”

Sooyoung looked at Yuri in shock, “God no. Jessica and I met later and I refuse to come to these things normally.”

“Why are you here today?”

“You will see,” Sooyoung winked, “Should we get going Jessica? I think it is time.”

Jessica looked down at her watch, “Probably.” Returning her attention to Yuri, Jessica gave her a kiss on the cheek, “I have to go but you can hang around Donghae for a while. He may be vulgar but he will take care of you.”

Donghae flashed another huge smile towards the girls, “I got her Jess! Have fun doing your daughterly duty.”

Yuri felt another chill down her back from this boy. Although he shouldn’t be considered a rival, she felt somewhat threatened by the man. Jessica wasn’t going to leave her for him but there was something about him...something powerful behind that charming smile.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we welcome you today...”

“Oh it is starting already.” Donghae said as he turned towards the makeshift stage on the far end of the ballroom floor.

Yuri observed the stage that adorned a black curtain behind the man giving the opening remarks, “...may I present the daughter of Jung Corp, Jessica Jung!”

Yuri nearly choked when she heard Jessica was involved with Jung Corp, the same company with the mysterious motor that Sooyoung used...does that mean Jessica is the one who funds her?

“Welcome esteemed guests. I am honored to be here today in the place of my father to introduce the future of Jung Corp. As we strive to build and enhance Jung Corp, I am here today to show you its future.”

Yuri’s jaw nearly dropped as the black curtain revealed a slick new racecar with the same model engine she saw Sooyoung using. Everything was true, Jung Corp was the backbone that made Sooyoung into the racer she was today.

“Not only are we opening a new department in cars and motor development, we will be expanding into the racecar industry. We already have footage containing the unbelievable abilities of this car and what it can do, will you please refer to the projection.”

Yuri watched as Sooyoung raced her. She watched several lengths of footage where Sooyoung would out-pass and out-maneuver her car. It was like she was a pawn in the little game Jung Corp was running. Well she wasn’t going to be a pawn anymore so she walked out. Yuri left that mansion with only one thought in mind, she was betrayed by the girl she thought she could love.

 

 

 


Author's Note

Hello YulSic readers! I didn't forget about the story at all, just busy these days. Like I said before, this isn't a long story and hope to wrap up around 10 chapters so brace yourself for many revilations to come!