Break Free

Lucky Charm

Engines roared echoing off the cement beams as the cars squealed out of the enclosed space. One by one, the cars jumped out of the garage ramp into the empty street. Yuri turned sharply onto the pavement ahead of the pack, but Sooyoung was only a hair behind her.

Bugatti…SSC…Porsche…Ferrari…Koenigsegg…Pagani…Aston Martin…all cars that could go over 200mph roared behind the two lead female racers. With almost no room for error on the two-way streets of the fishing town the course was set in, Yuri and Sooyoung quickly paced themselves at 200mph to maintain being the leaders of the pack.

Being a smaller town, the roads were clear without the worry of pedestrians. This race was to just to judge who had the best car and the best driver. Nothing else mattered here.

With the cars hitting a straightaway, shifting gears, Yuri stepped on the petal to get past Sooyoung for a decent early lead. Relaxed with her current position, Yuri let herself loosen up a bit before the race heated up.

“Good start Yul. First turn you will see a red car next to identical buildings, turn into the opening there.”

“Rodger that captain.”

The race course started in the city and passed through a farming area before turning back into the city for the finish line. Seeing the city approaching, Yuri knew her driving skills would be put to the test as Sooyoung maintained her position behind Yuri.

 Yuri looked ahead for the car signaling her turn but it was still out of sight. Shifting gears one more time, Yuri pulled even farther away from the pack but Sooyoung matched her speed to not give Yuri such a huge lead, “not so fast Taeyeon’s crony.”

Looking in her rear-view mirror, Yuri saw Sooyoung hugging her bumper, “Let’s see what that fancy engine can do.”

Finally sighting the red car, Yuri quickly shifted gears before pulling the emergency break and drifting in to the alley. Headlights quickly as she maneuvered through the tight passage, “Yul pass that street and right into the open road.”

Doing as Sunny stated, Yuri flew out of the alley and into a street far from her competitors, “Sunny this race is too easy.” Tires squealed as Yuri burned through the tar to avoid another car. Seeing the people in the city and other cars, Yuri quickly adjusted to the new environment with her expert driving. Swerving in and out of lanes, Yuri tried to stay focused on her destination.

“Don’t be too sure. Sooyoung is still on your tail.

Yuri looked back for a second and spotted her competitor, “Is she planning on following me the whole time?”

“Don’t worry about it and stick to the plan. This race was made for us.”

Sooyoung watched as Yuri maintained a slower speed since the woman entered the city, “Aren’t you going a bit to slow?” Her plan was to follow Yuri but the other woman was practically begging her to pass. With the other cars in the way, Sooyoung was having a hard time finding an alternative opening, but a huge truck blocked the next light so she saw an opportunity. Instead of following Yuri to the right, Sooyoung veered left cutting the truck off from the front. Shifting gears, Sooyoung increased her speed as she blindly went past the truck and ahead of Yuri. Smiling to herself, Sooyoung watched Yuri fade into the background still maintaining her current speed, “Don’t worry Jessica, I have your back.”

Yuri grinned as Sooyoung passed her, “Sunny I lost the leach.”

“Perfect. Another right and you will see the launch.”

Taking a slight right, Yuri left the hustle and bustle of the city where saw a row of boats, “Perfect.” Reaching to her side, Yuri flicked a switch and her car picked up speed fast, going from 210 to nearly 300 mph as her car drove straight into the water.

 

Alone in the city, Sooyoung couldn’t help but feel like something was really wrong, “Where are all the other drivers?” Reaching over to her GPS, Sooyoung pulled up her route, “This is right but where are the other cars? This race seems too easy.” Just then another car overpriced car pulled ahead of the pedestrian vehicles a few yards away from Sooyoung, however, it wasn’t the competitor she was expecting, “Where is that Yuri chick?”

Tires clacked over a bridge showing the finish line on the right, “There it is. Down goes Apple.”

Approaching the finish line, Sooyoung was confident that she was going to win, but just as she went over the bridge, a shiny object jumped out of the water.

“No way…”

 

Yuri’s foot never left the petal as she navigated her car through the shallow water way. Cutting across most of the course, Yuri knew this was the best option to win the race. She and Sunny went through every detail and basically remade the car so every inch was waterproof or sealed. The biggest problem was how to propel the car through the density of the water without overheating the engine or adding something like propellers onto the car.

“Just like we practiced. Now hit the nitro and win this for us.”

Knowing what she had to do, Yuri leaned forward and hit the nitro shooting her car out of the water and onto dry land. Quickly turning her wheel, Yuri swerved before maintaining her course, “I see the finish.”

“Ignore Sooyoung. She won’t catch up with you even with the tech she has under that hood. Come home.

 

Sooyoung only could watch in amazement as Yuri’s car came out of the water and sprint towards the finish, “How the hell…”

Needing to make up much needed ground, Sooyoung reached to her left and pulled a lever to put her car into overdrive. Her speeds broke past the max on her speedometer as she grew closer and closer to Yuri’s car, but it wasn’t enough. The finish line was too close to Yuri and the other woman won.

 

Yuri flew past the finish line with a record breaking speed of 312mph. Making her way back to the garage, she could hear the crowd cheering in her win and Taeyeon walking up with champagne. The driver could barely get out of the car because of the swarm of people wishing to congratulate her on the win, but soon they all parted for the Apple owner, Taeyeon.

“Well done.” Taeyeon popped the bottle, “To my top racer!” The crowd cheered but Yuri couldn’t focus on the victory when her eyes spotted Jessica. The woman across the way looked disappointed or sad when their arms crossed. Not being able to see Jessica sad, Yuri shook her head and smiled for her crowd trying to enjoy a much needed victory. After all, she just saved Apple.

Yuri only wondered if this would also save Jessica too.

 

 

Lounged on couches with an empty beer in her hand, Yuri couldn’t imagine a better celebratory party. Taeyeon and the investors are probably having a nice formal cocktail party for their win but Yuri was much happier with her two best friends quietly enjoying the win.

“Yuri that was pure awesomeness.” Hyoyeon slurred as she dropped the empty bottle of vodka.

Yuri giggled at her drunk friend, “It really was all Sunny’s brilliant planning. I just drove that possible death trap. I mean if that nitro failed you both would have had to fish me out of that water!”

Sunny laughed along with the other girls, “Everything was fine. Nothing to worry about.”

Yuri smiled at the thought…nothing to worry about…she was scared going into the dark water and she is scared now that she came up onto dry land. Jessica probably hates her and of course she is still upset that Jessica lied to her.

“Yuri stop thinking! Just enjoy the win. One step closer to get away from Taeyeon.”

Yes. That was the one thing she was counting on. She needed to break free of Taeyeon’s tyranny, “I ain’t thinking Sunny. If anything, I only think about the next win to get these shackles free!” Yuri yelled out in her drunken rant.

Hyoyeon stumbled off the couch with thoughts of more alcohol but her legs collapsed as soon as they hit the floor, “ugh Yuri come here so I can give you a hug.”

Looking over to Hyoyeon’s direction, Yuri quickly shook her head no, “no way you drunk!” “Come on you y driver!”

Sunny shook her head, “You can’t even walk.”

“I can…” Hyoyeon claimed as she passed out.

“Oh…I think she is gone.” Yuri stated.

“That is what a whole bottle of vodka does…”

Sighing back into the couch, Yuri smiled, “Sunny when we do finish our contract, what will you do?”

Turning her head to look at Yuri, “maybe freelancing…why? What are your plans?”

“Do you think I could go to America and make the big bucks racing professionally?”

Sunny laughed at such unrealistic dreams, “Yuri you are not made to be that proper. If you are going to race, at least have some decency and stay in the shadows. You are fit to be more the dark and mysterious type.”

Yuri watched the last drops of her beer spill onto the floor, “Maybe…but it would be nice to find a job that…oh I guess I just want to make some big money. I will be super rich when this Apple deal is over.”

“Keep dreaming big then Yuri.”

 

 

 

 


Author's Note

Not what you were expecting?? Comments if you are upset with Yuri winning :P