Skill vs Luck

Lucky Charm

Inside an abandoned factory, a steady beat was pumping as the engines of cars roared along with the bass. Nissan, Porche, Ford, Mitsubishi, Toyota…all the top brand cars were lined up with their hoods open to show off the muscle that packed their cars. Some cars were just for show, while others were there to race.

APPLE was the largest organized underground street racing circuit in Seoul. Police were always hot on the trail to catch these racers before the races commenced but in all the years that APPLE has been around, the police have only managed to make 2 raids before a race. The fact of the matter was that the organizers were smarter and faster than any law enforcement could offer.

With only half an hour left until the main race started, a girl was seated on top of the hood of her car while she was making-out with one of the go-girls, “God Yuri you are so hot.”

The girl in the black leather jacket and matching boots chuckled as her lips grazed the girl’s ear, “I know.”

However the hot make-out session didn’t last long as another girl came up and slapped Yuri’s shoulder with a MacBook, “Yah! Stop exchanging saliva we have some technicalities to go through before this thing starts.”

Yuri rubbed her shoulder where she was hit, “Cool your Sunny bunny. When have I ever not gone through that stuff before the race?”

Sunny sighed before signaling the other girl to get lost, “go to your post girl. The race is starting soon.”

Yuri frowned as the hot girl disappeared, “Why did you make her leave? I am totally ready and have some free time.”

Sunny ignored the girl’s request and plugged her computer in to the USB inside Yuri’s Nissan GT-R, “I am installing a change in the course.”

Yuri sat down in the driver seat to look at the GPS, “Why the change? We went over this route like a million times.”

“Yea well that was before the bridge was closed due to a sudden collapse from construction. I am rerouting you to take a slight detour through this neighborhood.”

Yuri looked at her monitor closely, “Isn’t it risky with pedestrians?”

“I already told Hyo to block some areas with safety cones and barricades. You should be clear.”

Yuri nodded along, “Is that it?”

Sunny unplugged her computer, “Should be…oh and there is a late applicant I think you should watch out for.”

Yuri’s ears perked up, “Have you been scouting?”

“Not really. Noticed the car is almost completely customized…I think someone rich is backing up the racer.”

“That means someone trusts the racer to win them some money…”

“Could be…or he is just backing his plaything. The girl driving is pretty hot…along with her little friend.”

Yuri smirked, “Now you really got my interest. Who is this hot thing that I should seeing?”

Sunny pointed across the factory floor, “The tall girl in the blue and matching car.”

Yuri eyed her out, “Humm…I guess we will see if that is just a pretty face or not.”

Just then the speakers , “Racers to the line.”

Yuri pulled up the zipper on her jacket, “come on Sunny. We have a race to win.”

Sunny smiled as she handed Yuri her earpiece, “I will be in your head the whole way.”

Yuri laughed, “As always I get to listen to your annoying voice telling me about engine crap while I am trying to avoid other cars.”

Sunny just rolled her eyes as she got into Yuri’s car so they both could go to the starting gate, “if I could drive like you, I would kick your .”

Yuri giggled, “I know. We are better as a pair though.”

“Well just listen to me sometimes. When I say your engine is overheating, that doesn’t mean to up the gears.”

“Killing my engine at the finish doesn’t matter if I win.” Yuri stopped her car when she reached the starting gate, “out you go bunny.”

“Remember no bridge,” Sunny said while she got out of the car and stepped away from the line of cars that were roaring their engines. The girl opened her laptop and did one last check before looking up at the clock already counting. She even noticed the go-girl, which Yuri happened to be making-out with before the race, holding the garage button and counting down.

*beep* “Five!” *beep* “Four!” *beep* “Three!” *beep* “Two!” *beep* “One” *beep beep* “Go!” The doors of the garage opened suddenly and the cars were already off in a speeding fiery of adrenaline and those hungry for the big cash prize.

“My bunny are you there?” Echoed in Sunny’s ear.

Sunny smiled, “you just left, already missing me?”

Yuri laughed on the other end, “Just making sure you are with me. Are you tracking?”

“Everything is working fine. You worry so much that I might not be following you.”

“I need my bunny.”

“What is your place?”

“Six…five, four…”

Sunny watched her monitor as Yuri shifted from gear to gear, “Do you recognize who you are driving with in the top tier?”

“The usual group of boys but that blue chick is here…just in front of me.”

“Don’t underestimate her.”

“I know...passed Siwon and his stupid Porche.”

Sunny laughed, “Ok keep it up, you are halfway.” Leaning over to get her cellphone, Sunny dialed a number, “Hyo you are set? Yuri is coming up.”

“Got it…going to blow up part of the bridge now.”

Sunny smiled, “great. Do it…now.” Hearing the sound of a blast in the background, Sunny hung up the phone and the microphone to talk to Yuri, “Yuri take your cut now.”

“I see it, cutting now.”

Sunny flipped through her screens to watch the engine performance. Everything was working perfectly making the short smile in triumph since the win looked like a for sure thing. All that was left was a straight shot to the finish line.

“Sunny! What the hell, blue chick is already on my tail?!”

“What? That is impossible, I thought she was in front of you before.”

“She was. She came up on my left, I am going turbo.”

“Kick in the first turbo and then slam the second right after.” Sunny was a bit frantic that the girl managed to miss the bridge collapse. What made her even more nervous was that Yuri always went radio silent as she kicked in the turbo. In a matter of seconds, Sunny would get the verdict of who beat who. Sunny hated the lack of control she had in situations like this.

“Bunny…bunny?”

“I am here. What happened?”

“Blue chick won…what the hell is with her car?”

Sunny slammed her laptop shut in fury, “I don’t know but I will find out.”

------------------------------------

Yuri was leaning against her car as she watched the winner sharing the victory with her friend, “Well well the great Kwon Yuri got beat.”

“Shut it Siwon. If I remember right, I smoked you right before the bridge.”

“You know what I found interesting is that the bridge happened to collapse right as you got to it. Coincidence?”

Just then, Yuri spotted a very angry friend, “Got to go loser. Sunny is pissed.”

“Where is that ing girl?” Sunny said as if she was breathing fire.

Yuri motioned over to her right, “There.”

“Can you distract them? I need to get into the USB port of the car to map it out.”

Yuri got up and stretched before ping her jacket, “distraction is what I do best.” Strutting her way up to the winners, Yuri flashed a quick wink to the friend next to the tall girl, “what luck you have. New to the circuit but already got a win?”

“Skill is different than luck. I was sure I was going to win.”

Yuri was a bit irritated by the statement, but she was lucky that all eyes were on her so Sunny could get to work, “I am...”

“Kwon Yuri. I know.”

“I guess I am well known here.” Yuri said confidently.

“You are but I found myself disappointed. We thought you could actually challenge us but I guess that is what you get when your car is not as good as your opponent.”

“Who the hell are you to be saying that to me?”

The tall woman stuck out her hand, “Choi Sooyoung. Better remember it because you will be losing to that name from now on.” Sooyoung turned to her friend, “come on Jessica, we have better things to get to than talk to the losing crowd here.”

Yuri eyed out Sooyoung and the blonde friend and scoffed, “I will make you eat those words.”

Sooyoung entered her car with Jessica, “You will have to wait till next time I guess.” The two girls sped off leaving Yuri dumbfounded at the pair.

“I got what we needed, let’s get going as well.” Sunny said as she tried pushing Yuri back to her car.

“Who does that girl think she is?”

Sunny rolled her eyes, “I will research her once we get back to the shop.”

Yuri opened the door to her car, “I will go pick up Hyo and meet you at the shop.”

Sunny nodded, “don’t get too heated over the matter. We will know what we are facing from now on. No more surprises.”

Yuri slammed her door shut, “no more surprises,” before racing off.

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note

A bit of a short chapter since I am caught up in Taeyeon-fever and her new album atm. I mostly introduced the characters but I hope you like the progress ^^

Hope to see some comments