Walking with Ken

When a Starlight imagines..

She was scared of rainy days.            
That's why she really loved sunny and bright days. 
It made her walks with Ken more enjoyable and fun.
Ken and her had been the best of friends since kindergarten.
The first time they met, he shared his umbrella with her as they walked home together during a rainy day.
Since that day, they always walk home together.
When they entered high school, their daily walks didn't changed even they were in different schools.
She's in an all girl school while he entered an all boy school.
The funny thing was their schools were on the different side of the same street.
When school ended, she would definitely saw him grinning at her in front of his school gate.
On the way home, she would tell him about her day and he would tell her his.
Ken always made jokes to make her laugh when she's too gloomy and in return, she would drag him away from the ice cream shop.
" It's for your own good. Don't you want to pass the Physical Education test at the end of the year?" one day she said.
" NO!!! I need ice cream in my everyday life. Please  I'm begging you" he pleaded with her with his puppy eyes and pouty face.
" Nu uh. I will not fall for your tricks again."
" What if I make you laugh? If you do laugh, then you need to buy me ice cream, lots of it".
"Ok,  give me your best shot. If I don't laugh, YOU had to buy me ice cream and you won't get a taste of it."
" Byuing , byuing!!! Byuing byuing!!" , Ken unleashed his aegyo but she had steeled herself against it. 
" Haah! You failed! I didn't laugh and ..... NO! Keep your hands off me! Please don't tickle me!!! I can die! Hahahahaha!!!! STOP!!!"
" Will you surrender?" Ken asked as he continued tickling her.
In the end, she will have to buy him ice cream and that happened like almost every day. Luckliy, he agreed to pay half of it and they would share the ice cream together to save money.

Also, they didn't get fat because they would always race against each other to their neighbourhood's playground.


Their friends always teased them of being a couple but she didn't mind them as long as she is with him, either as   a friend or a girlfriend. 

He always wait for her every day in front of the gates without fail.
There was one day that he didn't wait for her.

One day, it was raining heavily and unfortunately, she didn't bring her umbrella. She refused to bring it after what happened. She sat down under the the shelter of the bus stop in front of her school. She didn't like the rain and the grey sky because it reminded her of that day.

 

"Bye , everyone ! " , she greeted her friends before running to the school entrance.
It started to rain and she chided herself for not bringing her umbrella. She could imagine Ken nagging about her forgetfulness, calling her an old lady, even though he nag like one. 
She was surprised to see him not at his usual spot. She looked around but she couldn't see his tall figure anywhere.
A commotion drew her attention to a street just around the corner.
She went there, thinking when there's noise, there must be Ken. 


She had never been so right.

It was a weird setting. The rain was falling, the usually-rushed crowd suddenly stop moving. There was a bright yellow car in the middle of the road, unmoving. The only sounds that reached her ears was the rain and the screams of relief of a woman hugging a girl at the sidewalk. 

The girl suddenly stood up and pulled her mother's hand towards the crowd.
" Mummy, we need to say 'thank you' to the superhero. It's not nice to not say thank you".
" Yes, dear. But not now. Don't go there."
" Why? The superhero is over there", the girl said while pointing towards the crowd.

The mother just shook her head.

She quickly made her way towards the crowd. It was then she noticed the voices.

" Poor guy".
" He'so brave to push away the girl".
"YOU in the yellow car!!! Didn't you see where are you driving??!!"
"Such a nice young man".
"I had called the ambulance so can everyone move back to give him space?" said a man wearing a black coat.
When they did, the first thing that came into her mind was: 
"Why is Ken sleeping in the middle of the road?"

 

 

She opened her eyes, surprised to find herself sleeping at the bus stop.
The rain had stopped  and then sun quickly appeared, lighting up the dull day. There was also a rainbow which she stared with amazement.
She closed her eyes and made a wish. When she opened them, she saw Ken waving at her from across the street, his eyes were bright and his large smile made her smile too. 
She crossed the street and soon they began their walk. They walked in silence but it was a comfortable one.
This time she voluntarily bought her own ice cream, just like any other days. She tried to share it with Ken but suprisingly he declined with a smile.
When she reached her house, she turned around to say goodbye to Ken but he had disappeared just like the rainbow above.
The difference was the rainbow can come back at any other day. Ken couldn't.
There were tears in her eyes but a particular memory of Ken appeared in her mind.

" It's okay to cry but you can only cry for 10 seconds. Then you smile", he said one day when she was upset, more like downright devastated with her really bad exam's result.
"Why's that?", she sniffed.
"Rain can't fall forever. There's must be a rainbow in the end".
"Then you will tell me that pots of gold and fairies exist".
"Fairies exist and I'm one. Want to see my wings?", he said with a wink.
"Keeennn", she hit him playfully on the shoulder and laughed.

She cried for 10 seconds and then smiled, remembering that tomorrow she would walk with him again, replaying the memories of them together.