Babysitting

When a Starlight imagines..

In a world where magic exists alongside the modern world, many weird and bizarre things happened especially in Hakyeon’s Magic Workshop. One day, a freak accident happened to Hongbin.


She was busy with her new art and craft’s project when suddenly  her phone rang, its ringtone was unfamiliar. She glanced at it and immediately dropped the glue in her hand to grab her pink sequined phone.

“Hello.”

A relieved sigh was heard at the end of the line. “Thank God, you pick up.”

“What is it Hakyeon?” she asked because it was not often Hakyeon called her unless it was about her friend, Ina.

“Can you come to my workshop now, please? I really need your help. It’s about Hongbin.”

She gasped, immediately thinking the worse. Hakyeon seemed to notice it and quickly reassured her that Hongbin was okay but he needed her presence now. Explanations would have to come later.

She was out of the door within minutes and took a taxi to Hakyeon’s workshop.

She was so worried about Hongbin that she didn’t notice that she had arrived at her destination. After paying the digruntled driver, she burst into the traditional yet elegant workshop though she was mindful of the weird stuff in the establishment.

From what she had heard from Ina (who specialised in healing magic), Hakyeon’s workshop was relatively new in the magical world but he had worked strenously to give the best of service to the community, barring from criminal activities of course. Ina met Hakyeon when their line of research intersected and through them, she met Hongbin, a dorky yet  extremely handsome apprentice with huge amount of sass and and an adverse reaction to cringey materials. She could only dare say it was love in first sight in private.

Remembering the tour Hongbin gave her, she opened the back door which revealed  a  mashup between a science lab and a steampunk themed basement where they brewed potion and studied anything related to magic.

She may not know much about wizardy stuff but she could sense something was wrong. The cauldron at the corner of the room was unusually empty, the silence was deafening without the usual hum of magic in progress and Hakyeon greeted her with a guilty expression. His shirt was stained with a bluish liquid and his sleeves were dirty. The table beside him was horribly messy, books, notes and ancient-looking parchments littered the surface with an Ipad in the middle of it, a weird contrast with its surroundings.

“Where is Hongbin?” she asked when she noticed Hakyeon was having trouble to talk to her.

“He’s at the back. First of all, I’m sorry. I misread some of the ingredients and the enchantments so the potion was really different from what I intended it to be. It is supposed to be a refreshing potion, to curb exhaustion and I,...”

“You, what?” she pressed on, feeling really anxious.

“I ask Hongbin to test it. I didn’t specify how because I have another potion to brew so it escape my notice. I should have told him at that time, to remind him to not drink it but I thought he knew and I don’t want to nag him about it anymore like before so yeah he drank the potion,” the wizard bit his lip in frustration.

“Is he alright? You told me he is okay on the phone. If he is okay, then it’s fine. I’m not mad at you. I understand accidents happen,” she told him with a gentle voice. She almost smiled. He was so like Ina, easy to feel guilty at the slightest mistake.

“He is okay but he is a bit different. It’s better for me to show you.” The haggard-looking wizard turned around to face the wall.

He tap on a specific part of the wall and a section of it opened revealing a staircase that lead up to their residence. It was small yet cosy with a simple kitchen on the right and the living room on the left. Onwards was a corridor that would led to their bedrooms and toilet and any other magical rooms that Hakyeon had built in (Hongbin boasted about a game centre that Hakyeon conjured up for him after a year of being his apprentice).
 

The wizard made straight towards the living room, the television was playing a cartoon that was recently a top hit among children. Hakyeon stopped by the sofa and stared at a blanketed figure with a forlorn expression on his face. He gently removed the blanket slightly, revealing a toddler who was sleeping with his fists closed.

“This is Hongbin,” Hakyeon whispered, afraid to wake up his de-aged apprentice. “I run some diagnostics and so far he is fine except he is now a kid, 6 years old probably. He could only remember his name and nothing else. He panics just now but luckily I have just put him to sleep before your arrive.”

 Hakyeon gestured towards the kitchen and they made their way there to discuss more about the situation. A coffee pot levitated from the stove and pour coffee into two cups that had flew from the cabinets and landed on the dining table. Hakyeon ignored his coffee as he began explaining.

“Listen, I can fix this. I just need to find some of the ingredients but I can’t bring Hongbin with me. I can’t call the others for help. Leo is visiting his family, Ken and Ravi is hanging out at a concert and Hyuk is in school right now. I need your help to take care of him because from what I had hear from Ina is that you are good in taking care of kids. I will contact Ina later after she finishes her class. She can make sure Hongbin will be okay.”

Hakyeon was tapping on his cup nervously while waiting for her reaction.

“It’s okay. I will be glad to help. Besides, babysitting is fun. Maybe a bit weird because I will be babysitting my boyfriend but as long as he is fine, I don’t mind about it. I trust you and I know Hongbin trusts you to turn him back.”

Hakyeon smiled for the first time she arrived and stood up. With a wave of his hands, he changed his clothes, (she almost choked when she saw how good he looked in a denim jacket) and he had a backpack strapped on his shoulders.

“Thank you so much for everything you said. I really appreciate it.”

Hakyeon left but not without teliing her about what food was available in the fridge and some spare kid clothes he kept for the occasional visits from his nephew.

He teleported out of the room and she was left alone with a sleeping Hongbin. She tiptoed towards him and curiously stared at him. Maybe Hakyeon was so worried, he didn’t notice how ADORABLE Hongbin was.

With a smartphone in hand, the photo session began.

It ended when she made the most cliche mistake ever : she forgot to turn off the flash.

Hongbin frowned in his sleep and cracked his eyes open slowly. He jumped when he caught sight of her who quickly hid her phone.

“Who are you? Where is the nice hyung? Please don’t hurt me,” he pleaded as he clutched his blue blanket closer to him.

She would coo over how adorable he was but right now, he was afraid.

“It’s okay. I’m the nice hyung’s friend. He goes out to buy some really important stuff. Don’t worry, I will not hurt you,” she said using a gentle voice she reserved for kids.

He stared at her for a while, thinking really hard if he could trust her. He was about to say something but a loud growl pierced the silence between them. His face went red like a tomato and and he crossed his arms to cover his stomach as if it could silence it. She was so close to combust from how extremely cute he was.

She chuckled and offered him her hand. “Let’s go to the kitchen. I will make you something to eat.”

She prepared a simple sandwich with a spread of Nutella and put it on a plastic plate on the table. She could hear a grunt and she found him struggling to climb on the chair. Hakyeon, Hongbin and their other friends were really tall so they purchased tall chairs to fit them.

She hold back her laughter(but not before she secretly took a picture of him) and helped him up. His cheeks were now bright red and he looked like he was burning from total embarrasment. It was all forgotten when he gobbled up the sandwich, leaving chocolate stains around his mouth.

She gave him a napkin and he shyly wiped his mouth, the tips of his ears were red too. He looked up at her and with pleading eyes.

“Can I have some of the grapes, please?” he asked, gesturing towards the grapes she was eating.

She was screaming internally from all the cuteness she had witnessed but she composed herself and gave him some. Luckily, it was seedless grapes and she would not be worried about him choking on it.

After eating and cleaning up the dishes (Hongbin playfully chased around the bubbles she purposely created), they went to the living room. She decided to spend the time by watching a movie and not just any movie. The movie that took the world by storm. Frozen. Hongbin and her had watched it before, the former didn’t like it very much because of how overrated it was. She wondered if kid Hongbin think the same way.

She was so wrong.

When Let It Go played, he did something she never expected. He took off his blue blanket and began singing along with the regular off key tone of an ordinary six year old kid. She could see him singing his heart out and she captured the monumental moment in video format.

“The cold never bother me anyway,” he finished the song and immediately sneezed like a kitten. With another blush, he ran for his blue blanket and covered himself with it, making him looked like a blue burrito.

He was still sneezing with that kitten sneeze of him and on an impulse, she hug him.

He struggled at first but relented when her warmth hit him.

“You are so warm,” he mumbled with a satisfied smile on his face, his tiny dimples were on display. He huddled closer to her throughout the movie and when it ended, she found him fast asleep.

She carefully placed him in a more comfortable position and stretched her limbs. She looked at him again, taking note on how peaceful (and adorable) he was.

Suddenly, she heard someone tumbling behind her and saw Hakyeon and Ina sprawled on the floor with plastics bags around them.

“Hi. How are you doing?” her friend waved at her with a cheeky grin before gasping.

“Oh wow! Is that Hongbin? He looks sooooo cute. This is like a scene from Detective Conan. This is way better than asking Leo to cosplay as Kujo Jotaro,” she stopped herself from speaking and sent Hakyeon a sheepish look.

He only sighed. “I don’t know how you did it and I’m too tired to think much about it,” he yawned before gathering all the stuff.

Ina huffed and quickly helped Hakyeon with the ingredients. “I offer to teach him an invisible spell to hide from Hyuk. Really, Hakyeon. Are you sure you can do this? You didn’t get much sleep and I’m worried about you. Maybe you can take a rest for a while before doing the spell.”

Hakyeon smiled at her. “Aww, my girlfriend cares about me. No, I can’t rest now. I don’t know how long Hongbin can stay in that form without any complications.” Hakyeon grabbed her hand and stared into her eyes. “I want, no I need your help, just in case I make a mistake again. You can correct me when I’m wrong.”

Ina’s eyes softened and she smiled softly.

“Ok.” Ina turned towards her. “ We are going downstairs to make the potion. We will come up when we finish.”

She mouthed something that vaguely similar to “Take some more pictures for me” and followed Hakyeon downstairs.

After half an hour of waiting, she heard someone shouting Eureka, probably Ina, and Hakyeon reminding her to be quiet to not wake up Hongbin.

They entered the room with Ina carrying a vial of orange-coloured liquid which she gave to her. She gently woke up Hongbin. He was so sleepy, he drank it without hesitation.

In a flash of orange light,  kid Hongbin turned back into regular adult Hongbin with the handsome face, jawline and all.

Hakyeon sighed in relief but yelped when Ina grabbed him by the shoulder and ushered him to his room.

“Now, Hongbin is fine, you need to go to sleep, mister. I will check on him later. No buts. You have been stressing over this for half a day, travelling all over town and haggling those ingredients with Sungjae. As your girlfriend and a healing mage, I will not let you burn yourself out any longer. If I have to use my magic on you, so be it. Go inside your room, take a long relaxing bath. I will get you the bread you like so much and a sleeping-scented candle for you.”

Hakyeon tried to protest but he yawned again. He gave Ina a smile, letting himself to be spoiled by his girlfriend.

When the two exited the living room, she returned her attention towards Hongbin who continued to sleep. He shivered and huddled closer to her. He mumbled a ‘You are warm’ with his dimpled smile. He wrapped his muscled arms around her and rest his head on her shoulder.  She felt like jumping all over the place. Sleepy kid Hongbin she could handle but sleepy handsome adult Hongbin was  a bit too much.

She sent kid Hongbin’s pictures to Ina and Hakyeon who deserved it since he would gush over his apprentice if he didn’t worried too much. The video, she decided, was only for her and her only. One day, she could show it to Hongbin.

Right now, she need to figure out how to sleep comfortably beside Hongbin.


Hey. Long time no see. This idea came out of nowhere. This is the result of a certain 'Starlight Buddy' who shared too much Hongbin's cute pics.

Please, I'm trying my best to stay loyal to Hakyeon who is unfortunately in a group of bias wreckers.

The Shangri-La comeback proves that VIXX bias's list is not possible, especially with Black Out.

Anyway, do please leave a comment about anything about my stories so far.

I'm dying to know if all of you like or if there's anyway I can improve.

Have a nice day or night.

smallbear99