Going to the Gym

When a Starlight imagines..

A/N : First of all, I'm really sorry for the long hiatus. I've been spending my time out of school with Kdramas, anime and mangas and other stuff. It caused some writer block. Also recently, I've been very busy with scholarship and university applications so yeah not much writing time. I thought I have become too rusty and losing my touch with writing. After a pep talk with my mom and a close friend's encouragement(she said "Why not?"), I decided to post this one-shot which have been around since December last year and only finished now. It may not be much but please do enjoy this one-shot. Please do leave a comment because I would like to know your opinion on this. Thank you.


 “Fei, I have make a decision”, Ara poked at her friend who was lost in the music she was hearing.

“What?” Fei removed her earphones, the silence of the bus greeted her ears.

“I’m going to the gym, tomorrow”, Ara said proudly, the wide grin on her face increased its length at the sight of Fei’s bewildered expression.

“Why do you want to go the gym? You already have a good figure. Some of our classmates are jealous of you, actually”, Fei turned to completely face her friend, still not believing what she just heard.

“Don’t you said that, Fei. I’m not thin. I’m just average sized. Those classmates are prettier than me and they themselves don’t appreciate what they have”, Ara pouted. “Besides, I’m doing this for my health. Miss Rai have been telling us about the importance of fitness for our bodies during Biology class yesterday and I have a change of heart about the matter”.

“Well, I don’t take Biology, so I do not know much about it. If I remember correctly, she is the one who convinced you to eat your veggies, didn’t she?” Fei remarked with a sly smile on her face.

Ara just nodded. “Her words are gold. Anyway, is there any chance for you to join me? Heck, there is a chance for you to meet your fluffy Bean there”, she smirked knowingly when she picked up on how bright red Fei’s cheek was.

“No, I will just humiliate myself in front of him. I’m a potato so I hope that sums up everything. Besides, he just texted me to meet up at the café at noon tomorrow. Sorry, Ara.”

“It’s ok. I don’t mind. Honestly, you make a cute potato and I’m sure that fluffy Bean will love his cute Potato just the way she is”.

Fei groaned. “Don’t start with the pick-up lines, Ara. I swear your cheesiness will have me dead from cringing.”

“You know, my eyes are hurting right now.” Fei gave her a weird look. “Because your beauty is so blinding,” Ara giggled meanwhile Fei made a face, cringing from what she had heard. “I learn from the best, Fei” the giggling girl said.

“I swear, your boyfriend is the cheesiest of them all,”Fei mumbled. The bus drew into a stop. Fei stood up slowly, her legs were still asleep. She bid goodbye and boarded off the bus, leaving Ara alone in her seat. She yawned for the hundredth time of the day. She was feeling more exhausted than usual recently.


 

Ara yawned again when she made her way to the public gym that was a walking distance from her house. She rubbed her eyes, the chilly morning air reminded her of the warm and soft blanket in her cosy bedroom. She was not a morning person, so to go out so early in the morning was an impressive feat for her.

When she entered the gym, it was deserted with no one in sight. Ara was slightly unnerved from the looks of her surroundings but she steeled her heart to continue on her mission.

“There are no ghost during daytime. No ghost during daytime,” she whispered to herself. She put her bag on a nearby bench and slid off the jacket on her shoulders. She decided to do something easy first and her heart elated when her eyes landed on a treadmill.

She scanned the instructions, taking notes on the important points. The machine was switched on, the music from her Ipod began to play and soon she was jogging. It was only after a few minutes until her legs were screaming at her to stop. She did not and ignored the strain in her muscles.

When her breath started to come out in pants, she touched the ‘off’ button and headed towards her bag to drink some water. She wiped her brow, surprised at how wet it was from the sweat. She put down her bottle and was about to stretch when a hand grabbed her shoulder.

She shrieked like she was being burned and immediately turned around with a fist ready to hit the attacker. The punch landed on a shoulder but it seemed to have no effect.

Ara gulped when she recognized the person who was staring at her with a puzzled look that reminded her of Fei. Her cheeks felt hot, her heart was thumping wildly like an uncontrollable drum. During the awkward silence, she slowly pulled back her now unclenched hands which was slick from sweat and whispered loudly in her mind to wish she could teleport to somewhere else than here.

“Hi Hongbin. Sorry for punching you,”she stammered her words.

“It’s ok. It did not hurt much. Also I’m sorry to startle you,” he shoot her with one of his dazzling dimpled smile and she endeavoured to not squeal in front of him like a crazed fangirl.

“Why, Fei? Why your boyfriend must be so handsome?” she thought to herself.

“Wait a minute. You are Fei’s friend, right and…,”he stared a bit longer at her face. She tried with all her might to not look away. “Ha! You are also Hakyeon hyung’s girlfriend” he beamed, seemingly proud with himself for remembering her.

“Umm. I’m glad you remember me. Anyway, you come here alone?” she asked, hoping the situation would not be more awkward.

“Usually, I came here with Ravi but he is busy, so yeah I’m alone. I’m guessing Fei’s not here, eh?”

“No, she is not. It’s been a very busy week and I think she needs some rest”. Hongbin nodded with understanding. “Anyway, she told me that you are going to meet her at noon, so yeah. She is at home now.”

“Your first time, here?” Hongbin conveniently changed the subject. Ara let out a relieved sigh.

“Yes. I am just doing the easy things first but I hope you can give me some tips. I am amateur in this type of thing”.

“Sure. Let’s get started.”


 

Hakyeon had brought her to a walk at a park because the weather was exceptionally perfect for one. The sun hung low at the horizon, casting brilliant streaks of red and orange through the darkening sky. The white fluffy clouds floated lazily in the sea of dusk’s colours and the occasional breeze blew through the environment, the shaking leaves signaled its invisible yet influential presence.

“Have you been sleeping right?” asked Hakyeon, concern written on his face. She internally chided herself but she could not stop yawning every once in a while. She thought the greenery could freshen up her tired self but to no avail.

“I’m sorry. It is just because I change my routine a bit and my body is adapting to it,” she answered before putting her hand up to to block another yawn.

Hakyeon rubbed her hand gently. “Do not be too hard on yourself. Remember the time when you stayed up all night to finish your homework and the next day, you looked like a sleep-deprived zombie. I swear you looked murderous when Ken tried to wake you up during lunch.”

Ara shook her head. “It was for a good cause and Ken should know better than to disturb me when I am sleepy”.

“Ok, ok. Anyway what is this new routine change you are talking about?” Hakyeon began to swing their hands together and it synced with their walking pace.

“I go to the gym”, she proclaimed proudly. The swinging ceased and Hakyeon stared at her with a puzzled expression.

“Wow, that is impressive but why though? I think you look just fine”, he frowned.

She rolled her eyes. “I do it for my health and not for beauty. Anyway, thank you for the compliment,” she slightly blushed but that was enough to evoke an amused smile from her boyfriend.

“You are cute when you are blushing. I think I need to compliment you more so I can see more of your cuteness,” he ended his sentence with a wink.

“Oh, please that is enough. Really you do not need to praise me a lot,” if it was not because of the presence of other people in the park, she would dropped dead to her feet. What she had done to meet such a dazzling boyfriend?

“Ara, Ara,” he called her out of her thoughts and informed her that it was getting late. He offered to her home. There was a lull of silence during the journey and she searched for any topics to talk about.

“I met Hongbin on my first day. He startled me at first but then he taught me how to use the equipments in the gym. He was really nice and patient, no wonder Fei loves him so much. Besides, Ravi also lent a hand by demonstrating the methods. It seemed easy at first when he did it but I failed horribly,” she laughed at herself, remembering those humiliating moments.

“Glad you enjoy your time there,” Hakyeon replied but it sounded half-hearted. Before she could ask what was wrong, Hakyeon quickly said: “We already here. Say hello to your family, okay? Goodbye.”

He did not waste any time to leave, causing her to recall their conversation. Did she say something wrong?


 

“Are you and Hakyeon had been fighting?” Fei asked the next day during recess.

“Nope, why?” a frown travelled to Ara’s face, her chocolate biscuits were forgotten.

“Hongbin told me that he had gone quiet and only to talk with a few people and….” a shadow loomed over their table, its owner gazed upon them with a blank and unreadable face.

“Hi Taekwoon. What brings you here?” Ara asked, inwardly patting herself at the back for not jumping out of her seat from surprise. It would be very embarrassing. Fei kept quiet though it was clear she had no idea the reason behind Taekwoon’s sudden visit.

“Hakyeon is jealous. Now, go fix it,” he succinctly said.

“Wait. Jealous? Are you sure? Why would he be jealous?” disbelief was her reply.

“You go to the gym and exercise with this guy,” at that moment, Taekwoon suddenly grabbed Hongbin by the arm. The latter yelped in surprise, not expecting it while he was just passing by.

“Hyung. What is this? Oh, hey Fei. Ara”, he managed to greet them with one of his radiant smile. Both of them smiled back with one of them was blushing hard.

“Lots of girls swoon over him countless times. He is afraid you are going to be one of them,”Taekwoon said before letting go of the clueless Hongbin.

“He is not really wrong,” Fei muttered as she looked down. Ara, on the other hand, just frowned, deep in her thoughts. Suddenly, she clapped her hands, her eyes shone like a newly-replaced lightbulb.

“I know what to do.”


 

“Are you sure about this?” Hakyeon popped up the question when they reached the dance studio.

“Yes,” she affirmed her decision but there were some lingering doubts about this.

An hour later….

“No, no you are doing this wrong,” Hakyeon scolded her after teaching the same move a hundred times.

“What do I do wrong?” she snapped exasperatedly, wiping her sweaty brow. Her legs felt like anchors, its heaviness were dragging her to the floor.

“You look like you are not giving all your effort,” Hakyeon commented.

“I am giving all of my effort. You know I have two left legs,” said she as she put her hands on her hip.

“Then why do you come here? You could be wasting your time,” Hakyeon frowned.

“I don’t want you to think that I spend my time at the gym because I am swooning over Hongbin or Ravi. I go to the gym to get fit, not bothering your relationship with your friends with jealousy. I thought dancing could help me like the being in the gym. You know what, if you think this is a waste of time, then I will leave.”

Ara rushed to grab her stuff and almost got to the door when Hakyeon grabbed her wrist and pulled her into an embrace.

“I can’t stop being jealous because I’m afraid one day you are going to leave me. I know that Hongbin and Ravi have body built like an idol and I am only a scrawny guy between them so I thought I am less impressive boyfriend. I’m sorry.”

“You are sorry you are jealous? That’s funny. No, I’m sorry. I should have known you would be jealous. Maybe it is because I thought you don’t have to be jealous in the first place because you are you and I love you, only you.” She looked up at him with a smile. “I can’t believe I have to do a dance routine with you to have a talk like this.”

“You are the funny one. I am actually excited that you want to learn how to dance with me but I guess I push you too hard, didn’t I?” He replied her smile with a rueful one.

“At least, we are spending time together. Anyway, since we are done with dancing, can we go eat something?”

“Sure, I could hear you stomach growling.”

“Shut up. You are stinky.

“You too. We are stinky lovers. We are meant for each other.”

“Hahaha, funny. Let’s go.”


 

“Hey look. An arcade. Let’s go there,” said Ara to Fei one day during the school holidays.

“Hmmm, I always wanted to try out that dancing game. You want to try it out with me? I will pay for every game here after we play this game,” pleaded Ara. Fei looked a bit torn over with the request but she nodded anyway. “Better get this over with quick,” she thought.

“Wow, Ara. You are unusually good at this. I don’t know the gym offers dance lessons,” noted Fei after she had caught her breath. Ara had succeeded in getting a high score and she could not stop grinning ever since.

“They don’t. I just really like playing this game.”

“Can I dance with you here?” asked Hakyeon, appearing behind them. Ara jumped and hit Hakyeon playfully at his arm.

“Don’t do that. I am easily scared,” she pouted.

“I’m sorry. About that dance offer…”

“Ok but don’t laugh at me if I lose.”

“Lose? You look like a pro just now. I don’t care about winning, I just want to dance with you”.

 


 

Fei smiled as she hang out with Hongbin at a café next to the arcade.

“So, Ara has not been going to the gym lately?” she asked for a confirmation.

“Yeah. I am wondering if she is sick. Are you sick? You look a little red,” Hongbin asked as he put his hand on her head without warning.

Fei squeaked and grabbed his hand down. “No, I am not. Neither does Ara. She is going to the arcade every day.”

“Did Sanghyuk kidnap her and bring her there?” Hongbin snorted with amusement.

“Nah, she keeps on challenging Hakyeon on that dancing game. She says it is kind of like a workout and Hakyeon claims she is still hopeless dancing in studio so he could only dance with her in a game.”

“Hmm, that’s sound interesting. Anyway, I have been thinking to visit this new park near the stadium where they let you rent a bicycle and cycle there. I do not have the opportunity to go there before so I hope you can come with me, if you want”, Hongbin turned towards the window but Fei could spot his now red cheeks.

“Ok but cycling only. I can only do just that.”

“I don’t mind. It’s not I’m going to force you to go to the gym with me,” Hongbin smiled, his dimples were bright in display.

“That’s a relief,” Fei thought to herself.