I'm Your Hyung

When a Starlight imagines..

Ken knew it was his fault.

It was his fault that his brother Leo never speak a word unless it is necessary.

He spent everyday in school, hearing the hurtful words hurled at his hyung.

“ Why he’s so quiet?”.

“ He thinks he so cool, huh?”

“ Maybe he’s nuts in the head”.

“ Why does the mute go to school anyway?”.

He wanted so badly to defend his hyung but weirdly, his hyung never let him. Whenever he is close to explode and attack the bullies, his brother would send him a warning look that he had understood after years of being together.

But the pain of hearing the insults and not having the ability to stop it could not be compared by the knowledge that it was his fault.

The others would never believe that there was a time when Leo would talk a lot like other kids their age but not as much as him. Ken knew he himself was a chatterbox but Leo was not far behind.

They did not know that his brother could be caring and protective.

They did not know the fun they had together while playing imaginary adventures, camping in their room with blankets as their tent and singing.

They both LOVED singing but after that unfortunate day, he never hear his brother sings.


 

They were at a football match and Leo was playing for the junior team. As much as Ken likes to have fun, he prefers to watch his brother playing the game like he was born for it. After the match ended, Ken waited for his brother, hugging his Spongebob doll and feeling really hungry.

Then a stranger came up to him and offered a candy.

His parents had told him that he should not take candy from a stranger but that guy was not really a stranger. He was the guy who Ken always sees hanging out at some parts of the town.

The  guy always smiles at him but Leo warned him to not even look at the stranger.

So Ken took it but then he felt sleepy. The guy then told him to lie down while waiting for his brother. The guy offered to take care of his Spongebob and Ken felt safe enough to close his eyes.

The shouting woke him up and he watched with sleepy eyes as Leo shouted at the guy to go away. But the guy did not hear him and quickly lifted Ken and ran.

He saw his brother running after him and it was then he realised the guy was taking him away.

He cried out loud and squirmed against the guy’s hold but it was useless because he was not strong enough.

The guy tried to force him into a car but he was kicked by Leo and Leo knew how to kick properly. While the guy was groaning with pain, Leo pulled him out of the car but somehow Leo did not follow him.

He turned around and saw Leo grabbing his Spongebob doll from the car but it was too late. The guy quickly shoved Leo inside the car and drove away.

Ken had never felt so scared and helpless in his life as he chased the car in vain.

Tears flowed freely from his eyes as he sank to his knees. A lady was present at the scene and she quickly called the police. She even managed to capture the car’s plate number.

The next few days were a blur as the police worked hard to track the kidnapper. They succeeded and Ken was overjoyed that they found Leo alive. He rushed down the stairs with his messy hair and red-rimmed eyes when he heard the doorbell.

When he opened the door, he realised Leo would never been the same again.

It turned out that the suspect was a human-trafficker and prefer children as his target. He enjoyed hearing their cries so he tortured them just to listen to their screams.

Leo had to go to the hospital because his throat was badly-damaged from too much screaming.

His throat healed in time but time could not heal his trauma.


 

But as they grew older, he was grateful for his hyung. He never stopped caring for him and always look out for him in silence. So he began to ignore the insults but the guilt was still there.

Ken always brought Leo to his singing practices, hoping they could practice together but Leo just shook his head and Ken understood. But everytime he finishes his practice, Ken always eagerly looked at Leo for his response and he always got a nod but that was enough for him.

A few days before his 16th birthday ( Leo was 18 years old at that time ), Ken received an anonymous letter with some lyrics and music notes written on it. The letter told him he had to sing the part on his birthday. The lyrics was about a sad love story where the guy lose his love. It was weird but it was beautifully written so he memorised it anyway.

He asked Ravi to help him with the melody and he asked N to help him understand the words because the writing was messy and N somehow understood it. He really wanted to practice with Leo but Leo always went out late so he never had the chance.

On the day of his  birthday party, he was having fun with Hongbin and Hyuk with his new PS4 when suddenly everyone had to gather at the lawn where a makeshift stage was erected.

He thought there would be a clown ( he likes clowns ) but then he noticed Leo was on stage and a familiar melody was heard playing.

( try to imagine Leo and Ken Cold at Night HEX-SIGN live stage )

He watched with shock as Leo sang, his beautiful soft voice rang throughout the place. Leo gave him a look and Ken quickly climbed the stage and sang his part.

It was the most surreal moment for him as they both sang their best.

When they finished and the audience apllauded , Leo qucikly ran away and Ken followed him but not without a plate full of cake.

“ Thank you, hyung. That is the best gift I ever had. But what song is that? I never heard it before?”, he found Leo in his room and they sat together on the floor.

“ It’s my song”.

“ Oh. That’s why N could read your handwriting and you must have been practicing at N’s house during those late nightouts”.

“I glad you like it”, Leo replied before eating the cake.

Ken thought long and hard and he gathered his courage to say what he wanted to say.

“ I’m sorry, hyung for causing you to be kidnapped. If I don’t take the candy then......”, Ken stopped when Leo lightly flicked his forehead.

“I’m your hyung. I always need to take care of you. Now, be quiet and eat the cake”.

Ken laughed, feeling happy after listening to his brother’s words. He had forgave him and the guilt he had harboured for years had disappeared.

He loves his brother and his brother loves him too, in his own quiet way.


A/N Sorry if this is short. This idea had been stuck in my head and I need to write it down. I hope you like it.

Also, please leave a comment so I can improve my writing in the future.